View Full Version : PEP Program???~Cleveland Unit, Texas Prison

ridgedog
12-11-2008, 02:48 PM
My son was just transferred to Cleveland to participate in the PEP program. I would love to hear from anyone with a loved one in this program. I've read the website and heard a little from my son, but would like to hear more. He starts in January.

Thanks,
ridgie

britecloud
02-17-2009, 12:06 PM
Funny...I just read something of BBC on this program.

Here is the link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7839957.stm

oxygen's mom
03-01-2009, 07:45 PM
My son was just transferred to Cleveland to participate in the PEP program. I would love to hear from anyone with a loved one in this program. I've read the website and heard a little from my son, but would like to hear more. He starts in January.

Thanks,
ridgie

Do you mind me asking how your son was chosen to participate in the program? I know they chose the inmates theres no applications to be filled
out and they ( someone from PEP ) visit and interveiw inmates from each prison system I was just woundering if there are certain things besides whats on there website thanks.

ridgedog
03-04-2009, 04:40 PM
There was an article in the New York Times a couple of weeks ago. I cannot post the address in the forum, but I can tell you to go to the NYT site and search "PEP Program". It was an informative article and they used my son, Paul's picture!

Paul was invited to join a room full of inmates in Briscoe prison before Thanksgiving. They showed a video and told everyone who had sexual convictions, gang affilation, and major cases to leave the room. Then they asked more questions and eventually reduced the number of men in the room to just 3 or 4. Paul filled out pages and pages of questions. He was accepted and sent to Cleveland. There have been 2 reschedulings for the beginning of class, but I think they actually started this week. There have been several more panels of peers asking questions and individual interviews with the head of the program started last week. I hope Paul can remain with the program until it is successfully completed. The main interest seems to be if the inmates are truly desiring to change their lives after release. I wish there were more programs like this available to a wider section of inmates. With more of these programs, there would be fewer returing inmates after release.

ridgie

feathers1
03-15-2009, 02:47 PM
My son started the pep program at Cleveland Tx. right before class 11. My husband and I visited him the week end after he started and he really likes it. We were suprised to see him in navy blue rather than the old white. He stays up late at night and has many interviews but there are relaxed times too, like the room that is just for pep and music and the funny little names they give to each other to break the ice. He said the food is good but they aren`t allowed to get seconds. They are expected to be men of integrity and honor. Everyone seems to like it there and have highest respect for Catherine Rhor. I hope your son likes it as well.

ridgedog
03-16-2009, 03:40 PM
Thanks, Feathers1! They had their kickoff almost 2 weeks ago. I am planning to go see my son next weekend. Via letters, Paul has told me that he is really busy and that he really likes it. I'll let you know more after I visit him.

ridgie

CHASELENEA
03-18-2009, 01:08 AM
My bf just informed he is interviewing tomorrow to go to cleveland..... I am so excited that will put him a lot closer to home... Does anyone know if this unit is a regular TDC unit??

GraysonMom
03-20-2009, 07:03 PM
Chase, Cleveland is another private facility ran by GEO. Hope this helps and God bless as always....:)

CHASELENEA
03-22-2009, 06:01 AM
Thanks Graysonmom!!!!! It does.... I have actually googled the progrm name and found a site that gives a lot of info!!!!

GraysonMom
03-22-2009, 06:26 AM
Congrats again Chase. It seems so funny us being in this section. I'm glad he's getting moved. I know your happy. Hang in there and keep us posted. Blessings as always and have a great Sunday....:)

Dalyns_mom
03-30-2009, 06:20 PM
My fiance is in the PEP program and it has helped him SOOOO much!! It is such a blessing!! He comes home May 18, 2009 and I know he is a changed man becasue of this program!!

ridgedog
03-31-2009, 10:04 AM
My fiance is in the PEP program and it has helped him SOOOO much!! It is such a blessing!! He comes home May 18, 2009 and I know he is a changed man becasue of this program!!

I know you can't wait for him to come home. My son (Class XI) is doing well with the program. I looked at pictures yesterday showing him and the other classmates dancing, wearing silly hats, and meeting the CEOs. It was almost as good as a visit. I encourage my son at every opportunity to stick with the program but I really don't think he needs my encouragement. He knows how well this program will impact his life at his release time. I sure wish there were more of these programs to reach out to the general population of prisoners. It is so important that we teach them something constructive while they are incarcerated to keep fewer from returing to prison.

Paul will be released in 2010 unless parolled before then. He is under consideration for parole right now!!! I would like him to finish the program before he comes home..:D

ridgie

Dalyns_mom
04-04-2009, 07:37 PM
I know you can't wait for him to come home. My son (Class XI) is doing well with the program. I looked at pictures yesterday showing him and the other classmates dancing, wearing silly hats, and meeting the CEOs. It was almost as good as a visit. I encourage my son at every opportunity to stick with the program but I really don't think he needs my encouragement. He knows how well this program will impact his life at his release time. I sure wish there were more of these programs to reach out to the general population of prisoners. It is so important that we teach them something constructive while they are incarcerated to keep fewer from returing to prison.

Paul will be released in 2010 unless parolled before then. He is under consideration for parole right now!!! I would like him to finish the program before he comes home..:D

ridgie

It is an amazing program!! I am so thankful that he has the chance to be apart of it. And no, i can't wait...almost four weeks away!!!!!

juliansmom
10-25-2009, 04:39 PM
Hello, I haven't posted in a Long time...too depressed. I just found out my son went to PEP Program. He had written me he was going in December and its only October - guess he went early! Hope this means he will get out sooner. I am in El Paso and have no transportation. I would Love to go and visit at Cleveland. Can't find where to post a ride share..I know its here somewhere! :)

If anyone has any info on the PEP program or a rideshare I would appreciate a PM. Haven't seen my son since he was incarcerated 2 years ago. I know there is an extensive interview process to get into PEP; my son could sell ice to people living in Iceland and have them thanking him! He also told me if he completes the entire program including 6 months after his release he will receive a $10,000 grant to start a business. How cool is that! I wonder if its true...

Anyone out there know anything about PEP or Cleveland? Thank you, Mary (juliansmom)

juliansmom
11-21-2009, 12:49 AM
Do you mind me asking how your son was chosen to participate in the program? I know they chose the inmates theres no applications to be filled
out and they ( someone from PEP ) visit and interveiw inmates from each prison system I was just woundering if there are certain things besides whats on there website thanks.

Hi there. I don't know any specifics on how he was chosen. I do know that he was working as a trustee in the office at his last assigned location. He told me he was bored with painting the parking strips outside and that the only educational opportunity where he was at was GED or high school, which he had already completed. His IQ is very high and he was advanced 2 years when he was in school. He didn't tell me he had applied to PEP, although I had sent him some info from President Obama's website - about how the government was putting together programs to assist offenders upon release - PEP was not specifically mentioned.

From recent letters he says he is way too busy to write much. He described the Cleveland Unit as "lovely" as far as prisons go and said he would be happy to do the rest of his time there. He mentioned he was notified by letter that he had been accepted into the PEP program. I will emessage him and ask how he got in - if he knows - and post here as soon as I find out.

It is difficult for me to go to El Paso and pick up my mail but I know I am going to be able to get my mail Nov 30th since I have to go to El Paso for a doctor appointment. Hopefully he will have answered my letter. His homework load is heavy and he says there is a LOT of reading self-help books. From what I read it is not so easy to get into PEP.

Anyone with any info please let me know..and have a good Thanksgiving everyone!
regards,
Mary

kel1313
11-24-2009, 07:44 PM
My husband will be starting the PEP program in January and he just got to Cleveland. He was previously at the Darrington Unit Trustee Camp and a representative from the PEP program gave a presentation about the program and basically weeded through the interested applicants to find the ones most suited to the program and my husband happened to be one of the ones he chose.

ReggiesLady
11-24-2009, 09:37 PM
There are lots of articles on the PEP program. If you google Catherine Rohr you'll find lots of information on it. She is the lady who started it. Unfortunately, she was just banned from all TX prisons but the program will be allowed to continue. It's a wonderful thing. From what I've heard, a lot of ex-drug dealers make good candidates for the program because of their "selling" ability.

juliansmom
11-25-2009, 10:26 PM
I just got a letter from my son who is at Cleveland. He said even though he is there where the PEP program is, he still has to get voted into PEP by his peers.

I am in Mexico right now and mail takes forever to get here. His letter was dated Oct 29 and today is Nov 25. He cannot call me in Mexico so by the time I get news its usually three weeks old :(

From what he said, classes start in January. He also said the food is on the skimpy side, so those of you with loved ones there might send a little extra $ for the store.

Good luck to all those at Cleveland PEP. From what I have googled it changes lives.

I would appreciate anyone with specific info on PEP passing it on to me.

warm regards from Mary

iLoVeMyeDDie
12-10-2009, 07:00 PM
My husband is on his way to the pep program can anyone give me any info

juliansmom
12-10-2009, 10:01 PM
Hi there. My son is at the PEP program. He says it is "lovely there, as far as prisons go.."
They are kept pretty busy and are not allowed to do anything gang related, no gambling, etc. The men in the PEP program are voted in by their peers. If they want to stay in the program it takes a lot of hard work. Lots of self-improvement books are required reading and the rules are very strict. But according to my son its worth it. The people running PEP really seem to care that the participants suceed.
The only complaint my son has is that the food is on the skimpy side. So if you can send a little extra money for commissary it would be appreciated.
I took a look at the commissary price list and its pretty steep--here's a few examples: Folgers coffee $5.95. hot chocolate $2.40 cereal bars $2.75. cup of soup 25cents, tuna $1.15. Its pretty cold right now and thermals cost $3.20 to $6.50 depending on size...
Everyone there is on their best behavior and completing the entire program has a lot of benefits. Google Cleveland PEP Program, there is a lot of info on the internet about the program.
A few other things: they are not allowed to receive Christmas packages there and cannot call out to cell phones - only land lines.
The best things you can do is write your loved one lots of letters and send a bit of extra money. Knowing that someone cares can make all the difference between success and failure there - and the pressure is high.
Good luck, Mary

divachick06
03-04-2010, 11:24 PM
any updates on this unit....my bf might get moved there.

juliansmom
03-06-2010, 10:37 AM
Is he going into the PEP program?? go to pep.org and sign up for PEP's newsletter. If you have specific questions please feel free to PM me.
regards,
juliansmom

luvinhim24/7
03-13-2010, 12:35 PM
What is the PEP program?

divachick06
03-24-2010, 12:07 AM
i did that as well so i can keep up with it and I know this program will help him so much and he is looking forward to this program. I pray everything will go good for him... he deserves the best and he needs that in his life. They already talked to him and by the sounds of it he might be getting moved any day now. the class starts in JULy.... plus it will much closer to home.
thanks for the info and i will keep u posted!

Is he going into the PEP program?? go to pep.org and sign up for PEP's newsletter. If you have specific questions please feel free to PM me.
regards,
juliansmom

juliansmom
06-03-2010, 09:07 AM
hi, my name is Mary. My son is graduating from the pep program next week. I am very busy today but if you will PM me I will sit down and write you an email with lots of info, links, etc. The program is WONDERFUL. My son is a changed man. I am going to see him at his graduation and haven't seen him for 3 years. He is going to be mentoring the incoming class so perhaps he will meet your son.
regards, Mary

PS: do you plan to visit there?

divachick06
06-05-2010, 12:14 AM
My bf was accepted but TDCJ classification denied his transfer and therfore he cant go!! How depressing it really bummed us out and for while we were just trying to get things situated with this issue but we overcame and we are just being positive about it. This would of helped him a lot to be successful but wither way im doing my best to help him be positive and still continue to reach his goals.

iLoVeMyeDDie
08-22-2010, 03:02 AM
This is a awsome program... my hubby graduated june 11 and made parole last week he is home in 30 days yeay!!!!

juliansmom
08-22-2010, 07:59 PM
This is a awsome program... my hubby graduated june 11 and made parole last week he is home in 30 days yeay!!!!
my son graduated from the same class. we went to the graduation - it was the first time I saw my son in 3 years. He is a different person! do you mind if I PM you?
mary martinez

marthad
01-08-2011, 10:57 AM
Is there anyone from Fort Worth area going to Cleveland Unit ? i can drive ..