View Full Version : So Sad without my MOM!

cmm69
09-23-2008, 09:35 AM
My mom was recently sent to Bryan while waiting for an appeal. It has been a week now and we have yet to here a word from her. I was just like to know that she is okay. I am actually 7 hours away which seems like another planet. Is it supposed to take this long to get to make call home?

Zelda50
09-27-2008, 01:58 PM
She has to get a telephone list approved and, to write, has to get stamps from commissary - sometimes that takes some time. Does she have money on her commissary account so she can pay for the phone and stamps? Be patient. Sorry you're
feeling sad - it's a difficult time but post here anytime and you'll know you're not alone. Z.

e-spin
10-04-2008, 04:48 PM
Hey cmm69 i Know how you are feeling My Dad just got shipped off to TI, I Am 19 and now have to take care of and support my 12 year old sisters(twins). I am totally frightened and don't know what to do. Good Luck...

Zelda50
10-09-2008, 07:15 PM
First of all e-spin - your sisters are lucky to have you to help them out. That's a lot of responsibility for a 19-year-old, however, so I hope you have some people who can help support YOU in your efforts. Are you going to school or working? Are there any parents of your sisters friends with whom you can share your situation and just ask them to be there if you have questions or problems? You might go to this website: www.fcnetwork.org and they have a link to where you can see if there is a program in your area which provides mentors to children with incarcerated parents. The program they have started is called "Caregivers Choice." You can apply online or you can call this toll-free number: 877-333-CHOICE [877-333-2464]. You give information about your sisters' situation and they'll let you know if there is a mentor program available to them.
If there is one in your area, your sisters could be provided a mentor to do some activities with them and help you all out.

I'm sure it's frightening for you but I'm also sure your dad would not have trusted you with your sisters if he didn't think you have the strength and skills to do so. Hopefully you and your sisters can pull together in a positive way. PM me anytime here if you have questions or just need to vent. I have a 19-year-old son myself. Zelda

Zelda50
10-09-2008, 07:22 PM
Here's something that might be a helpful idea:

Eight volunteers from the San Diego County Foster Grandparent
Program will provided
mentoring, tutoring, and nurturing support for 200 youth who are juvenile
offenders or in foster care, with emphasis on youth who have parents in
prison and/or an intergenerational history with the criminal justice system.
Contact: Sharin Gavette (619) 231-2828 or sgavette@ccdsd.org

FriscoLady
10-13-2008, 03:15 PM
Zelda you are wonderful!

Patti

IHAVEFAITH
11-13-2008, 07:54 PM
My mom just left last week. When I read your title I thought..............she is just like me. I cannot wait until she comes home. We are in the same boat. Just stay positive and stay encouraged. You can do this. Well, we can do this.