View Full Version : Inmate to pay for Doctor visits

whisky 23
11-26-2008, 10:01 AM
Inmates to Pay for Doctor Visits (http://www.newspaperclips.com/npcapp/bounce.aspx/publisher/19923/13/UHVibGlzaGVyIFVzZXI~/232226348)
(Waco KXXV (ABC) 25 11/26/2008)
by Kim Wynne BELTON - Bell County inmates may think twice before their next trip to the doctor after Commissioners passed a new plan Monday that requires inmates to pay medical co-payments. Under the plan, inmates' fees would go as follows: * $7.00 for a doctor visit * $7.00 for a dental visit * $4.00 to see the nurse * $5.00 to get a prescription

smallngood
11-27-2008, 12:02 AM
I was unable to bring up the whole story on line, old computer here- -but- -right off, I do NOT agree with raising any medical fees for Texas inmates- -see, I pay taxes, my taxes have ended up in other countries helping all sorts of people, which is fine- -so long as "we" help our OWN first.
TDC- -my OWN opinion, makes a good deal of money off inmates as it is, tdc has a LOT of inmates that have NO MONEY, and NO way to get any, and DO get sick, very sick on some- -to the point they die, simple.
Why on earth they are even charging anything is just beyond me.
We help country after country, but here in our OWN land, we make the impossible people pay- -what is wrong with this picture?
America should help their own first- -nothing hard about this. Be it in prison or not, but since this is about prison, I will try to stick to that only.
By raising the prices, the inmates that can barely get by now will not seek help- -therefore, it is putting the "non-sick" in danger PLUS the officers and whoever else works around them.
Surely to goodness something can and should be done about raising these cost- -true, cost on other things have gone up, but we are talking about a life, not a car, building or whatever, but a life in need of help.
Me- -personally, this is flat stupid. I SEE these guys that need help and have no money, I SEE these guys that can barely make it now, have no family, no one to turn to for help.
I can't belive our state is getting this darn dumb, greedy and flat ignorant. (keeping it nice here). MY tax money, I have a right to say where it goes!
If they want to raise it- -well, then PAY the inmates when they work- -real simple! It would eliminate the ones that are abusing the system of medical care, then the cost would(should) go down.
Be safe.

Redhead4
11-30-2008, 08:01 PM
I agree, Smallngood. It is grossly unfair to charge people who have no money (many have no money), and no way to earn money! It's a way of making the prison staff's workload lighter by letting more people die in prison. That's cold, I know, but it kind of boils down to that. Please tell me this law didn't pass. If it's still up to be voted on, let me know, and I'll write my legislators. Thanks.

Daywalker
12-01-2008, 02:01 AM
Even though I think it's ludicrous, and they won't accept an inmate's health insurance (mine is on my policy), if they will stop screwing with his psych meds, I'll pay the damned co-pays.

strawberry6977
12-07-2008, 01:29 PM
That's the exact same co-pay stuff Denton County Jail had when my husband was there. It's not unheard of. They don't deny anyone medical care (that is illegal), but if they have the money in their commissary account, they will deduct it out automatically.

SusanE
12-07-2008, 01:42 PM
When my husband was in county jail, I would send money for him and they would take HALF of his money to pay for any medical services he acquired. This was only while in county, but in TDC he had a spider bite and received free medical care and medication, I say free because they didn't take it out of the money on his books.
I could not read the article to be sure but I believe this article possibly applies to county jails and not TDC, atleast it is more understandable to charge while in county. I know counties still make money off of their inmates but most have to transport them to private Dr. and Dentist offices that are not employed by the state or county.

scchic
12-07-2008, 10:36 PM
I think that TDCJ is probably just trying to make a buck. I think that if they were all under the philosophy to parole all the inmates that need to be paroled and do it in a timely manner, then they wouldn't have to worry about the rising costs of running a prison system. I think the next thing to happen is that they will want to charge the inmates for laundry service. If you want new linens, towels, etc then you have to pay for the services. So then inmates will just keep using their old nasty towels and linens and end up getting staph infections and then transmit it to another who will pass it to another and then it will become and epidemic! But since some of the inmates can't afford to go see the doctor after contracting staph and then paying for medications they will just end up dying! Sorry, I went off on a tangent. I think that eventually TDCJ will start charging for everything! Maybe they will start charging inmates for visits!

strawberry6977
12-08-2008, 10:38 AM
Yeah, if TDCJ improves their medical care for the inmates by charging co-pays...then I'll just pay it. If they are going to continue the same crappy service and not give a darn about these inmate's health and safety...then NO THANK YOU!

karen
12-09-2008, 07:55 PM
I think that TDCJ is probably just trying to make a buck. I think that if they were all under the philosophy to parole all the inmates that need to be paroled and do it in a timely manner, then they wouldn't have to worry about the rising costs of running a prison system. I think the next thing to happen is that they will want to charge the inmates for laundry service. If you want new linens, towels, etc then you have to pay for the services. So then inmates will just keep using their old nasty towels and linens and end up getting staph infections and then transmit it to another who will pass it to another and then it will become and epidemic! But since some of the inmates can't afford to go see the doctor after contracting staph and then paying for medications they will just end up dying! Sorry, I went off on a tangent. I think that eventually TDCJ will start charging for everything! Maybe they will start charging inmates for visits!

Uhmmmm, the article is talking about Bell county raising medical co-payment, not TDCJ. And I hate to bust your bubble, but TDCJ does charge inmates for doctor visits. Those darn blood suckers! It used to be $3, I'm not sure if it has gone up or not.

IMO 3 dollars or 7 dollars it is a whole lot cheaper than what I pay when I go to the doctor. I don't think it is unreasonable to ask inmates to cover some of the expense. (And remember in TDCJ they only pay once for a particular illness. So, if they go to medical for a staph infection they pay $3 for the first visit and that covers the cost of their medicine and then if they have to go back, they still do not have to pay for the follow up visit. ) If they have money on thier books, they can pay a little for medical... it might mean they have to fore go an ice cream sandwichand some sodas. But it also will help keep inmates from going to the doctor for any little reason. I think there has to be a balance. They are not making it so horribly expensive that it is going to break the inmate.

mrsmorelock827
12-09-2008, 08:22 PM
i always send my husband extra money incase he needs to go to medical because I got so used to county charging him, he said that if he didn't have money on his books that they would give him medical attention as someone stated earlier. And I would so much rather pay their price... especially for dental 3 bucks to get your tooth pulled. I'm about to dish out 300.00 for my wisdom teeth to be taken out and that's after insurance. So I told my husband get as much done as possible while your in there so I don't have to pay as much when you get out. Lol. (as far as dental goes)

scchic
12-09-2008, 11:44 PM
okay sorry about mistaking medical cost about TDCJ. Sorry.

strawberry6977
12-10-2008, 03:01 PM
Thanks for clarifying, Karen. I didn't bother to read in detail that it was Bell County (I tend to skim over the articles sometimes, as I read numerous at a time sometimes). I thought TDCJ already had co-pays, but I wasn't sure...I havent seen the break-down of charges from commissary money. Still, if they are charging co-pays, they need to improve their healthcare. Hmph!

rvlm
12-10-2008, 07:02 PM
Three dollars for the first visit with follow up visits free does not pay for very much medical care nowdays.

karen
12-10-2008, 10:42 PM
Oh I agree the medical assistance is crap, no argument there. I guess it is just the way my brain works... I am always trying to figure out the reason "why" behind the ludicracy of TDCJ. Thus my opinion about finding a balance. But you are right about 3 dollars not paying for very much medical care.

It's kinda like my momma used to say, "If someone tries to sell you a 10 cent diamond ring, chances are the rings is only worth a nickle."

I fuss at hubby about taking care of himself. I try to get him to take vitamins, and have finally convinced him that keeping asprin, coldbusters, and triple antibiotic ointment is just as important as coffee and ramen noodle soups!

Other things... he buys toothpaste so he can save the toothpowder (which is baking soda) and he uses that for upset tummies and indigestion. A small amount of bleach is critical to have when there is a major infection that is being spread around. And finally a pair of shoes off commissary so that when he has to tromp through the rain he has a dry pair he can put on and wear. Hubby just bought boots off commissary and they were 17.50. So for about $30 we got him set up with his own little "get well" kit.

Sorry, I got off on a tangent there.

Karen