View Full Version : Housing for parolees/those released from prison?

mrschris
08-10-2008, 06:26 PM
ok. now, before everyone comes chomping down about how this does NOT exist...i am almost certain it does. it may be hush hush, but it exists.

and i am trying to find more information about it.

first off, i worked for the welfare agency for my county for about a year and a half...and i have seen UPTEEN inmates seeking housing assitance...they were referred there...by who, what...i don't know. but i know i have seen with my own two eyes men and women recently released from jail/prison seeking housing, and coming back with required paperwork for help.

now. the kicker.

my friend's man is due to be released in janurary of this year. she lives with her parents, he is basically homeless. she is trying to get an apartment, but that has not been promised her. if she cannot find them suitable housing for parole...he will be homeless.

she called me up last week while i was on my way to visit my hubby, and she told me that he was told, if he cannot find housing within three months (he was approved for parole last month), then he will be placed into a shelter for 6-18 months (she's fuzzy about that--says she will find out for sure), and then he will recieve housing help to find an apartment.

so. i know i am not losing my mind, and this is not a figment of my imagination. my friend of 3 years called me up telling me that her man will recieve housing help if he is housed in a shelter because of imminent homelessness. she says she will update me more about this, but that as far as she knows he is to recieve a rental assitance voucher to help him afford rent (sounds like section 8 to me).

i am about to call her again, just to check and see what's going on.

if anyone has any information to add, please share.

mrschris
08-10-2008, 06:41 PM
ok. an update.

her man said that he was told by parole that they are starting to allow inmates to be paroled to those homes that are paid for by housing assitance and section 8...they are starting to allow inmates to live in housing.

egs
08-10-2008, 07:34 PM
I cannot tell you how many men and women get paroled to shelters but it is a large number!!! Then there is surprise when one violates their parole!!! Haven't heard a lot about the "new housing" rules but I will see some people from the Community Division of NJ Parole this week and I will ask them what is going on!!!

mrschris
08-10-2008, 08:08 PM
yup. she JUST spoke to me...not even 45 minutes ago.

said that in 3 weeks, parole is going to his mother's house to inspect...this is the same house that parole denied last month because it is housing.

now they have approved it and are going to investigate.

his mother lives in housing for seniors...her rent is regulated and paid partially by the state.

so she is a little more appeased now...she's saying that he won't be homeless after all, and a shelter isn't an option for them *thus far*.

that's good news.

find out all you can egs, i am searching on this end...it's REALLY fuzzy...but i KNOW for a FACT that inmates are getting housing. they aren't telling us something--but like i said--i KNOW i'm not dreaming this up!? i distinctly remember seeing ex inmates (i knew they were ex inmates because after working with welfare for a few years and seeing the guys in prison--(they have the "look"--often very muscular and sometimes a little shy, taken aback by all the "newness" around them)--i know it is these ex prisoners who are requesting help.

and between us--it was also told to me by a good friend who is a supervisor at welfare around here, that while she doesn't know the details, she knows that inmates have been referred to them by the heap and bound to get varous welfare help, and they are approving the cases *shh*.

egs
08-11-2008, 06:14 PM
When my ex-man got out of prison in NJ [2001] and reported to his PO on day one, he asked him how he could get an out-of-state pass so he could go to work in Phila. every day [where his job was located; he was also waiting for interstate compact to come thru]. The PO told him it would take a while so he should go to the Welfare office and get enrolled!!! Ex-man could not believe it - "I have a job; I don't want to go on welfare." The PO just shrugged. Ex-man never did go on welfare and got a weekly work pass about 1 week later!!! In other words...this is done ALL the time and has been going on for quite a while.
Public housing for those w/a drug conviction varies from state to state [there is more federal $$ for housing for those states who won't allow convicted drug offenders live in public housing]. Some states have waived this regulation [and therefore, get less federal dollars]; last I remember NJ was one of the states who did not allow drug offenders in public housing...perhaps they changed their mind!

jasonzwifey2011
08-11-2008, 06:16 PM
Thank you EGS and MrsChris for your research efforts. Keeping us informed helps us so much when we are all floundering around for information. God Bless you!!

mrschris
08-11-2008, 06:46 PM
When my ex-man got out of prison in NJ [2001] and reported to his PO on day one, he asked him how he could get an out-of-state pass so he could go to work in Phila. every day [where his job was located; he was also waiting for interstate compact to come thru]. The PO told him it would take a while so he should go to the Welfare office and get enrolled!!! Ex-man could not believe it - "I have a job; I don't want to go on welfare." The PO just shrugged. Ex-man never did go on welfare and got a weekly work pass about 1 week later!!! In other words...this is done ALL the time and has been going on for quite a while.
Public housing for those w/a drug conviction varies from state to state [there is more federal $$ for housing for those states who won't allow convicted drug offenders live in public housing]. Some states have waived this regulation [and therefore, get less federal dollars]; last I remember NJ was one of the states who did not allow drug offenders in public housing...perhaps they changed their mind!

perhaps! i think it's because there are SO many offenders with NO help and NOWHERE to go, that they are being FORCED to do something (not out of the goodness of their hearts).

my friends final update for last night was that her man was told by parole that he would qualify for housing within "a few months" if he could not find decent housing on his own, and that his mother's house has a parole inspection coming up, and that is housing.

she said that she does not know if the inmates are recieving section 8, HUD, etc...specifically...but that they are recieving help.

mrschris
08-11-2008, 07:39 PM
Thank you EGS and MrsChris for your research efforts. Keeping us informed helps us so much when we are all floundering around for information. God Bless you!!

no problem! i'm trying to help everyone out--including myself!

Rebecca1989
08-13-2008, 10:14 PM
My husband has been going on about how his social worker at the prison said to go to welfare for housing assistance. etc..... I dont know if that answers your question, any of them, but thats all the information, that I know.

mrschris
08-14-2008, 10:19 PM
that helps. so then it's basically understood that yes, inmates do qualify for housing assistance and are able to move into homes with loved ones who recieve housing help.

it's about time.

jblovesdb
08-15-2008, 11:18 PM
Yes, I remember reading somewhere on the computer about recently released inmates being about to receive assistance (of some sort). And hubby was telling me a few months ago about how some dude in there with him (who's been in and out of prison) went to the Welfare office upon being released last time and got assistance...food stamps, general and housing assistance. I don't know if it's Rental Assistance, b/c in my county...there's a waiting list that's a MILE long for that. But then again, who knows if they would get bumped up to the top.
Thanks for trying to figure this out MrsChris. I know it will help many (myself included) if it is true. If you do find anything out, promise to let us know how it works;) Not that I'm trying to use the state to my benefit...but whenever hubby does get out...we can't live here at my mothers...so we're gonna need to figure out something. Hugs:p
-Jackie

mrschris
08-17-2008, 11:36 PM
there's nothing wrong with using the state to make your life better--that's what they do to us--use us to make their lives better. and if there is a program that you or your inmate qualifies for--take it.

i would take housing in an instant if it was stable and gave us a decent roof over our head. i would not want my husband living in a shelter while i am stuck at a family member's house.

i wonder if inmates who are qualified for housing able to bring their families to live with them? that would give many an inmate much needed encouragement to fly right--because they were able to find suitable and stable housing for not only themselves--but their families.

jblovesdb
08-20-2008, 11:21 AM
I don't know...I really would hope that if they did qualify for assistance, and in our case, I work a low paying job...they would allow me, my husband and our son to all live in the same place. B/C otherwise hubby wouldn't do it...and then he'd start going back to things he shouldn't be doing. I also know that after they get out of prison...they can go over to the welfare office or one stop career place...and they will help them with employment and if they need training to get that job, they will assist them with that too. I don't know if that helps in your situation...but I know a few people who got out, went over there and they helped them get jobs that pay decent money (like truck driving, etc). Good luck with everything. Hugs:p
-Jackie

And I really have no problem using the state to my advantage...I was basically trying to "put it lightly". But it's not like I really have money anyway. I work a minimum wage job, I have a son, I live with family at the moment (and can't wait to get out, I'm greatful that they help me...but I need my space, ya know?). It just irks me when you see people who drive Hummers and have nice things and then they use a food stamp card to pay for their food (I work as a cashier)...how does that one work???

ForMyBoy
08-20-2008, 11:53 AM
Jackie-have you tried to apply for assistance right now even thro you live with family? You do have a child, perhaps you could qualify for something on his behalf, at least for the time being.
Every little bit helps.

mrschris
08-20-2008, 11:57 AM
jackie,

driving a hummer with foodstamps works one of two ways: someone is doing something illegal, or the government is allowing it through programs for the rich (they qualify too because money chases money). there's nothing worse than seeing a pregnant chick using wic vouchers to pay for milk and then getting into her husband's brand new 80,000 bmw. but, it's the norm for them.

jblovesdb
08-20-2008, 12:17 PM
Yea, but let me tell you, it gets under my skin like no other. Probably b/c I'm jelous:rolleyes: Like, if they can get away with it...why the F can't I??? When hubby got released last time...we moved to GA with his sister, when we came back to NJ...we went to welfare and they gave us $90 a MONTH for G/A...what the F was that suppose to pay for?? They wouldn't even give us food stamps. When I was prego...I was on WIC...but ish, we needed it, I was unemployed and hubby who usually does landscaping wasn't working b/c it was winter. So I just wanna know how the heck they get away with it? Is it illegal activity...I wouldn't doubt it...but da*n. Don't floss your sh** if your gonna come in and pay with food stamps...b/c there's people who actually need it that work for what they got...but "make too much" to recieve it:blah: So what...should I get fired...and collect unemployment and get assistance?????

jblovesdb
08-20-2008, 12:19 PM
For My Boy...no, I haven't gone over there recently. It's not that big of a deal at the moment...b/c I do live with family, so bills are basically covered...and when it comes to diapers and all, I got that covered with what I make. But I'm just lookin' at the future (ya know, WHENEVER they decided to let hubby out)...b/c then we won't be able to stay here...and I'm pretty sure I won't be makin' the money needed by then:shrug: So it just frustrates me.

ricksbabe
08-20-2008, 12:37 PM
i am positive that they receive assistance from welfare b/c this was told to my babe before he came home by the facilty parole officer as for housing, thats something that ive never heard of. they do qualify for programs like the rental assitance program (RAP).

jblovesdb
08-20-2008, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the info ricksbabe. I was pretty sure that they recieved assistance from welfare...but not positive. I guess we'll be hitting the welfare office after he gets the he** outta there. Hugs:p
-Jackie

jasonzwifey2011
08-21-2008, 11:45 AM
jackie,

driving a hummer with foodstamps works one of two ways: someone is doing something illegal, or the government is allowing it through programs for the rich (they qualify too because money chases money). there's nothing worse than seeing a pregnant chick using wic vouchers to pay for milk and then getting into her husband's brand new 80,000 bmw. but, it's the norm for them.

Girl u ain't said nuthin!!! Oh that irks me when I'm barely making ends meet and sometimes we DON'T have milk for cereal cuz w/ 2 kids I make WAAAy more that their requirements here in MD. W/ 1 child you can't make over 19,000 to get wic. Hell even if I had 5 kids I couldn't get it. They don't count your take home. That sucks. I think families who work hard and are really trying to make it should be the ones getting assistance.. not the ones who just sit around and make babies to get more assistance... they should reward the families who are working min. wage jobs, going to school, etc... I've written letters on several occasions to our government about this but to no avail.. LOL But I'll always keep trying!!

jblovesdb
08-21-2008, 12:21 PM
http://www.lsnjlaw.org/english/crime/peopleleavingprison/reentryhousing/index.cfm

Housing and Reentry: Finding a Place to Live After Conviction for a Drug Crime

The most immediate problem a person has when released from a correctional facility is finding a place to live. Finding affordable housing is a problem for a lot of people in New Jersey. This problem is made worse for people and their family members if they are returning to society after a conviction for a drug crime.
Public Housing
Generally, if you are convicted of a drug crime, you are barred from returning to public housing by public housing authorities (PHAs). This often means that you cannot return to the support system of a caring family.
If you have been incarcerated for a drug-related activity or other criminal behavior and you stay with your family while they live in public housing, the whole family may be evicted. The “one-strike” policy eliminates one option for you or your family to find shelter.
There are several reasons why people who have felony convictions are not allowed to return to public housing, including the safety of the other residents. Unfortunately, proof of rehabilitation is not a reason to allow you or your family to stay in public housing. The United States Supreme Court held that the one-strike policy was legal in a 2002 case called HUD v. Rucker.
The PHA does have to give you and your family proper notice if they are going to evict you based on the one-strike policy.
You must receive notice in a reasonable amount of time, no longer than 30 days. The notice must include the reason for the eviction. It must also tell you that you have the right to inspect the documents that the PHA is using to evict you.
The notice must also state that you do not have the right to a PHA administrative grievance hearing. You must also be told the judicial procedure that will be used to evict you. In addition to informing you about the judicial hearing, the notice should also state that HUD recognizes that you will receive your right to due process in this type of hearing.* (http://www.lsnjlaw.org/english/crime/peopleleavingprison/reentryhousing/index.cfm#charge) If your notice is missing any of these elements, you should ask for your case to be dismissed.
PHAs do not, however, have to evict you or your family because of criminal activity. Former Department of Housing and Urban Development Secretary Mel Martinez wrote a letter in 2002 stating that public housing authorities should be “guided by compassion and common sense” when considering evicting a family because of a violation of the one-strike policy.
This compassion should be extended to people who have served their time in prison who can show evidence of rehabilitation. The PHAs should show this compassion even if the first threat of eviction under the one-strike policy comes from activity by the person returning home from prison.
Agencies that provide Section 8 vouchers are not required to terminate a voucher to a family who allows an ex-offender to live in the residence. They are also not required to deny a voucher to you if you are returning to society.
In practice, it is not likely that PHAs will show the compassion former Secretary Martinez recommended. But it is worthwhile to try to negotiate with the PHA to maintain housing for you and your family. You may want to speak with a Legal Services attorney to see if they have information about your city’s PHA plan and the priorities in that plan.
Privately Owned Housing
Under the Anti-Eviction Act, if you were charged with or convicted of a crime in privately leased premises, you may be evicted and not allowed to return once you are released. There are limits to this clause. You may not be evicted for past drug-related or criminal activity more than two years after the adjudication, conviction, or release from prison.
Unfortunately, this does not help you with an immediate housing need. A defense against being evicted under this ground of the Anti-Eviction Act is admission to or completion of a drug rehabilitation program. Once again, this is an opportunity to negotiate with the landlord.
If you are on parole, there are a few options for transitional housing. For example, the New Jersey State Parole Board’s Office of Community Programs provides some housing for parolees who have substance abuse issues.
There are also private transitional housing units. There are not many of these units in the state, and they can be difficult to locate, but they do exist. You may find help at the Web site of NJSuccess (http://www.njsuccess.org/). The site has a database of community resources for people leaving prison. You can find resources for the Newark area at Newark Success (http://www.njsuccess.org/?geo=5&topic=0&id=0).

jblovesdb
08-21-2008, 12:23 PM
http://www.njsuccess.org/

ForMyBoy
08-21-2008, 01:56 PM
Glad I own my home that my son can return to cause I didn't understand a word of that.
Will that help you, Jackie?

jblovesdb
08-21-2008, 02:39 PM
LOL...no, it just makes it worse:( B/C hubby's got a drug charge...and I have a vharge for "loitering in a drug zone". So that doesn't help. And the second one I posted has a lot of useful information...but not soo much that pertains to Sussex County. But if you search threw there, they bring you to all the different sites and stuff.