View Full Version : I have a felony on record can I travel to Israel?

11-13-2008, 09:15 AM
Hello - I am through with probation but have a felony on my recoed. Can I travel to Israel from the U.S. I have a U.S. passport- recently renewed.

Thank you so much!

11-13-2008, 09:26 AM
Provided it wasnt some kind of terrorist charge and your PROBATION (not even parole) is over with I cant imagine why you wouldnt be able to!

11-13-2008, 11:18 AM
You can as long as you have your passport and you are off probation/parole.

11-16-2008, 10:49 AM
Hello - I am through with probation but have a felony on my recoed. Can I travel to Israel from the U.S. I have a U.S. passport- recently renewed.

Thank you so much!

wow...that question has been on my mind for awhile. i want to take my boyfriend who is a convicted felon to israel, year when he's out. let me know what info you find out about this!! if you've been to israel before you know how customs works...meaning if you're from israel or have family there they'll be easy on you. i'm hoping because i'm jewish and i have family in israel that they'll be easier on my boyfriend.

11-16-2008, 04:32 PM
You might want to check here..just to make sure...

Embassy of Israel in the USA
3514 International Drive NW, Washington, DC 20008, USA
Tel: (202) 364 5500 or 5527 (consular section).

Israel Government Tourist Office in the USA
800 Second Avenue, 16th Floor, New York, NY 10017, USA
Tel: (212) 499 5660 or 1 888 774 7723.

11-16-2008, 10:47 PM
In general: If you are on probation/parole, you will need to go through several things:
1. You will need the permission of you PO.
2. You will need permission from the state you were convicted / federal permission
3. You will need to go to court for the formal letter of permission so you can apply for the passport.
4. You will need to get a visa from the nation you are wanting to go to.

More and more countries are not accepting felons. Especially ones convicted of violence. Some will allow you to visit but you will have a very small window to work in, and in some cases, even be prohibited from going to certain places within the country.

It is best to start with the embassy and work your way backwards to your PO with regards to getting information. That way you can say "They said .... and here is the documents to prove it...".
Then start forwards again with getting everything on paper so you can make your application for passport and visa.

The courts, or even your PO, may require you to surrender your passport upon return.

One thing is clear, if you have not been out of the system for more than three years, the chances of getting anywhere near a passport is slim. This will prove you are not a flight risk and that your pattern of behavior is established, et al.

If you are really intent on going, then it would be advisable to hire an attorney that handles passport issues, or issues of state.

As for Israel - if you are a Jew, you could even get citizenship! Which may be a limiting factor in the US from getting the passport (for fear of going and not coming back).

11-17-2008, 01:05 AM
Entry requirements for Americans: United States citizens require a valid passport, but no visa is needed for stays of up to three months.

Passport/Visa Note: Passports must be valid for at least six months after period of intended stay and visitors must hold onward or return tickets and sufficient funds to cover their stay in Israel. Travellers intending to visit Arab countries (other than Egypt, Jordan or United Arab Emirates) after leaving Israel should ensure that their passport does not contain Israeli visas or stamps, otherwise entry into Arab countries with such passports will be denied; it is sometimes possible to have a separate sheet of paper stamped instead. However if travelling to the Occupied Territories proof of entry to Israel must be shown in passports. Since February 2007 all foreign nationals need a multiple re-entry visa to enter and exit Gaza through the Erez crossing point.

Note: Passport and visa requirements are liable to change at short notice. Travellers are advised to check their entry requirements with their embassy or consulate.

However I would check with the consulate before travelling because some people are even being denied access to canada if they have a felony charge against them. Just double check before you leave.

11-17-2008, 06:06 AM