View Full Version : Travel permit

11-25-2003, 01:26 AM
Is there anywhere I can read about the guidelines US probation officers have to follow in granting travel permits? At my initial interview with my officer, he indicated that travel outside the district was generally not allowed in the first 6 months of probation, but I would like to spend the holidays with my family several states away, one of whom is very old and in deteriorating health.

I'd just like to know what to expect and what arguments I can make if I am denied, of course respectfully. I don't want my probation officer disliking me.


11-25-2003, 09:44 AM
Travel permits are generall approved. The 6 month restriction seems somewhat unconsidered. Of course, if you hyave an unmet financial obligation (fine or restitution) and the trip costs you anything, don't plan on approval.

11-26-2003, 12:27 AM
Thanks for the answer.

I should be okay then. My restitution is paid up, and my father will be paying for the plane ticket for my visit.

One other question... Is there a set time limit on how long I can be away? Or is it just up to my officer? I am in college, so I'll have like 3 1/2 weeks off and would like to spend the whole time with my family.

11-26-2003, 08:42 AM
The time shoiuldn't be a problem, given your situation. Expect to have to report to the local probation office. BTW - If you are going to vacation (ski, etc.) and not be with your family (they will verify), or your family lives in Las Vegas or Atlantic City - forget it.

11-26-2003, 07:00 PM
Las Vegas is one place you DO NOT want to visit while on Supervised Release. My PO OK'd the business trip. Upon arrival I had to check in with a USPO who was very nice, but then you have to check in with the Clark County Sheriff's Department. This was not a pleasant event. Even after one is off paper, felons are required by local statute to register with the sheriff upon arrival in Clark county.

11-26-2003, 07:45 PM
offpaper brings up a good point. Nevada has a felon registration law. Whether or not you are still on supervision, you still have to register at the local cop shop. Atlantic City has a similar requirement.

In this same vain, felons are not allowed to travel to Canada, Japan or Austraila.

11-26-2003, 09:23 PM
Do you have to register in Florida, as well, such as Nevada or Atlantic Ciy?


11-27-2003, 09:04 AM
Florida has no such laws, although certain offenders do need to register in certain locations - such as sex ofenders and certain persons convicted of drug offenses. This is not just for Florida, but for many states. Typically, if you stay in a jurisdiction more than 30 days, these laws apply.

The Nevada and Atlantic City laws are for anyone even visitors for one day.

11-27-2003, 10:34 AM
Thank You, for the info, believe me with my feelings about this kind of ---- I will stay out of of Nevada and Atlantic City.


11-27-2003, 11:47 AM
That is the easiest solution.