View Full Version : INDIANA marriage Q&A thread

E1950
11-24-2003, 04:25 PM
ANYONE WITH QUESTIONS ABOUT GETTING MARRIED IN INDIANA OR ANYONE WITH INFORMATION PLEASE POST HERE. I WILL ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS OR HELP YOU FIND YOUR ANSWERS.

1. Did you have any counsling
2. How long did the whole process take
3. Did you have to find your own minister
4. Were you allowed any flowers or disposable camera
5. How many guests were allowed to be there
6. What was the process to get the marriage license
7. What were the costs you had to pay
8. What were the two of you allowed to wear
9. Were you allowed to bring a wedding band in for him or did it have to be mailed and what was the value limit

E1950
11-24-2003, 04:40 PM
Hello yes getting married in Indiana. First the inmate haqs to put in a request for the marriage to the chaplains office once that happens then they sent me a packet of papers with his information how long he has what he did to go to prison and a few forms for me to fill out plus I had to write a letter stating that I understood and that I still wanted to marry him. All this took about 2 months until I recieved a paper back approving our marriage request..I called the chaplians office to find out the next step and heres where it go tricky first the prison where my husband is Wabash valley the chaplains in the prison DONT do the wedding ceremony so I had to find someone who would be willing to do it.I live about 4 hours from the prison and I called all over the place plus I went on the computer to find churchs in the area near the prison that would do it.The hard thing was finding one that would call me back..I left several e-mails and phone messages but i DID FIND ONE.... Tha next step was getting the marriage licence which probally would of been easy if the chaplains office would of been more help.I had to find out on my own how to get on e without my soon to be husband..The county that I live in in Indiana didnt know what I was talking about that they had never done that had someone in prison marry and if they did the people from the jail would bring them there to fill out his part of the license I tryed to explain to them that that wasnt happening so I called the county that the prison was in and the ladies there were more helpful then the ones at the prison... I did finally get the license. I had to go to the court house and fill out mysection and they gave me yet another pack of papers for my soon to be husband to fill out and have noterized and send back to me to send back to the courthouse...Finally we could set a date which was October 28th 2003 We had a ceremony in the chapel at the prison I was allowed to bring a small bouquet of flowers,4 people the minester, his ring which could not cost more than $30.00 and had to have a reciept my ring the marriage licence and a camera....We were marryed and after the wedding I got to stay and visit with him for about 4 hours.[QUOTE]

hisxgirl
11-26-2003, 07:04 PM
First I want to say CONGRADULATIONS. Second I want to ask if you have any information on Miami Correctional Facility in Bunker Hill Indiana does it?

jennifer19200
07-26-2004, 09:34 PM
Does the inmate have to be sentenced to a certain minimum amount of time to get married in prison?

Rena10574
12-19-2004, 07:37 AM
I read in one of the other forum's that after you get married somewhere along the line you get approved of spending a full 24 hours with the inmate is that true? and what exactly is the family visiting?

j'sgurl
03-31-2005, 10:02 PM
does anyone have any information for miami correctional facility in bunker hill indiana, what i need to do, or if it can be done, anyone with any answers please let me know.....thank you :o

eddiezgirl04
04-28-2005, 02:06 PM
Congratulations to all of you getting married this year!! Secondly, I'm also looking for information on getting married at Miami Correctional in Bunker Hill, IN. I did read all the info here (thank you!) and will tell my man when he calls home next time. But I myself would like to know what all we need to do...he wants to get married ASAP but I know it will take time, I just hope he has the patience!

gaveitallup4lov
10-20-2005, 11:27 AM
My love is at CIC.
He submitted a request to marry to the chaplain, which not suprisingly was DENIED. I was a Correctional Sergeant at another facility. He is heartbroken over the denial, but I was not at all suprised.
Does anyone have information where we may take this from here?

Shawns_girl
10-24-2005, 07:44 PM
:confused: I heard that after you get married, that you get time alone to make love...do you know if this is true? It would sure be grate, I know that!
(He He) My fiancee just asked me to marry him last Friday...I'm so excited! He is in jail right now, but he'll soon be in prison, "Wabash Valley" most likely. Any information you have would really be appretiated...God Bless!

sweet_innocence
03-17-2006, 10:22 AM
Can anyone tell me how things work for getting married in Putnamville? step by step? this whole prison thing is new to me, so any help would be appreciated. thanks.

sjcarf
03-28-2006, 05:05 PM
they denied my fiancee parole to my home so we decide to go ahead and get married but the clerk at the putnam county courthouse told me we both have to be present to get a marriage license which is impossible so how are people getting married in there

TPASSION1979
04-15-2006, 04:14 AM
Dos Anyone Know How You Can Get Married At Pendleton Corrections...step By Step Thank You

urbanprincess29
04-19-2006, 11:15 PM
I got married at Putnamville and the process was very simple, yet so stressful. We didn't have any counseling, Chaplain Hughes made it very clear she was not interested in prison weddings-she provided no help at all short of processing the paperwork. They sent a one maybe two page questionnaire, well really it just asked maybe 10 questions top (name, age, highest school level, occupation, if I was aware of the crime committed...). I sent that in and within 1 week of that we were picking a date. The whole process would have taken maybe two months, however I got cold feet 2x's and we had to reschedule.
Now the Putnam County Recorder was an experience! Maybe they are Ms. Hughes little helpers, they were adamant about not giving me a license--I even had to go to the little law library on the second floor to show them their guidelines are no different than Marion County (who issues marriage licenses under our circumstances). Anyhow to make a long story short, I had to establish residency in Indianapolis to get a marriage license, I completed my portion there, they gave me the license (he completed his portion in front of the notary at the facility), I brought it back to them and they gave me the certificate, we got married and I mailed it in to finalize everything. Oh yeah, and we did have to find a minister.

urbanprincess29
04-19-2006, 11:19 PM
Last, they allowed rings (they never once gave me a price limit and I did splurge). No cameras, no flowers--Eight guests were allowed...

aabiisco
06-10-2007, 10:30 AM
This information was helpful but does anyone know specifically about branchville? I saw that someone had to set up residency in Indiana and that wouldn't be an option for our family. We live in Florida. Helppp!:eek:

indianawmn7798
10-05-2008, 05:35 AM
Wow, thank you for all the helpful information!!

I wasn't sure how that all worked, seeing as how I was just proposed to this past friday (Oct 3rd) and he is at Wabash Valley. So everything you said was exactly the info I needed. I'm pretty sure that I'll hear from him soon regarding this and I'll end up getting that packet in the mail before long. How soon did it take you to get the inital process started? (ie: getting packet in the mail?) I've been married before and I know how it's supposed to work normally.:p

Again thank you very much!!

indianawmn7798
10-07-2008, 03:23 AM
[quote=E1950;335629]Hello yes getting married in Indiana. First the inmate haqs to put in a request for the marriage to the chaplains office once that happens then they sent me a packet of papers with his information how long he has what he did to go to prison and a few forms for me to fill out plus I had to write a letter stating that I understood and that I still wanted to marry him. All this took about 2 months until I recieved a paper back approving our marriage request..I called the chaplians office to find out the next step and heres where it go tricky first the prison where my husband is Wabash valley the chaplains in the prison DONT do the wedding ceremony so I had to find someone who would be willing to do it.I live about 4 hours from the prison and I called all over the place plus I went on the computer to find churchs in the area near the prison that would do it.The hard thing was finding one that would call me back..I left several e-mails and phone messages but i DID FIND ONE.... Tha next step was getting the marriage licence which probally would of been easy if the chaplains office would of been more help.I had to find out on my own how to get on e without my soon to be husband..The county that I live in in Indiana didnt know what I was talking about that they had never done that had someone in prison marry and if they did the people from the jail would bring them there to fill out his part of the license I tryed to explain to them that that wasnt happening so I called the county that the prison was in and the ladies there were more helpful then the ones at the prison... I did finally get the license. I had to go to the court house and fill out mysection and they gave me yet another pack of papers for my soon to be husband to fill out and have noterized and send back to me to send back to the courthouse...Finally we could set a date which was October 28th 2003 We had a ceremony in the chapel at the prison I was allowed to bring a small bouquet of flowers,4 people the minester, his ring which could not cost more than $30.00 and had to have a reciept my ring the marriage licence and a camera....We were marryed and after the wedding I got to stay and visit with him for about 4 hours.

Which prison was this at? Just curious.....

Just Me 1973
10-30-2008, 07:10 PM
Guess my toughest issue will to get the lisence with him there the fact that I'm not a US citizens.... Hopefully it'll work out. I will follow your footsteps :)

LoveMyLeo
10-31-2008, 01:25 AM
Does anyone have any information on getting married at Indiana State Prison? Any information would be useful!

justinslove
11-02-2008, 12:13 AM
I am trying to get info on Branchville..it doesn't seem anyone responds to this post though!

indianawmn7798
11-02-2008, 01:10 AM
I'm not too familar with how things work there - I know my fiance is starting the process where he's at. He told me he has to sit with the chaplain and talk to him about it. He said he has to fill out some paperwork and he also has to give a reason why we want to get married.... that part was easy :) I sent him what I would say, he's going to add to it and give it as "our" reason. Too sweet. Then it has to go through the whole approval process - still unsure on how that works but he told me that we have to give them at least 90 days notice of the date that we want to get married on. I asked him if April 17th was too soon, I haven't heard back on it yet, but that's in the spring and that's when he would have wanted it anyway. My part is the most tedieous (sp) - I have to get his birth certificate (he was born in California), go to Putnam County to apply for the marriage license (which you have to get within 30 days before the wedding, and from what I hear is the hardest part) then take it back to them after the wedding so it can be processed. We're also putting together a "wish list" of things he's going to ask if we can have.... such as flowers, camera, guests, etc, and get back to me on it. After that, well I haven't gotten that far :)

Your guy can check into it from there and send you information. I just keep asking questions and he's pretty good at getting me the things I need to know. I'll post more as soon as I find out anything new.

Good luck!!! :thumbsup:

I am trying to get info on Branchville..it doesn't seem anyone responds to this post though!

indianawmn7798
11-02-2008, 01:28 PM
Grrrr, I meant Sullivan County in my previous post.... I realized that this morning.

'doh!!

butterflybride
04-05-2009, 08:30 PM
Does anyone know about Henry County's rules? (That's where New Castle Correctional Facility is.) My guy has started the forms & I am waiting for my part to get to me. How much is the cost? I keep hearing/seeing between $150 - $450. I need to know because currently I am working temp jobs & the cheaper it will cost the better. I just want to marry the man I love, and even if we get denied while he's in, we'll go as soon as he's out.

risingphoenix
07-10-2009, 03:00 AM
Does anyone have any information about getting married at Branchville,IN?

indianawmn7798
07-11-2009, 12:13 AM
I'm not sure about the other facilities but if you check out my thread in the weddings forum titled "We were denied today" it pretty much takes you though the entire denial and approval process, costs, steps to getting marriage license, and of course the minister. My guy is at Wabash Valley - our wedding date is in a little under 2 weeks away. Hope it helps!!! :thumbsup:

MelEvans
08-21-2009, 12:30 PM
What about Miami Correctional Fclty?

littlebit1971
10-12-2009, 05:42 PM
Anyone have any idea how to get married at Pendleton? Here were i live in Kokomo both of us have to be at the courthouse to apply for the marriage liciense.I seem to be getting nowhere and i need alittle help.:confused:

LUV4CSF
11-25-2009, 12:47 PM
Does anyone know if you can get married in an Indiana County Jail & what you haft to do? He is my boyfriend of 4 years, and we have a 9 month old baby together, and they will not let me see him because i'm not immediate family.

Geno'sGirl
03-09-2010, 02:58 PM
my fiance is in the madison county jail right now, don't know where they are going to send him, but he and I both want to get married. it doesn't look like he's going to get out for at least 2 1/2 years if we are lucky, if we aren't then its going to be 4 1/2 to 5 years. We want to get married before he gets out, but we don't know the process or where he's going... so frustrating... he is currently married and trying to divorce her because he hasn't seen her in 5 years. But he wants to marry me when he gets it all finished. Please Help!

BABYGIRL38
06-08-2010, 03:56 PM
How much was the liences?, and dos he have to be presant?

billyswifie
08-31-2010, 05:05 PM
Last, they allowed rings (they never once gave me a price limit and I did splurge). No cameras, no flowers--Eight guests were allowed...

thanks for the info me and my man ar getting married this year in putnamville and i needed this info thanks so much.

Mrs.Twitty
03-29-2011, 01:25 PM
Any one have any information on how to marry in the Indianapolis Re-Entry Educational Facility?

jameswifey82908
05-18-2011, 01:50 PM
Any one have any information on how to marry in the Indianapolis Re-Entry Educational Facility?

i would call the facility, my hubby.was in miami county they gave us a spending limit on our rings, his could only be up to 14k gold no jewels, we had to tell how maby cameras and also had to have a limit of people attending much luck!!

jameswifey82908
05-18-2011, 01:54 PM
First I want to say CONGRADULATIONS. Second I want to ask if you have any information on Miami Correctional Facility in Bunker Hill Indiana does it?

my hubby was at miami they gave us a 30 $ spending limit on his ring had to only be 10k no jewels, there was a limit in people who could attend and we had to tell them how many cameras we wanted to bring i think youre allowed up to 2 we got married in '03

JstALtlPtncE
06-12-2011, 12:04 PM
Has anyone ever been married in the Pendleton Correctional Facility? Can I have some details of how it all went down? Also, I had no trouble getting the grant to marry him, but I cant for the life of me get a marriage license. How did you get it? And what happens after the wedding? Please and thank you!!

badhabit
11-04-2014, 06:56 PM
Can I get any info on what to do or were to start with tryn to get married at westville