View Full Version : YIKES Gave in to a craving

mrsdragoness
11-22-2003, 07:58 PM
Since I was diagnosed with diabetes last week I have been working really hard to eat right, but for the past 3 days I have been CRAVING a Big Mac, Fries and a Coke.

Well earlier tonight I gave in, drove up to Mickey D's and not only got the works, I bought an apple pie to go with it. Then I came right home and gourged on the whole thing before the guilt hit in. Everything tasted wonderfully except the Coke was too sweet :D.

And Wouldn't you know, as I was taking my last bite the phone rang and of course it was my husband calling at an off time. I swear the man is psychic sometimes!

SO, not only am I dealing with the sick feeling all that food gave me, I had to listen to the wrath of the Dragon for 10 minutes... luckily he spent the last 5 minutes of the call telling me how much he loves me.

I need HELP..... those of you who have to watch what you eat.... how do you deal with the cravings?

mrs. d

deb
11-22-2003, 08:07 PM
Find something else that you can have that helps with the cravings.... For instance we had to switch to less than 20 grams of fat per day in our house a number of years ago. I found things that were fat free or low fat but still sweet etc.. that the kids liked for treats... Good luck!

Deb

TNC
11-22-2003, 08:09 PM
Oh Mrs D I feel for ya. I have never been diagnosed (sp) with diabetes, but I'm sure with my weight going up the way it is I'm headed down that road. Actually it worries me, but I dont know how to change things now. I like carbs. I like the foods that I cant have. Not to mention it costs more to eat healthy food. If you ever find out the trick to this whole eating thing then please let me know.

mrsdragoness
11-22-2003, 08:28 PM
Thanks!! I spent 3 hours at Super Walmart the other day going thru the grocery aisles, reading everything that looked healthy! I found some great low carb, low sugar spreads and bought sugar free jello to help those times when I JUST have to eat.

I'm trying to get the hang of this but its NOT easy. Finding low or now sugar stuff is easy...its the carbs that I'm fighting with. I LOVE carbs and I know its THAT craving thats giving me the hardest time.

I'm going to make an appointment with a dietician...hopefully I can get lots of help there!

mrs. d

grasshopper
11-22-2003, 08:35 PM
if you hold out long enough the cravings will subside. (but then if you indulge they come right back) and diabetes doesn't mean you never get to have anything, it just means you have to balance it out so that you don't go overboard... say one huge binge at mickey d's, lol... and throw your blood sugar off. My sister has been diabetic since she was 6 and she's 3 yrs older than me, so I have seen how the process works my whole life. The one thing you really have to remember is to ALWAYS have glucose and (if you're insulin dependant) insulin on your person. It doesn't do much good to have it out in the car if your blood sugar drops down too low and you can't remember where the car is.
Funny, I read the posts on here about the guys who call at just the 'right' times, lol, but mine seems to have similar timing to yours... when I don't want to get caught not working, he always calls. (but then I am so seldom working that is not a hard one I guess.) :)
Oh yeah, and I think my sister solves some of her cravings by substituing something not sweet but still a treat to her, like seafood. But she doesn't have a weight problem (I don't know if that is an issue for you) since she has type I diabetes.

TNC
11-22-2003, 08:37 PM
Let me know when you figure out how to beat the carb craving. I love breads, pasta and potatoes. I live in IDAHO where spuds have been a way of life from birth. Pasta and pastry are my favorite.

I once tried the adkins diet for about 2 weeks and I admit I did feel much better when I gave up carbs. It was hard, but I did it. I broke when we had a potluck at work one day. I just havent been able to get back on track since.

LeaAnn
11-22-2003, 10:23 PM
Mrs. D as soon as I read this I knew there was a Coke involved in the mix. Being recently diagnosed myself I'll admit it's very hard to change eating habits etc. Maybe every once in a great while might be okay. Take care and do not forget to send me the recipes.

jojo71
11-22-2003, 11:11 PM
Hey...got an idea...when those evil "cravings" hit...just go shopping...LOL!!! No...really...I do know how hard it is...seems even harder when one "has" to give up certain things cuz of health...since my horrible "gallbladder" ordeal...I have really been having to watch what I eat as certain foods will trigger terrible pain...UGH!!! This is gonna sound really,really bad but...since I am already a smoker...when certain cravings hit...I just smoke instead...yeah...I know...one addiction for another...SIGH!!! Anywayz...good luck with all this...I know you are sooo strong and you will eventually learn how to overcome the cravings...smile!!!:)

lovinbilly4ever
11-22-2003, 11:19 PM
i use to go to a...she..well...it was through my gym...cost like $250 for 3 months...and they basically work w/you on your eating habits..what they gave me was this journal (i only used it for like 2 months until i stopped using it). but basically were to write down everything we ate or drank..at the time of day...how much of that item we had..and see if there was a pattern when we ate & how much. well, i just like bread's..cheese's...soda..that type of stuff. so i cut the bread to like 2 times a week, had to cut out my cheese. i stopped drinking (cut back on almost all of the soda intake)..and i started to eat better. more chicken, vegies..green's...etc.

my stepdad has diabetes...although you wouldnt know it w/the way he eats. he just takes some pills each day..and off he goes...he does eat sweets, but his PORTION SIZES are SMALL (like my mom gives him this tiny ass piece of cake or pie...instead of a huge piece).

but good luck. ill ask my mom on monday what kind of food he eats (cause their house..really its filled w/so much crap food).

1 more thing, i remember the chick that i was working with...(on my crappy eating) she said that it usually takes about 6 weeks AFTER you start to change the foods you eat..that it actually STICKS & it becomes more like habit to eat good food rather then eating bad food's. if that makes sense

Emilios heart
11-22-2003, 11:39 PM
Changing eatting habits is not easy. Since August I have lost about 35 pounds on LA weight loss. It hasn't been easy I have about 45 lbs. to go to my goal. Good luck.

MsAloha1018
11-23-2003, 12:23 AM
I've found that Weight Watchers worked very well for me. I was at 260 pounds in April then joined a group that meets at the hospital where I work at. Last month (October) before I got a nasty cold preceeded by 3 weeks of migraines I was down to 220, a 40 pound loss. I had to relearn how to eat, started to exercise about 2-3 times a week and had my group for support. And my fellow group members gave me tips on what desserts I could eat with low points---enjoyment with very little guilt (I SWEAR BY SILOUHETTE SKINNY COWS!)

So I went from size 24 to between sizes 20-18. It wasn't easy, it was very hard work and trust me when I say that I got MAJOR cravings. My blood sugar went down, so did my triglycerides, which almost gave my doc an orgasm (heeheehee!!!) But the best thing about WW was the GROUP SUPPORT! However, you have certain dietary challenges due to your diabetes. Definitely check with your primary care physician before you begin a diet or exercise regimen (I'm sure you already have).

Good luck, with whatever method works for you. P.S. For some reason, I have cravings for CRISP, FRIED BACON...

B-Ray
11-23-2003, 02:04 AM
Learn to use spices and herbs to make what would otherwise taste blan to have some flavor. If things taste good, what you have cut out won't be missed or at least not as bad at first.

In fact, I now find eating out is not so enjoyable as it once was because the lack of flavor.

My downfall is fried foods!

flygirlaa2
11-23-2003, 03:40 AM
After starting the Atkins diet, I lost my sugar cravings in about 10 days. After that it was actually easy to resist. Now breaking the habit is harder. I posted in the diet group where I would still go out and BUY this junk but then get home and not eat it!

Rostonhall
11-23-2003, 10:02 AM
I gave up smoking two months ago and I seem to have replaced the nicotine cravings with one for chocolate and, during that time I visited Tony for 10days and was eating far too much out of the vending machines. I'm so ashamed of myself now because I've put on 10lbs since I quit the cigarettes and I'd taken off nearly 60lbs over the last year.

Mrs D I know this isn't helping you and I do sympathize with your situation. I think it's easier over here as there are so many products in the shops especially for diabetics from jello to boxes of chocolates. Also, and I say this from experience with shopping in the US supermarkets, I think we are quite a bit more health conscious with so many produsct being low fat or fat free and low in sodium. I'm always so shocked when I start looking at the contents on packages when I'm over there. And I can't believe the sodas that all contain caffeine!!

Hope you can sort something out soon and I'm sure it will get easier. Incidentally, the diet I am on (or will get back to) I can eat at much pasta and potatoes as I want and still lose weight. But, that's no good for you, is it? Not when you have to watch the carbs.

Rose

montysgirl
11-23-2003, 05:29 PM
I swear by Dr. Phil. The key for me is to replace the cravings and eating with incompatible behaviors. For example, when I start craving sweets, I guzzle down a bottle of water instead. By the time I finish the water, I'm way too full for the cookies. Another thing I do is wear a rubber band around my wrist. When I catch myself thinking about snacking, I pop the rubberband against my wrist. The physical pain replaces the thoughts of food.

girasol
11-23-2003, 07:31 PM
My grandma had diabetes and never changed her eatting habits and I saw first-hand the consequences. It's not a good way, but it reminds me to take care of myself, when it comes to my food. I know exercise is great for my moods and helps increase my positivity, as far I feel better about myself and feel I have more control over the situations I am in. Good thoughts for you..

mrsdragoness
11-25-2003, 09:29 AM
Thanks for all the support and the suggestions!!! I'm back on track. I'm really not having any problem leaving the sugar alone...its the CARBS that are tough to leave alone. Almost EVERYTHING has carbs in it!

I go back to the doctor tomorrow and I'm going to have them set me up with a dietician so I can get some menu help also!

Sally

TNC
11-25-2003, 09:45 AM
Well Mrs D your not the only one who has CARB trouble. I love my carbs, but they hate me. Yes it is very hard to find food with little or no carbs. I would love to hear what kind of menu the dietician sets you up with if you dont mind sharing.

MRSMAZE
11-25-2003, 09:56 AM
Mrs. D,

I am 31 and have had Type 2 diabetes for four-years and I take Actos and Glocovance twice a day. I started the Atkins diet two and a half weeks ago and have lost nine pounds and more importantly my blood sugar has dropped about 150 points from 350 to around 100-150, (if I cheat a little). When I have a sweet craving I eat a little bowl of the canned whipped topping, very low in carbs and diet jello.

Drink diet soda made with Splenda because asparteme is know to induce carb cravings and stall weight loss. Losing 10% of your body weight can help your diabetes. I am 5"8 and I need to lose about fifty pounds, and I am an extreme carbohydrate addict. Moderation is the key and portion size is also very important. Atkins is an extremely controversial diet but in my case it has lowered my blood sugar dramatically.

Good Luck...Joy

Joanna
11-25-2003, 10:29 AM
Oh god I know how that feels Mrs D, I normally avoid the kitchen for a start and then I go get my pair of pants I still have when I was slimmer and look at the little waist line LOL

mrsdragoness
11-25-2003, 02:19 PM
Thanks Joy!!

I'm going to ask about the Atkins Diet and about those Carb Blockers that are coming out on the market.

I'm just drinking water for now and an occasional small glass of OJ... I don't like the taste of diet pop and nutrasweet does give me a headache so I'm just staying away from them.

I will definitely share the information I get from the dietician. I'm not sure if my insurance will pay for regular visits, but I'm going to shoot for going as often as I can.

mrs. d