View Full Version : Photos on MDOC

uk599905
09-30-2008, 01:04 PM
Hi...

just wondering if you lovely people can help me here with a very small question I have.

OK, the person I write to has a picture in their MDOC info page. You know the kind of thing. And it tells you when the picture was taken. Since I started writing to her, just over a year ago, she's had three updates of that photo, the newest one is just up there, taken last week. But, some of the other Lifers, in the same facility, haven't had their photo updated at all in 3 years.

So my question is: what's the criteria for the updates on the photos being updated???? Or is it just one of those things that MDOC do, as and when they see fit, with no real reasoning behind it. (I'm presuming that prisoners can't refuse to have their picture taken... so that's ruled out.. but I could be wrong!)

Just wondering really...

tballa
09-30-2008, 01:11 PM
Good question! I don't know the answer but I'm betting someone does!!

uk599905
09-30-2008, 01:39 PM
Good question! I don't know the answer but I'm betting someone does!!

Indeed tballa! :) That was what I was hoping too!!!!!!!

Oh... and.. erm... does anyone else save the picture? I know it's a bit weird, but I did, then I saved the next one, and then last night I went to look something up on OTIS, and clicked on the thing I have in my bookmarks, which takes me straight to her MDOC profile, where I can then go to OTIS, and I got a right surprise, because the pic had been updated... I even went and dragged the Ex up to look at it on my computer, ( long story.. I live with my Ex, who knows I write to her...in fact, if it hadn't of been for the Ex getting a particular newspaper delivered, I wouldn't be here now!) But I was chuffed to bits to see her looking healthy and happy....and I saved the pic... :confused:

OK... I'm hoping that aint just me!?!?!?!

:)

tballa
09-30-2008, 02:26 PM
Nope, not just you! I saved pictures too although his hasn't been updated but I told him it needs to be because he looks like he has clown hair (sticking up on both sides)! Right after I saw that picture I told him he needed to go get his hair cut!!

AmyLynn
09-30-2008, 02:55 PM
Usally they could change it if the person looks different and if they change prison but I'm not sure what the rules are for taking a new photo.

uk599905
09-30-2008, 03:19 PM
Usally they could change it if the person looks different and if they change prison but I'm not sure what the rules are for taking a new photo.

Nope, in this case, no major changes. It's hard to spot any changes, except she's got her hair different. No new tattoos (she has none) , no new scars... no change of prison... nothing to say there's been any change.

3 pics in just over 2 years... while others don't have their pic updated.. I'm guessing it's just MDOC grabbing in those who happen to be in the location at the time... and those who aren't.. don't get their pic updated.

Totally random.

lady_love6866
09-30-2008, 03:40 PM
Sorry I cant help either, but I know my ex was moved 3 times in the 2 years he was in and his picture remained the same, still does.
and to your other question, no its not u, I saved my ex's pic when we were together and saved my current b/f's pic. His past one from his previous incarceration and this one, I liked being able to compare them, he has changed in his looks.
I am curious now as to why they would do that too.

D

angelical128
09-30-2008, 04:19 PM
I believe the pictures are supposed to be updated every three years. My hubby's is four years old and hasn't being updated yet.

mrssunnyb
09-30-2008, 05:42 PM
I Have Asked My Husband About That - I Know That He Had A New One Taken When He Moved Facilities One Time, But Not Every Time.

He Said That They Can Also Pay Money To Get A New One.

LeaAnn
09-30-2008, 05:48 PM
I know someone requested a new photo be taken of her husband and they did it.

dianna1975
09-30-2008, 06:01 PM
I have tried to save the MDOC pic, but everytime I get the error message, "The system cannot find the file specified."

MOMLOVESUALL
09-30-2008, 06:08 PM
Hi...

just wondering if you lovely people can help me here with a very small question I have.

OK, the person I write to has a picture in their MDOC info page. You know the kind of thing. And it tells you when the picture was taken. Since I started writing to her, just over a year ago, she's had three updates of that photo, the newest one is just up there, taken last week. But, some of the other Lifers, in the same facility, haven't had their photo updated at all in 3 years.

So my question is: what's the criteria for the updates on the photos being updated???? Or is it just one of those things that MDOC do, as and when they see fit, with no real reasoning behind it. (I'm presuming that prisoners can't refuse to have their picture taken... so that's ruled out.. but I could be wrong!)

Just wondering really...
Can you tell me what is the MDOC?

mrssunnyb
09-30-2008, 06:11 PM
Can you tell me what is the MDOC?

MICHIGAN DEPARTMENT OF CORRECTIONS

vanillia cookie
09-30-2008, 08:44 PM
i think and i maybe wrong but maybe she lost her id and had to take another picture.

jlzkmm
09-30-2008, 10:09 PM
Ummm....stupid question here...how do you save their picture?

MomTo5
10-01-2008, 04:47 AM
Right click go to "save as"

uk599905
10-01-2008, 12:16 PM

Exactly as Momto5 says, though you have to have the cursor over the picture at the time.

Cursor (pointer thing) over the pic, right click on your mouse, brings up a little box thing, you should see "save picture as" ... then click on "save picture as" .... a new box should appear showing you where it is going to be saved (normally your pictures file) , and what it will be called. Click "Save".

:thumbsup: Have a practice with any picture you see anywhere on the net.... if it doesn't work.. you're doing it wrong... have another go! ( you get unlimited free tries at getting it right :) )

Thanks for the info on how pics get taken you lovely people! I didn't know you could pay to get a new one!

jlzkmm
10-01-2008, 09:29 PM

Hmmmm...I don't have a right click. :rolleyes: I have a MacBrook Pro. Any other suggestions? :p Thanks y'all!

dianna1975
10-02-2008, 06:20 AM
Well, I right-clicked till my eyes crossed, everytime I selected "save as" I continued to get the error message.
JLZ - what ended up working for me was this: a lady I speak with on PTO who was able to save the MDOC pic offered to save it and email the pic to me, which worked. Thank you again bear!!

uk599905
10-02-2008, 01:13 PM
Well, I right-clicked till my eyes crossed, everytime I selected "save as" I continued to get the error message.
JLZ - what ended up working for me was this: a lady I speak with on PTO who was able to save the MDOC pic offered to save it and email the pic to me, which worked. Thank you again bear!!

Aha! Genius idea! (if anyone wants me to email them a pic of their loved one, just contact me by private message with their mdoc number, would be glad to help!)

And here's another... :)

Take a picture using your mobile phone's camera facility! You just have to hold it very close to your screen and keep very still... ( I am joking about my mobile phone idea btw!)

jlzkmm
10-02-2008, 09:19 PM
My brain kicked in at work today to do it there and put it on my stick! :D We don't have macs there...

But thanks y'all! I appreciate the offer uk599905. :) Thank you.

LostTime
10-03-2008, 07:18 AM
Now my man is at Newberry and Just had his pic updated and it was almost 4 years since that had happened but I know people that have theirs done all the time also
like my cousin so I think it just depends
I don't know but I'll ask my cousin or maybe Mr.Losbster Knows

HOPE4FUTURE
10-03-2008, 07:56 AM
My man said it's just a random thing as to how some get their pictures taken mare than others. It is just a matter of when your number comes up on the computer. But sometimes inmates lose their ID's and have to pay $5.00 to get another one. So it could have something to do with carelessness too. They used to be free but not anymore. Some probably lost them on purpose because they didn't like their pics and wanted a new one. I told my man that he gets picked quite often to get a new one and he said, "Well, Baby, you know I'm a good looking guy!" LOL

Kyle's Gurl
10-03-2008, 07:02 PM
Through sprint.. i can save the picture on my computer, then upload it to my sprint page, then send it to my phone and save it on my phone :) I havn't done it yet cuz i have a better pic of him lol.

kountrykutie197
10-03-2008, 08:42 PM
wouldn't it be easier to mark that in your favorites?

sandymom
10-03-2008, 09:13 PM
I am guessing you just copy and paste and save the pic in your files.

My son has moved 9 times in two years and still has the same pic. He has lost 40 lbs.
I never thought about them changing the pic, I think I am going to save this one now.

uk599905
10-04-2008, 05:31 AM
I never thought about them changing the pic, I think I am going to save this one now.

:thumbsup: Nice one. I didn't know so many people either didn't know how to save a pic, or that it had never occurred to them.

Like I said earlier, I have 3 pictures of the person I write to. And it's something I glad I did save. If only to see the change in the person themselves. She is a juvenile Lifer, so the changes are more noticeable, physically, although she still looks like she's far too young to be in prison. The first picture, I guess, was taken shortly after her trial, and you can see the absolute shock and despair in that photo, it's horrible. Her next, taken about 6 months ago, she looks far more in control, not happy, but... it's hard to explain, almost a resignation of her fate and a defiance.

The newest picture she looks like she might be just about to smile. It's not much, it's a tiny thing, but you look at that picture and think that while she's had her freedom taken away, forever, she is making it through, that faint glimmer of a smile means that she hasn't given up hope.

Sometimes I wonder about starting threads like this, but if, like this thread has shown, some people learn something new, and get to save a pic ( at MDOC's expense!) of their loved one, then it has been worth it. :)

WrInThs2gthrNow
10-06-2008, 09:08 PM
I saved Cals MDOC pic! Its cute.. he looks like a little boy without facial hair.

MrsVedo989
10-07-2008, 11:19 AM
I'm not sure,either but let us know what you find out!!