View Full Version : Don't know where to start...

Soon to Go...
11-09-2008, 05:24 PM
Hello All,

I just found out that I am sentenced to Bryan for 13 months. I am so distraught over this mostly because I have no idea where to start preparing. I am 22 years old. I have a 13 month old son who will be staying with my parents. I would like to continue to get my degree in teaching and do not know what programs are there.

I am so scared.

I am from Grapevine (which is about 30 minutes north of Dallas and Fort Worth) and my family will not be able to visit very often. I am trying to be able to go to Carswell, but I am not sure of how that will work.

Does anyone know of what I need to get started (papers, legal documents for custody of my son, medical forms)?

I am on 2 perscriptions that I take daily. Although they are not pertinan for my life, one is an anti-depressant that I KNOW I will need, and the other is a sleeping medication that I KNOW I will need. Will I be able to take them?

If there is anything else anyone reading can think of, please, PLEASE let me know.

Thank you for the help!

LeaAnn
11-09-2008, 06:27 PM
Welcome to PTO!

LINDAK
11-10-2008, 02:26 PM
[quote=Soon to Go...;4152386]Hello All,
I know how you must feel of course I am older and my daughter in law and son have a 6 month old little girl. I am awaiting sentencing for a white collar crime I did back in January and have never been in trouble and hate the shame I have brought to my kids. I hope somone will you give you some advise I have been on here for several months and have learned alot. Linda

toddslady
11-11-2008, 11:10 AM
As far as your baby....go to an attorney, and sign over power of attorney, as well as guardianship over to your parents. I did that with my mom for my two daughters so that she wouldn't have any issues with anything. I also added her to my checking account as an additional signer.

It's been a while since I've been in Bryan, but they do have classes through the college there. Although, I don't know if you will be there long enough to really take advantage of any of them. Someone who has been there more recently than me may be able to help more with that aspect, an what it's like there now. I was there from May 2003 to November 2004.

carlyk
11-18-2008, 11:25 AM
I was just released from Bryan. You will not be there long enough to take anything except Horticulture. I did and the program is wonderful the Teacher, Ms. Khyle Morgan is absolutely wonderful. I was there for a year and a half...it's not bad at all. You will meet the most amazing people there. If you do go to Bryan, find Dana Filipello in the RDAP unit she is like a sister to me and will show you the way...plus she'll introduce you to other amazing people...also look up Teresa Estrada or Shelly Abernathy in the Brazos 1 unit....You have nothing to fear, focus on yourself and things will turn out wonderfully.

Patient2
11-27-2008, 07:12 PM
Soon to Go and LindaK, I'm scheduled to report January 12, presumably to Bryan, although I don't have my designation letter yet. These folks on this forum are incredibly helpful. There's a whole other world of "us" that used to be normal people. We will just all have to take care of ourselves. I live in Irving, not far from Grapevine Soon to Go, so maybe we will meet there. Thanks to CarlyK for the names. My husband just released from Bastrop Camp, and seeing that, I can tell you that there is nothing to be worried about...not like you see in the movies. The biggest problem for those guys is boredom. Also, we have met more nice people inside than outside, so what does that say? Heads up everybody, we will get through all this nonsense.

luvmyjack
12-05-2008, 02:39 AM
Soon to Go and LindaK, I'm scheduled to report January 12, presumably to Bryan, although I don't have my designation letter yet. These folks on this forum are incredibly helpful. There's a whole other world of "us" that used to be normal people. We will just all have to take care of ourselves. I live in Irving, not far from Grapevine Soon to Go, so maybe we will meet there. Thanks to CarlyK for the names. My husband just released from Bastrop Camp, and seeing that, I can tell you that there is nothing to be worried about...not like you see in the movies. The biggest problem for those guys is boredom. Also, we have met more nice people inside than outside, so what does that say? Heads up everybody, we will get through all this nonsense.

You have a good attitude about going to prison and you are right.YOu will meet many good people and you will eventually be comfortable and you will feel safe. Bryan is not a bad place at all, and you will have time to work on yourself and taking care of your own needs. take care all going to bryan!:thumbsup: