View Full Version : what does the state provide inmates?

krackergrl
10-12-2008, 10:48 AM
i thought i saw a thread somewhere on here before but i cant for the life of me remember where i saw it.

what exactly do prisoners with no money in their accounts, get from the state? in terms of toothpaste, deoderant, supplies, etc? and how often do they get it?

TyronesWife
10-12-2008, 03:39 PM
In addition to a mattress thinner than my cell phone and 3 meals a day that wouldn't fill my 11 year olds stomach they get toothpaste (every other week), toothbrush (every other week), razor (once a week), soap (once a week) and 1 roll of toilet paper (once a week).

The time frames I quoted were what I used to pass out 5 years ago. I'm not sure if they're the same any longer due to budget cuts.

ben's girl
10-14-2008, 08:41 PM
I asked Ben about this tonight:

razors twice a week
one roll of toilet paper a week
one toothbrush and toothpaste a month
washcloth every 6 months (sometimes)
hotel size soap once a week

*shampoo & deodorant are not provided

JnBForever
10-15-2008, 11:27 AM
I asked Ben about this tonight:

razors twice a week
one roll of toilet paper a week
one toothbrush and toothpaste a month
washcloth every 6 months (sometimes)
hotel size soap once a week

*shampoo & deodorant are not provided

Aren't they allowed to purchase some of these items if they have money in their account?

I'm His Mom
10-15-2008, 02:12 PM
Yes, they can buy items from the canteen.My son buys quite a few hygiene items as they have some better items. They don't offer top brands, but they are better than state issue. He also purchased an electric (battery-operated) razor as it's easier on his skin.

ben's girl
10-15-2008, 07:35 PM
Aren't they allowed to purchase some of these items if they have money in their account?

Yes, but the OP asked what was provided by the State to inmates who do not have money. I know they can purchase soap and toothpaste. Not sure about a toothbrush, but for sure not razors.

tcheatham
11-03-2008, 12:54 AM
As of late the state has discontinued most of the indigent packets that they used to hand out. I know in 2005 the packets that were handed out contained soap, razor, toothpaste and toothbrush. Then the state decided not to pass out soap anymore they have bottles of watered down soap in the showers for the men to use, and for the ones who couldn't buy a razor when the barber would come around they would have him run the hair clippers over them. I am not sure what if anything they pass out now.

or-mtwt
11-03-2008, 02:37 PM
all inmates in the state of FL must shave and have hair cuts so the DOC must supply all inmates with the means of doing so. they are also given a travel size tube of toothpaste per month they are given one half (1/2) bar of soap (you know the blue bars in the bathrooms in the VP?! break it in half and thats the size...) to cover all uses of soap and they get that once a week. that will cover bathing, hair, washing clothes, washing hands, shaving and washing their cups or spoons they have for coffee oh and they do not get coffee from the state either.... they get one roll of TP and they use that for more then just the crapper per week...

ben's girl
11-05-2008, 07:16 PM
I am not sure what if anything they pass out now.

The list I posted above is current.