View Full Version : cost of medication for inmates

booster
12-09-2008, 09:46 PM
Hello,

Is the inmate responsible for medication costs or does the facility provide them at no cost? My husband has been taking 2 things per day for about 3 years at no cost to him. He recently went to the nurse for another issue, was issued a prescription cream and now all of his money is frozen (about $140) He is thinking it has something to do with the prescriptions or visit, of course no one will tell him anything....

thanks...

SpunkyMonkey
12-10-2008, 01:12 PM
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the money for dr visits and meds comes out of their money. I can't explain why the money hasn't come out in the past but that they might have just caught it when he went in this last time. :( Where my hubby is...it costs $5 to visit the Dr. Meds, I believe it depends on what kind. It wouldn't hurt to call the facility and ask for the warden on duty in the med unit. They might be able to answer your questions. :thumbsup:

booster
12-11-2008, 12:59 PM
I think I found out what's going on. He is at a Parish Jail, but is property of the DOC. I read law RS15:824 and it states that when DOC inmates are held at Parish jails, the DOC pays the jail $$24.39 per day per inmate. This payment pays the jail for "keeping and feeding" (ha that's funny....feeding.....does slop count as "feeding"???) the inmate. The jail has to file a report each month with a list of all DOC inmates and thier medical expenses for reimbursement.
So, if they get paid by the state for the medical expenses, plus charge my husband AGAIN for the meds, they're getting paid twice. WRONG:angry:

I think they don't realize that he's a DOC inmate, not a parish inmate.
In your case, your husband is a DOC inmate at a DOC place, so he pays for his own meds.

what do you think?

SpunkyMonkey
12-11-2008, 10:55 PM
Hmmm....I don't know. NOTHING would surprise me in the cracked-up system here in Louisiana!!! :rolleyes:

LifeTraveler
12-12-2008, 01:23 AM
I know when my husband was in a parish jail, they charged for doctor visits AND medication.

Now that he is in the custody of DOC, I'm not really sure how they do it. I know he went to the infirmary the other day for some Pepto Bismal, but so far he hasn't mentioned anything to me about charging him.

I know he's still not in a DOC facility. He's in one of those privately run facilities.

In this screwy state, who knows?

love1lockedup
05-09-2009, 06:32 PM
I know when my husband was in a parish jail, they charged for doctor visits AND medication.

Now that he is in the custody of DOC, I'm not really sure how they do it. I know he went to the infirmary the other day for some Pepto Bismal, but so far he hasn't mentioned anything to me about charging him.

I know he's still not in a DOC facility. He's in one of those privately run facilities.

In this screwy state, who knows?

they are charged for dr's and medicine at private facilities also