View Full Version : Time Setting Hearing

superdreamATM
09-24-2008, 02:39 PM
Can anyone explain what exactly a Time Setting Hearing is? My husband has one scheduled for October 9. Is it even a "hearing" or more of a meeting where the parole board TELLS him when he might be out, what kind of credit he can earn, etc.? I am totally confused about the Board of Parole's processes! Thanks!

heysmom
09-25-2008, 08:21 AM
It is where they tell him how much time he has to do on the parole violation and then set his RED date. Usually it is a year on the parole violation or they could tell him to do all his time then start his new sentence. Hope this helps. GOOD LUCK!!!:)

superdreamATM
09-25-2008, 09:04 AM
When he went to his parole revocation hearing, they told him he'd do a year on the violation and come back March 2009 for his parole hearing. But they never have added his new charges ( 5 years at 45%) to FOIL. He said maybe they will let him go ahead and start the 5 years , and maybe say he is done serving time on his violation. We really don't know. I personally don't understand! Why did he go to a revocation hearing and them tell him something, then go to court and they sentence him, and now he goes and they are gonna kinda do the same thign again??? it's so confusing

heysmom
09-25-2008, 09:35 AM
Welcome to the CONVICT life!! Just when you think everything is going to be over and you can settle down for the long road of doing time they come up with something else. And it just doesnt affect the person doing time it is us too. When the judge sentenced my son he asked me if I would like to say anything. I told him what he had done was sentence me to all those years too. That no matter what he had done as long as I had breath in my body I would always be there for him.
I might not like him and the things that he did but no matter what I LOVE HIM!

superdreamATM
09-26-2008, 09:14 AM
it seems to me that no matter what they say in court or at a parole hearing, you have to take it with a grain of salt. They do what they want, when they want. Am I right??? I called the prison and they said no need to come to the time setting hearing, but Trey keeps insisting that I need to come.So i don't know what to do.

heysmom
09-26-2008, 09:43 AM
I know he wants you there if nothing else but moral support. The only hard part is that you will not be able to talk to him or have any kind of conversation with him. Also the parole board will not let you have any input in the hearing.
I gave in and went to my sons and all it did was make me sad that they saw him in a diffrent light than I did. Sometimes they say some things that we know but dont want want anyone else to say. (If you know what I mean).:(

Odd Mushroom
09-26-2008, 05:43 PM
She's right. You won't have the opportunity to say ANYTHING! I went to Chris's revocation. But I had to. Since I will never be able to visit him, I knew that they could not stop me from attending his hearing. I was already seated in the VG when he came in, so we talked (sorta) from across the room. All I wanted was to say love you and see him one last time before he gets out.
I was supposed to speak but they have their mind made up before he even walks in the door. The hearing is just a formality.
Just go.

superdreamATM
09-29-2008, 10:08 AM
Trey told me i would not be able to say anything, but he wants me to be there so they will realize he IS a human being with people who love him. And we have not seen each other in 3 1/2 months (and won't be able to have visits til December 6) so he wants to be able to see me even for 15 minutes and give a wink and smile. I just wasn't sure IF they let you go to a time-setting hearing. I did go to the parole revocation hearing. I sat behind him (and looked at his butt ..hehe) and the only thing i said was "here is a copy of his medical records" when they asked about his 3 positive drugs on his urine test. I guess even if i go to the hearing i won't get to hug him real fast either will I?

heysmom
09-29-2008, 11:28 AM
You wont be able to talk to him or touch him but HE will know that you are there for him. That is the most important thing:thumbsup:

superdreamATM
10-01-2008, 08:04 AM
I am having my doubts if i want to go. It is a close to 2 hour drive. I will have to take a day off work. Sit there for 5 minutes for them to tell him what they are going to do. My understanding is that its not a "hearing" so much as the parole board jsut saying this is what we're giving you. My hesistancy to go is because he is SO unmotivated to really be a good law abiding person anyway. He started RDAP yesterday and what did he do? Found someone to make a drug deal with, wanting me to make calls for him. NO SIR. I don't know if i can continue to do this. I don't wnat him bringing me down.

Chantalley
10-03-2008, 08:04 PM
I am having my doubts if i want to go. It is a close to 2 hour drive. I will have to take a day off work. Sit there for 5 minutes for them to tell him what they are going to do. My understanding is that its not a "hearing" so much as the parole board jsut saying this is what we're giving you. My hesistancy to go is because he is SO unmotivated to really be a good law abiding person anyway. He started RDAP yesterday and what did he do? Found someone to make a drug deal with, wanting me to make calls for him. NO SIR. I don't know if i can continue to do this. I don't wnat him bringing me down.

I am so sorry you're dealing with all that. I'm so scared that my bf will be the same way. I don't think he thinks that he has a drug problem. I think that it will always be something that he struggles with, and therefore something I will struggle with as well.

:grouphug: You have to do what is best for YOU and your situation. We all have choices in this situation. I keep reminding T of that. I choose to be with him through this, but there might be a day when I choose not to.

superdreamATM
10-06-2008, 09:21 AM
Chantally i think about stuff the same you do.. i knew he had a drug problem when i met him. But i chose to fall in love anyway... he isn't a bad person. He told me Saturday that he realizes he MUST complete RDAP and get out of prison for his child and for me. I hope he keeps that momentum going...

superdreamATM
10-10-2008, 09:10 AM
Trey had his hearing yesterday and i didn't go after all (he was mad). Basically they just told him, finish your original sentence then start the new one. They said his RED date would be around 1 year 9 months from when he starts the sentence. So hopefully he will be home before Christmas 2010. OMG that sounds like such a long time!!!!!!

Odd Mushroom
10-10-2008, 10:15 AM
Yes 2010 sounds like a loooong time. According to FOIL, Chris's date is 10/8/10, but then I have to remember that he gets his credits monthly and that will bring it back to the spring.

Credits, credits, credits.:thumbsup:

Chantalley
10-10-2008, 09:15 PM
Trey had his hearing yesterday and i didn't go after all (he was mad). Basically they just told him, finish your original sentence then start the new one. They said his RED date would be around 1 year 9 months from when he starts the sentence. So hopefully he will be home before Christmas 2010. OMG that sounds like such a long time!!!!!!

:blah: That stinks. I'm so sorry. I agree with Odd Mushroom...hang in there for the credits. He'll also get credits for any kind of class he completes while he's in there, won't he? Like anger management, etc.

:grouphug:

superdreamATM
10-13-2008, 08:16 AM
The way they get credits and time is calculated totally confuses me.. but the good thing is, they get credit for all kinds of reasons I would have never thought about. Trey said he should be home in less than 2 years. I will take his word for it! Since he's in RDAP he will get "brownie points" for that. Also we are trying to get the county court clerk to fax over some stuff that will remove his detainer (S, now i know what you were talking about with Chris) and add 4 days good time per month. My god it's complicated!!!

heysmom
10-15-2008, 10:01 PM
Does anyone know anything about new sentencing guide lines, I heard that the state was going to begin sentencing using the Federal Guide Lines at 85%?

superdreamATM
10-16-2008, 09:02 AM
I have not heard anything about that. I did a little research and couldn't find it. I wish every state and the Feds would have consistent rules... it's so confusing!