View Full Version : There is justice sometimes......

dmpdbd
12-09-2003, 11:43 PM
An Interesting Article......................YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!

Wrongly imprisoned man wins $5.3 million settlement

The city of Austin has agreed to pay $5.3 million to a Texas man who spent 12 years in prison for a rape and murder he didn't commit.
Christopher Ochoa, now a Wisconsin resident, was released from prison in 2002, two years after he wrote to the Wisconsin Innocence Project for help. The project is a class of second- and third-year law students at the University of Wisconsin-Madison who investigate possible wrongful convictions.

Ochoa confessed to killing Nancy DePriest at an Austin Pizza Hut in 1988 but later said he was coerced by homicide detectives.

Through DNA evidence, Ochoa became the first wrongly convicted man to be freed from prison through the work of the project.

The Austin City Council voted Nov. 20 to settle Ochoa's suit, which had sought $70 million.

Ochoa is now a first-semester law student at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

StacysWar030
12-10-2003, 05:57 AM
WOW! I think this is AWESOME!! I've heard about this project and KNOW of one person who is in contact with these people regarding his case. I pray they do wonders with other cases!!

Stacy

CathyFL
12-10-2003, 06:06 AM
That is so wonderful but how many people are in prison that are innocent and cant prove it its very sad.