View Full Version : Alabama - for the month of October there is to be a State Wide Boycott

danielle
08-22-2002, 06:16 PM
This is from Roberta Franklin - an activist in Alabama. Pass it along to anybody you know with a loved one in Alabama.

State Wide Boycott

To all the Families of Inmates who are serving time in the Alabama Corrections System. We are asking for a statewide boycott of the Alabama Prison phone System, and the private companies that hold the contracts to provide phone service to the outside families of the inmate population.

The entire month of October is designated the month of the Stamp.Please send your family members some stamps so that they can be prepared to write home. We are tired of the Alabama Department of "Corruption's" robbing us! We don't have to put up with this gross overcharging for something that is that important as a precious phone call. How ever if this gross abuse of overcharging is not stopped, "WE WILL HIT THEM WHERE IT HURTS." Their Pockets

Contact me@ 334 224 2364 or roberta@robertafranklin.com

DON'T FORGET NO CALLS FROM ALABAMA PRISONS, JAILS OR OTHER INSTITUTIONS!!!
DON'T CALL US, WE WILL CALL YOU, ALDER.

Rosebud
09-01-2002, 07:54 PM
Danielle:

Please let me know if this worked for you all. We are, as everyone else is, having phone troubles here in TN and a group of wives here would like to work on getting it changed. This sounds like a wonderful idea.

Adelle

willsgrl25
09-19-2002, 07:45 PM
ill be watching and praying

willsgrl25
09-19-2002, 07:45 PM
oh by the way im here and alabama and my mom is a guard and she says best of luck

jbmccormick
09-19-2002, 08:32 PM
Danielle,

I sure hope and pray that you receive the desired results for this effort.

I am only concerned of the potential for a backlash where the system discovers that there is no need to maintain telephones for the inmates and then removes the phones entirely or takes on the same system as Texas.

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/faq/faq-id.htm

Its the last question in the FAQ.

I ABSOLUTELY agree that there MUST be reform in the prison phone system. I am only concerned that what little privilige you have could be jeopardized by this action.

This is only my opinion, but I would be slow to do anything that could even possibly jeopardize having phone calls from my loved one. Oh yeah... She's in Texas. I don't ever get any because she calls her mother if she has been able to stay out of trouble for three months when the guards will take that privilige away for chewing gum or talking.

I'm sorry for sounding negative toward this noble cause, because like you, I agree that the cost is excessive. Still, I would be willing to pay any price just to be able to talk to her once a week.

Just my opinion.

Jim

WAITING4WILL
09-20-2002, 11:29 AM
jb

fear is the one thing that keep people held captive when there is no need to be. these businesses thrive off of the fear we have of back lash but they also thrive off of our money too. if we not me but we say enough and stand firm in our conviction they'll have to listen. we they don't have enough revenue to pay for the space their renting or pay employees. we hold the power on this front not them. i think its about time we use it. Danielle u go girl. if you don't stand for something you will fall for anything.

WAITING4WILL
09-20-2002, 11:35 AM
Jb

Fear is the one thing that keep people held captive when there is no need to be. These businesses thrive off of the fear we have of backlash but, they also thrive off of our money too. If we not me but we say enough and stand firm in our conviction they'll have to listen. When they don't have enough revenue to pay for the space their renting or pay employees they will negotiate. We hold the power on this front not them. I think its about time we use it. Danielle, u go girl. If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything.

MichaelsGrl
09-23-2002, 03:04 PM
Does anyone know about how much each phone call costs? I have no idea how much they cost so Michael and I try to limit them to only one call per week. By the way, I didn't think that AL inmates could receive stamps through the mail. Can they?

danielle
09-23-2002, 05:02 PM
Hi Michaels Girl - I live in Mississippi and my husband is an inmate in Alabama. Currently he is at Fountain, which is in Atmore.

For him to call me there is a $4.00 connection fee, $5.88 for the first minute and 89 cents for each additional minute. There is also an additional tax added, causing each phone call to be between $25 and $30.

My husband can receive stamps directly in the mail - he could receive them when he was at Kilby as well.

Welcome to PTO - and email me (e-mail address removed per PTO policy) or PM me if you ever want to talk.