View Full Version : Reading v. prescription glasses

Patient2
11-27-2008, 07:23 PM
I'm awaiting designation, presumably to Bryan on January 12. Can someone please tell me, from recent experience, if I can bring in and keep my reading glasses. I've seen conflicting info. If they don't let me keep my reading glasses, are they available in commissary? or should I go ahead and get a prescription I don't really need yet? Thanks for all your help and info in this forum. Seems like the silliest things worry us most. At least I've already found out that hair color is available!!

missmkm
11-29-2008, 12:16 PM
When I was transferred to Bryan in 10/07- I had my glasses and they didn't inquire if they were prescribed or reading. I don't recall reading glasses being on the commissary list unless it has changed since 4/08. My friend arrived same day as me (in Oct. 07) and left March 08 and within that time period got a pair of glasses and she needed them bad. So, I thought it was reasonable for her- it met the need- even though they are a 70's style frame and everyone gets the same. However, with dental the waiting list for non-emergency services is over a year long. So get a good cleaning before you leave.

joetnymedic
11-29-2008, 03:59 PM
Depending on where you go, they may have reading glasses at commissary. I know Devens did. The rule was you can bring in regular prescription glasses in but not reading glasses

Soon to Go...
12-28-2008, 11:40 PM
Hair color is available? Is there like a salon too? I get split ends like crazy....

Patient2
12-29-2008, 09:08 AM
That's what I heard... yay! There is a cosmetology course, so probably there is a salon. I'm hoping to work on my split ends as well as learn more about make-up. At the men's camp in Bastrop, there was a barber shop and guys who knew how did the cutting in exchange for commissary items.

unitedforchrist
01-15-2009, 09:05 PM
They will not know if your glasses or prescription or reading. Take them with you. You cannot buy them on commisary. You can get prescription ones, but they are what we all called birth control glasses. You can buy some but they are very expensive. The cheapest pair i got was $250