View Full Version : Missouri Prison & Phone Companies

Cathykb
12-03-2003, 03:40 PM
I was just wondering what phone company your collect calls are coming from. Right now Honey is in county jail, and I have to pre-pay Evercom/Correctional Billing Services. It costs $3.01 per 15 minute call. I don't know what it will be like once he goes to Bonne Terre and then whichever prison they send him on to. Will I still use Evercom/CBS or do I need to set up an account with another company.
I work for a small local telephone company...so naturally I have my phone service through them. But we always tell our customers that they have to call the jail/prison and find out who handles their long distance, and then set up an account to receive the calls.
Do any of you know if Evercom/CBS will still handle the calls?
On average, how often do you talk to your loved ones and what do your phone bills run?

:cuffs:

chic-rock
12-03-2003, 05:24 PM
In my experiance Evercom does the county calls. My boyfriend is in Northeast Correctional Center in Bowling Green and they use MCI Worldcom. I never had to sign up or anything.

Emama
12-03-2003, 06:16 PM
My son is in MECC and they use MCI from there. You don't have to sign up. Inmates can make initial phone calls without any hassle. The biggest aggravation is MCI themselves. If they feel like your bill has gotten too high - they cut off all calls - without telling you. I have asked MCI not to do that - they said it is just their policy. They have even talked to my local phone company for a reference - I have had the same phone number for 20 years and am always current - but they don't care - they have stopped service arbitrarily 3 times in the past 6 months - each time me having to make a call to get service restored.
MCI has a monopoly on the phone system in Missouri prisons. There are some companies out there that use a calling card system or 3rd party number the inmate calls. I contacted one for a quote and with their activation fee and monthly minimum - I didn't see where it would save me much money.
My bill was $86 for October and that was for 6 calls. It costs a minimum of $3.17 for 1 minute. The calls are cheaper per minute the longer you talk. For instance a 20 minute phone call was 62 cents a minute; a 33 minute call was 57 cents a minute and a 48 minute phone call was 54 cents a minute.
I like to talk to my son at least once a week. If you will be talking more than that then maybe those other companies could help you.
Good Luck!

chic-rock
12-03-2003, 06:25 PM
Maybe the rates are not the same everywhere because with MCI I pay $1.00 for the first minute then $.14 for every one after that.

msveggie
12-03-2003, 06:44 PM
The state of Missouri correctional systems uses MCI for all calls. The county jails use various other companys.

Emma pays more since she is out of state. I believe the connection fee is something like $2.85 and around .30 a minute for out of state calls. Not exactly sure but it wouldn't be hard to find out.

You don't set up an account the state does that for them while in diagnostics. You just accept or reject the calls.

hslittlebit
12-03-2003, 08:11 PM
Well Fulton and Farmington uses Katamans and they charge $1.14 a mi. St.Charles Jail has Evercom they charges$1.50 a mi.and St. Louis County treatment center has MCI they charges $1.14 mi. too! Katamans is a pain in the butt!!!!!!

lilmonk
12-03-2003, 08:17 PM
My fiance was in Bonne Terre and they use MCI. It was a $1 connection fee plus .14 amin everytime he would call. Hope this helps.

Cathykb
12-04-2003, 05:52 AM
lilmonk!!! I'm so glad to hear that your baby was in the same place mine is going to. Well, I'm not glad that they're there, but I'm glad to find someone else who might be able to tell me a little bit about the place mine is headed. What was visitation like there? Were they very strict there? Please tell me anything!!! :)

msveggie
12-04-2003, 07:57 AM
Fulton is a diagnostic center just like WRDCC in St. Joe so for some reason they don't use the same protocol as the MO DOC.

My understanding is that part of Farmington is treatment center and not all of it is under the DOC. Actually ran by another entity other than the MO DOC. Don't really understand that but that's what I was told by someone here on PTO.

And of course the county jails are not state ran so they also are not under the MO DOC.

My understanding is that all MO DOC ran facilities use MCI. Any facilities not under their direct jurisdiction may use any other phone service they so choose to contract with. The two I've heard most about are Evercom and Katman

Dannysmom
12-16-2003, 07:07 PM
they have changed from world com to kataman phone service and I have never had to call them. You must work for a very small phone company. There is another phone system you can go through that is cheaper. Look on the thread it is there somewhere my calls are not that much to worry about it but they do cost about 2.95 a min. we live across the state line in Kansas and my son is in Missouri
Dannysmom

Dannysmom
12-17-2003, 01:09 PM
Okay ladies here is the info on the phone company. All I have read has been very goodwww.telenetinc.net
and the phone number is 1 888-925-7800. The man's name was John Chu and the research I've completed so far shows it to be a pretty good service and company. These are a couple of the testimonials and what caught my attention is the representation from states across the country. I received my quote by email and I will be paying approx. $3.25 for a 15 minute call instead of the 10.11 that I'm paying now. I will also be paying 18.00 a month for the land number and 4 to telenet. All in all I'll save hundreds of $$ a month! I'm definitly doing this and I'll continue updating everyone to share how it is going. I just wanted to share it with the members so you can decide if it will work for you! If there is anyone using this service please post and let us know!
I hope this helps.
dannysmom

Dannysmom
12-17-2003, 01:20 PM
Website isn't working I run my word and the site togeether. here is the website again www.telenetinc.net

msveggie
12-17-2003, 01:32 PM
I just signed up for remote call forwarding from the local area to my son's facility. It will cost me $16 a month. No one seems to know if my cell phone will be long distance to have it forwarded to it. There are no roaming charges when I go down there so I thought perhaps it won't be. My land line is barely out of the area by a matter of a few miles. So I am hoping that will take care of the matter. I'll find out soon enough.

If it doesn't work then I will call back on Monday and add a long distance carrier that will charge an additional $29.99 a month for unlimited long distance. Still will have to pay that $1.00 connection fee the prison phone system will call, but there should be no per minute charge after that. I'll let you all know how it turns out for us.

Cathykb
12-17-2003, 01:44 PM
Ok I'm all kinds of confused about this telenet business. First of all, I read this one thread and half the people couldn't get it to work for them for one reason or another. I'm way skeptical about it.
But I was thinking about something else. You can ask your local company about signing up for what is called a "telebranch." Basically it's a ghost number that gets forwarded to your home phone number, and that ghost number can be one in whatever city you need it in where your loved one is at. The only thing is you have to pay the long distance charge between the two.
It seems to me that you would be paying so much per month for the telebranch (with my company it's $16 or so), plus the per minute long distance charge for each minute you're on the phone with them, plus the $1 connect fee and whatever MCI or whoever would be charging per minute. I don't see how you'd get around that per minute charge, because you are still using that line, it's just forwarded to another place.
I'm so confused LOL

msveggie
12-17-2003, 02:31 PM
If you get a local phone line then you won't be charged the per minute charge since it will be a local call.

MCI collect call from prison ------ goes to local phone line
cost $1.00

Local phone line ----------- forwarded to another phone line

cost determined by you long distance provider

Once the call has gone to the local phone line MCI will detect that it is a local call and no per minute charges will be added. As far as MCI is concerned that is where the call was placed to and that's it for them. The calls will still be monitered by the system within the prison but it is a local call for all intended purposes for them.

Now let's say you live in the area and want to make a call to where you are now. You must choose a long distance carrier to make a long distance call. The same is true for your local phone line.

What if you had a cell phone in the local area of the facility the phone calls are being made to? Cell phones do not accept collect calls. However if the collect call is being accepted at the local line and forwarded to the cell phone then, there would be no additional charges. Get a plan with no roaming charges like a nation wide plan (they all have them) and then you should be able to answer the calls from him and it would only use your minutes allotted to your cell phone but no additional charge. Have them call on nights and weekends when most plans have unlimited calls and there you go. Affordable phone calls.

Cathykb
12-17-2003, 03:12 PM
Well holy crap! I didn't know that there'd be no per-minute cost to the local number. If I'm at my house and I call my mom collect next door to me, I would only get charged a connection fee? Is that how it works? Cool!

msveggie
12-17-2003, 04:00 PM
That's the way it works. Cool huh?