View Full Version : Does rape in prison occur as often as people say?

Albee Damned
08-14-2008, 04:26 PM
Every reference to prison in movies and on TV seems to include something about rape. Also, when I was a teenager I heard that this guy about 10 years older than me went to prison and got raped his first night there.:(

SGT Anonymous
08-14-2008, 05:21 PM
In my decade+ of working for CDC I have only seen one true rape. I have seen several inmates claim rape and then take it back later. They turned out to be "lover's fights".

People will say that it just never gets reported but I have asked inmates about it before and they have all said that it doesn't happen like it does in the movies. I suppose they could be wrong/lying but that is my take on it.

sidewalker
08-14-2008, 08:01 PM
thank you sgt. I hope they are telling the truth and it is a rare occurrence.

kima
08-14-2008, 08:17 PM
My husband and I were just talking about this the other day. He said that in his 25 years of doing time (in both CA and NV) he's never witnessed it or even heard complaint of it. There is, however, a good deal of sex going on out in the open right in the yard (especially at Mule Creek...which is what led to this discussion in the first place). I think it's more common in a woman's prison, and it's especially bad in Texas. There was a report done by the Human Rights Watch on male rapes in prison Here's a link:
http://www.hrw.org/reports/2001/prison/report.html

Here's another good link:
http://www.spr.org/

desertmoonwoman
08-14-2008, 09:24 PM
This is my take, and I wish I had the links. I am a Health Promotion Major and Reproductive Health Educator. When I was researching transmission of HIV/AIDS I ran across statistics for prison transmissions of HIV/AIDS. Some of the numbers will be needle use.

Part 2 Domestic violence where men are the victims are rarely reported. Recently the hazing incidents with the high schools are just beginning to emerge.

My conclusion is that when rapes do occur they are unreported. You could send in teams of interviewers, anonymous questionnaires and I do not think you will ever get close to the truth. I could be completely wrong.... DMW

Imani
08-15-2008, 08:25 AM
My conclusion is that when rapes do occur they are unreported. You could send in teams of interviewers, anonymous questionnaires and I do not think you will ever get close to the truth. I could be completely wrong

True
I think that a rape happens more then people let on? What man would admit they have been raped or had sex through intimation with another man? Not many. This is one prison story that a man will never tell once he gets home.

Albee Damned
08-18-2008, 11:09 AM
I've read about the subject and from what I can tell is that usually the "rapes" occur by one inmate scaring another and getting him to submit to it "voluntarily". This makes the rapist feel even more powerful.:blah:

Also, I guess there are plenty of homosexuals that will give sex freely so if someone wants sexual gratification, it is readily available without the need for rape.

PTO-79211
08-18-2008, 12:14 PM
That is true...but I have also heard it being an act of discipline...depending of course on the situation.

I've read about the subject and from what I can tell is that usually the "rapes" occur by one inmate scaring another and getting him to submit to it "voluntarily". This makes the rapist feel even more powerful.:blah:

Also, I guess there are plenty of homosexuals that will give sex freely so if someone wants sexual gratification, it is readily available without the need for rape.

California Sunshine
08-18-2008, 02:23 PM
IMO and from what I have heard from friends in a few different CA prisons NO it is NOT as common as it appears to be.One who has been in the system 13 plus years said throughout all the various CA prisons he has been in he has NEVER seen nor heard of a rape of course that does not mean he knows all that goes on in every facility,just telling you what I have heard from my pals inside.

LovemakesLight
08-18-2008, 02:56 PM
True
I think that a rape happens more then people let on? What man would admit they have been raped or had sex through intimation with another man? Not many. This is one prison story that a man will never tell once he gets home.

I agree with you, Imani.

I think its important to remember that rape is about power, not sex. The perpetrator is trying to exert power and dominance over the victim.

Also, it's one of the least talked about/addressed traumas outside of prison, and inside those walls is no different.

Imani
08-20-2008, 12:56 PM
True,again what man would tell? None,or not many.

superdreamATM
08-27-2008, 01:56 PM
I get worried about my husband being in prison and the possibility of rape (or even voluntary sex). he jokes about "I tape your picture to my cellie's back before I do him", and i tell him that is NOT FUNNY DON'T EVEN JOKE! So i get scared and worry how much same-sex stuff goes in REALLY????

13lazyboy
08-29-2008, 12:20 PM
I get worried about my husband being in prison and the possibility of rape (or even voluntary sex). he jokes about "I tape your picture to my cellie's back before I do him", and i tell him that is NOT FUNNY DON'T EVEN JOKE! So i get scared and worry how much same-sex stuff goes in REALLY????

Ooh I am glad my husband never joked around like that. Cause that would worry me too.

sadgirlnsnaps
08-29-2008, 12:36 PM
my babe would never even joke around like that NEVER and i'm sure it will never cross he's mind =) so i never think about what if he gets rape in there cause i know that if another inmate would even think about rapeing my man that he will try to kill him cause he don't play those games

sadgirlnsnaps
08-29-2008, 12:38 PM
you know what most of the times the inmates don't get raped it's more like there having sex with another inmate but i won't lie it does happen but not as much like in the movies

forever_ever_baby
08-29-2008, 01:00 PM
were i am from it happens alot more than anyone knows but who knows if the inmates are calling it rap or if it just sex

PTO-110524
08-30-2008, 11:42 AM
My husband says he's never seen a rape and has only heard of one, but he sees inmates having sex all the time - consentually that is (not Mule Creek, btw). Right out in plain view, which makes me wonder why staff allows it.

Apparently there is a lot of sex on SNY - I assume because most gay inmates PC up and go SNY.

There are two 'partners' who are celled together 2 cells down the tier from my husband and it pisses him off that they are allowed to cell together as a gay couple.

I kinda see his point. We can't have sex because he's a 3 strike lifer, but these 2 male lovers basically live together.