View Full Version : Work Release

alonewouthim
10-23-2008, 09:31 PM
:angry:I have put a thread here before about work release I'm just hoping somebody out there knows more than we do.
My husband is legally eligible for work release but when we contacted DOC they said because he is a sex offender they don't find him suitable.
Could someone please tell me what the next step would be to get them to possible reconsider his case?

SpunkyMonkey
10-24-2008, 06:04 PM
Hey alonewithouthim! :)
Unfortunetly...under current LA legislation...he will never be considered for work release since he is a SO. :( My husband is one as well, and he suffers the same fate. I wish I had better news for you!!

LifeTraveler
10-24-2008, 10:45 PM
Unfortunately, Spunky Monkey is right. In Louisiana if you're an SO, you will NOT be considered for work release.

Is it fair? Hell to the no, but that's the way it is in Louisiana.

smith1963
01-21-2009, 05:51 PM
SpunkyMonkey,

Where can I find the law concerning when an inmate is able to qualify for work release? Is it two or three years or less to serve? Charge is 2 counts of vehicular homicide.

Hey alonewithouthim! :)
Unfortunetly...under current LA legislation...he will never be considered for work release since he is a SO. :( My husband is one as well, and he suffers the same fate. I wish I had better news for you!!

SpunkyMonkey
01-21-2009, 07:30 PM
Smith...I don't know exactly. I just know about the SO side of things as my husband is in for that. I tried to look it up on the net and couldn't find anything. My suggestion...call the warden's office at DCI and ask them what your son can do to qualify! SOrry I couldn't help more!! :(

Friendofflashd
01-22-2009, 02:15 PM
Try this website, law.justia.com; sometimes I look there for info. Hope it helps.

LifeTraveler
01-28-2009, 08:56 PM
I think they have to be six months out for work release. I'm not sure. I'd have to look it up again.

Checkster
02-02-2009, 11:36 AM
you must have 36 months or less for work release. my friend got in to caddo's work release and says he likes it so far

hisgurlalways29
03-18-2009, 09:14 PM
I wish I knew more about the work release program, but when I search the matter I don't get much info. My fiance' is in the program, but I'm not exactly sure what criteria he had to meet. Does your husband have a lawyer? Where is he now?

:angry:I have put a thread here before about work release I'm just hoping somebody out there knows more than we do.
My husband is legally eligible for work release but when we contacted DOC they said because he is a sex offender they don't find him suitable.
Could someone please tell me what the next step would be to get them to possible reconsider his case?

Bizzycat
03-18-2009, 11:03 PM
This is what I found. Hope it helps.
RS 15:1135
D.(1) Any inmate who has been convicted of first degree murder (R.S. 14:30), second degree murder (R.S. 14:30.1), aggravated rape (R.S. 14:42), attempted aggravated rape (R.S. 14:27 and 42), forcible rape (R.S. 14:42.1), aggravated kidnapping (R.S. 14:44), aggravated arson (R.S. 14:51), armed robbery (R.S. 14:64), attempted murder (R.S. 14:27 and 29), attempted armed robbery (R.S. 14:27 and 64), producing, manufacturing, distributing, or dispensing or possession with intent to produce, manufacture, distribute, or dispense a controlled dangerous substance classified in Schedule I or Schedule II of R.S. 40:964 and persons sentenced as habitual offenders under R.S. 15:529.1 shall be prohibited from participation in the work release program except during the last six months of their terms.
(2) Notwithstanding Paragraph (1) of this Subsection, no inmate convicted of distribution or possession with intent to distribute cocaine where the offense of conviction involves less than twenty-eight grams of cocaine or distribution or possession with intent to distribute marijuana where the offense of conviction involves less than one pound of marijuana shall be prohibited from participation in the work release program.
E. No inmate employed in the work release program shall be employed in a position which would necessitate his departure from the state.
Added by Acts 1970, No. 441, 1. Amended by Acts 1978, No. 510, 1; Acts 1985, No. 786, 1; Acts 2006, No. 173, 1.

VanishNAct
03-19-2009, 03:54 PM
hisgurlalways29:
alonewouthim's husband is in the Vermilion Parish Jail, he has 13 months left. At this time he doesn't dont have an attorney. Could you ask your fiance' about the criteria he had to meet.

hisgurlalways29
03-19-2009, 08:31 PM
I spoke with him today and this is what he said. Basically, what bizzycat has posted is true. My fiance' is serving a 2 1/2 year sentence and was eligible right away. He went in with a lawyer though, so that has helped a lot. If you don't have a lawyer, the majority of the decision making is up to the Warden at the facility where he is being held. He would have to keep his nose clean, not get into any trouble, follow rules...etc. He can submit a request to be entered into the work release program, but without someone (attorney) working for him on the outside, the warden can choose not to approve it. If he's moved to work release, the facility he is being held in now is not getting money for him anymore. It's really all about the money with these people. I do hope that he can get into the program. I don't have any clue on the Sex Offender rules though.

hisgurlalways29:
alonewouthim's husband is in the Vermilion Parish Jail, he has 13 months left. At this time he doesn't dont have an attorney. Could you ask your fiance' about the criteria he had to meet.