View Full Version : New TB exposures at Solano

Eyeswife
06-27-2008, 05:02 PM
I know this may sound dumb but whats T.B. Do you mean like Tuberculosis? I am confused!!:confused:

scca
06-27-2008, 05:29 PM
yes that is what they are talking about

I know this may sound dumb but whats T.B. Do you mean like Tuberculosis? I am confused!!:confused:

Eyeswife
06-27-2008, 05:31 PM
So how are they going to protect our loved ones from getting it!! This is HORRIBLE!!

PTO-110524
06-27-2008, 05:37 PM
The best thing for them to do is quarantine as they have in the past. Seems like Solano has had issues with TB for months now. They'll quarantine, do skin tests on anyone who may have come in contact with the inmate who has the active TB and then they'll treat anyone who tests positive.

I believe they had to do this back in March or April also. Bummer that it means losing your visits though.

AllyM
06-27-2008, 05:38 PM
TB is Tuberculosis... it's a attacks the lungs, a lot of coughing and it's contagious.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuberculosis

I heard or saw in a thread somewhere that they close visiting at Solano sometimes because of it. :mad:

What alifezwife said above!!!! <<<------Thank you!

The skin test takes a couple of days to read. They inject a serum (called PPD) under the skin then go back and check it in a few days to see if there's a reaction.

AllyM
06-27-2008, 05:58 PM

I'm sorry I wasn't clear! My mom's a nurse so this stuff is just 2nd nature to me... I didn't realize not everyone is up on the medical stuff! My BAD! :ham:

cnk
06-27-2008, 06:07 PM
This sure seems to be happening a lot at Solano. If it isn't one thing it's another. :mad:

LadyBaby
06-27-2008, 07:01 PM
I've been told that TB is just an excuse they use when they (the administration there) are mad at the inmates. Lately, there have been a lot of fights, and due to the fights there everyone is on lockdown. I spoke with a few of the inmates today that said they did not hear anything about a tb outbreak, and if there had been, the inmates should be the first to know. I spoke with lt wamble and when I asked if visiting was closed for testing or for an actual case, he said...."uh, um both, heeheehee..." go figure.... They just had the normal annual testing less than two months ago...

jmbaby
06-27-2008, 07:31 PM
Sorry folks.

Got a call just now ALL VISITING CANCELED AT SOLANO THIS WEEKEND, DUE TO T.B.

Confirmed by Visiting line updated today @ 1:30.

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:( :(:(:(

AGAIN!!!! :angry::angry::angry: This is the third time this year. I'm telling you I think that is just an excuse they are using to cover the real reason for the lockdown. Seems like everything went down the drain since Captain Peck arrived to Solano. He wants our loved ones to suffer and not have "fun." Whatever that means!!!
:angry::angry::angry: I wonder if there will be visits for the Forth of July weekend? I do feel sorry for those who flew from out of town or drove from far away. If anyone else hears anything, keep us posted. Thanks!!

cnk
06-27-2008, 07:39 PM
I am over 500 miles away and this is one reason I haven't seen my husband in a year. He just told me to cancel my visit plans for July because we don't want to risk spending all that money and effort only to face another lock down. I miss him so much...:( It's hard enough to travel there health-wise and financially, especially since he wants me to travel with family so I won't be alone. We used to visit every weekend....

jmbaby
06-27-2008, 07:53 PM
I am over 500 miles away and this is one reason I haven't seen my husband in a year. He just told me to cancel my visit plans for July because we don't want to risk spending all that money and effort only to face another lock down. I miss him so much...:( It's hard enough to travel there health-wise and financially, especially since he wants me to travel with family so I won't be alone. We used to visit every weekend....

I'm 90 minutes away from Vacaville, even then, its hard to visit on a regular basis. Like you, health wise and finances make it hard to visit. I had not seen my sweetie since December of last year. I went to visit in May. They terminated my visit after 2 hours. Their excuse for terminating our visit was that only if i had not visted in 6 months or traveled over 250 miles was the only way not to get our visit terminated. CNK, I hope you get to visit you husband soon. It just seems that there's a lot of lockdown during the summer.

cnk
06-27-2008, 08:19 PM
Yes, the only (and I do mean only) good thing about traveling so far to visit is not getting terminated. :(

missaxxoo
06-28-2008, 02:05 AM
I drove 7 1/2 hours there and 8 hrs back today and am just making it back home!! I was so dissapointed that visiting was cancelled, and it sucks because we call rhis morning before we left at 5:30 am. Does anyone have ant idea how long these lockdowns lasts? I'm still kinda new to having a loved 1 @ Solano.:angry:

cnk
06-28-2008, 02:23 AM
I'm so sorry that happened to you. As for lock downs--we had one that lasted a month not long ago. And that was a few days after one that lasted over a week. Things have been pretty unsettled lately. As you know, yard 2 was already down. Now they are saying there is a TB problem (and we have had several of those lately too) I don't know what to tell you about planning a trip. I am over 500 miles away and haven't seen my husband in a year. I had planned to go up in July but he told me this week to cancel my plans because things are so volatile right now. Frankly, with everything I know and the way my husband is feeling I'm afraid we may be in for a bad summer. Also the integration plan is supposed to start in July and that may cause problems too.

I guess you will just have to keep in touch with this forum to know what's going on but that really won't help you if you are on the road and something goes down. We do try to keep one another informed. Sorry about your long trip for nothing.

AllyM
06-28-2008, 07:11 AM
I drove 7 1/2 hours there and 8 hrs back today and am just making it back home!! I was so dissapointed that visiting was cancelled, and it sucks because we call rhis morning before we left at 5:30 am. Does anyone have ant idea how long these lockdowns lasts? I'm still kinda new to having a loved 1 @ Solano.:angry:

I am so very sorry for you. I can only imagine the heartache and frustration you are feeling!

My understand is that one guy off the bus this week tested positive for TB. That's what the CO's are telling the guys.

So my assumption is that now they have to test everyone that he has had contact with and so on. The test takes about 3 days to read, so depending on how many come up positive will dictate how long it will be before things go back to normal.

As someone posted above; we only know what they tell us and we'll never really know exactly the truth... it's CDC. I do know, that if it's true that someone in there does have TB, this is the best thing for them to do, it really isn't an illness to mess around with.

Again, my heart goes out to you and all of those who have had such a disappointing experience over this!

Blessings, Ally

edsbaby
06-28-2008, 10:05 AM
For some reason Solano has a long history of TB issues. This has been going on for years. My husband was there back in 2002-2005 and Sol would be on lockdown 2-3 times a year. But it would only last about a week. They have to check everyone including staff.

missaxxoo
06-28-2008, 03:57 PM
Thanx ladies for all the support and info, I'm feeling better today. I'm really glad that I found this site, it's such a comfort to be able to have people to relate to. You all take care, hopefully it was just that one person to have it!

AllyM
06-28-2008, 10:53 PM
Thanx ladies for all the support and info, I'm feeling better today. I'm really glad that I found this site, it's such a comfort to be able to have people to relate to. You all take care, hopefully it was just that one person to have it!

Actually missaxxoo, I conferred with my resident nurse (nurse walker, my 71 year old mom) and she said that very likely what happened is that someone tested a false positive. So maybe nobody has it.

What happens with TB is that when someone has been exposed in the past they can test positive but not have it. Those individuals then need to have a chest x-ray to confirm that they don't in fact have it. It's quite common in people who come from 3 world countries where there are higher instances of the disease.

So hopefully the person that tested positive had a false positive and things will move along faster.

Blessings, Ally

AllyM
06-30-2008, 04:06 PM
When I spoke to my man at noon he said he was just given the test serum about a 1/2 hour ago. He said they are testing them all.

LadyBaby
06-30-2008, 04:46 PM
Yeah I spoke to one of the inmates as well and he said he had just gotten tested (by a not-so-good "rn" --:() and that he was still "leaking" blood. He said that everyone is going to be tested. I was able to make an appointment for a non-contact visit for July 6 though and was told to call back Friday for confirmation.

PTO-110524
06-30-2008, 05:25 PM
He was bleeding after a PPD??? OMG - it's only supposed to be injected just under the skin. WOW - i guess that RN was pretty horrible!!

AllyM
06-30-2008, 05:51 PM
He was bleeding after a PPD??? OMG - it's only supposed to be injected just under the skin. WOW - i guess that RN was pretty horrible!!

Yeah that's "all bad" as my guy would say! Yikes!

DeeNGee
06-30-2008, 06:56 PM
Ladies....do you guys think July 4th weekend will be cancelled?????? I am all ready to go, but I'm scared.

AllyM
06-30-2008, 09:44 PM
Ladies....do you guys think July 4th weekend will be cancelled?????? I am all ready to go, but I'm scared.

My man and I discussed this when he called a little while ago. They have to read all the TB tests they did today in about 3 days. Then they have to test all the staff and read their tests too.

They didn't go out to yard all day today either... modified program, not sure what that's about.

I'm pretty concerned myself. Hang in there! That's all we can do.

Blessings,

Ally

LadyBaby
07-01-2008, 09:13 AM

Right, an INjection...that's why he was soooo angry:angry:! The "tb" needle is thicker than the normal needle used to "take" blood too, so I KNOW it had to have been irritating...

missaxxoo
07-01-2008, 08:40 PM
Hi laides, hope everyone is doing ok with all this going on with our loved ones. I talked to my man last night and he gave me a heads up that there is someone in his dorm that has been on meds for TB. All of the guys there were tested yesterday and should get results by tomarrow. He was pretty pissed because he said the inmate didn't give any of the guys a heads up that he's being treated for it. Crazy huh. So now all these guys can do is wait. I'm really worried, and just praying everything goes well for all of them in there.:confused:

setvasq
07-01-2008, 10:22 PM
heLLo ladies, weLL i spoke to my husband, and he said that they sent him back to his house from work because the CO's are getting shoots and being tested as weLL. there was a rumor that a CO's had tested positive .. to many thing happening there.. ERRRR. we are all worried for our love ones. thanks for all the 411.. ladies..

PTO-110524
07-02-2008, 09:24 AM
When an inmate is taking meds for TB it only means he tested positive on his skin test. It does NOT mean he has active TB, which is the ONLY WAY it can be passed to others.

Lt. Wamble has stated that the men who have ACTIVE TB are in the infirmary and are not in housing units.

Just FYI. :thumbsup:

PTO-110524
07-02-2008, 09:27 AM
I'm creating this thread and moving all the threads on the TB issue here. :thumbsup:

missaxxoo
07-02-2008, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the info. That sounds a whole lot better. If anyone gets anymore updates let us all know. I know we are all concerned for the health of our loved ones.

13lazyboy
07-07-2008, 10:37 AM
My husband was tested and it's all good. He said all sureņos where tested at the same time and cleared.

sxycali209
07-10-2008, 11:42 AM
Hey everyone click on this link and read what there saying about the T.B. testing at Solano. It seems that this has been an ongoing problem with this certain prison. My husband was just tested last year around September and they checked again in March. What is there problem that they cant get this thing under control. Also the ones that are infected are not getting the proper treatments. Something needs to be done. Its just gonna be a vicious cycle.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-prison9-2008jul09,0,5893607.story

wendy tyler
07-10-2008, 01:53 PM
sxycali, the link was regarding Hepatitis C.

PTO-110524
07-10-2008, 05:00 PM
Yeah, I'm confused too. The entire story is about Hep C. Not that I don't think the inmates at Solano don't have a case regarding the TB exposures also, but this news story is regarding Hep C in the entire prison system. :thumbsup: