View Full Version : TDCJ LOCKDOWN SCHEDULE - Notice to Offenders

upwithhope
10-25-2008, 01:34 PM
I received a letter on the back of this...interesting reading -- it's the official rules of a lockdown.

TDCJ LOCKDOWN SCHEDULE

NOTICE TO OFFENDERS

You have been placed on a lockdown status because of disruptive behavior or security reasons. This status has been imposed and will continue to be imposed until such a time as this disruptive behavior is eliminated or the security reasons no longer exist. To ensure that you understand the conditions and process of your return to normal activities, the progressive release schedule is explained below.

Week One: You will receive showers/necessities three (3) times weekly; and you will receive only sack lunches. Visitation privileges may be suspended. You will not be permitted dayroom privileges. If your behavior is acceptable, you will progress to Week Two.

Week Two: You will receive showers/necessities three (3) times weekly. You will receive commissary privileges one (1) day (hygiene items [one [1] of each] and legal/correspondence supplies [$10] will be allowed with one [1] spend for a total of $20 every two (2) weeks). You will receive a hot lunch one (1) time during the week if unit design allows, and sack lunches for all other meals. Visitation privileges may be suspended. You will not be permitted dayroom privileges. If your behavior is acceptable, you will progress to Week Three.

Week Three: You will receive showers/necessities three times weekly. You will receive commissary privileges one (1) day (hygiene items [one [1] of each] and legal/correspondence supplies [$10] will be allowed with one [1] spend for a total of $20 every two (2) weeks). You will receive a hot lunch and supper three (3) days if unit design allows, and sack lunches for all other meals. Visitation privileges will be reinstated if suspended. You will be permitted limited dayroom privileges as appropriate for your custody. If your behavior is acceptable, you will progress to Week Four.

Week Four: You will receive showers/necessities three (3) times weekly, commissary privileges one (1) day, daily hot lunch and supper privileges will be returned, and visitation privileges will continue. You will be permitted limited dayroom privileges as appropriate for your custody. You may be allowed to return to work at the Warden's discretion. Upon approval by the Warden, the lockdown will be lifted.

Note: Generally, all meals will be delivered via use of the food tray slot. If your cell does not have a food try slot, to receive a meal while on lockdown status, you must go the rear of your cell, face the wall, kneel down, and place both hands behind your back. When you have followed these procedures your meal will be placed inside the cell door.

If at any period during these four (4) weeks there is a recurrence of disruptive behavior, the unit or portion involved may be returned to Week One (1) of the lockdown schedule.

Source: AD-03.31 (rev.6), Page 11 of 13, Attachment A

KennyKamm
10-25-2008, 01:41 PM
Very Interesting.. Thanks alot.

his_lucky_charm
10-25-2008, 02:15 PM
Yes very intresting.

krystal5683
10-26-2008, 05:15 PM
thats sucks that if they don't have a tray slot they have to go the rear of cell, face the wall, kneel down, and place both hands behind there back. my man is not a dog... that makes my heart SAD! HE WAS so use to me serving him and make his dinners.
i'm going to write him and hope he has a slot!!! thanks

karen
10-27-2008, 01:10 PM
I can't help but wonder if this is what an inmate gets when he gets cell restriction due to a disciplinary action. I don't know if this is in reference to this latest lock down mandated by the governor. It is an interesting read though.

upwithhope
10-27-2008, 08:02 PM
This is exactly what is going on because of the Governor's mandate. I receive letters daily and speak with prison personnel. The inmates spend 24/7 on their beds (in this dormatory setting), except for going to the bathroom. Since there is no commissary, there is no opportunity to buy blankets. And they can't warm up by exercising or taking extra showers. So without blankets, the prisoners have a sheet to keep them warm. Which wouldn't be so bad, except that even with the recent cold weather, not only do they not have heat, but the fans have remained on.

smallngood
10-27-2008, 08:12 PM
Blankets were issue out to all inmates a good part of LAST MONTH.
The part about walking to the back of the cell and facing the wall- -is a seg inmate.
"Normal cells" do not have "food tray slots"- -only seg.
Just thought I would help ya all there.
Be safe.

pkngaby
10-27-2008, 08:27 PM
man i cant belive so much bullshit!!!this here just shows how when the strongest mess up they just try n turn it to the week and punish them for their mistakes tryn to hide how stupid they really look!!!it just really upsets me how they just have to take it regardless!!how worse can it get for those who are just tryin to do thier time n get this hell over with!!!!!!!

Texas CO
10-28-2008, 05:17 PM
man i cant belive so much bullshit!!!this here just shows how when the strongest mess up they just try n turn it to the week and punish them for their mistakes tryn to hide how stupid they really look!!!it just really upsets me how they just have to take it regardless!!how worse can it get for those who are just tryin to do thier time n get this hell over with!!!!!!!

I know that most who work in a prison do not know who will and who won't try to hurt them when they are only trying to feed them, let them out for recreation, for commissary etc......there are some really scary people in prison and NOT ALL are the CO's. For the safety of all there are procedures put into place to restrict movement and contraband when necessary. Most "convicts" know this and because they are "old school" they silently do what is necessary to get through it.

The CO's do not like this anymore than the offenders do and we have to go through all the Pat searching just to get to work, this is an inconvenience right now but a necessary one for the safety of ALL, Offenders, Visitors and Staff!:)

ccnrly
10-28-2008, 05:36 PM
This lockdown is probably harder on the guys that are in normal cellblocks, than it is on guys in seg. I know my son is in seg high security and he only leaves to go to recreation. I think thats only an hour a day. His shower is even in his cell. So this probably isn't as hard on him.

TXLAXDAD
10-28-2008, 05:40 PM
This is exactly what is going on because of the Governor's mandate. I receive letters daily and speak with prison personnel. The inmates spend 24/7 on their beds (in this dormatory setting), except for going to the bathroom. Since there is no commissary, there is no opportunity to buy blankets. And they can't warm up by exercising or taking extra showers. So without blankets, the prisoners have a sheet to keep them warm. Which wouldn't be so bad, except that even with the recent cold weather, not only do they not have heat, but the fans have remained on.

See right there, this is an incorrect assumption. Blankets are part of the necessaties GIVEN to the inmates. They cannot buy them in commissary. And in most of the units they aer issued in September BEFORE it starts to get cold. Some of the units located farther South get them at the beginning of October.

TXLAXDAD
10-28-2008, 05:41 PM
This lockdown is probably harder on the guys that are in normal cellblocks, than it is on guys in seg. I know my son is in seg high security and he only leaves to go to recreation. I think thats only an hour a day. His shower is even in his cell. So this probably isn't as hard on him.

Seg is much like being on lockdown all the time. Except for the food.

karen
10-28-2008, 07:50 PM
It has been my observation that this lock up has almost caused a mass hysteria. We have to be careful to maintain a clear vision of what is really going on and what are manipulated truths. I saw this "lockdown notice" on a website that promotes banning the death penality. By keeping in mind that it was a notice that came out of the Polunsky unit, we realize that the required behavior is for those who are on death row. Most of our loved ones are not in that situation and these guidelines do not apply.

It is reasonable to assume that the inmate is having to stay on his/her bunk or locked in his/her cell. They are allowed to go shower, and they are allowed to get off thier bunks to go to the restroom. They do have thier meals delivered to them and they are sack lunches called Johnnys. They are provided with a clean towel, boxers, socks daily. I'm not sure how often they are given clean clothes but I think it is every other day. They do get their mail daily. It is against TDCJ policy for them not to get their mail and be able to mail letters out. There is no rec and no tv. They read alot, sleep alot.

Now, I won't be offended if someone comes in a corrects me... the point I'm trying to make is that family members really don't need to freak out over this lockdown. Lockdowns and shakedowns are not uncommon in TDCJ. What is uncommon is that all the units are doing it at the same time. Units will go on lockdown if they can't get count to clear.

So folks, if you are having a tendency to get upset over this... settle down, your loved one is probably bored out of thier gourd, but otherwise they are okay.

Karen

TXLAXDAD
10-28-2008, 08:19 PM
They are also locked down for missing keys. They are apart of routine life in prison. I assure you your loved ones are taking this much better than all of you. Yes, the johnnies suck. We have to eat them as well. Hey at least they get us waiting on them and get to wash us push brooms and what not.

lormur
10-28-2008, 08:27 PM
Karen, You stated it well. Thank you.

Tammy99
10-28-2008, 08:48 PM
Blankets were issue out to all inmates a good part of LAST MONTH.
The part about walking to the back of the cell and facing the wall- -is a seg inmate.
"Normal cells" do not have "food tray slots"- -only seg.
Just thought I would help ya all there.
Be safe.

So do normal cells have a door or bars? My loved one is in Wynne... it is a really old facility.

Tammy99
10-28-2008, 08:59 PM
It seems like it is worse during lockdown to be in the dorm than in a cell. If you are in a cell, you get to move around. If you are in your dorm you just have to sit on your bed? UUUGGGGGGHHHHH? That seems excruciating. I can't imagine being confined to a 6x10 cell but a 6x5 bunk is much much worse, especially if an inmate has no cellie.

Can you guys all chime in here and give me your two cents? My dad just got reclassed to a G2 from a G3 and is eligible for a dorm. He has no cellie since he is lower bunk restricted and age 61 (he has to be housed with inmates between the ages of 51 and 71 and most of the guys in this category are also lower bunk restricted.) Is this a better living condition than the dorm or do you think the dorm is still head and shoulders better? After all, the are usually not on lockdown and especially for this long.

karen
10-28-2008, 09:08 PM
It seems like it is worse during lockdown to be in the dorm than in a cell. If you are in a cell, you get to move around. If you are in your dorm you just have to sit on your bed? UUUGGGGGGHHHHH? That seems excruciating. I can't imagine being confined to a 6x10 cell but a 6x5 bunk is much much worse, especially if an inmate has no cellie.

Can you guys all chime in here and give me your two cents? My dad just got reclassed to a G2 from a G3 and is eligible for a dorm. He has no cellie since he is lower bunk restricted and age 61 (he has to be housed with inmates between the ages of 51 and 71 and most of the guys in this category are also lower bunk restricted.) Is this a better living condition than the dorm or do you think the dorm is still head and shoulders better? After all, the are usually not on lockdown and especially for this long.

Hubby prefers a cell to the dorm. Cells offer more privacy, a way to get away from all the people. Plus cells have plugs so they can have a fan, coffee pots, radio, etc. where as dorms no plugs. And finally, with a cell you are sharing the potty with one guy/gal not 100.

Karen

TXLAXDAD
10-28-2008, 09:09 PM
I think dorms are better. When you need to use the restroom you have to walk to it. More stretching your legs. Plus when the CO is not doing their job you can stop and chat with a buddy a couple of bunks down. And oh, there are WAY MORE places to stash your contraband in a dorm than a little ol' cell, and if they happen to find it somewhere out in the dorm and not in a bunk no one gets a case for it.

TXLAXDAD
10-28-2008, 09:11 PM
Hubby prefers a cell to the dorm. Cells offer more privacy, a way to get away from all the people. Plus cells have plugs so they can have a fan, coffee pots, radio, etc. where as dorms no plugs. And finally, with a cell you are sharing the potty with one guy/gal not 100.

Karen

Our dorms all have outlets.

ReggiesLady
10-28-2008, 09:15 PM
Karen is right about this lockdown schedule. This does not apply to all on lockdown at the moment. Besides, this is NOT an normal lockdown. So please don't think the schedule posted is exactly what is going on. There are similarities but not all the same.

Reg refuses to ever live in a dorm. He says you have to watch your back too much so I'd say the cells are a better living arrangement. If for nothing else, than for the privacy. There are plugs in dorms but there are only a few.

TXLAXDAD
10-28-2008, 09:31 PM
Our dorms have a regular 2 plug outlet at every single bunk.

TXLAXDAD
10-28-2008, 09:33 PM
Don't forget if you do not get along with your cellie a cell can be very small indeed.

amyV08
10-28-2008, 09:42 PM
I completly understand the neccassity (spelling?) of all this. There are some mean people in TDCJ that can be harmfull to the CO's and other Inmates and the gaurds do not know when the inmates will strike at them, so it is for the saftey of EVERYONE, and i do not like to think of my loved one at the back of his cell and his hands behind his back, i do realise that with a violent inmate, not having them do so could end very badly. I am pretty sure they DO get blankets. There is no TV. But like Karen said they are just REALLY bored.

amyV08
10-28-2008, 09:44 PM
I kind of said the same thing as Texas CO on page 1 my badddd :-)

Tammy99
10-28-2008, 09:56 PM
I think dorms are better. When you need to use the restroom you have to walk to it. More stretching your legs. Plus when the CO is not doing their job you can stop and chat with a buddy a couple of bunks down. And oh, there are WAY MORE places to stash your contraband in a dorm than a little ol' cell, and if they happen to find it somewhere out in the dorm and not in a bunk no one gets a case for it.
Dad, you are crazy!! No one in TDCJ has any freaking contraband anymore anyway! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!:)

upwithhope
10-29-2008, 12:16 AM
Thanks to those who pointed out my misunderstanding about purchasing blankets. Today's letter said that they were issued blankets on 10/25. And from the tone in the letter, the inmates are taking this better than those on the outside. And who knows, maybe this is actually more of a time for personal growth for those on the outside. Here we think that the inmates are the ones who need to get over their control issues and develop patience, when actually it's us on the outside. And for those co's out there, I'm wondering, has the violence decreased during the lockdown? Have those of us who worry about the inmates' freedoms actually been blessed because they've perhaps been spared an injury? Just wondering.

Lil.instig8tor
10-29-2008, 03:08 AM
A friend and Texas Activist; contacted Senator Whitmire's office
regarding the Lockdown...he is Chair -Criminal Justice Committee as well the recepient of the phone call that started this Lockdown

This was their response:

"Thank you for your email and suggestions, we have been advised that
each unit will be taken out of lockdown as soon as the shakedown on
that unit is completed. Contraband on units has reached a point where
it endangers inmates and staff and will no longer be tolerated in any
level, thanks.

Larance E. Coleman
Policy Director
Senator John WHITMIRE, Chair
Senate Criminal Justice Committee
512/463-0345 phone
512/475-2015 fax "

Kind of reads like Charlie Brown's parents...BUT
I think that any response from political office is admirable
Thanks
Min

Texas CO
10-29-2008, 04:06 AM
Our dorms have a regular 2 plug outlet at every single bunk.

so do the dorms where I work...atleast one plug per bed and each bed area is partitioned up to the waist for more privacy.

Texas CO
10-29-2008, 04:08 AM
I kind of said the same thing as Texas CO on page 1 my badddd :-)

Thats ok I don't mind LOL:eek:

Texas CO
10-29-2008, 04:14 AM
They are also locked down for missing keys. They are apart of routine life in prison. I assure you your loved ones are taking this much better than all of you. Yes, the johnnies suck. We have to eat them as well. Hey at least they get us waiting on them and get to wash us push brooms and what not.

Me push a broom.....NOT.... lol atleast at our unit the inmates (SSI"s) are shookdown first.....this allows some to get out and do some work instead of being bored for hours on end in their cells....I do have to lug the crates of johnnies up three flights of stairs but I just tell myself that the great state of Texas is providing me with a free "stair master session" every day at work!! WOOT!:D:thumbsup:

pinkkrazr
10-29-2008, 04:38 AM
Yet, if CO's werent selling cell phones to inmates they wouldnt be going through this so how exactly is this some new safety concern?? CO's should be patted down atleast, not that it matters because if a CO wants to get something in he/she will! But it may cut it down and make a few think twice. I wonder what kind of rationalization the CO that gave the DR inmate a cell phone? Atleast with GP inmates you always have "someone" else to blame. So spare me the we are trying to protect ourselves when had CO's not acted illegally these inmates wouldnt have to be on a state wide lockdown. Dont get me wrong it takes two to tango and in order to sell something you must have a buyer. But the only thing safety has to do with it is the fact that EVERYONE is paying for the actions of a few (led by CO's) which I am sure irritates many of those "scary" people you speak of!

I know that most who work in a prison do not know who will and who won't try to hurt them when they are only trying to feed them, let them out for recreation, for commissary etc......there are some really scary people in prison and NOT ALL are the CO's. For the safety of all there are procedures put into place to restrict movement and contraband when necessary. Most "convicts" know this and because they are "old school" they silently do what is necessary to get through it.

The CO's do not like this anymore than the offenders do and we have to go through all the Pat searching just to get to work, this is an inconvenience right now but a necessary one for the safety of ALL, Offenders, Visitors and Staff!:)

Tammy99
10-29-2008, 06:56 AM
The fact that there are dirty COs (who compromise the safety of everyone) and the fact that there are violent offenders (who compromise the safety of everyone) are both indisputable facts. But they are also mutually exclusive facts. The procedures the COs use are indeed for everyone's safety, regardless of whether or not some COs are also mules. And this lockdown and shakedown are also for everyone's safety, although it does stem from an incident involving a CO who acted as a mule.

The procedures are reasonable and I support them. The shakedown is reasonable and I support that. I do not support the "statewide lockdown" that Gov Perry threw at everyone bkz of the calls Senator Whitmire received. I do not appreciate that these guys did not care about this until it reached a level of blatant, public ridiculousness. I don't appreciate the REACTIVE manner this has been handled. The fact that it is being done is good, but Gov Perry trying to get some press out of his "hard-nosed" approach to crime amongst criminals is absurd. He is a bad public servant.

x4livin
10-29-2008, 08:27 AM
With no ability to make commessary, though, some dont have stamps..I think that may be what is causing some upset..people aren't getting letters and they are thinking something is wrong. Bill warned me.."I have 3 stamps left..I'll write you and my mom" ( I felt special when I got 2 letters....:)...) but now he's out..and I know it and it's ok...I'll make sure he get's a letter every day :D
g

x4livin
10-29-2008, 08:29 AM
The fact that it is being done is good, but Gov Perry trying to get some press out of his "hard-nosed" approach to crime amongst criminals is absurd. He is a bad public servant.

And hence I won't be voting for the d*ckhead! :)

TXLAXDAD
10-29-2008, 08:32 AM
Thanks to those who pointed out my misunderstanding about purchasing blankets. Today's letter said that they were issued blankets on 10/25. And from the tone in the letter, the inmates are taking this better than those on the outside. And who knows, maybe this is actually more of a time for personal growth for those on the outside. Here we think that the inmates are the ones who need to get over their control issues and develop patience, when actually it's us on the outside. And for those co's out there, I'm wondering, has the violence decreased during the lockdown? Have those of us who worry about the inmates' freedoms actually been blessed because they've perhaps been spared an injury? Just wondering.

It is a whole lot harder to get into mischief while on lockdown. And yes, the inmates are taking this in much better strides than their loved ones. Many know that it has been coming for a long time.

TXLAXDAD
10-29-2008, 08:38 AM
Yet, if CO's werent selling cell phones to inmates they wouldnt be going through this so how exactly is this some new safety concern?? CO's should be patted down atleast, not that it matters because if a CO wants to get something in he/she will! But it may cut it down and make a few think twice. I wonder what kind of rationalization the CO that gave the DR inmate a cell phone? Atleast with GP inmates you always have "someone" else to blame. So spare me the we are trying to protect ourselves when had CO's not acted illegally these inmates wouldnt have to be on a state wide lockdown. Dont get me wrong it takes two to tango and in order to sell something you must have a buyer. But the only thing safety has to do with it is the fact that EVERYONE is paying for the actions of a few (led by CO's) which I am sure irritates many of those "scary" people you speak of!

You have obviously not read all the different threads on this subject. Yes, ALL employess ALL, and anyone else wanting to enter a facility is now sent through a metal detector and then pat down. This is not to just find cell phones. It is meant to detour any contraband. Cell phones are not the most danderous items brought in. CASH is the number one most dangerous form of contraband. With cash you can by ANYTHING. These levels of security measures are not meant to target any one group. They are meant to cover all, because it has to be done.

pinkkrazr
10-29-2008, 08:40 AM
Thank you for this reminder!! Many seem to forget that stamps are going to be very slim for awhile!!

With no ability to make commessary, though, some dont have stamps..I think that may be what is causing some upset..people aren't getting letters and they are thinking something is wrong. Bill warned me.."I have 3 stamps left..I'll write you and my mom" ( I felt special when I got 2 letters....:)...) but now he's out..and I know it and it's ok...I'll make sure he get's a letter every day :D
g

pinkkrazr
10-29-2008, 08:42 AM
You have obviously not read all the different threads on this subject. Yes, ALL employess ALL, and anyone else wanting to enter a facility is now sent through a metal detector and then pat down. This is not to just find cell phones. It is meant to detour any contraband. Cell phones are not the most danderous items brought in. CASH is the number one most dangerous form of contraband. With cash you can by ANYTHING. These levels of security measures are not meant to target any one group. They are meant to cover all, because it has to be done.

Ah yes, cash to supplement the CO's income!

TXLAXDAD
10-29-2008, 08:42 AM
The fact that there are dirty COs (who compromise the safety of everyone) and the fact that there are violent offenders (who compromise the safety of everyone) are both indisputable facts. But they are also mutually exclusive facts. The procedures the COs use are indeed for everyone's safety, regardless of whether or not some COs are also mules. And this lockdown and shakedown are also for everyone's safety, although it does stem from an incident involving a CO who acted as a mule.

The procedures are reasonable and I support them. The shakedown is reasonable and I support that. I do not support the "statewide lockdown" that Gov Perry threw at everyone bkz of the calls Senator Whitmire received. I do not appreciate that these guys did not care about this until it reached a level of blatant, public ridiculousness. I don't appreciate the REACTIVE manner this has been handled. The fact that it is being done is good, but Gov Perry trying to get some press out of his "hard-nosed" approach to crime amongst criminals is absurd. He is a bad public servant.

The reason there was a "statewide" lockdown is very easy to understand. If you only did a few at a time word would spread. As I have mentioned several tims on PTO, the inmates have a better network communications system than AT&T could ever design.

pinkkrazr
10-29-2008, 08:48 AM
lol..yet the need for cell phones still exists lol sorry TXLAXDAD...had to lighten it up just a little :)

nonetheless, it all started (this time) due to cell phones!

TXLAXDAD
10-29-2008, 08:58 AM

Here is an honest question for EVERYONE. Who out there right now would not like to make more money while at work? When we start to receive a salary we tend to all live to the edge if not a bit over our means. Then factor in the desire to want more. This is human nature. Not just because CO salaries are low. I make more than some of our mainainence workers, clerks, and other assorted staff members. Yet it is the human desire to always want more.

TXLAXDAD
10-29-2008, 09:01 AM
lol..yet the need for cell phones still exists lol sorry TXLAXDAD...had to lighten it up just a little :)

nonetheless, it all started (this time) due to cell phones!

No, chances are it started with something as simple as toilet paper or a pencil. The inmates have to start small when they establish the relationship with an employee, and work their way up to something like a cell phone. It would take some time for it all to come together. And time, well that is all the inmates have.

Tammy99
10-29-2008, 10:11 AM
The reason there was a "statewide" lockdown is very easy to understand. If you only did a few at a time word would spread. As I have mentioned several tims on PTO, the inmates have a better network communications system than AT&T could ever design.

Dad, you are right about this. I can't understand it but I totally trust that you are 100% right about the penal network. My frustration with the administration lies with the fact that this exact response wasn't forthcoming based on the evidence we get every month on confiscated contraband. I do not like that the only way we got this response was after one of the big-wigs (entrusted with making policy) was personally threatened. The information we have on contraband did not alarm anyone until then.

The response was not wrong, but the stimulus for this response existed before the calls to Senator Whitmire. The stimulus was ignored when the only threats were implied (the fact that contraband exists at all implies a threat) and only toward staff, COs and inmates.

An effective Government implements policy that positively impacts our penal system (and all its players) and not just the negative effects the penal system can have on our Government Officials (and their families).

TXLAXDAD
10-29-2008, 10:19 AM
Dad, you are right about this. I can't understand it but I totally trust that you are 100% right about the penal network. My frustration with the administration lies with the fact that this exact response wasn't forthcoming based on the evidence we get every month on confiscated contraband. I do not like that the only way we got this response was after one of the big-wigs (entrusted with making policy) was personally threatened. The information we have on contraband did not alarm anyone until then.

The response was not wrong, but the stimulus for this response existed before the calls to Senator Whitmire. The stimulus was ignored when the only threats were implied (the fact that contraband exists at all implies a threat) and only toward staff, COs and inmates.

An effective Government implements policy that positively impacts our penal system (and all its players) and not just the negative effects the penal system can have on our Government Officials (and their families).

I completely agree with all that you say. I guess every govermental agency has always adopted the 'what they don't know, won't hurt them" attitude. But I also think that anyone that believes that there is not a contraband problem in any penal system is living in a fantasy land. The reason you can never stop it completely is that "necessity is the mother of invention." No matter what security measures you put in place, someone will find a way to break it. In my line of work being reactive is not by choice. It is just the way it is.

Tammy99
10-29-2008, 10:27 AM
It is true that contraband will always exist. The most stringent procedures are always subject to the opportunites of collusion. Collusion exists when inmates are assisted, whether it is an underpaid/disgruntled CO, an underpaid/disgruntled staffer, a lonely/disgruntled visitor. Your earlier statements regarding the amount of time that inmates have to devote to working the system is also true and completely relevant to the reason contraband will always exist.

I really appreciate your insider's viewpoint. (And by that I include all you TDCJ employees.) I know this is a particularly trying time for all of you - as mentioned, in many ways even more than for the inmates. Hang tough and stay safe. This too shall pass...

Lonzo's Lady...
10-29-2008, 11:07 AM

TXLAXDAD...get out NOW! You do not have to eat Johnnie sacks! They are hiring at the hospital where I work and we have an excellent cafeteria among other things, plus there's this one RN who is hoping to snag herself a doctor ;) who keeps our ER break-room area full of homemade goodies.:thumbsup: This past weekend she made pasta and seafood salad, carrot and raison salad and 4 pecan pies! I love her.:dance: I knew about CO's being given pat downs but johnnie sacks???:angry: That's cruel and unusual punishment IMO. Marcia-aka-Lonzo's Lady

Bchace74
10-29-2008, 12:22 PM
Hey now if good for our love ones good for the co's muhahahahahaha

TXLAXDAD
10-29-2008, 12:43 PM
TXLAXDAD...get out NOW! You do not have to eat Johnnie sacks! They are hiring at the hospital where I work and we have an excellent cafeteria among other things, plus there's this one RN who is hoping to snag herself a doctor ;) who keeps our ER break-room area full of homemade goodies.:thumbsup: This past weekend she made pasta and seafood salad, carrot and raison salad and 4 pecan pies! I love her.:dance: I knew about CO's being given pat downs but johnnie sacks???:angry: That's cruel and unusual punishment IMO. Marcia-aka-Lonzo's Lady

I will have to pass on working in a hospital. One, I cannot stand needles. Here I am am a rough and tough State CO, and needles scare the *#@! out of me. Two, my "bedside manners" might get brought into question ;)

As for the johnnies for the COs, they are finally letting us bring in our own food, but everthing has to be out of its original package and in a ziplock bag. You are only allowed to bring in one gallon size ziplock. So everthing has to fit in it. EVEN WATER. So I just bring in a bag of water and at the johnnies. I would never male an inmate do anything I am not willing to do myself, but then again I am not like most other COs :thumbsup:

karen
10-29-2008, 01:07 PM
As for the johnnies for the COs, they are finally letting us bring in our own food, but everthing has to be out of its original package and in a ziplock bag. You are only allowed to bring in one gallon size ziplock. So everthing has to fit in it. EVEN WATER. :thumbsup:

Well, you know how it is... they are worried that some CO is going to bring in some funny shaped "lettuce" on his sandwich. :eek::D

Texas CO
10-29-2008, 02:08 PM

Not ALL CO's are on the "take" some of us do this job because we have been doing it for so long that it is the only thing we are comfortable doing.

Not ALL Offenders are "bad" some are innocent and some were young and made some decisions that were not all that great.

There are BAD CO's and there are BAD Offenders, because of these individuals we are ever changing our security measures to protect ALL!

When we find a BAD CO, they are "walked off"....as far as I am concerned they jeapardize the safety and security of the institution and all those that either have to be or choose to be behind razor wire!:thumbsup:

beebite
10-29-2008, 02:31 PM
Havins Unit is off lockdown My son is there i will hopefully go see him this wekend.

ReggiesLady
10-29-2008, 02:34 PM
Let's make sure and keep this one on track. The OP posted a lockdown schedule.

farminpeas
10-29-2008, 03:02 PM
My friend at Crain/Hackberry sent me a letter on Oct 24th, postmarked 27th and it arrived today. She writes and I QUOTE:

"Well, I don't know if it has been in the news but the whole Texas prison system is on lock down. That means we stay in our bunks 24 hours a day, eat sack lunches and only shower every other day. Hope it doesn't last long because it is extremely boring."

She goes on to talk about all the stuff we usually talk about...AA, recovery, life, new shoes..LOL! She's bored, but she's okay.

God Bless y'all.

Priscilla

Tammy99
10-29-2008, 05:03 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/img/10-08/1025contrabandlg.jpg

Check this out! COs: Can you please tell us why something like this is illegal?

TXLAXDAD
10-29-2008, 07:35 PM
I am not sure, but I would love to have a real game like that. That was someone with time on their hands.

TXLAXDAD
10-29-2008, 08:14 PM
Well, you know how it is... they are worried that some CO is going to bring in some funny shaped "lettuce" on his sandwich. :eek::D

Actually if we bring in a sandwich, we have to thumb through it to prove there is no contraband inside. :eek:

Texas CO
10-29-2008, 10:42 PM
Check this out! COs: Can you please tell us why something like this is illegal?

Actually it was explained to me that because of the 'money' and the dice needed to play most games would enable gambling and therefore debt, and in prison to owe someone is not a good thing!

TXLAXDAD
10-29-2008, 10:57 PM
Actually it was explained to me that because of the 'money' and the dice needed to play most games would enable gambling and therefore debt, and in prison to owe someone is not a good thing!

And here I thought it was just a drawing

Tammy99
10-29-2008, 11:03 PM
I guess in prison, nothing is what it seems! Really great game, though. This one is in the prison museum. The original got sent home to mama as a gesture of kindness by the warden. Payment for that gesture was that the inmate had to re-create one for the museum.

mart!nez113
10-30-2008, 07:09 AM
for those of you having a loved one in travis state jail....they are finally out of lockdown, AND visits WILL resume this weekend (1&2)!!! ENJOY...and GOD BLESS ALL!!! keep your head up....

KITHAKIT
10-30-2008, 08:26 AM
Gist unit is still on lockdown.:(

Melinda1
10-30-2008, 08:57 AM
GIST IS STILL ON LOCKDOWN AS OF 10/30/08
YOU CAN GO TO THE TDCJ WEBSITE OR PHONE DIRECT TO GIST AT 409-727-8400.
:angry:

Tiny'sGirl
10-30-2008, 09:27 AM
I just got a letter from my husband yesterday. He was saying that everything is okay it's just boring because they have nothing to do but to stay on their bunk and sleep, read, or write letters. But for the most part they are okay. And isn't that the most important thing everyone? It is prison not a VACATION. It's suppose to be tough on them. Although I love my husband with all my heart and more, I hope he learns from this. Of course I get angry and I feel terrible that he has to go through all of this but if you stop to think about it all...this really is necessary. A senator was threatened by an inmate on death row who had a cell phone! I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks that this situation is just unbelievable. Yes, some of the CO's amay be corrupt just like we have corrupt cops in the "free world". But this is more the reason to try to keep everyone safe. Look how many weapons were found during this lockdown. A weapon that could have been used to harm one of loved one's. I for one am grateful that there are at least that many less weapons that we have to worry about. It's that much less danger. I'm sure the CO's are probably just as frustrated with the situation as our loved ones. I know there are some of you that are gonna have a different opinion than me and that'a fine. I'm not gonna be offended if you disagree with me. But we are all on the same page when it comes to the safety of our loved ones. And we should be thankful that they are okay. They may be BORED and ANNOYED but they are OKAY.

Miss Judged
10-31-2008, 01:08 AM
You could always send them a new book and write extra letters to get them through this lockdown process!

rbandb
10-31-2008, 01:23 AM
They may be BORED and ANNOYED but they are OKAY.

I don't know. Mine likes to be out running about all day and night. He might be PHYSICALLY OKAY, but he's ANNOYING ME cuz his PMS (Prison Mood Swing) is setting in! Here comes the rough letters! C'mon visits!

Texas CO
10-31-2008, 06:39 PM
Dont get me wrong it takes two to tango and in order to sell something you must have a buyer. But the only thing safety has to do with it is the fact that EVERYONE is paying for the actions of a few (led by CO's)

I will not deny that there are bad CO's out there but as you stated, it does take two to tango and the offender that prays upon a CO's weakness is not doing his time...he is playing the system for all he can get. Some use others for personal gain, betting/gambling etc....and they dont care that these CO's are mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers etc....much of that I have seen posted on this site.

No matter what, if I come into contact with someones loved one while they are incarcerated be sure that I will give them as much respect as they inturn give me...I will ensure thier safety and the safety of the community but I WILL NOT give special favors or bring in anything for an offender unless required to by policy.

We are not all bad, we do not spend our days trying to figure out how to punish those incarcerated (that is thier punishment deemed by a judge and jury - not my job) and as for the scary people on the inside....well they don't care if you are an offender, a CO, civilian staff or a visitor....THEY DON"T CARE!

Jay's Joy
11-02-2008, 06:52 PM
I know what you mean... Jay is flipping moods so fast I have to keep putting the letter that I am reading down & I have to take a deep breath and calm myself down before I continue (in some of his letters he acts like I had something to do with the lock down/ then he comes back and say; he's in a bad mood) Duhhh
I really hate when they are on lock down, when they can't go out side OMG it's not good at all!!!! And not to mention those _ _ P.B. sandwitches (umm).
I don't know. Mine likes to be out running about all day and night. He might be PHYSICALLY OKAY, but he's ANNOYING ME cuz his PMS (Prison Mood Swing) is setting in! Here comes the rough letters! C'mon visits!

Joab
03-28-2009, 11:40 AM
I received a letter on the back of this...interesting reading -- it's the official rules of a lockdown.

TDCJ LOCKDOWN SCHEDULE

NOTICE TO OFFENDERS

You have been placed on a lockdown status because of disruptive behavior or security reasons. This status has been imposed and will continue to be imposed until such a time as this disruptive behavior is eliminated or the security reasons no longer exist. To ensure that you understand the conditions and process of your return to normal activities, the progressive release schedule is explained below.

Week One: You will receive showers/necessities three (3) times weekly; and you will receive only sack lunches. Visitation privileges may be suspended. You will not be permitted dayroom privileges. If your behavior is acceptable, you will progress to Week Two.

Week Two: You will receive showers/necessities three (3) times weekly. You will receive commissary privileges one (1) day (hygiene items [one [1] of each] and legal/correspondence supplies [$10] will be allowed with one [1] spend for a total of $20 every two (2) weeks). You will receive a hot lunch one (1) time during the week if unit design allows, and sack lunches for all other meals. Visitation privileges may be suspended. You will not be permitted dayroom privileges. If your behavior is acceptable, you will progress to Week Three.

Week Three: You will receive showers/necessities three times weekly. You will receive commissary privileges one (1) day (hygiene items [one [1] of each] and legal/correspondence supplies [$10] will be allowed with one [1] spend for a total of $20 every two (2) weeks). You will receive a hot lunch and supper three (3) days if unit design allows, and sack lunches for all other meals. Visitation privileges will be reinstated if suspended. You will be permitted limited dayroom privileges as appropriate for your custody. If your behavior is acceptable, you will progress to Week Four.

Week Four: You will receive showers/necessities three (3) times weekly, commissary privileges one (1) day, daily hot lunch and supper privileges will be returned, and visitation privileges will continue. You will be permitted limited dayroom privileges as appropriate for your custody. You may be allowed to return to work at the Warden's discretion. Upon approval by the Warden, the lockdown will be lifted.

Note: Generally, all meals will be delivered via use of the food tray slot. If your cell does not have a food try slot, to receive a meal while on lockdown status, you must go the rear of your cell, face the wall, kneel down, and place both hands behind your back. When you have followed these procedures your meal will be placed inside the cell door.

If at any period during these four (4) weeks there is a recurrence of disruptive behavior, the unit or portion involved may be returned to Week One (1) of the lockdown schedule.

Source: AD-03.31 (rev.6), Page 11 of 13, Attachment A

Hello Upwithhope,

I just read the schedule for LOCKDOWN. I can't conceive how the entire prison population will be punish for one person breaking the rules. What if the law jailed every Warden for the one Warden that let his/her inmates in the prison that he/she oversees be abused?

x4livin
03-31-2009, 09:09 AM
Bill argued with me over this and told me that "the stuff they put up there is false, it doesn't happen like that" He says the only reason they go back a week is if they are on lockdown for an incident, that regular lockdown doesn't go back a week. TDC inconsistancy.