View Full Version : Valley Fever Lawsuit

kima
06-27-2008, 12:44 AM
Does anyone have info on lawsuits or attorneys that represent Valley Fever prisoners? My guy contracted it TWICE, was never moved from the facility where he got it the first time, went through all the medical treatments, was told he couldn't get it again...wrong. He got it a second time, was moved (for other reasons) and now there is a nodule in his lung that is supposed to be monitored. We're still not sure if it's the VF again or lung cancer. Anyway, any info on lawyers that would represent a medical case, or if you know of other such lawsuits, would be greatly appreciated.

(Side note- has anyone known of an inmate that had VF treatments that are also Hep C positive? From the medical info I could find, the treatment for VF can damage already debilated livers. Again, I'd be grateful for any info).

GsMom
06-27-2008, 08:01 AM
From what I've heard once you get it you never get rid of it. My husband has it. He picked it up working in the Fresno area. We were told by his doctor all we can do is treat the symptoms. If you Google it there is quite a bit of info on it. There are even a couple of posts here @ PrisonTalk on it too!
Good luck. I Googled it for you and here are some hits:http://www.google.com/search?q=valley+fever+lawsuits+CA+&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7ADBF

SGT Anonymous
06-27-2008, 06:57 PM
From my understanding of it you never really get rid of Valley Fever but it can flare back up. It is a fungus that lives in the soil in the San Joaquin Valley. Anyone in the San Joaquin Valley can get it. Once you have it you are treated with antifungal medication that can be hard on your liver. Basically our body beats it into submission but can't get rid of it for good but if you inhale another big chunk of it or become immune compromised, it can overcome your bodies defenses and kick back up.

2sleepy
06-27-2008, 10:35 PM
My son said in CSATF they are transferring guys who have chronic lung problems, I guess they are more vulnerable to the worst effects if they contract it.

Violet007
08-23-2009, 03:37 PM
Kima, 2 yrs after leaving Avenal - my son (now in centinela) is showing a "lump" in his lung. I'm guessing it's valley fever. They are "monitoring.." and yes, Hep C. Did you ever find out more about all this? I can see this post is old..but...
Thanks,
Does anyone have info on lawsuits or attorneys that represent Valley Fever prisoners? My guy contracted it TWICE, was never moved from the facility where he got it the first time, went through all the medical treatments, was told he couldn't get it again...wrong. He got it a second time, was moved (for other reasons) and now there is a nodule in his lung that is supposed to be monitored. We're still not sure if it's the VF again or lung cancer. Anyway, any info on lawyers that would represent a medical case, or if you know of other such lawsuits, would be greatly appreciated.

(Side note- has anyone known of an inmate that had VF treatments that are also Hep C positive? From the medical info I could find, the treatment for VF can damage already debilated livers. Again, I'd be grateful for any info).

kima
08-23-2009, 08:22 PM
Kima, 2 yrs after leaving Avenal - my son (now in centinela) is showing a "lump" in his lung. I'm guessing it's valley fever. They are "monitoring.." and yes, Hep C. Did you ever find out more about all this? I can see this post is old..but...
Thanks,
I'll pm you soon...

Mystic_33
08-26-2009, 10:54 PM
My boyfriend got Valley fever too while in Delano he is ok but has a lot of pain in his body.