View Full Version : New visitation rules at TDC

katydidsbro
07-15-2008, 11:44 AM
I couldn't find this anywhere else on here so, sorry if I'm repeating.

TDC has new visitation rules:

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/announcements/announcement-offender-visitors.html

NOTICE TO VISITORS
CONCERNING
VISITATION CHANGES

On Friday, July 18, 2008, TDCJ will implement a new visitor check in system.

All Adult visitors will be asked to provide identification prior to entering the visitation area. Visitor Identification for visitors 18 years of age and older is a pictured and signed identification (ID) of one (1) of the following: (1) valid state drivers’ license; (2) valid state Department of Public Safety (DPS) ID card; (3) valid Armed Forces ID card; (4) passport; or (5) ID card issued by the United States Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS) (i.e., Visa Border Crossing ID Card).

Children 17 years of age and younger may be required to provide an ID (e.g., birth certificate, DPS ID or student ID) if the child’s age is questionable due to physical maturity of the child. Valid student ID shall be used only for children 17 years old and younger.

You must have the original form of identification with you upon check-in. You will also need to provide your address, telephone number, date of birth, and vehicle information. An Approved Visitor Information Form will be available in visitation areas so that visitors may provide the required information before the new system is implemented. The form can be returned on your next visit, or be mailed to the unit Records Office.

An offender convicted and sentenced for current or prior crimes involving sexual offenses against children or offenses causing bodily injury to a child (child victim was under the age of 17) is restricted from having contact visits with children under the age of 17. The offender may have a general visit with a child under the age of 17 only if the offender is the legally recognized parent (biological/adoptive) of the child and the child was not the victim of the offense. Before the visit can occur, the legal guardian must complete the Child Victim Restriction Affidavit attesting that the offender is the legally recognized parent of the child and that the child was not the victim of any offense for which the offender has been convicted or placed on deferred adjudication. After September 1, 2008 children will not be permitted to visit an offender who is restricted from having contact visits with children under the age of 17 until the affidavit is completed. Forms will be available in visitation areas.

Thank you.

TXGURL
07-15-2008, 03:24 PM
I just called the Stiles Unit about getting this form and was I told I can come to the Unit and pick one up. LOL I live over 300 miles away! Mrs Curtis said I had till Sept to fill the form out.. So I'm assuming (dangerous I know!) that it will not affect my visit until then. I sure as h*ll dont want to drive over 5 hrs to see him and get turned down because of this new freaking form.
Anyone else know how we may get these forms? My inmate is in ad-seg so I dont know if it would be easy for him to get me one to mail me. Any suggestions??
Thanks!

TXGURL
07-15-2008, 03:25 PM
Oh silly me! I see that the form is attached to the link that katy posted!!!

Thank you!

It's All New
08-13-2008, 03:26 PM
Oh silly me! I see that the form is attached to the link that katy posted!!!

Thank you!

We all have our moments once in a while...:D

rg'sgirl
08-13-2008, 07:37 PM
I am going to visit my guy at Price Daniel Aug. 23 and I called the prison and gave them all my info and the lady there told me it was all i needed to do. So who knows. I asked about the new form, but she acted like she had everything in her computer that she needed for my visit. I guess i will find out when i get there. Also i am putting in a request to the warden for a contact visit since i am only the girl friend!

TXLAXDAD
08-21-2008, 11:41 AM
Forgive me if someone posted this already, but the finally put the new handbook with th new dress code included on the TDCJ website last week. Again I am sorry if someone already posted it, I have been away for a few weeks and trying to play catch up.

ReggiesLady
08-21-2008, 03:30 PM
Thanks TXLAX! Did anyone notice the wait time for contact is no longer 90 days? It's now only 60 days. That's a good thing for those coming in!

Dillon's Wife
08-21-2008, 06:09 PM
And what about the split visits? Those are gonna be a huge blessing, I'm just betting!

http://dv.daisypath.com/88Tmm5/.png (http://daisypath.com)

ReggiesLady
08-21-2008, 08:04 PM
Sure are!!

gentle
08-21-2008, 08:07 PM
Okay, I went to visit boo this past weekend, (drove 6 hours) and was told because my address didn't match my ID, I couldn't visit! :angry:They let our daughter and his brother in, but not me! I was so upset...I wanted to cry. I ended up talking to several supervisors and sgnt's all who of course were unsympathetic. One of them told me the change (of address in their system) could take 3-4 weeks, another told me 6-8 months! Finally, I met with the warden and he let me visit the following day-with a warning to have him update his visitor's list.

Word to the wise...make sure your paperwork is straight because they were turning people around left and right!

ReggiesLady
08-21-2008, 08:45 PM
Good advice. I've heard of it being done more lately than ever before because of the new system. If anyone needs the paperwork it's in a "sticky" in the visitation forum. Make sure you get it mailed off if you haven't already so it doesn't delay your next visit.

mia_101
08-26-2008, 01:09 AM
I finally got on the visitation list for my inmate - I'm a little lost in this thread. I'm worried it's something I need to understand!

katydidsbro
08-26-2008, 01:37 AM
Mia -

If you will look at post #6 in this thread, above, TXLAXDAD posted the link for the most current version of the TDC Visitation Handbook. Just click on the link and you should be able to read the whole thing. It will list all of the general rules for visitations at all units.

Kay

mia_101
08-26-2008, 02:49 PM
Mia -

If you will look at post #6 in this thread, above, TXLAXDAD posted the link for the most current version of the TDC Visitation Handbook. Just click on the link and you should be able to read the whole thing. It will list all of the general rules for visitations at all units.

Kay

Thanks!:)

I can't wait to go, and I don't want to mess it up.

britecloud
08-26-2008, 02:55 PM
Thanks!:)

I can't wait to go, and I don't want to mess it up.

You won't :)

Have a great time and enjoy your time together!

jerricox
09-19-2008, 02:39 PM
What if I haven't went to visit before the new rules came in to effect, and did not do the necessary new update paperwork? Will they not let me visit? Also, can anyone tell me what I have to do to get the paperwork to print for me off the TDC website. Can I just take the form with me to visit?

TXLAXDAD
09-19-2008, 03:08 PM
They will have you fill it out there when you go.

vhisgood
09-28-2008, 07:17 AM
The forms after completed were do we mail them? Is it chief of Classfication? where the immate is located.

katydidsbro
09-28-2008, 07:22 AM
You don't have to mail them in, you can just give them to the guard when you sign in.

Kay

Russell's Mom
11-29-2008, 09:08 AM
Can someone on Felony probation visit and inmate? If so can they have a contact visit? Are there any special rules for visits if you are a felon?
Thank you for your time

rvlm
11-29-2008, 01:14 PM
Someone on probation or parole must have a letter from their probation or parole officer giving them permission to visit someone in a prison. It will have to be shown at the first visit and in some cases every visit.

Johnston90
02-24-2009, 02:55 PM
I'm hoping you can help me. I am going to be traveling over 300 miles to see my pen pal but wondered about these special visits. Some of this stuff reads like stereo instructions! Anyway, its my understanding that I can get 2-4 hour visits or 1-8 hour visit - right? What is this business about "such visits may be scheduled during the week by special arrangement" - are visits normally on the weekends? I'm very new at this but if anyone could help I would appreciate it very much. I've also been looking at hotels - even if you can direct me if someone has already answered these questions I would be greatful. I'm planning on leaving the last week in April. Thanks in advance!

KennyKamm
02-24-2009, 03:29 PM
This link to the TDCJ Offender Rules and Regulations for Visitation (http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/publications/cid/Offender%20Rules%20and%20Reg%20%288-13-08%29.pdf)
should tell you all you need to know. If you need more answers
just ask.

WifejailedinAZ
02-24-2009, 04:39 PM
Ok, I travel a lot further than 300 miles to see my wife, and what I have discovered since this is her second unit is the irregularity and misinterpretation of the TDCJ rules by the units.

It can be either, or it can be 2 & 2. No point in waiting to find out while there on Saturday because the Warden wont be there too correct it.... so, you do not want to be there for 8 hours straight no matter what, 4 and 4 works out very well.

Number 1, the best thing you can do, and you must do, is call the unit first, tell them you want to setup a special visit, they will ask you for the TDCJ number and also where you are coming from, once they know it's more than 300 miles they tell you if he/she is eligible for that date. You have to call The week before. You have to follow up that call with another call the week of the visit, in most cases it's on Mondays.

You also want to ask them to specify if it is 2 & 2 or 4 & 4 as I found out since my wife was moved to a non TDCJ unit that rents space. While she was at Plane, all I did was request a special visit and it was 4&4, at Bowie they call that an Extended special Visit, which since I did not know that, and did not specifically ask for it, I made my trip from Phoenix to Texarkana and ended up only being able to see my wife for 2 hours each day. Make sure you write down the person's name that you speak too, and the Warden's name for the unit.

When you call back, clarify AGAIN that it is 4 & 4.

Hope this helps, remember when dealing with the TDCJ it never hurts to be EXTRA thorough.

:thumbsup:

I'm hoping you can help me. I am going to be traveling over 300 miles to see my pen pal but wondered about these special visits. Some of this stuff reads like stereo instructions! Anyway, its my understanding that I can get 2-4 hour visits or 1-8 hour visit - right? What is this business about "such visits may be scheduled during the week by special arrangement" - are visits normally on the weekends? I'm very new at this but if anyone could help I would appreciate it very much. I've also been looking at hotels - even if you can direct me if someone has already answered these questions I would be greatful. I'm planning on leaving the last week in April. Thanks in advance!

WifejailedinAZ
02-24-2009, 04:50 PM
The once per month clause means exactly that, it is not once per calendar Month, if you Visit the person this weekend, you have to wait 1 full month before a special visit may be granted again. see the rule below for specifics.
:thumbsup:

Traveling over 300 Miles
In those circumstances when the offender has no prior notice of the special visit (e.g., family travels over 300 miles to see the offender without notifying the offender of the visit), the Duty Warden shall have the authority to approve or deny the request based on the Duty’s Warden’s assessment of the individual circumstances of the request.
Long Distance Traveled - Permission for visits of a maximum of four (4) hours may be obtained through the Warden or designee for visitors whose residence is 300 or more miles (as indicated by the Texas State Mileage Guide) in distance (one-way) from the offender’s unit of assignment. A total of eight (8) hours visiting with a maximum of four (4) hours per day on two (2) consecutive days may be permitted. Such visits may be scheduled during the week by special arrangement. Only one (1) special extended visit may be held each month. Permission for an extended visit due to distance traveled shall not usually be granted if the visitor has visited more than once in the past month.

karen
02-24-2009, 07:59 PM

A couple of things you need to be aware of:

You must be on his visitation list. (He should know this and should have taken care of gettting you put on there.) I only mention it, in case you are planning on a surprise visit.

I haven't heard of an eight hour visit. But that really is neither here nor there, because you will need to call his unit, and ask for inmate records. That is who you will need to set up the special visit with. So you can ask them if you can have one 8 hour visit. I know you can request 2 - four hour visits. Most visits are on Sat. and Sunday.

The other thing is you should understand that only family members get contact visits. So since this is your penpal, odds are you are going to visit behind glass. (Now you didn't mention his unit and on some units "all visits are contact" but those units are far and few between.)

As far as hotels go... you might go to his unit specific thread and ask about hotels there.

But above all, call the unit ask for inmate records, they will be able to help you set up your visit and answer all your questions.

Good luck,
Karen

Johnston90
02-25-2009, 01:09 PM
Thanks all for the information. I am on his visiting list so that is not a problem. I think to save some money I'll just do a 2 day trip. But as I reserved the darn thing I picked the wrong month! I swear! Anyway, got that squared away - well waiting for my refund - thank God I noticed it today or I would have been SOL. I didn't think that Polunsky had contact visits...I thought they were all behind glass. Anyway, thanks all for the assistance!!

Johnston90
03-02-2009, 11:35 AM
Thanks again all - I won't be going he has decided to stop all contact with me and I can't see wasting the money if he is going to VR to see me. Life sure sux some times.....

Dillon's Wife
03-02-2009, 11:45 AM
I'm sorry. Hope you're OK with this.

Johnston90
03-02-2009, 01:08 PM
I'm not really but I have no choice...

I'm sorry. Hope you're OK with this.

Mrs. Williams
04-11-2009, 01:44 AM
hi everyone,
I am so new at all of this and I need some help bad my husband is on his way to the pen i have no Idea where he is going he just signed yesterday and I am pergnat I will have my baby in Aug. this year he was charged with a indesent ex with a child I in 2000
don't know what form i have to feel out so that I can bring my baby to see him because of his old charge I know there has to be a form that they will want to be fild out for him to see his and my first baby. And he is going now for a 5 yr 3g sentince for assult on a police officer how long will it take be for I am fist him someone please help me it seems like everyone is so kind on here I thank you ahead.

Thank You,
Mrs. Williams and little Patince Renee Williams

smallngood
04-11-2009, 07:55 AM
You may request the form from TDCJ, his unit will have one for you to fill out.
He will not be allowed to be near any child UNsupervised, also, some more restrictions may be stipulated. It will be listed under court documents of his old charge, this you will have to find through the courts, not his unit. "Some" SO's can't even be around children, period, be their own or other wise.
Be safe.

jennyjen32
04-20-2009, 10:14 PM
Can you have contact visits with your husband who is a sex offender?
we live in texas

sushianna
07-29-2009, 12:26 PM
Can someone on parole visit an inmate?

nesaguy
08-29-2011, 04:23 PM
My husband is in Bartlett (Texas). Can anyone tell me how long you have to wait before a contact visit? I had found online in the 'rules' that it was 60 days after intake. I called today, because this Sunday will be 60 days, and the lady answering the phone for Bartlett says it's not until 90 days. He is a TDCJ inmate and not a state inmate.
Have the rules changed, or did this lady not know what she is talking about? We are soooo looking forward to this weekend. We don't want to have to talk through the window for another month. Have they changed the rules?
Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this. :)

mckfuz
08-29-2011, 05:00 PM
My husband is in Bartlett (Texas). Can anyone tell me how long you have to wait before a contact visit? I had found online in the 'rules' that it was 60 days after intake. I called today, because this Sunday will be 60 days, and the lady answering the phone for Bartlett says it's not until 90 days. He is a TDCJ inmate and not a state inmate.
Have the rules changed, or did this lady not know what she is talking about? We are soooo looking forward to this weekend. We don't want to have to talk through the window for another month. Have they changed the rules?
Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this. :)

I am also having a contact visit issue. My ex-husband is at gist unit and we have an 8 year old daughter. My ex told me when he got there that he had to wait 90 days but I told him that on the policies it says 60 days for tdc inmates and 30 days for state inmates plus everytime i ask them about me getting a contact visit they give me a different answer. He should be hitting his 60 day mark this week so I'm going to see if me & my daughter can get a contact visit next weekend. It's a local commute for me....

Hallwaywalker
08-29-2011, 06:20 PM
Have the rules changed, or did this lady not know what she is talking about?

I am gonna go out on a limb here and say that she didn't know what she was talking about. I was told that at Gurney as well, but the most recent handbook is what they have to go by, and if it says 60 days, then that's what it is.

The catch is that it has to be updated in the computer in Huntsville - so if your guy becomes eligible for contact visits on Thursday and it isn't updated in time, then you are out of luck for that weekend. This is what happened to us - we had to wait an extra week - but boy was it worth it! :D

grmnclt_gurl
08-30-2011, 04:06 AM
If the Handbook says 60 days then that is what everyone should be going by. My best suggestion would be to print out a copy of the Handbook and take it with you so that if there is a problem you have it with you to show them. You won't be able to take it "in" with you to the actual visit but you should be able to have it with you while you are checking in. Hope you guys have a great visit.

rooks.onelove08
06-04-2012, 12:13 PM
I am going to visit my guy at Price Daniel Aug. 23 and I called the prison and gave them all my info and the lady there told me it was all i needed to do. So who knows. I asked about the new form, but she acted like she had everything in her computer that she needed for my visit. I guess i will find out when i get there. Also i am putting in a request to the warden for a contact visit since i am only the girl friend!

how do you put a request in to the warden? I am the only family he has here in tx and we have a child together but are not married... we need contact! :D

My*PrinceSergai
06-09-2012, 06:51 PM
You will need to have your child's father to put in a request to the warden to have you be put on his visitation list specifically for contact visits so that your child may be able to have "contact" with his father. Have him explain the situation. If he has no other people that come to visit him for a contact visit it will be much easier for you to get a contact visit. Hope I explained that okay for you. Hope you get your contact visits. Take care and God Bless.