View Full Version : How do I find out if he has a detainer?

BrandyStewart
08-22-2008, 01:18 PM
So Hi everybody I am new to this so sorry if I should have found somewhere else to put this. Okay so he finally called me today and it was a short coversantion since I haven't had any contact with him in almost 2 months now and he said that where we used to live might have a detainer on him. He was on probation in Pa before we moved back to Ohio. And now he is doing this number can they transport for misdomeaner probation violation and will they its already long enough, I am so confused and don't even know where to start looking. Help?! -if there is any
Brandy

UncagedHART
08-23-2008, 09:03 PM
my fiance just got out of jail a week ago and when he was in there i had a similar question. he was in jail for a charge in one county, but on probation in another county. getting a new charge was a violation of his probation, but he had no way to know if he was violated because he was sitting in jail. you can try to call his probation officer in the state you used to live in...sometimes they are willing to talk to you. i've had pleasant conversations with a probation officer a couple of different times.

if he's supposed to be reporting to his probation officer and he doesn't show then that is a definite violation. you'd be better off calling the PO and letting them know why he isn't showing...paying his monthly fine wouldn't hurt either.

anyway, i posted the question "how do you know if you have a hold (detainer) from another county (in your case..state) if you are in jail? will they tell you that you have one, or will they inform you they are going to hold you on the day you are due to be released?" i posted the question on a site where lawyers answer your questions. they told me that typically if you are in jail then someone in the jail will give you a piece of paper informing you that you are being held. then, you will have an arraignment so the judge can explain to you why you're being held.

BrandyStewart
08-24-2008, 01:54 PM
Thank you I guess I should call, he hasn't reported and this is a new charge that he is currently down for so thank you for your info it is very important.

tinkerbell716
08-24-2008, 02:50 PM
On the Florida DOC website, it indicates whether they have a detainer right on their information page. Have you checked there?

UncagedHART
08-24-2008, 09:44 PM
On the Florida DOC website, it indicates whether they have a detainer right on their information page. Have you checked there?

that's true, but a lot of times it takes forever for it to be posted. plus, if he hasn't reported to his PO in the other state the PO may not violate him if his gf calls and lets him/her know that he is in jail. this just happened to my fiance. his sister went to his PO and let him know that he was in jail and WHY he was in jail and his PO didn't violate him. but he said if he missed his august appointment (without him knowing why) he was going to put a warrant out for his arrest for missing the appointment. in other words, since the PO was contacted and filled in on the situation it saved him from getting a violation of probation. if nobody would've said anything he would've been detained and would still be sitting in jail for missing his probation meeting.