View Full Version : Getting married in Kentucky

Maya2007
10-28-2008, 12:02 PM
Can someone tell me if you can still get married in Kentucky??? My man says that they have put a stop to it because a woman and a man has to be present at the courthouse....

rosedealer
10-28-2008, 07:11 PM
some facilities allow it some don't it depends on the county i think. some one will come along that has that info for you and be able to give you a better answer sorry i can not

Niecy748
11-01-2008, 03:29 PM
I got married August 2007 with my husband in prison. Had to go to Louisville to get the license. It's my understanding Jefferson County is the only courthouse that will issue the license for someone in prison. It was a hassle but worth it! Good luck.

SHAY68
11-04-2008, 06:30 PM
I got married at WKCC Dec.17,2007. I got our liscense at Lyon Co. court house. I believe it depends on the facaility. We were able for it to just be us, but some places does several ceremonies at a time.

catsntrees
11-16-2008, 01:00 PM
I got married in April 2008 at GRCC. First the warden has to approve the request that your husband puts in at the chapel at the prison. Then if you are approved you go and get the marriage license at the county courthouse, at least that is how it happened for me in Muhlenberg County. GRCC had faxed over the info to the county clerk there at the courthouse and all I had to do was show up with the money and my ID and it was done.

Maya2007
11-16-2008, 02:50 PM
Cats-

How did that take?

catsntrees
11-16-2008, 06:12 PM
Maya - I apologize for this but do you mean how long did it take to get all that done or am I missing your meaning? :) As far as how long, my hubby put in the request and Warden Doom approved it within a couple of weeks and then I just had to wait until about 10 days before my wedding date to go to the courthouse and pick up the marriage license which the lady did for me on the spot. I'm sure this probably takes longer possibly at other prison's...but it was pretty easy for me to get done. Hope this helps!

Maya2007
11-16-2008, 06:32 PM
Opps.... Im sorry. Yes I meant how long did that take. I guess I have that ADHD thing at the moment as I was typing...

Thanks. You answered my question. My man is at GRCC too...

D'sbabygirl
01-11-2009, 03:43 PM
Has KY put a stop to all inmate marriages? My fiance' is currently at KSP, and upon his arrival there he was told that KY doesnt allow inmate marriage anymore. I knew some county jails didnt allow it, however I thought all the prisons allowed it.

Elijah's Love
02-09-2009, 11:23 AM
It still depends on which prison facility they're at ... its the warden's descretion if they do them or not

ky12
02-09-2009, 01:00 PM
There are many prisons that still allow it. The bride and groom both have to be present at the County Clerk's Office in order to sign the marriage license. Some prisons will allow inmates to do this and some will not.

TheWarInHer
02-09-2009, 06:10 PM
They allow them. Appropriate paperwork must be filed & approval given (and the terms for denial are very lax).

NatesBabyGirl06
03-03-2009, 04:38 PM
My fiance was locked up in jefferson county aND THE CHAPLAIN HERE SAID THEY DID'NT DO THEM ANYMORE THAT IT DEPENDED ON THE COUNT BUT THAT THE KY ATTORNEY GENERAL SAID NO TO PRISON MARRIAGES

ky12
03-03-2009, 05:44 PM
My fiance was locked up in jefferson county aND THE CHAPLAIN HERE SAID THEY DID'NT DO THEM ANYMORE THAT IT DEPENDED ON THE COUNT BUT THAT THE KY ATTORNEY GENERAL SAID NO TO PRISON MARRIAGES

The Attorney General does not have jurisdiction over the procedures and policies of inmates. It really is up to that particular facility whether or not they allow them.

chrusherswife
04-11-2009, 11:41 PM
When my man was in elliot county at little sandy they told him that they no longer did marriages. Now he has moved to a different facility and they told him that we can get married now.

mp'sbabygirl
05-21-2009, 02:13 PM
I recently checked into getting married in KSP. The county clerk was very nice and helpful. I do agree it depends on the county where your man is, he is still waiting to talk with the chaplin, but so far so good.

TheWarInHer
05-21-2009, 07:32 PM
Is that in Caldwell county, too??? Or is KSP far enough away from WKCC to be in a dif. county? When I Called today, I was told both parties had to be present in order to get a marriage license.

firefly89
06-08-2009, 03:48 PM
Depending on whether it is a man or a woman who is incarcerated, you might be able to get away with it. Kentucky law currently says that only the woman has to be present at the court house to apply for the marriage license, per KRS 402.080, 402.100, and 402.110. So if you can talk a licensed marriage performer (priest, minister, etc.) into going with you to visit the prison and perform the ceremony there, I don't see why it would be a problem.