View Full Version : Can you put tape on the envelopes??

mikeysgrl
10-14-2008, 08:20 PM
ok i took my letter to the post office today and it was 12 pages deep and it had 3 pictures in it. i asled the lady if she thought it might open and she said it might and before i knew it she had put a strip of scotch tape along the seal. i told her i wasnt sure if it would be allowed so she tried to take it off but she couldnt and now im stressin that he wont get my letter i put so much heart and soul into not to mention the picture. thats all we've got these days you know. i once sent in pens with rubber grips on them and the nice thing was they just took them out and sent them back to me instead of sendin the whole thing back. but im worried. i know i hvae heard of them sending them back for that crap before but has anyone heard of this happening at DVI specifically since they are all a little bit different. anyone know anything!:confused:

PTO-79211
10-14-2008, 10:45 PM
I think it will be should be fine. I have sent envelopes to my husband with tape on it...even the post office has had to put tape on the envelopes at times. To be safe...I would call the mailroom at the prison and ask. They will for sure tell you :thumbsup:

ok i took my letter to the post office today and it was 12 pages deep and it had 3 pictures in it. i asled the lady if she thought it might open and she said it might and before i knew it she had put a strip of scotch tape along the seal. i told her i wasnt sure if it would be allowed so she tried to take it off but she couldnt and now im stressin that he wont get my letter i put so much heart and soul into not to mention the picture. thats all we've got these days you know. i once sent in pens with rubber grips on them and the nice thing was they just took them out and sent them back to me instead of sendin the whole thing back. but im worried. i know i hvae heard of them sending them back for that crap before but has anyone heard of this happening at DVI specifically since they are all a little bit different. anyone know anything!:confused:

edsbaby
10-15-2008, 09:14 AM
I would guess that putting tape to keep the envelope closed should be OK. The stuff that gets rejected are the letters with stickers and white out on them. Hopefully it will be ok. When I feel that an envelope might not stay closed I use a glue stick to keep it shut, that way I know there will not be any issue with it. Just a thought I thought I'd share.

Briansgirl25yrs
10-15-2008, 09:23 AM
I dont know about where y'all are but in Alabama I put stickers all over my envelopes and I sometimes put tape on the stickers to hold them better. especially on holidays..I called the prison and asked if they minded and the mail lady told me she enjoyed reading all the different ones I put on them..so call and ask them..

jeswannabhiswyf
10-15-2008, 11:00 AM
Tape- cool. Staple- not cool. They can't do anything with the tape. Plus it's scotch so you're good.

mikeysgrl
10-15-2008, 02:54 PM
thanks for the replies! now im not having a nervous break down anymore. sounds silly that i would let it bother me but im weird! thanks for easing my mind! sometimes i dont know what i would do without pto. yeah i do..freak out!:D

PTO-79211
10-15-2008, 03:39 PM
We have all been there sweetie...so no worries....we are all here for one another :thumbsup:

thanks for the replies! now im not having a nervous break down anymore. sounds silly that i would let it bother me but im weird! thanks for easing my mind! sometimes i dont know what i would do without pto. yeah i do..freak out!:D

edsbaby
10-16-2008, 12:07 AM
California Prisons do not allow any stickers on envelopes or letters. They will be returned.

I dont know about where y'all are but in Alabama I put stickers all over my envelopes and I sometimes put tape on the stickers to hold them better. especially on holidays..I called the prison and asked if they minded and the mail lady told me she enjoyed reading all the different ones I put on them..so call and ask them..

edsbaby
10-16-2008, 12:14 AM
Although it may sound silly....I think we have all stressed over the same type or thing. PTO is a very helpful place!! :thumbsup:

Junior'sQueen
10-16-2008, 12:57 AM
MIKEYSGRL: Yeah, the tape will be fine! I actually use staples too, but put tape over the staple so now "owies" happen. ;) I don't know about DVI, but at Corcoran 1 I have put stickers on the outside of the envelope and they never got rejected. I use to do that at Soledad too, and not once were mine rejected. I don't put them on the letter, just the envelope. As usual, I am sure it all depends on the prison and the people working the mailroom. What else is new, right??

Also, you can send an envelope up to 2 lbs, not over. And don't forget, anything over 13 ounces (throughout the US, not just prisons) you have to go to the P.O. counter or use their walk up automated machine and get a preprinted stamp from them and not regular stamps. Or that will be rejected.

Take care...........

edsbaby
10-16-2008, 09:12 AM
Queenie is right, it does depend on the prison and who's workin the mailroom!! Each place my husband's been no stickers. Never tried at Corcoran 1. It takes so long for them to get mail, I wouldn't want to risk getting it send back because of a sticker. LOL!!