View Full Version : Xanax and stealing?

BretsWoman
07-07-2008, 10:03 PM
My boyfriend was arrested last year for breaking into a house. He was on a handful of Xanax (10-20 pills) at the time. I haven't seen much posted about this drug in here. And was wondering if anyone else has experience or seen people steal things when on the drug? He never steals when he's sober, but as soon as he's on pills, he has no morals. Any thoughts?

bluesapphire
07-07-2008, 11:27 PM
I know we have talked before about xanax. Here's the link http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294047&highlight=xanax

Wow 10 to 20 pills at once is a lot I think. Maybe he is having blackouts and not knowing what he is doing.

sallycantdance
07-12-2008, 08:04 AM
sounds just like my boyfriend. he'd never steal when sober, but when he's been on xanax, maybe 15-20 pills, he's been arrested for stealing, and he has also been breaking into houses a couple of times to steal more pills.

another thing i've noticed is that he get kinda violent, the few times he been into fights, he's been on xanax.

BretsWoman
07-14-2008, 09:36 PM
luckily Bret has never been violent. Although I'll admit, I've gotten a little fiesty with him once or twice. After so many times of pleading with him to stop, my worries turned into anger. He held me back the time I did that though. (Only happened once).

servingtime2
07-15-2008, 04:31 AM
Xanax makes my son do some really stupid things....stealing is one of those things. I absolutely HATE that drug.

austexceilings
07-15-2008, 01:22 PM
I have ask this question before but, I guess i will ask it again you get locked down they put you on the most expensive drug they can find to treat you then you get out you have to have it and your broke? the only reason i say this is because they had put my brother on elavile (i believe thats the way its spelt) anyway he was down for about 4 years and took it everyday then released and nothing.

mommy2be
07-15-2008, 02:45 PM
xanax are very addictive and they sometimes make you do stupid things(first hand exper.)and i also know alot of people that have been on them...for me i was able to get off them but while i was on them i was very forgetful not like forgetting things for a few mins but more like i couldn't remember almost anything that happened the night or day before...it was crazy:( I also remember waking up one morning not being able to find anything i had the night before...xanax are the cause of my phone being stolen and misplacing 100 dollars for several hours which could have been stolen with my phone if i wouldn't have found it...Im just going to cut this short for now but if you have any ?'s about Xanax im here :) Please no rude remarks anyone...

maria3lynn
07-15-2008, 07:26 PM
My Son, my Sister, and Sister in-law all get very mean when they are coming down from them......I am prescribed them and only take them when I need to, but even then I have never acted like that....I have a girlfriend who took 90 in 2 days and had a seizure, her husband took her to the e.r. and they did absolutely nothing. They are sopposed to be dangerous to just go off of them cold turkey also.....

faddy555
08-10-2008, 03:48 AM
10 or 20 Xanax? What are these people, buffaloes? One puts me to sleep for 10 hours. The only thing I could steal would be some Z's.

dcywifey
08-10-2008, 03:56 AM
That wasnt very nice. Try to remember why we are all here.

ChicosgrrlinCO
08-19-2008, 10:03 PM
10 or 20 Xanax? What are these people, buffaloes? One puts me to sleep for 10 hours. The only thing I could steal would be some Z's.

That's what I'm sayin' :yes: cause I have a prescription for the .50mgs of the stuff. My BF Chico, even, (back in Chicago now living at home for the duration of his two year probation), who has ALWAYS done everything in full-blown excess, I don't think can imagine himself doing that many Xanax in one swallow (then again, he's done psychedelics in excess at once so who knows) :hmm:

Overdose of anything, pills particularily, as we all know are a very bad thing and people react differently to how their drugs (alcohol included) do in their systems.

clive621
08-26-2008, 02:19 AM
Xanax does nothing good for us, it makes my brother...

Missbabylissy
08-27-2008, 10:10 AM
Like any narcotic drug, the body develops a tolerance to xannax the longer you take it. A first time user will get the same effect from a .5 mg dose as a long time user will from 10-15 mgs. I found it helpful during our trial and when my baby was in the hospital because it does have an initial calming effect, however the potential for abuse is high and I found myself falling asleep at the wheel and being really irritable with family and friends. I got really obsessive about everything too. My house was immaculate down to cleaning the baseboards with a toothbrush. I switched to valium which is a better choice for me because I forget to take it all the time so I'm obviously not addicted to it. With Xanax, I was counting the hours until the next dose.

blueyed
08-27-2008, 07:10 PM
I have taken a half of a .05 and it knocked me out..only time i ever took it.. I know alot of people that use and abuse it but have never heard of anyone stealing from taking them..

wishbonesgirl
08-27-2008, 09:03 PM
I have more experience with the effects of abusing this drug than I care to.
My daughter was taking 15 white bar Xanax a DAY when she went to rehab after wrecking my mothers Trailblazer at a pill house.
The drug and alcohol abuse counselor told me that next to heroin it is the hardest drug to come off of and has a high relapse rate.
It kills your ability to feel which in turn makes you have no moral compass. My daughter stole it all............money, from stores, her grandfathers fathers day gift card.
It also steals days from your life and when they lie...........they are convincing because they honestly dont remember doing it therefore they didnt.
It alters peoples behavior seriously when it is abused and it is dangerous to quit all on your own. One time she tried and her pulse got down to 19. Very scary!
After rehab she had a baby and still ended up relapsing once and got caught with 5 pills and is now on felony probation for 4 years. I pray every day she never takes another one.
They are too easy to get. People everywhere sell these things!
Her cousin who was her partner on crime just got sentenced to 4 years for stealing while on xanax. He doesnt even remember doing it. They used surveillance tapes to finally convince him it was him.
I hope he gets the help he needs finally!
Carrie

sozeee
08-27-2008, 10:06 PM
I had no idea that xanex was so bad and addictive. I had a couple of prescriptions during the legal issues but was taking it only occasionally. I thought it was one of those "safe" drugs- not that any really are, but one that wasn't prone to abuse. My bad.

superdreamATM
09-02-2008, 08:39 AM
Xanax is exactly the reason my husband is in prison. HE has been arrested 3 times for burglary/robbery. Every time, he had taken xanax. I was prescribed xanax to help with sleep anxiety, and after we got married and i discovered his problem, I stopped getting my Rx filled. He tells me it makes him feel "10 feet tall". while taking xanax, he has robbed a bank, a McDonalds, grocery store, shoplifted from Walmart.. that I know of... it's a bad thing. Well IT is not bad, but the abuse is bad. People who are addicts find out every drug that can get them high. What's next, my birth control pills???? Its frustrating..

coffeegirl
09-02-2008, 04:43 PM
xanex is very addicting and i had to get off of it, i felt like i was loosing my mind. i have severe anxiety, so i went to the dr and told them i wanted to be treated for the long run, not just temporarily. since then i have been taking busbar daily, i have not had an attack in 2 weeks, and this has been probably 2 of the worst weeks of my life. so just to let you know, if anyone is really interested in treating their anxiety, that is the one that has helped me and i don't crave the other feeling of the euphoria.

atsgirl89
11-29-2008, 08:55 AM
first off, for a regular user, 10-20 xanax can be NOTHING to them. Also, there are different amounts of xanax out there. coming from personal experience, i used to steal random, stupid stuff while on xanax. um hello? salt and pepper shakers? ya! did it! haha but Xanax can be really addicted and very very hard to come off of!

lnh_ok
12-12-2008, 09:27 PM
I am in the same situation...the man I've been wih for 3 years and have 2 beatuiful baby boys with is now in prison in Oklahoma for burglary and yes, he was on those stupid pills. When he takes xanax he turns into a whole diffferent person. Infact, he was arrested June of this year on a whole other case...he called me and told me that he was going to buy some pills and I told him not to because he always does stupid things when he does...and sure enogh he did. He was arrested for stealing a womans purse out of her car at a gas station. Xanax have been a problem with him ever since his mom was released from prison and began to feed him the pills as she did the same for herself...why would anyone want to set their child up like that?

carole54frogs
12-12-2008, 11:54 PM
I have been reading these posts for quite some time, I am confused as to why an anxiety pill like xanax, would be the reason to make a person commit crimes...:confused:

I know I am older but, I just don't understand....I take this drug for panic attacks and it calms me the hell down..

so explain to me please...are they taking too many or stealing to get them?

I assume they are not under a drs care so therefor are getting them any way they can...do they react differently on different people ?

lnh_ok
12-13-2008, 11:37 AM
I have been reading these posts for quite some time, I am confused as to why an anxiety pill like xanax, would be the reason to make a person commit crimes...:confused:

I know I am older but, I just don't understand....I take this drug for panic attacks and it calms me the hell down..

I assume they are not under a drs care so therefor are getting them any way they can...do they react differently on different people ?

just like it is perscribed to you to calm your nerves, that is exactly what it does. It in a way takes the edge off and calmes their nerves taking away some of the nervousness that sometimes prevent those urges to do those sorts of things...like when I was taking them it kind of gave me the confidence and took away the control I had and I would say whatever was on my mind without thi nking about it...you kind of feal fearless in a way. Then magnify that by the insane amount of those pills that they actually take.

InsomniaCT
12-13-2008, 01:13 PM
Hi, Xanax, taken as prescribed can help to alleviate anxiety or panic. I believe that it comes in 3-4 different strengths; .25, .5, .75 & 1. They are scored and can be split and are ususally not prescribed more often than 3 x per day--over a short period of time (a month?). Xanax is REALLY dangerous with alcohol--it intensifies the effects. Here's what drugs.com says:
What are the possible side effects of Xanax?

Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling (http://www.drugs.com/xanax.html#) of your face, lips, tongue, or throat. Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:

unusual risk-taking behavior, decreased inhibitions, no fear of danger;
depressed mood, thoughts of suicide or hurting yourself;
hyperactivity, agitation, hostility, hallucinations;
feeling light-headed, fainting;
seizure (convulsions);
urinating less than usual or not at all;
muscle twitching, tremor; or
jaundice (yellowing of the skin (http://www.drugs.com/xanax.html#) or eyes).
Since we are talking about people taking this drug in much greater rates than prescribed, and taking the med when it is not prescribed for them, the danger is great. Also, for people who started to take them through their doctor, then found their stress was great and the pill not so effective, it's easy to start taking 2 or 3 pills...Prescription meds can fool you into thinking they are safe. Your doctor may not be prescribing the best thing, which complicates the whole picture. Let's face it, if we take something when the world sucks and we start to feel better, there's a good chance we'll do it again. The problem is, we ge too relaxed about it (don't use as prescribed), have a glass of wine, too, then another...all of a sudden sleep isn't so elusive...but the EMT's can't wake us up.

bow-hunter
12-13-2008, 07:31 PM
Xanax is a very horrible drug if it's abused.My best friend had a problem with them,the bad thing is that when they are taking them they have no idea what they are doing and won't even remember it when they come down,atleast that is the way he was.I would tell him what he had done and how he was acting and he would be so ashamed of himself.When sober he was the nicest guy in the world but after a few Xanax he would become an ASS and think he could take on anyone.

superdreamATM
12-15-2008, 08:39 AM
I have taken xanax off and on for about 5 years for anxiety which leads to sleeplessness. In a correct dosage and for the person who needs it medically, its fine. For a drug addict (or anyone who wants to "party"), they may take 5 or 10 and wash it down with beer or liquor. That's where the bad stuff happens. My husband has been put in prison 3 times. EVERY time he had been drinking and taking someone else's xanax. I told him when he comes home, I will NOT be getting any more even if my dr continues to prescribe it. There are alot of drugs that have ill effects when taken NOT as directed or as recreational. And Xanax so far seems the worst of them. It makes my husband into a different person. Bold, loud, like he can do anything and there's not a care in the world. That is what led him to rob a bank, a McDonald's, a grocery store, and tried to break into a pharmacy. I wish Xanax would be more controlled (or off the market).

carole54frogs
12-15-2008, 04:53 PM
:( how sad all this can happen...guess i am too old, and out of the loop...i do know i have to sign a form saying i will not have a benzo party?....but really anyone could sign the form get the drug and do whatever....:(:(

TinaU2
12-19-2008, 12:37 AM
yeah xanax is a bad drug in the wrong hands. However, xanax isn't a living thing that pops itself into unsuspecting victims mouths to wreak havoc.

Xanax is a prescribed drug for people who will benefit from it's intended uses.

Ps: don't share your prescribed xanax.

superdreamATM
12-22-2008, 03:40 PM
I told my husband when he comes home, i will tell the DR to quit prescribing xanax to me. I told hubby if he can get high off my birth control pills or iron supplements, then that's all he's gonna have anyway. ha ha!

pbandk
03-26-2009, 08:33 PM
It depends on how much you take. General practice doctors prescribe them and people think that is sufficient. You must take them as directed and be closely monitored while taking them. They are very addictive. I think that people who have addictions are capable of stealing, sure. That said, I never stole anything while on Xanax. Hope that helps.

Suthrndreamgirl
03-26-2009, 09:55 PM
Xanax seems to be one of the top drugs of choice with teenagers these days. I HATE seeing anyone (especially teens) abuse Xanax. They have no idea how completely STUPID they act! My daughter has taken them & is MEAN on them! Soooo out of character for her! We've literally been in a physical fight...only for her not to remember the next day.

superdreamATM
03-27-2009, 08:34 AM
Xanax is a top choice around here for young people. Easy to get and supposedly gives a good buzz. I take Xanax as prescribed by my doc, and it knocks me out. I do things basically in my sleep (eat, do laundry, talk on phone) and have NO memory. So why would anyone want to do that on purpose AND drink alcohol with it too?? Xanax and beer are Trey's downfall. That's what he had taken all 3 times he got arrested and went to prison.

goopkat
03-27-2009, 01:28 PM
I took xanax for eight years as perscribed my a Dr. I never abused them, but when I decided to stop taking them the withdrawl was AWFUL.
Have you ever seen a movie where they show a heroin addict throwing up with the cold shakes, unable to sleep for days.. yeah, that wss me for over a week.

I haven't touched xanax in almost 10 yrs. My sister uses them occasionally for recreation and she acts loopy as could be! She talks crazy and seems to have no conscience at all. This is a dangerous drug, but for me it did help with anxiety for a while. After a while though I was just feeding my addiction.

Imani
03-29-2009, 12:47 PM
Thanks to all of you for your insight about Xanax..I have a prescription for Xanax 0.25Mg for a couple of years now. It was prescribed to me because I work nights and have a hard time sleeping during the day especially in the summer time. I've never abused the drug but,reading your posts about the side affects of this drug..I'm experiencing some forgetfulness on some rare occasions. I'm just wondering is it do to my age or the drug...I have to figure that one out plus,ways to get some sleep during the day without taking this drug.

cindynkris1014
03-29-2009, 02:16 PM
I abused xanax for over 2 years. I was an evil monster. I would steal, lie, I was just pure hateful. I have had seizures when withdrawing from them. I am now taking topamax which is an anticonvulsant. I hate to see anyone go down that road.

Imani
03-29-2009, 04:10 PM
When you say "abused xanax," how many did you take and how often? If you don't mind me asking... When I take them it's only 1 pill per day as needed. Which is not to often maybe 1 pill or 2 per week at times or less when I can't get any sleep during the day.

cindynkris1014
03-29-2009, 05:12 PM
I took 4-5 2mg bars a day while drinking a lot of alcohol. It was really bad. I just didnt want to care about anything and it took all the pain away.

Imani
03-29-2009, 05:27 PM
Thank you for sharing your story. A lot of people take drugs to dumb the pain away or to deal with every day life. I hope that you are doing better now and learning or have learned to love yourself :grouphug: I hope that I didn't offend you by being so blunt.

PatitoDeHule
04-10-2009, 09:55 PM
Xanax, yes. My experience is a little different, but I'll tell the story just for a different perspective. First a little background.

In 1985 I was hospitalized for "depression" and that diagnosis went through a few changes, finally to "exhaustion" due to severe stress--what now would be called PTSD. For the first two days I was unable to talk coherently with the psychiatrist. On the third day, he asked me how the drug was working and I said it made me sleepy. I asked what it was and I think he said Prozac. He told me I was obsessive-compulsive, and \explained what it meant. I remember the remainder of that conversation vividly. I said, "I've been doing things like that all my life; why is it an issue now?" He replied, "Then I guess it's not." I did mention that I had recently had a panic attack in which I had run out of the house in my underwear at about 3:00 AM. So he put me on Xanax.

During our weekly follow-ups, I complained that my memory was shot. I blamed it on the stress, but came to realize that it was warning number one about the Xanax. He didn't want to take me off of it, but asked me whether I'd had any more panic attacks--that's apparently what it was for. I told him they only came about once every ten years. !!! "Why didn't you tell me that before???" Well, I'd been in a kind of stupid daze since the hospitalization. He took me off the Xanax (taking half the minimum therapeutic dose for two weeks) and put me on Desyrel. That seemed to have no effect on me good or bad and he took me off and referred me to a counsellor. End of psychiatric appointments.

This all came back to me some time later. My wife changed from another drug to Xanax for "General Anxiety Disorder with agoraphobia." (GAD w/agoraphobia--I love these names!) She was on 0.5 mg once daily for about six months. The side effects it had on her were impaired memory, angry reactions to minor things, and it became impossible to sleep with her. She would talk in her sleep for 3-4 hours every night. On some nights she would suddenly jump up and start hitting or clawing at me. The Dr. resisted taking her off it, but the side effects immediately trailed off and were gone within a week.

I've not had any experience with abuse of Xanax, but I can well imagine that it would cause a lot of the problems described here. They seem to be an exaggeration of what my family has found out are fairly common side effects of its prescribed use.

ivecnub4
04-10-2009, 11:08 PM
i s started taking xanax 3 mos ago as perscribed by my doctor i had extreme anxiety which would keep me up all night. he perscribed me 1mg tablets. i take one before bed and it works wonders, i sleep all night and dont wake up with a hangover. i have no desire to take them during the day.

fredwinters
08-24-2009, 01:55 AM
I started taking this drug as a prescription from my doctor for anxiety. I thought it was great and I could do so much. 6 years went by so fast that I don't remember anything in those years. My tolerance got so high that I had to buy extra ones.
I went to rehab because my life became a mess and I wanted to get off of them. During detox I experienced my first seizure. I said screw this left rehab and started taking them again. In the following two years I decided I would quit myself. I had 5 gran mal seizures in that time. I got a dui from driving on Xanax from a seizure or passing out, I got Xanax possession charges, lost my family, job, and freedom briefly. I finally went back to rehab 20 months after the first time i went in. I have been clean for 10 months now. Stay off this stuff. DO NOT GO DOWN THIS ROAD. I thought I could handle it but in the end I couldn't. Withdrawals were so bad and lasted for 14 days for me before I could say that I didn't feel like i was going to die from not taking xanax. 2 entire weeks man.

Fishman33
08-26-2009, 07:05 AM
I did not know this.

soon2Bsentenced
10-02-2009, 10:44 PM
My boyfriend was arrested last year for breaking into a house. He was on a handful of Xanax (10-20 pills) at the time. I haven't seen much posted about this drug in here. And was wondering if anyone else has experience or seen people steal things when on the drug? He never steals when he's sober, but as soon as he's on pills, he has no morals. Any thoughts?

I was kind of surprised to see this type of post in here. I used to have a problem with Xanax also, and did some pretty horrible things on it. I never steal, but when I was on Xanax I would do crazy things, stealing, violence, etc. I would do things just for the hell of it, because Xanax lowers your inhibitions, especially when taken in large amounts. It is a horrible drug, and stealing is just a minor side-effect of high dosage. There have truly been atrocities commited while on this drug. I hope your boyfriend stays away from it.

pbandk
10-22-2009, 08:00 PM
To be honest, and I know I will get a bunch of crap for this, but I used to take Xanax every day. I loved the taste of it. If I didn't take it, I thought I was going to die. I have never ever stolen while on the drug. I don't break the law because it's just not something that I do. Criminality is a learned behavior. I think if anything, drugs facilitate unlawfulness that is already present in the person's personality. I say this as someone with a past problem with Xanax and as someone who has a fiance in prison due to crimes that he committed while under the influence of drugs.

waitn4mybaby
10-22-2009, 08:49 PM
To be honest, and I know I will get a bunch of crap for this, but I used to take Xanax every day. I loved the taste of it. If I didn't take it, I thought I was going to die. I have never ever stolen while on the drug. I don't break the law because it's just not something that I do. Criminality is a learned behavior. I think if anything, drugs facilitate unlawfulness that is already present in the person's personality. I say this as someone with a past problem with Xanax and as someone who has a fiance in prison due to crimes that he committed while under the influence of drugs.

I take Xanax for anxiety, but in the recommended doses. Taking large quantities of xanax is what the above posts are talking about. Taking normal or even double doses won't cause those effects, but taking 10 mg or more will make people do some pretty outrageous things. It is a totally different drug when taken in large quantities, compared to taking just a couple mgs. I know several people who have never stolen anything, but get them hopped up on enough xanax and they will steal anything.

pbandk
10-23-2009, 08:50 AM
In the eyes of the court, it seems like an excuse for breaking the law. Trust me, I've taken extremely high doses of the drug and not stolen from anyone. They do make me agitated and angry, but they don't make me steal. That was what I was getting at. Someone who claims it was drugs making them steal had that flaw to begin with, my guy included. That is just MY OPINION. I respect everyone else's opinion. I'm just throwing this out there. Maybe I've been watching court tv for too long! :)

mrs.bug
10-23-2009, 01:58 PM
I was prescribed xanax for about 6 months after my lover died two years ago. I told my doctor sometimes I just couldn't cope and they started me off on the .5 then upped it to 1 mg. I usually took one about every three days or so, just when I felt like my world was crashing down on me. It did make me feel like I didn't care about anything, like you could slap me in my face and I would laugh. When they stopped prescribing it I started using weed to relax me in the same way. It worked well, but it was illegal and ended up causing more trouble than it was worth. Me and my husband were both really addicted to weed, even though they say it's not addictive that's a lie because if I didn't have my smoke I was very hard to deal with! Same for him, he'd run around trying to get smoke like it was crack or something. He's clean now because he's in jail, but I've also been clean for 37 days and have no thoughts of going back. I turned to God and he gives me the peace that both of these drugs used to give me.

mariesmike
10-23-2009, 03:30 PM
my son had them on him and had already taken 9 when he commited his crime, he called me 37 hours after his arrest and asked me mama why am i in jail what happen,,, i said son you shot up a truck full of people and your facing 15 to life. my heart is broken.

asia_marie2000
08-10-2010, 08:39 PM

Its a very addictive drug, once you've been on them for a while taking one or two a day won't work, some people want more.
I was taking them for 2 years sometimes 8 to 10 a time, they made me do things i normally don't do. Stealing was one of them, xanax makes you feel like you don't care about anything basically you don't care. I spent 4 months in jail for stealing and make it so bad it was from Goodwill... LOL...
Never been in trouble by the law before and had to serve that long. I just walked out of goodwill with 250.00 worth of used merchandice in a basket, walked right out of the store in front of everyone and put the stuff in my car and stood outside for 45 minutes before they called the cops. I went through a horrible withdrawl while I was in jail and once out I never picked it back up again. If I had to warn anyone please don't make this drug your habit. It can ruin your family and your marriage or any kind of relationship. It can also ruin your life.

bluebella
08-11-2010, 11:51 PM
It is like any drug, it has it's place and time. It is not for anybody with an addictive personality!! It is the drug D.J. AM was using so he could fly after plane went down he was in. It was the drug used once by a friend for surgery with Dr.'s knowledge of addiction year clean, Gone!

JaxInOz
09-09-2010, 10:55 AM
Some horrible stories in this thread... ive never had xanax, but one of my gf's, she used to take them after partying on xtc(pills/mdma) all weekend, just so she could sleep. Tiny little girl would take a handful. One night she had multiple seizures at my house, the last one lasting for 45mins. It was some scary stuff. The ambulance came while she was still convulsing. She refused to got to hospital and there was nothing we could. I sat by her watching her sleep, all night. I was so scared for her. Not a good drug at all.

pmitch10
09-10-2010, 04:41 AM
Wow.....reading all this stuff.....no wonder we have a messed up society....we are paying to have our minds altered by trusting doctors and pharmacists to treat one thing but create so many other problems and altered states of minds. Maybe that is another reason why the US has so many people in their prisons. We are given pharmaceutical drugs like candy.....something for every ailment blinded to what the side effects short and long term may be and how that very thing can destroy our lives......Sigh!

justcurious2009
09-10-2010, 05:15 AM
I had a cousin who got himself hooked on these things as well & would steal & rob people all the time, he used them as an excuse because like I told him he remembered everything he done & would brag about it & then in the same breath say the xanexs made him do it, I told him no, you done it because you were a thief b4 taking them & if you know they make you stupid DON'T TAKE THEM. It was his own fault, no one forced them in his throat or forced him to crunch them up & snort them or shoot them up like he was he done this all on his own free will. But he is that way sober just tried to use it as an excuse for his behavior at the time when I would catch him at my store stealing. I have no pity for him, he's always been irresponsible & tried to blame everyone or anything for what he done. Like I said even when he's sober he does this, but he chooses to go hunt & buy these drugs amongst all the others. Some people have got hooked on them by accident due to horrible events that have depressed them ect but they don't do stuff like that, they stay home & sleep & just chill. Just like with any drug if its used for the intended purpose it helps but when abused it may cause a high but it makes it easier for you to get hooked & build up a tolerence. The sad thing about it, his family won't get him help when he's on the heavy drugs because they use him to get their drugs as well & if he gets off the stuff then he can't go get them their fixes.:( Like others have said when he goes on his binges he takes 15-20 at a time, 1 knocks me out completely when I can't sleep how can he stand up.:rolleyes:

lizzybean
09-10-2010, 06:31 AM
LOL..... the good ole xanex sticky hands... its pretty well known in rehabs we used to talk about how you would wake up from that drug and have stolen things you didn't even want??? ie.. like music your not into clothes you woul never wear.. something about it makes you very very brave and your right you have absolutly no morals... and no memory

lizzybean
09-10-2010, 06:49 AM

I agree with what you are saying from my own experience on the drug and from seeing so many people on it. I think it does "enhance" things in your personality but can also make you act completely outside of your "sober" moral code.

princessjezebel
09-10-2010, 08:19 PM
xanax n clonopin r exactly the same thing-both r benzodiazepines,both r 4 panic attacks n seizures(n gettin high)but xanax hits u faster n leaves ur system quicker n clonopin takes awhile n holds u longer.anyways,im 43yrs n i was put on xanax at 14yrs(i was clean from 15yrs-22yrs but that was bcause i was using heroin).at 28yrs i went back on clonopin-people w/benzo addiction do tend to steal.theyve written about it in a medical journal.when i was on pills(started bcause of severe mental probs but bcame addicted)i bcame a professional shoplifter n worked w/a partner but after i cleaned up i had a hard time stealing.it wasnt until about 6 mths ago that i couldnt anymore n that was when i stopped taking pills.there r lots of other things pills make u do.

geo37
02-06-2011, 09:25 PM
xanax is the reason my girl is locked up when i got with her i knew she had a problem but she wanted to stop i told her i would support her and do anything i can to help well she would get her script filled and start taking them one day we were driving down the road she had her script filled the day before i was fed up with it and told her i cant do this anymore she had allready taken 11 pills when i told her we cant be together any more she just looked at me she said if we cant be together she doesnt want to live we were doing about 35 when she just opened the door and leaped out i about died when she did that she hit the ground i stopped and got her in the truck took her to the hospital she did not go in so brought her to her moms about an hour later she sent me a text saying she didnt want to live she had taken all her pills went into a neighbors house and overdosed the police were called and she was taken to the hospital were she had her stomach pumped they found over 27 pills well to make along story short she is in prison for it but alive and we are both great full for that

only1love
02-07-2011, 01:11 AM
Xanax is not to blame. The problem is that in every case mentioned here, none of the patients were taking this medication as prescribed. If the patient is non-compliant and is abusing the medication, that is an addiction and it is NOT the fault of the medication.

Xanax is not on the market to supply a buzz to anyone. It is designed for short term use ( such as for sedation for a funeral ) or for long term stress reduction ( such as a cardiac patient ) .In both situations, the doses are low and infrequent.

If a patient chooses to shoot up the entire bottle of insulin, is it the insulin's fault?

Controlled substances are just that. Medically controlled so that hopefully they do not get into the wrong hands. So should a doctor let someone suffer on the off chance that a junkie will rip them off and then abuse the medication?

Xanax does not make a person steal. No drug does that. Legal, abused, recreational or otherwise. People steal to support their addiction. That addiction could be drugs, alcohol, gambling, etc. Xanax is not the culprit

I will say that because of the enormous number of people who abuse these medications, doctors are reluctant to prescribe it for those that need it which is a shame. Addicts need counseling and detox. Removing zanax wont work. They will just switch to another one!

luvmyjack
02-07-2011, 10:49 PM
Thanks

Brianssong
02-08-2011, 09:25 PM
I agree somewhat with what you said, but when at any other time in the history of this great world has so many pills been so readily available???? The pharmaceutical companies of the world are multi trillion dollar industries... never before have we had commercials on tv saying "ask your doctor about so and so" it's freaking ridiculous!! the doctors and pharm. companies are no better than drug dealers in my opinion. whatever happened to tylenol with codeine for a back ache or toothache?? now, whenever someone has a little ache, off to the doctor they go for percocet... and they get them!! the number of teens and young adults (ages 12 to 25) who were new abusers of prescription painkillers grew from 400,000 in the mid-’80s to over 3 million in 2000, "according to a study by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration" THATS HUGE!!! New misusers of tranquilizers, which are normally used to treat anxiety or tension, increased nearly 60 percent between 1999 and 2000 alone. 60 percent, are you kidding me?! and why?? someone is prescribing these pills, companies are making these pills, it's all about the god almighty dollar. Oxycontin for example, suppose to be used by terminally ill cancer patients for pain, well i don't for one minute believe there are that many patients in need of them compared to how many pills are circulating... someone is making them, someone is prescribing them... doctors get kickbacks, pharm companies are getting very rich from people's sufferings and addictions... it's an epidemic, and it's scary... these pills change a person, they change the brain.... nothing a 28 day rehab can cure... that's for sure. UGH, it just pisses me off so bad... thinking who the real criminals are in all of this, and watching our children become victims of this...

22mom
02-09-2011, 12:57 PM
Brianssong, you are so right. My son is an addcit and his original drug of choice was oxycontin. You know where he was getting it? From a lady about 60 years old. Can you believe that?! Not only was she selling oxy, she apparently had many pills to sell. Well, I confronted her one day "I said, quit selling your drugs to my kid, he's effing 17 (fu@17) years old" Well of course it didn't stop her from selling or my son from using. But why is she getting this many pills if she doesn't need them?! UGGGHHH!

hischubchub
02-09-2011, 01:11 PM
This is why my husband is gone =(

only1love
02-09-2011, 02:06 PM
I agree somewhat with what you said, but when at any other time in the history of this great world has so many pills been so readily available???? The pharmaceutical companies of the world are multi trillion dollar industries... never before have we had commercials on tv saying "ask your doctor about so and so" it's freaking ridiculous!! the doctors and pharm. companies are no better than drug dealers in my opinion. whatever happened to tylenol with codeine for a back ache or toothache?? now, whenever someone has a little ache, off to the doctor they go for percocet... and they get them!! the number of teens and young adults (ages 12 to 25) who were new abusers of prescription painkillers grew from 400,000 in the mid-80s to over 3 million in 2000, "according to a study by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration" THATS HUGE!!! New misusers of tranquilizers, which are normally used to treat anxiety or tension, increased nearly 60 percent between 1999 and 2000 alone. 60 percent, are you kidding me?! and why?? someone is prescribing these pills, companies are making these pills, it's all about the god almighty dollar. Oxycontin for example, suppose to be used by terminally ill cancer patients for pain, well i don't for one minute believe there are that many patients in need of them compared to how many pills are circulating... someone is making them, someone is prescribing them... doctors get kickbacks, pharm companies are getting very rich from people's sufferings and addictions... it's an epidemic, and it's scary... these pills change a person, they change the brain.... nothing a 28 day rehab can cure... that's for sure. UGH, it just pisses me off so bad... thinking who the real criminals are in all of this, and watching our children become victims of this...
To correctly respond would require a very long post which I have already addressed. The short answer is that historically doctors were in charge of disease management. During that time sick people were in the hospital. Most medications were injectable, given by real nurses exactly as prescribed with well documented outcomes. Patients were not sent home until they were ready! Psych patients were inpatients in special hospitals designed for their specific needs. The criminally insane were hospitalized and segregated from society. Fast forward to a time when the focus switched from allowing time to recover to quick bed turnover to save $ per case and generate$$ through rapid turnover. Doctors were forced to send patients home before they were ready. They were also forced to keep people at home because their illness was not a big money maker. The focus switched from outcome basis to length of stay criteria. It is inhumane to send someone home with stitches, still in pain, can't eat yet, can't sleep without medication. At first we sent nurses to the home to give the shots but then someone decided that was too expensive and the field of public health nursing nearly vanished. So the pharma companies were asked to create pills, patches and potions that people could take themselves at home! They met that challenge. We have a pill for everything! You need to be half dead to be admitted these days. BUT never before were people with no medical training, no nursing skills, no assessment skills expected to manage something they are not qualified to manage! Babies are under-dosed for fevers because parents don't understand how to calculate the dose! Nearly every febrile infant seizes due to under-dosing of Tylenol. Is that Pharmas fault? Or is it the parents fault? The correct answer is neither! They are not trained for this- so instead of bringing that baby to the ER where a nurse will break the fever the correct way, it was decided to create a faster medication for fever reduction! Enter Motrin elixir! Historically our parents and grandparents took such babies to the doctor! Historically this is the first time we let untrained people manage their illnesses. Now that baby vomits! Is it because Motrin upsets the stomach, or did the baby cry himself into a hernia, or is it an ear infection? So now, if the parent can still think clearly, they bring the febrile, screaming, vomiting baby to the ER and get pissed when we first ask for a list of everything that was already put in the baby and the time of same! How dare we ask such stupid questions? If we don't know what was given and when, we could overdose the baby! By this time the parent is so distressed that they can't give an accurate history. Never before in our history was this done to families! Is this pharmas fault? Now the baby who is smoking hot probably has an infection, so we do cultures to find out which infection. Would you prefer we just guess? If we say we want to admit the baby parents frwak out! Mother's scream at us. Fathers demand we Fix this and for the first time ever historically, we have to do what the parents want or they will sue us! So now, we send the baby home with syrups to be given by parents who have no training in how to do this. Now take that scenerio and switch the infant for a grown adult with a psych disorder, an addiction, and for the first time historically expected to manage his complicated illness. He is expected to be able to perfectly describe his symptoms, side effects and he is eXpected to know drug intersactions while trying to recover, work, and be a productive member of society with no more medical traing than the infant! How do we honestly think this will work out? Is it pharmas fault?? We need to be smarter than this. We need to stop blame shifting. Nobody wants to spend another dime on proper medical care. We have tied doctor's hands! And for the first time ever we have the wrong people in charge of your illness! Your insurance company did not go to medical school and neither did you! Neither did your lawyer! But look who is running the show? Is that Pharmas fault? Surely we have the intelligence to know the correct answer to that one!

friendofafelon
05-06-2011, 10:22 PM
I'm the type of person that won't even pick up a penny in someone's house. On Xanax, I will rob a convenience store. The reason my loved one is going to TDC is thanks to Xanax. He is the most WONDERFUL person until he takes it. It's crazy how it can affect someone so greatly.

crl5231
07-02-2011, 02:56 AM

Oh yeah ur def not alone on this one. My bf has had issues with xanax too. He tells me how disgusted he is with himself when he relapses, and as much as he hates the pills, he also loves them. I hate it, he is a completely different person on them. He doesnt give a shit about anything, but the sober him has one of the biggest hearts I've ever seen!! He is in prison now because of xanax, he got charged with b&e. And he doesnt remember a thing. Woke up in jail and didnt have a clue bout what was going on. Part of his time will be served in a rehabilitation center, so we are really excited about that. I know other poeople who get the same way when they take them, too.

sbdalton
07-04-2011, 07:18 PM
That's one of my husbands doc! He has many.....so mix those with vicodin, alcohol, k2, weed, ghb, you get a total malicious, evil jerk!!! He's in a "therapeutic community" at Hamilton Unit in Bryan, Tx. and this has NOT HELPED HIS WAY OF THINKING, tho before I met him he had already been in SAFP, I SHOULDA KNOWN TO FOLLOW MY BRAIN INSTEAD OF MY HEART AND RUN LIKE HELL WHEN HE KEPT BEGGING ME TO GIVE HIM A CHANCE AND GO OUT WITH HIM.......HE WAS SOBER AT THAT X SO I DID......I WAS STUPID.

jfs
06-07-2012, 07:35 AM
In the wrong hands - Xanax is a sentence in a bottle. I hate those pills and band them from the house.

probedinfl
06-09-2012, 09:03 AM

I am an uwilling xanax expert.

Xanax works very much like alcohol does. Your whole nervous system depends on one nerve cell talking to the one next to it and so forth. They do this by sending a few chemicals that the next one receives. Most of these chemicals act to excite the next nerve down the line.

One of them (at least) called GABA acts the opposite way - it calms the next nerve down the line. It does this by getting snagged on a GABA receptor that resides on a little organ on the nerve cell membrane (or skin) called the chloride ion channel. When it does this, chloride ions are allowed into the nerve cell and they calm it down. This same channel has receptors on it for xanax (and its cousins).

So xanax triggers this chloride ion channel to open and thus calms nerves. Alcohol affects this same channel through a receptor for it.

OK, enough technical stuff.

You know that people drink a lot sometimes and "black out". But they really don't just fall down. They do stuff during the blackout that they just do not remember doing. Same with xanax. All it takes is a little too much.

I am not a drinker. But I have gotten drunk on some occasions and indeed blacked out. I know this because my friends explained to me the next day all the embarrassing things I did which I still, to this day, don't recall at all.

So that's how xanax does it. If you are taking prescription xanax and are used to a certain level of it and stick with your prescribed dose, and if you don't drink while you are using it, you probably won't suffer blackouts. But you still might and not know you did. That is sort of the definition of a blackout.

For example, I was taking xanax for 6 years. Always according to prescription. However, I did go out and drink a little during that time. I didn't notice any blackouts.

But I definitely had one at least. I found out about it months later online. I ran into a friend on facebook. He knew all about my daughter and the school she was in. I assumed it was because is in the business that she is going to school for. A week or 2 later I asked her how she knew this guy. She said she didn't.

So I asked him later online how he knew about my daughter. He said I told him one night at a bar. I have absolutely no recollection of even seeing him at any bar ever. But apparently I did, and it was no casual conversation.

So the blacking out form xanax can be very insidious.

I got off xanax in a rough way. I got a job but couldn't learn how to do it. Very uncharacteristic of me. So I lost that job in 2 months. I panicked and went to my doc to ask if i could get a higher dose of xanax for a month (not realizing it was xanax that caused me to lose the job in the first place, but tha'ts another story). Instead he cut me off cold turkey.

Before I describe what then took place, let me stop a second and tell you why I'm here in the first place.

This is not whining or blaming. It was my abandoning of my usual great care about using any drugs that caused this to happen in the first place. I let my guard down and got punished, but it was me who was careless.

I started xanax 6 years ago because of a stalking situation. I asked the doc for a few a month to get my nerves under control. He would not do that. He inisisted I take Effexor and also take xanax regularly to counteract any anxiety from the Effexor. What did I know? I did research it but the bad effects of xanax are not well-reported. So I did what he said to do.

It worked very well. I got off my ass and took all the steps to rid myself of the jerk.

But xanax doesn't let go so easy.

Over a few years my dosage went up and up. I lost a couple jobs in that time. Employers knew I was on xanax but they had wives on it and didn't see it as a problem. But I am pretty sure it affected my work all along. It is basically like working a little drunk.

When my doc finally cut me off he suggested I go to county detox. I didn't want to do that - I have a house to take care of. So I decided to do it on my own.

What a disaster. For about 20 days I was in this completely insane dream world. Luckily I had a friend who knows about alcohol and xanax addiction and stayed with me. During that stay I was so nuts I thought he stole a credit card (and wrote a note saying he did so !) to the point I called the police. I hung up before reporting it though. I also realized I was so crazy after that that I asked him to take me to the ER, which he did.

After the initial few weeks I was shaking and stuttering for another month.

It took me 2 and a half months to feel anything like normal again.

I found a facebook page for people in benzodiazepine (xanax is one) withdrawal. I was lucky. Some people are in hell for years trying to quit.

Also during the time I was using xanax, I started using oxycodone. Was addicted to a fair amount of that and quit. It was harsh but it was a cake walk compared to quitting xanax. I was a total mess during the last couple years of xanax use and I didn't realize it. I finally ended up arrested for coke possession (how I got here). I assure you none of this would have happened without the xanax, now that I look back on it. But it has.

I won't touch a benzodiazepine with a ten foot pole now. the ONLY way I will is inside a hospital for a surgery. I have a bad reaction to propofol, the other drug they use to sedate.

I view benzodiazepines as seriously dangerous drugs. They are on schedule III, but after what I went through I think they should be on schedule II and maybe not even allowed at all. And I am far, far from being an anti-drug person in general.

As to stealing things while on them. Absloutely. I am not inclined to steal things so I seriously doubt I ever did. I have nothing to show for it if it happened. But the friend who stayed with me during my detox told me of a friend in another state who would take xanax and then wake up the next day with his apartment full of electronic things. He didn't recall how they had gotten there.