View Full Version : Pen pals of an Oregon inmate?

Rossifan
10-02-2008, 04:19 AM
Hi all,

After many months of lurking on here (plus the odd post here and there) I thought it might be nice to start a thread on here to get to know a few people.

I thought it might be good to encourage other people like me who write to an inmate in Oregon from overseas or other states in the US to say "hello" and maybe dispel a few myths around why we chose to write to an inmate.

So if you are a penpal of someone in Oregon or if perhaps you want to find a out a little more about those of us who write to inmates with no strings other than just to communicate then please drop in - ask questions too!

I will start....my name is Zoe and I write to a guy in SRCI. We have a really good laugh in our letters and have been writing for 10 months now. The thing that has surprised me the most about this experience is actually have found we have a lot in common despite growing up and living in completely different parts of the world. So far for me this has been a very positive experience.

So over to you ladies and gents....I would love to hear from you and if this all falls flat and no-one replies then at least I tried!

Best wishes,

Zoe

Rossifan
10-10-2008, 03:09 PM
Well 42 of you out there stopped by to look but no-one stopped to say hello.....I will try not to be too offended!! lol!

Oh well, I tried.

All the best to you all in the Oregon forum.

Zoe

grannyG
10-10-2008, 05:44 PM
Sorry Rossifan, I looked and didn't say hi. I thought you were wanting other penpals to respond. As I am here becuase of my brother, I looked without responding. We were hoping you would get response from other penpals, like you had asked for. I have looked a couple times. I guess I should have said hi. I hosted a foreign exchange student one year. The thing I found, regardless of where we are from, people are just people. I am glad you have found common ground, and a positive experience having a pen pal in the Oregon prison system.

Zelda50
10-11-2008, 01:20 AM
Hi Rossifan. Glad to meet you. I think it's great that you write to a prison penpal because contact with the outside world can be very important to someone who is incarcerated. It gives them other ideas and perspectives to think about and not feel so isolated. I write to a friend of mine in the Oregon system whom I have known for many, many years and my husband is in federal prison. They know of each other but don't know each other, though they met once a long time ago in a county jail when they were both waiting for trial. I once wrote to a prisoner in England in the hopes I would learn more about the prison system there. But my first letter took months for him to receive because of being moved from one prison to another. I received one letter in return and wrote again but never received another response. Don't know if he ever got my second letter. Do you talk with your penpal about differences in the prison systems? I know the court systems are quite different. Zelda

Rossifan
10-13-2008, 04:06 PM
Hi Rossifan. Glad to meet you. I think it's great that you write to a prison penpal because contact with the outside world can be very important to someone who is incarcerated. It gives them other ideas and perspectives to think about and not feel so isolated. I write to a friend of mine in the Oregon system whom I have known for many, many years and my husband is in federal prison. They know of each other but don't know each other, though they met once a long time ago in a county jail when they were both waiting for trial. I once wrote to a prisoner in England in the hopes I would learn more about the prison system there. But my first letter took months for him to receive because of being moved from one prison to another. I received one letter in return and wrote again but never received another response. Don't know if he ever got my second letter. Do you talk with your penpal about differences in the prison systems? I know the court systems are quite different. Zelda

Hi GrannyG and Zelda,

Thanks so much for responding - you have made my Monday and I am not a big fan of Monday's! lol!

To answer your question Zelda my friend and I don't discuss the differences between UK and US prisons, in fact we don't really talk about prison at all. I try not to ask too many questions about what it is like behind bars because I want to take him away from all that if that makes sense. It seems a bit thoughtless to focus on that all the time. So instead I bore him senseless about my life here! It's really great because despite the fact we come from completely different places we have found we have lots in common. It has amazed me how much of a laugh we can have through letters too!

Anyway, I am rambling but wanted to say thanks to you both for responding. I set up the thread in the hope that other penpals and also Oregon forum members might stop by so we could perhaps bridge a gap. Maybe now you guys have taken that step others will too.

Well it is late here but I hope you guys enjoy the rest of your Monday!

Cheers,

Zoe

lushlifepdx
10-14-2008, 02:48 AM
Hi guys,
I have been looking all over the site tonight and can't find where the pen pal section is at. My guy is at Deer Ridge in Oregon and said one of the guy there wants a pen pal. Nothing funky, just some gal to write to and get letters from.

He's 48, single and a nice guy according to my guy. That's all I know.

Rick Rogers SID #16571025
Deer Ridge Correctional Institution
3920 East Ashwood Road
Madras, OR 97741

Thanks.

Tammy

grannyG
11-09-2008, 07:46 PM
Rossifan, my brother found me a penpal, before I even got a chance to ask him to. I now have a penpal. Well, I get to be his "other mom". He is young enough to be one of my kids, I do have children older than him. He just wants to hear about life on the outside from good people. So, now I join you in having a pen pal to write to. I need to get busy and write him and my brother, again.

Zelda50
11-09-2008, 08:05 PM
I'm thinking there is a Penpal section of PTO also - if you want to post there as well. If you go to the main section and scroll down, you'll likely find it. Unless I made that up! LOL!

Rossifan
11-10-2008, 03:24 PM
Rossifan, my brother found me a penpal, before I even got a chance to ask him to. I now have a penpal. Well, I get to be his "other mom". He is young enough to be one of my kids, I do have children older than him. He just wants to hear about life on the outside from good people. So, now I join you in having a pen pal to write to. I need to get busy and write him and my brother, again.

Yay! That is great news! I was actually thinking of you the other day because I found the penpal section on here that Zelda mentioned and I was going to send you a message about it but then I thought I might be being too pushy! :)

Good on your brother for finding you someone though, I think he will be lucky to get to write to someone that is good fun and also that knows a bit about what he is up against. Make sure you keep me updated on how it is all going!!

I sometimes wish I could write to other people too but it takes enough time to write to one for me as I work full time and I seem to manage to have a jam packed life too! One lady on here writes to 15 inmates - can you imagine! Now that is dedication and pretty fantastic too!

I hope you are well G!

Rossifan
11-10-2008, 03:27 PM
I'm thinking there is a Penpal section of PTO also - if you want to post there as well. If you go to the main section and scroll down, you'll likely find it. Unless I made that up! LOL!

Hi Zelda,

Hope you are well.

You are right about the penpal section - I found it by accident the other day! I am not sure I should have looked at it to be honest as there are loads of people that need penpals and I just wish I had some more time to write to someone else. :)

If anyone is interested just check out the main forum page and scroll down past all the US regional forums and it is there.

Thanks Zelda for mentioning it.

purdymommaof1
11-27-2008, 11:18 PM
Hi all,

After many months of lurking on here (plus the odd post here and there) I thought it might be nice to start a thread on here to get to know a few people.

I thought it might be good to encourage other people like me who write to an inmate in Oregon from overseas or other states in the US to say "hello" and maybe dispel a few myths around why we chose to write to an inmate.

So if you are a penpal of someone in Oregon or if perhaps you want to find a out a little more about those of us who write to inmates with no strings other than just to communicate then please drop in - ask questions too!

I will start....my name is Zoe and I write to a guy in SRCI. We have a really good laugh in our letters and have been writing for 10 months now. The thing that has surprised me the most about this experience is actually have found we have a lot in common despite growing up and living in completely different parts of the world. So far for me this has been a very positive experience.

So over to you ladies and gents....I would love to hear from you and if this all falls flat and no-one replies then at least I tried!

Best wishes,

Zoe
Hello,i too have a pen-pal from Oregon..OSCI in Salem.We have been writing for quiet sometime and have fallen in love.We plan on getting married when he gets out in July 09.

Rossifan
11-28-2008, 02:31 PM
Hi there,

Well a massive congratulations to you! July 09 is not far away now either so you must be really excited.

Thanks for sharing your news and keep us posted on the Wedding! :)

Zoe

purdymommaof1
12-12-2008, 01:55 PM
Zoe,Hello...I just now recieved your message...Im new on here and havent quiet figured out how everything works.And yes i am very excited about the wedding....him and me are probably the only ones excited since he's 28 and I'm 39...have not gotten to much support from anyone...especially HIS parents:argh:

Rossifan
12-12-2008, 04:35 PM
Hi Purdy,

No worries about the delay in replying, it is quite hard to keep up with it all sometimes and I am sure you have a life to be getting on with too!

It is a shame that others aren't excited for you but the main thing is that you both are excited and looking forward to sharing your new life together - not too long now! :)

As for his folks, well he is a grown up and one way or another they will have to accept it. I am sure they will come around once they see how happy you both are.

If you ever need a friendly ear then you know where I am, just send me a private message on here at anytime. :)

Zoe x

soymaple
12-13-2008, 08:02 PM
Hi to all,

My name is Anabella and I write to a guy at OSP. Actually, I got my first letter today! I was sooo happy! :D

Rossifan
12-14-2008, 03:47 AM
Hi Anabella,

Welcome! That is great news.....it is so lovely to receive that first letter. Trust me though, you will soon be waiting on his replies - I love coming home from work to find a letter from my friend, always makes me smile!

Keep in touch and let us all know how is progresses. I wish you happy writing! :)

Zoe x

Crawling
12-14-2008, 03:55 AM
soymaple, I know how you feel. I got my first letter from a guy at OSCI last monday :D I didn't think I would get one back becouse it almost took a month for him to get my letter (I'm in Norway) :rolleyes:

Rossifan
12-14-2008, 09:32 AM
A month?! Wow, that is a long time! Mine take pretty much a week to get there from the UK and the same for his to get back to me. Maybe the post was just being a bit dodgy in the run up to Christmas :(

Anyway, great that you got a reply - happy writing!! :)

Zoe x

soymaple
12-14-2008, 09:50 AM
Thanks Rossifan!

I know what you mean! I canīt wait to go to the post office tomorrow again and send him another one! :)

Wow, Crawling! One month itīs definitely a long time! But, you know what they say: "better later than never", right!? ;) Iīm glad you got a reply.
Mine takes a week to get there from Argentina and the same for his. Although, I thought it would take longer considering the distance.

Happy writing to all! And letīs all keep in touch! :D

Rossifan
12-14-2008, 11:56 AM
And letīs all keep in touch! :D

Absolutely! :thumbsup:

Zoe x

Crawling
12-14-2008, 04:03 PM
Yeah, a month :blah: The letter he sent didn't take that long and I hope he get's my second letter a little faster this time.

Rossifan
12-15-2008, 01:48 PM
Sounds like it was just a one off if his letter didn't take that long to reach you. I bet your second letter will get there quicker - keeping my fingers crossed that is does! :)

Z x

Crawling
12-16-2008, 03:00 AM
Sounds like it was just a one off if his letter didn't take that long to reach you. I bet your second letter will get there quicker - keeping my fingers crossed that is does! :)

Z x

Thank you. I'm keeping my finger crossed too :D

Crawling
12-16-2008, 06:12 PM
Thank you. I'm keeping my finger crossed too :D

I mean fingerS. I do have more than one finger :rolleyes:

soymaple
12-16-2008, 06:42 PM
I mean fingerS. I do have more than one finger :rolleyes:

Ha,ha.. Good! I was starting to get worried! :D

Crawling
12-17-2008, 05:40 PM
Ha,ha.. Good! I was starting to get worried! :D

Haha, would be hard writing with one finger :rolleyes:

Zelda50
12-19-2008, 11:03 PM
Yeah - but one finger is really all you need for the Oregon DOC ... :)

Rossifan
12-20-2008, 04:42 AM
lmao!!! That is so funny Zelda!! You do make me laugh! :)

soymaple
01-15-2009, 12:22 PM
Iīm back, ladies! ;) Happy new year to all of you, by the way. :D

Unfortunately, I havenīt heard from my Oregon pen pal in a month. Iīm actually quite worried and a bit sad.. I know it takes a long time for my letters to get to him since Iīm on the other side of the world, but I hope he just ran out of stamps or something like that :confused:
Anyway, I sent him a letter today. I really hope I hear from him soon.

What about you? Howīs everything going with your pen pals?! Letīs keep in touch, girls! :)

Zelda50
01-15-2009, 07:00 PM
Be patient. It seems like mail, even here in Oregon, was delayed in December. I just received a letter a couple days ago that my friend wrote December 24th - it was postmarked January 10th!

grannyG
01-15-2009, 10:03 PM
Well, let me just say, it is official. I now have 4 pen pals. I went from just writing my brother, to having 4 pen pals and my brother to write. I only asked him for one. These are young guys that he knows inside, and have little contact with the outside world. And, I am offering to list guys on pen pal sites. My brother will get their info and send it to me. Any of you want new/another pen pal? I haven't gotten any names yet to list. I just wonder how I will keep up with all of them when/if I ever find a job? My letters are coming through OK.
It was really neat going to the mail box last night and having three (3) letters. I usually only get that many a month, and they are all from my brother. Now, I actually am starting to look forward to going out for the mail. For a change, it isn't all bills in the mail box. :)

soymaple
01-16-2009, 08:35 AM
Ha,ha. Thatīs great! Happy writing to you grannyG!
Itīs great to see thereīs mail waiting for you.. and even better when itīs not just bills! :D

I can take a new pen pal so, as soon as you get their info, PM me! ;)

Rossifan
01-16-2009, 03:15 PM
Iīm back, ladies! ;) Happy new year to all of you, by the way. :D

Unfortunately, I havenīt heard from my Oregon pen pal in a month. Iīm actually quite worried and a bit sad.. I know it takes a long time for my letters to get to him since Iīm on the other side of the world, but I hope he just ran out of stamps or something like that :confused:
Anyway, I sent him a letter today. I really hope I hear from him soon.

What about you? Howīs everything going with your pen pals?! Letīs keep in touch, girls! :)

Hiya matey,

How you doing? Like Zelda said don't fret too much. I had a letter the other day that was posted on the 16th Dec with a Christmas card and everything in it - it had been missent to Singapore!! The mail is just crazy this time of year so try not to sweat it too much. I hope you hear from him soon too!

Everything is good with J and me, I sent him a couple of books at Christmas and he was all happy with those which was great. He is in minimum now and all happy coz he got his security clearance all sorted and is doing his new job so all is headed in the right direction for him. :)

Happy new year to you too!! Keep in touch - send me a PM anytime!

Zoe x

Rossifan
01-16-2009, 03:17 PM
Well, let me just say, it is official. I now have 4 pen pals. I went from just writing my brother, to having 4 pen pals and my brother to write. I only asked him for one. These are young guys that he knows inside, and have little contact with the outside world. And, I am offering to list guys on pen pal sites. My brother will get their info and send it to me. Any of you want new/another pen pal? I haven't gotten any names yet to list. I just wonder how I will keep up with all of them when/if I ever find a job? My letters are coming through OK.
It was really neat going to the mail box last night and having three (3) letters. I usually only get that many a month, and they are all from my brother. Now, I actually am starting to look forward to going out for the mail. For a change, it isn't all bills in the mail box. :)

Wow GrannyG - 4 penpals!! How did that happen??!! Cool though, it's lovely to come home to a letter isn't it? It always brings a smile to my face!

I hope all is well with you and your brother :)

Zoe x

grannyG
01-16-2009, 07:25 PM
soymaple, I would be happy to, just as soon as I get my first bunch of names. I will pick one out for you. If you have any preferances as to who you write, then please pm me that information, and I will find you someone more compatable to you desires to write. G.

ashleyelainee
01-22-2009, 09:16 PM
Hi ladies! Well I too, have a pen pal, at Oregon State Pen. He is getting out Feb 13th! (Yayy!) We have been writing for about 9 months now...and we've been together for 2...=]...can't wait to meet him! =]

Rossifan
01-23-2009, 06:17 AM
Wow ash...that is fantastic news. You must be very excited - just before valentines day too!! lol! :)

Crawling
01-23-2009, 08:02 PM
Hi! Just checking in to say hello :) I hope everyone is doing fine.
Waiting for my third letter from my pp. I'm so looking forward to hearing from him :)

I have a question too. I have bought tons of nice envelopes with different designs but when I got them I found out that there isn't any glue on them! :mad: Would they notice if I use glue regular glue to close it? I'm getting so bored with the white envelopes and now I have over 150 really nice envelopes without glue lol. He is at OSCI.

Rossifan
01-24-2009, 10:30 AM
Hi C,

How are things with you? I hope all is well.

I am pretty sure that it will be fine if you use regular glue but you can close them with sellotape if you like. Generally sticky tape isn't allowed in some prisons but it seems to be fine if you are sending letters internationally. Sometimes my envelopes won't stay sealed and I just pop some sticky tape on it and it is fine. I write to my friend in SRCI.

If you are really concerned have a look on the DOC website and email the mailroom at OSCI, they should be able to help you.

Any problems finding info then let me know (drop me a PM) and I will see if I can find anything out for you.

Zx

Crawling
01-24-2009, 04:09 PM
I'm doing great :) Got a letter from my newest pen pal today so that made my day.

I'm gonna send you an PM.

Rossifan
01-25-2009, 12:53 PM
I'm doing great :) Got a letter from my newest pen pal today so that made my day.

I'm gonna send you an PM.

Cool, where is your newest pp at? :)

Crawling
01-27-2009, 04:11 PM
Cool, where is your newest pp at? :)

He's in Idaho :)

Crawling
01-27-2009, 04:17 PM
Yeah, one more question.. Can I send a letter on colored paper? I have just been usin white with lines because I've been to afraid that they would send it back for some reason :p I want to use red paper when I send a little letter with his Valentines card :)

grannyG
01-27-2009, 10:10 PM
Yes you may use colored paper. I write my letters out on the computer and print them off. I bought some computer paper with cute little borders on it. None of that is a problem. The problem comes when you draw pictures and things. No crayon, no felt markers I believe. You can use colored pencil, colored ink pens of different color, and you can't have any stains on the letter or envelope. No lipstick kisses. This is a few of the rules. Colored envelopes are fine, but I'm not at all sure what you are allowed to seal them with where they came without sticky.

grannyG
01-27-2009, 10:18 PM
I haven't received any letters :( in over a week from any of my pp's -- not since the 15th. I haven't even received a letter from my brother. At least my brother has called, but no mail. That makes me sad. I just keep writing, and not getting any letters back. So, maybe I should quit writing, maybe they'll get the hint. I thought with 4 pp's and my brother, I should be getting letters a couple times a week. Oh well.

Crawling
01-28-2009, 04:50 AM
Thanks for answering grannyG :) I hope you get some letters in the mail soon :)

grannyG
01-28-2009, 06:47 PM
Yippy, got a letter today from one of my pen pals. It was really nice. This was the 2nd letter from this pp.

Crawling
01-31-2009, 02:28 PM
That's great grannyG :) I just mailed out a new letter to my pp in ND.
Hopefully I will get a letter from my pp in OR soon.

soymaple
01-31-2009, 04:53 PM
Hi to all, ladies!

Hope you are all having a great weekend!

I finally got a letter today from my pal at OSP! Yaaaaay! :D I was soooooo happy to see that orange envelope waiting for me! Ha,ha..

It took more than a month for my letter to get to him!! :eek: Unbelievable! I was so worried about him.. Iīm really glad to know he is doing fine!

Anyway, I just wanted to share my happiness with all of you! ;) Hope we all get loads of mail next week! Letīs keep in touch!

Crawling
01-31-2009, 08:01 PM
I'm happy to hear you got mail soymaple :)

I love the orange envelope lol. But I hate when it takes forever for my letter to reach my pp :blah:

grannyG
02-04-2009, 08:57 PM
I am so lucky. I got letters from two of my pen pals today. That just put my brother in hot water cause he still hasn't written me. He did send info with one of the guys in their letter, though. I also got a photo of one of my pen pals. It really is great. If I have a question about how to do something, I ask one of my pen pals, and they get the answer from some else that knows, and I get the answer. This works pretty swift. I am learning all kinds of nice trivia, also how to tan sheep hides, do logging, you name it. I am sure their "helping" me makes them feel really good too.
Soymaple, I am glad you got your letter you were worrying about. My brother hasn't said anything to me about your new pp yet, whether he received your letter yet or not. I will ask again this week when my brother calls.

esteli
02-10-2009, 06:22 AM
I'm looking for a pen pal preferably at the OSP. Anyone know one? I'm looking to write someone not too young and maybe Hispanic. Please drop me a line if you know of someone interested in writing. Thanks.

grannyG
02-10-2009, 09:18 AM
Martha, I would suggest you can go to LostVault.com and find one. You can select by state, age, then search for the institution you want. There are hundreds of guys listed there looking for penpals to write them. There are other sites too, but I am familiar with that one. Or, if you aren't so concerned they be from OSP, I could get my pp's to find you one in your age and race criteria, from their prison.

PhilB
05-18-2009, 01:44 AM
This is the New Member Introduction forum. It is not intended to start a different subject matter. Please post you pen-pal question in the regular Oregon forums.
There is also a pen-pal forum at the main PTO Forum.
Thank You