View Full Version : Rush city Lockdown

CET
11-29-2003, 10:06 PM
I saw this on the 10Pm wcco news tonight, Saturday. It said there was a disturbance on wed with about 7 inmates stopping up toilets til they overflowed. Then today, 30 inmates returning from recreation started some kind of trouble. They were Somalians, and evidently the ones starting a "disturbance" Wed were also Somalian complaining about various issues. I don't know what the issues were.
It said there were ambulances coming and going. Tuesday was Eid and I'm guessing that added to feelings.

Daviewmaster
11-30-2003, 07:43 AM
Keep us updated if you hear anything else. For everyone with loved ones at Rush City, I hope everyone is A-Okay...let us know.

CET
12-01-2003, 06:27 PM
http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/news/local/7383766.htm

Sloppie
12-27-2003, 09:46 PM
I can tell you that what happened involving the Rush City prison on 11/29/03 did NOT involve Somalis.
The inmates that were involved were Native Americans, Hispanics, a couple white guys and black guys.
$30,000 damage to the prison.
The detainees, contrary to the wardens belief, did not just plug up their toilets. They were throwing feces, urine all over including their cells and the cell halls that they lived in.
For once it would be nice to see people get their facts straight before writting an article in a paper or making comments to the broadcast media.

CET
12-27-2003, 11:30 PM
There was a piece on the news on a following evening with Somali leaders discussing going to the prison to discuss the problems. Where there several problems going on? I thought that the Somalis were protesting something about food?

Sloppie
12-27-2003, 11:53 PM
The Somalis, and the rest of the detainees, were upset because they felt as though they were being ignored etc by the BICE [reincarnated INS] officials in Minneapolis.
They are under far more pressure than the state inmates because they do not know if they are going home today, tomorrow, this month or in three years or six years.
They were also under the impression that because they are detainees, they should be treated entirely different than anyone else housed there-different rules, schedules etc. They were told matter of factly that that would never happen because the state inmates wouldn't stand for it nor would staff.

CET
12-28-2003, 01:48 PM
Sloppie, do you work at the prison?

Daviewmaster
12-28-2003, 10:10 PM
What is the status of everything NOW? Does anyone have any recent information? I am SO glad my husband was transferred out of there before all of this happened! (insert huge sigh of relief here...)

Sloppie
12-28-2003, 11:13 PM
The unit that 'went off' was locked down for an extended period of time till repairs could be made and those involved were IDed and shipped out to appropriate facilities, i.e SCL, STW and OPH.
Noone was injured, no force was needed to end the situation so it all worked out in the end.