View Full Version : % of release on probation after 90 day evaluation

emilynjj
10-06-2008, 12:11 AM
hello,
Does anyone know what is the possibility and percent of release on probation after a 90 days evaluation? If release on probation, usually how long is the probation?
Thanks!

lpjrecto
10-07-2008, 03:11 AM
I'm not sure exactly what the percentages are, but I do know that this method is being utilized more often by both private counsel as well as public defenders.

My son did a "90-Day" in Chino. Through PTO, we met and were helped by an inmate who looked after my son and this inmate's spouse who was a never-ending source of correct information and emotional support. They certainly made the ordeal much easier for numerous reasons and I'll never forget their kindness.

My son was 20 at the time. He was apprehended during a high-speed chase after committing two residential burglaries and two major shoplifting forays near the burglarized homes. My son had told ALL to the interrogating officer, so at this point, it seemed like a matter of a plea. He did take a plea to a strike.

About one month after the 90 Day, my son was released on Felony Probation after having been incarcerated for approximately 11 months total time - all spent at San Bernardino County jails (Glen Helen, West Valley, and Adelanto for a few days) including the time at Chino.

The Co-Defendant, on the other hand, took a plea very quickly and did two years' state time and was recently released on Parole.

The results of the Evaluation were very positive for my son, but he was aware of who the Evaluator's employer was.

From a mother's perspective, the worst part of it was the one-two weeks' time I could not locate him after receiving a recorded call that he had been moved to "The State of California." Uh...California has how many prisons? I was told by several state employees that my son could call me if he wanted to. Not true. He did not have phone privileges for at least one week.

Although the individulas on the 90-Day Evaluation Program are supposed to be separated from the general prison population, this wasn't the case, and I hear it still isn't the reality.

The end result was he received three years Felony Probation (just completed one year) and reports in quarterly, pays resitution monthly, and has had one surprise visit by County probation. It was such a joy to have my kitchen inspected.

Most of the attorneys I know are amazed he never saw state time considering what he managed to accomplish within those few hours.

Additionally, my son believes it's preferrable to be a Probationer vs. a Parolee when dealing with law enforcement and applying for employment after release.

I think the Chino forum might have more information with regard to the 90-day.

One tip is to have your loved one get you the visiting permission forms ASAP. It takes a while to process them, and you cannot see him until you are cleared.

I hope this helps...I know it was mind boggling for me.

emilynjj
10-07-2008, 08:14 PM
hi lpjrecto (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/member.php?u=97875)
Thanks for replying my message. My bf is actually done w/ the evaluation. We are just waiting for court day and see what the judge has to say. May I know why is it better to be a probationer than to be a parolee? How does it help finding in employment and finding a job? I had been through all the hassle of visitation form and locating him. Believe it or not, i still have not been approval. But it's ok, he is in county now, so I can visit him every weekend. Thanks again!

lpjrecto
10-08-2008, 02:45 AM
I don't think it's necessarily easier to find a job if one is a probationer vs. a parolee, although "probationer" would imply less time behind bars, and perhaps a "lesser" offense. I'm not a defense attorney, but I recall some professional explaining to me that time in county was limited to one year.

We all know the system is broken - before, during, and after incarceration. I was never aware of what a mess it is until I experienced it by way of my son. The experience made me see things MUCH differently. My younger children are almost afraid of police - although they break no laws to my knowledge.

There are some jail-to-job programs out there - depending on the county, etc., etc. Theoretically, a probation officer is supposed to be a good source for these programs rather than someone to fear, but that isn't always the case.

I recall being very happy to see my son - waiting for hours on the phone to make an appointment to see him behind glass for 20 minutes, being treated like crap by some COs, and the whole ridiculousness of it all.

I'll be happy never to "visit" another San Bernardino County Jail facility again in my lifetime.

emilynjj
10-09-2008, 11:44 PM
wow thanks for giving me useful info!
I really I appreciated.
Have a wonderful weekend!