View Full Version : What would you do if your boss wouldn't let you take the day of homecoming off?

ess
10-19-2008, 12:50 PM
.. you're boss wouldn't let you take the day off for homecoming? :eek: Just a hypothetical.

Patty
10-19-2008, 01:09 PM
Fire me I don't care. LoL never had this problem but I would make sure I got the day off, where there's a will there's a way...

:witch:

Willsgirl
10-19-2008, 01:11 PM
I would call in sick, and if I had to go to the doctor and get a note so I can take even more days off.

blondebabe
10-19-2008, 01:24 PM
I would call in sick,wouldn't miss it for anything.

SecondDayLeo
10-19-2008, 02:12 PM
I'm on call now; he could be out Monday or Tuesday. I'm telling my job that I have an emergency and I have to leave which is absolutely true. I have waited almost three years for this; I have a lot of sick time (over 500 hours) and a lot of vacation (over 80 hours). If they don't let me use that then oh well, I will take off without pay if I have too...he is definitely worth it.

Take care,
HMMB

2nice
10-19-2008, 03:40 PM
I have every intention to take to time off as annual leave! Or otherwise Im going off sick!!! I'd have to make it a long sick leave, since I have to leave the country!! ;)

Missing Someone
10-19-2008, 04:21 PM
I specifically booked my vacation time for the first week that he is home. If I couldn't have done it, I would have called in sick. When he comes home, I won't have seen him for 5 months so there would be nothing that kept me away from that.

ImANurse
10-19-2008, 04:22 PM
I wouldn't even bother arguing with tha boss, I just wouldn't show up, lol. Thank the Lord for leading me to Nursing...there's always work to be done

xxsweetheartxx
10-19-2008, 04:28 PM
I would take it off anywho...i dont care this is my man coming home...and they know how important it is...plus i dont think i would have a problem with that...my boss is pretty chills

chri1210
10-19-2008, 05:29 PM
I scheduled the time off 4 months ago. If I didn't get approved I would have called in sick.

msonlydabest
10-19-2008, 06:52 PM
I would call in sick...Cough Cough.....

a_coleman
10-19-2008, 07:05 PM
I already told my boss that I was taking off for a week but it would be very short notice because in Texas they only give you a couple of weeks notice of their release date (sometimes way less time) but if she said no, then I would call in sick. I wouldnt miss that for the world!

Waitin4BlueEyes
10-19-2008, 07:17 PM
We get to schedule our time off for the whole next year in December of the year before, so in December I will be asking for the week off in April! However, I would just call in sick if I had to.

Saiyidah
10-19-2008, 10:48 PM
If it was the same job I have now. I would not play around, I would go out on sick leave at least one week ahead of time and one or two weeks after.

JADIN08
10-20-2008, 04:22 AM
The last time he came home I asked for a week of persona leave of absense. They were great about finding some one else to cover me. But this time when he comes home I don't care what they do or say Im out! I will be there for the moment that we've waited so long for...to hold eachother and to finally kiss without a care in the world or being told thats enough(never enough love between me and mine).

Kyle's Gurl
10-20-2008, 07:30 AM
I'll know in advance... so I'll be scheduling that day off.

hottiebun
10-20-2008, 03:03 PM
I'm calling out sick...

G.Leyva
10-20-2008, 04:21 PM
I got that week off using my vacation but if i hadn't been able to then I would have called in sick to :)

Monikher
10-20-2008, 09:22 PM
I'm there. Period. End of Discussion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XhJRiEXS2k

D.FLORES
10-21-2008, 12:00 PM
I would tell my boss with notice..i dont think itll be a problem...and if it is i really dont care...fire me if u want.... I wouldnt miss it for anything in the world!!

jeswannabhiswyf
10-21-2008, 01:04 PM
Homecoming is usually set so far ahead that with enough notice I should be able to get off. At many of my jobs I knew the company had blackout days. Days that could not be taken off. I'm usually such a good employee that I can get the 1 day I ask for off. If I couldn't, I'd have to talk to L and see how important it is that I pick him up. I can send Ma, Mommie, one of our fathers, or our brothers to pick him up and see him when I get home. My employment history follows me and I take pride in what I have built. Besides, two unemployed jokers will never survive together:D.

mslou93
10-22-2008, 11:26 AM
I've waited 9 long yrs for this I've scheduled 2 wks vacation starting on his erd for our reunification!!!!

Luv0fHisLife
10-22-2008, 11:31 AM
I would call in sick.... He's home now... He can work... L0L

VanessaFigueroa
10-22-2008, 11:37 AM
I am going to take a week vacation when he comes home and some sick time if needed... jejejeje

Hppy@lst
10-23-2008, 08:35 AM
A trip to my personal doctor for a sick note would be the thing I would do first...I can't afford losing my job (he won't have one as soon as he's released).

To solve this, after you find out his parole date, I would request the time I needed...

If this doesn't work out seek a doctor for a sick note.

CREEPER'zWiFEY
10-23-2008, 08:58 AM
I'd take the day off anyways lol :) i don't care. but thankfully my boss is coo and understands that wifey has had to do 6 months w/o her hubby. he's seen how depressed ive been and how much weight i've lost. he knows i need my other half :) so he gave me a week!!! yay ..

i've got 9 days to spend with my lover yay!!!!!!

mrs.battsiii
10-23-2008, 10:57 AM
oh hells to the no!!!!!!

if they say no... and you can't get it in advance... then...

if you have sick days--- one of them would definitely go into effect.

just leading up to homecoming stay cool, lay low. come in every day on time, do your job, be on point, leave 5 minutes late, never early.

keep homecoming on the hush. i mean time to stop talking about it. you know it's happening, just leave it alone. if boss forgets, they may not put 2 and 2 together.

but if you have sick time, vacation, or any kind of leave, donated leave, anything... then it's time to call in the night before with symptoms, then make sure you call in an hour before, too. and you HAVE to do it, but also call and directly talk to boss when boss comes in. cover all bases.

skip embarrassment- you have a 24 hour stomach bug 'or something' and have been in the bathroom all night, taking imodium AD with cramping, drinking fluids... i have used that one at both my past jobs, and they can't say anything.

that's what sick leave is for. and if it's less than 3 days- no doctor's note.

:thumbsup:

tweedybird
10-25-2008, 11:01 PM
There is no negotiation here. I need a minimum of two days off, just to drive to get him and return home.

Random_1
11-05-2008, 12:38 PM
I already requested the time off and it should be approved this far in advance. I requested the release day and the two days after. I would take more but I'll be the only one working for a while and haven't worked for the company long enough to have paid time off accrued yet.

Marseille
11-09-2008, 08:18 PM
If it honestly came down to losing my job, I would have to go to work. He would understand that also and we need to be responsible.

Luckily, it's not an issue... I scheduled the time off in advance and if vacation hadn't been available, I just would have called out. I keep my attendance record clean just for this reason... if something comes up I want to be able to miss a day or two of work without losing my job.

starr_poet
11-09-2008, 08:31 PM
First, my job wont be there for the rest of my life, and i wont be having children with my boss. Second, If some guard tells me "thats enough" when they can go home and kiss whomever they want, and the love of my life I can kiss less than 3 minutes or something once a month.. oh man. theyd better not.

smoser
11-09-2008, 08:39 PM
I love my baby and I know he would not want me too risk loosing my job...his fam would keep him company till I got off work. Thank goodness my job is not like that though...I have PTO time and sick days that I can take as long as I let my boss know before the day of...so that she can have coverage....but YES I am taking at least 3 days off maybe a week when he comes home so I can spend some quality time with him and help get him situated. Oh I can't wait for that day!!!!!!!! I miss and love my honey soooooo much!!

kindra_antoin
11-13-2008, 07:10 AM
I would call in! But I planned in advance I have enough PTO and vacation to take 1-2 weeks off.. I wouldnt miss this day for the world...no matter what it meant...when I found this job I was looking... so I can find another if it came down to it :-) But I know it won't be an issue!

ByTitoside
11-17-2008, 12:38 PM
What would you ladies do if you were scheduled for jury duty! ugghh!!

kae
12-04-2008, 12:54 AM
since i don't work a regular 9-5 and my industry is competitive as hayle, i'd go to work. honey completely and utterly understands the position i'm in. one of his brothers can pick him up and bring him home. i'd take care of everything that evening. ;) what's a few hours when we got a lifetime to be together.....

Brent's Babe
12-04-2008, 12:56 AM
After 6yrs gone you can bet your a$$ that I'm gona be there to pick him up!!!

Taty765
12-04-2008, 03:49 AM
I would not even tell anyone at my Job that he was coming home...i'd call in sick...sorry...but in a case like that..i would have to fake being sick..cough..cough..sneeze!!! ;)

LadyBaby
12-04-2008, 11:45 AM
I'd call in SLICK:idea::D....

K~Z's Babygirl
12-04-2008, 11:45 AM
I'm a nurse too! lol theres always a job out there for us...i work for registry so i can just cancel the shift ahead of time since i have an almost permanent assignment.....if not then hey, ive got the flu!!!!!!lol

sari868
12-07-2008, 11:26 AM
since i always show up for work when i'm supposed to my boss doesn't get as pissed as she normally would when i take time off. i think she would let me. if you call in all the time THAT'S when she'll get mad and won't let you ask for time off. but i'm going to be student teaching when he is supposed to come home, i'm just going to pick him up after i'm done teaching for the day. so i won't be able to get him until 5 or 6 that night. i'm sure he won't care. he'll still be FREE!!!!

sari868
12-07-2008, 11:26 AM
oh wow i'm the one person who voted the first option lol. but yeah. i could wait until 3 pm to get him.

HebrewLove
12-28-2008, 08:31 PM
I would call in sick, and if I had to go to the doctor and get a note so I can take even more days off.

I would go intot he doctor's office coughin up somethin terrible describing all kind of symptoms til they gave me a note saying I could be out for 2 weeks!

JonJon Wife
01-02-2009, 09:57 AM
i have 7 months left but im thinking bout puting in my time now so there isnt a problem me taking off im thininking 3-4days.. I think i might have to use my vacation time! Beacuse ima need it!lol

boandmelissa
01-07-2009, 06:56 AM
Bo is already home but I answered this poll anyways. I went round and round with my boss. she didn't understand the importance of me being there to pick him up. After 4 years and 2 months of waiting, nothing was going to keep me from being there to pick his sexy butt up. I told her that I would not be in that day - period. She finally gave in.

pat1entlywa1t1n
01-10-2009, 07:12 PM
i'd call out but i dont know about you i'm not only taking off homecoming day i'm taking off the 3 days following that. i have 6 years to make up for and if my boss said no i'd do whatever necessary to make sure i didnt have to work... pls i'd quit my job if it came to it.

Daywalker
01-12-2009, 05:31 AM
My boss already knows to expect it. He knows I don't have a firm date yet, but he knows I will be taking vacation time to go get my beloved. And he knows I could decide to be gone anywhere from 3-4 days to a week or so.

I am lucky in that my boss has been there for us from the beginning, letting me flex my schedule so I could take him to Texas from Oklahoma for probation meetings, court dates, etc.

And, as much as I like my job, and as convenient as it is, sorry, if they wouldn't willingly let me take off, I'd call in sick, or I'd quit. This job is not a career to me - already had one of those and I was looking for a job when I found this one.

PrettyLady8
01-16-2009, 03:49 PM
I am facing that right now and I can't decide whether to just do to my doctor and get a week excuse( She Knows) or ask for it off from work, My job is really hard on you for missing work???? Confused??? Either way I haven't waited 3 yrs for missing this moment, I'll be there job or no job...

Random_1
01-17-2009, 07:51 PM
I did manage to get the day off and was texted this morning by a co-worker asking if I could come in and work his shift for him that day. LOL! Of course I turned him down.

Hannya
01-17-2009, 07:54 PM
I have no leave time on the books....sick over the holidays...but I told them I would not be coming in to work the week he was released. If they didn't approve my request, I'd just call in 'sick'. But the person I talked to was really understanding and approved it. And, she understood that the dates could still change. I think I lucked out. *whew*

darnellkim
01-18-2009, 04:09 PM
IAM TAKING OFF FOR ABOUT 1 MONTH! I HAVE WAITED 5 YEARS FOR HIM TO BE HOME! :thumbsup:

Miss Superwoman
01-18-2009, 07:43 PM
It would depend on our financial situation but if I had no other option I would have to arrange for someone to pick him and I would have to see when I got off. I would be so disappointed and upset but he would understand.

dawn34
01-19-2009, 12:22 PM
I for one would not tell my boss about when he gets out so I could call in sick. I don't have a job but I go to school and I'm taking a week off.

loca511
01-20-2009, 03:31 PM
please took the week off LOL !!!! Jan 29 th I cant wait

Daveswife
03-09-2009, 11:00 PM
My boss did deny me, so I went to my doctor and had him write me a note to be off for the whole week. LOL

edsbaby
03-12-2009, 12:26 PM
Happily I don't have to worry about this. But...If i still had my job, I would be reporting out for that day and possibly a few more!!

cinderella2004
03-18-2009, 07:59 AM
.. you're boss wouldn't let you take the day off for homecoming? :eek: Just a hypothetical.

Ahhh, but he might for a dr. appt :rolleyes: ... and if not the full day maybe part, enough to go get him or leave 1/2 day or couple hours early, whatever I could get.

For personal things that were none of boss's business I use the ole dr. appt. excuse. But if you needed a dr. note you'd be in trouble. :idea:

Bearoops
03-19-2009, 05:29 PM
I told my boss I have plans to go out of town for a few days! When My boys come home. I need to be there for them. I gave my boss no more information even If I don't get payed I am doing it. If you have a great doctor talk to him or her and have plans set for a note and more days if you need them My DOC would do it for me.
Good luck.

jp2112
03-24-2009, 08:33 PM
I already took the week off, so it's all worked out...We should all be thankful that we have jobs where we can call in sick or take the week or a few days off....We're all Blessed...others aren't so fortunate....:D

His O.C. girl
03-24-2009, 08:43 PM
Yeah, fire me!!! Homecoming is in 90 days and nothing is going to stop me from being at those gates!!!:p I just started a new job but I told them before they hired me I needed 2 weeks off the end of June and I got it in writing!!

20month bid
03-29-2009, 07:20 PM
oh i would call out sooo fast!!
i plan on takin two weeks off and im not missing that for anything!

mjeanine
04-06-2009, 07:29 AM
so glad i have been a stay at home mom. I run a daycare out of my home, and just about everyone knows what I am waiting for, and if they don't they will know then. I live with my sister so she can take over the business for a few days....6 years is a long time....

Ninos_Wife23
04-12-2009, 04:35 PM
I chose As much as I would want to be there, I couldn't afford risk losing my job ...Because in this economy u cant take risk like that, and im sure our loved ones would understand... But a chick like me done asked for those days off already so there wont be a hassle...LOL

dmizell1221
04-22-2009, 10:29 AM
Luckily, that should not be an issue. But if I thought it was going to be, I would be sick a day or two before and have a doctors note for the entire week. lol

C_hopson<3
04-22-2009, 06:43 PM
my baby would understand if i could not get off plus he is 7 hours away by the time he got home i would be done working. =]]

mrwalker
08-13-2009, 04:00 PM
Would not have missed it for the world!!! Luckily I have a boss that wouldn't have let me miss it for the world!!! However, I made certain I had more that enough time in my time off bank to take the day. I work for an incredible company, but if I didn't, I would have called in.

cinderella2004
08-13-2009, 04:23 PM

If I could I'd try to leave early. Maybe I'd see if I could shift my hours. Or if possible see if I could get someone to cover for me. I'd try to have everything set up so my boss would have to do as little as possible. That way he'd have a hard time saying no - maybe. I'd start doing this early so in case nothing worked out I could call out sick and the date would be forgotten !!! :thumbsup:

LittleWing13
08-18-2009, 04:32 PM
Oh I WILL be there...please believe.

Missinghim101
08-20-2009, 10:48 AM
i am taking a half day off work... I will be almost due then and i cant drive to go get him, to long in the car.. so he will be waiting at home when i get home :) Thats how i want it anyways...

mywife19
08-20-2009, 05:48 PM
Oh I WILL be there...please believe.

Same here...I've been working like a donkey this whole time and I told them, once my husband comes home, I'm taking at least 2 weeks off. Don't call me, don't look for me. Just be ready for it. They don't know where he is, but they know we've been away from each other for so long and all I want is the chance to spend time with him.

But yup, taking that day no matter what.

Imisshimsomuch
08-20-2009, 08:05 PM
First, I'd lie and say that my brother is coming home from the war (crappy thing to do, but people have more respect for soldiers than they do inmates), and I need a FEW days off to be with him before he gets deployed again. That would increase the sense of urgency.

If that didn't work, to hell with them all, I'm taking off the days I asked for.

Mr & Mrs Walker
08-21-2009, 04:22 AM
sick sick sick lol

Jesse'sbabygirl
08-22-2009, 02:30 PM
Oh I am going to be there no matter what i have to do 6 years to be away from each other is a long time....

West1259
08-25-2009, 08:42 PM
I think i feel a flu coming on... LOL ive already taken off the first 2 weeks hes out off.

miracle11
08-27-2009, 09:46 PM
My BF comes home November 2010. I have already put the leave in on the work calendar! That way there's no questions to be asked!

Mrs_Krobetzky
08-27-2009, 09:53 PM
OH NO lol, aint no way! I already told him I will be at the Gate wiatin for it to open!

Sininen
09-02-2009, 10:03 AM
Boss would have to stuff it........ :cool:

Mitchell79
09-15-2009, 11:29 PM
Sick Day :D

motherofthree
10-18-2009, 01:58 PM
I wouldn't even bother arguing with tha boss, I just wouldn't show up, lol. Thank the Lord for leading me to Nursing...there's always work to be done
I agree - Us nurses can at least find a job anywhere!:)If I can't get off I will call in sick. If I have to get in to the doctor for an excuse, I will. I have been waiting to bring my hubby home for too long.

anthonyaltrena
08-10-2012, 10:21 PM
Luckily mines get out on the weekend! But my boss is the best IM his assistant and he have me two weeks off starting that Monday that he gets out! Gotta adore my boss! He will get a gift on bosses day!

forsakenLove
08-11-2012, 12:28 AM
I would probably call in sick or find someone to pick up my shift...I'm taking a week off in March so we can get things taken care of..he has been gone 4yrs, we both will need me Home...

DougsCandy
08-12-2012, 10:20 PM
Unfortunately that is the case for me and calling off is not an option. I really hate that I don't get to pick him up. His brother will be picking him up and he will be home waiting for me when I get off

DougsCandy Sent from my LG-P509 using PrisonTalk

JustUs12
08-17-2012, 04:22 PM
I would call in sick or quit lol j/k thankfully my babe's release is on a sunday and I'm off weekends :D

NicolelovesDee
08-17-2012, 08:38 PM
Im takin a week off :) Done talked to my supervisor and he understands <3 Partially bc were gettin married the same week lol

lethad
08-18-2012, 12:14 AM
Omg i scheduled my vacation for that same week he comes home and hopefully find some co-workers to swap shifts with me so i can have 2 uninterrupted weeks off with my husband & children!

KidosWifey
09-09-2012, 09:49 AM
Once Oct 5 was the confirmed day I requested the day off, then that Mon is Columbus day so we get a 4 day weekend. I don't get paid time off so I wish I could have taken 2 weeks off! I work from home anyway so either way I would have been in the house, not sure how much work will be getting done while he's around me though!! Lol, I told him TRY to be a good boy when I really want him to be very naughty!

HardHeadedWoman
09-09-2012, 01:13 PM
I have a decent job and as hard as decent paying jobs are to find now days if I was told I couldnt have that day off then im sucking it up and going to work that day. As much as i love to be there on pick up day I love having a roof over my head, and food on my table. Him being a felon will be hard enough for him to find a job and someone has to be responsible enough to ensure that roof will continue to be over both of our heads.
I have heard of someone asking for a day off (dont know the reason) but they were denied. They called in the next day and when they came back to work they had no job. It does happen. I have worked too hard to get where I am in life and although I have worked fast food and convienience store work its not something im willing to go back to.

lisamarie_258
09-19-2012, 06:24 PM
I would be there, regardless. What ever it takes. He'll need me.

delharo4life
10-01-2012, 09:38 AM
No doubt i would b there... i would call out sick, dead, quit...lol... whatever.... nothing would stop me from being there...

mrs.delharo4 life

KCdenver
10-05-2012, 02:06 PM
If I was denied the time off, then I would just have to go to work. WE need my job and we have the rest of our lives to spend together.

Cesarlove
10-07-2012, 06:32 AM
I rearely miss work to accumilate time for when he is out, so II would definately call out sick!

O's Sweetheart
02-07-2013, 05:06 AM
Thankfully this is never an issue for me. I looove my job! But, if it were to happen, hypothetically speaking, I wouldn't lose my job over it. I make decent money, it's very laid back, I don't have anyone on me telling me what to do and I get absolutely no type of assistance from government or anyone. I rely only on my income to pay all of my many, many bills. So yea, I need my job lol. Plus, hubby would be the first to tell me not to lose my job over it. He'd come have lunch with me and hang out in my office with me til the day is over.... :)

cagedheart
02-07-2013, 06:03 PM
I'd leave the job. Thankfully, there is always another job right around the corner in nursing. It's a blessing to not have to worry about that.

notyourordinary
02-08-2013, 03:09 PM
I'd cry in the toilets at work and then get someone to switch shifts with me. The fellas are always the easiest to switch with because they always want someone in their debt in case there is a big sporting event on lol.
I wouldn't bother loosing my job over it, if worst came to worst I'd just pull a sickie.

hismess
03-09-2013, 04:13 PM
Thankfully my job is very supportive and understanding when it comes to this. I already got the whole week off from work. But if they didn't allow it, I would call in sick for 2-3 days. They already know that too. But I can find another job without a problem. That's one of the best things about the medical field.

TjsLilWifey
01-07-2014, 05:29 PM
Fire me... HELL ..I'd fire myself if I had to. I won't miss his homecoming in November for anything.

JCMiller
01-19-2014, 08:00 AM
I requested the days months ago and they were approved :) . So The day of his release I work but I get off early ..&the next day I took off :)

saskatchewanian
01-19-2014, 06:59 PM
I'm taking a month off when mine comes home...so we can spend a lot of time together. Since we're MWI, I think we'll need the time.

If my boss doesn't agree to the time off (I get enough vacation time to cover it) I'll quit my job and get a new one when I return. The job market is pretty hot here so it's not as much of an issue as it would be elsewhere. Although I do think my boss will agree to it.

Summerlove92
01-19-2014, 07:28 PM
Then i'd work. I have kids to support and bills to pay. Reality before any desire i have. But where i work,if you have the PTO time,they rarely deny your request. That schedule is already out and i was granted the PTO days i requested,Thank you Jesus!

LoveisForever
04-11-2014, 08:26 PM
I want to be there when he gets out. I don't think I would quit my job considering I would of just got one. I just recently quit my job because they wouldn't let me off to go see a eye doctor specialist. I'm struggling trying to get another one because I'm the only one that pays the bills. they not going to pay themselves. Yes there's unemployment but I don't have time to wait on it. I got to keep the money rolling in. Now I would request that time off as soon as I find out. I don't see why I wouldn't get approved.

Siesie617
04-12-2014, 05:37 AM
I would have asked for the week off in advance. If I couldn't get to him which would truly break my heart. I would make sure his passage to me was easy because he is in the middle of nowhere.