View Full Version : Need Texas Help ~ how to get husband moved closer to home

06-23-2008, 08:21 AM
Who do I need to write to get my husband moved closer to home. Someone said they wrote to their local goverment. Who's ours here in Texas so I can write them two letters a day.:p

06-23-2008, 10:25 AM
The only way to get him moved closer to home is if he has a family member that is ill and unable to travel long trips. You get a letter from their dr stating their illness' and their physical condtion on why they can not travel. it is called a hardship letter. then you give it to your husband and he has to submit (i can't remember who) but he can ask around and find out. we were denied and his mom is very ill. but it is not a guarntee.

06-24-2008, 05:44 PM
abrister is correct. It is hard to get done but I have heard of it being approved occasionally. I hope you get approval.

06-24-2008, 08:21 PM
I'm never heard of an inmate requesting a hardship transfer but what I was told at the PACT conference by Becky Price (the lady who is over the moves/classification in Huntsville) was that you have to have a letter from a immediate family member's doctor as Abrister said and live over 200 miles away from the unit. If you meet those requirements then the person requesting his hardship transfer sends the letter to Becky Price (or attn: Classification) in Huntsville. They will decide whether it will be approved or not. Keep in mind though that it has to be over 200 miles according to the Texas Mileage Guide NOT Mapquest or Google Maps. They are different.

Another alternative, that has worked for my husband, has been to submit the same letter to your state representative (still have to live over 200 miles away from the unit). My husband's family did this for him years ago. They sent the letter on a Monday and he caught chain to a unit closer within days. So that is an option as well.

Hope this helps. Take care.

doc's honeee
06-25-2008, 05:19 AM
We filed for a transfer, his mom is elderly and ill. He was moved a little closer, but there were only two facility choices for parole, so that was more important.
This is a really helpful link:

06-25-2008, 07:00 AM
There is also a possibility of having someone moved closer via an educational course, be it college or vocational. This takes a little research, time and effort..but it is possible.

Good luck


06-25-2008, 09:58 AM
Dan-I'd forgotten about that! When/if they are approved for the educational transfer do they go back to the original unit once they're done with whatever class they take?

06-25-2008, 10:24 AM
As long as they dont catch any cases or cause issues, and don't request to go back, generally not. I finished college about 6 months before my discharge, but was never sent back to my original unit of assignment. I suppose it could be different now, maybe someone with some more recent experience will chime in here.

Peace, Dan

06-25-2008, 01:11 PM
ReggiesLady, What did you all say in the letter. My husband is about 10 hours away I would think that was more than 200 miles. Please let me know what has to be said in the letter so they wont ignore it.

kevin's wife
10-15-2008, 11:24 AM
Im in texas! Well my husband got a HARDSHIP TRANSFER last year and now he's only 30 minutes away! They cannot get you a hardship transfer until he is out of transfer status, about 2 years after he gets to TDC... i found this information on the TDC website and this is exactly what i did, so get your info and mail it to this address:

This is from the tdc website:

What is the process for requesting a hardship transfer?

Special consideration for transfer may be made when an offender’s family has medical problems limiting the ability to travel long distances. To apply for this special consideration you need to obtain a letter from the attending doctor stating the medical problems and how it impacts the ability to travel. This should be verifiable and preferably on the doctor’s letterhead. If the offender is in a privately operated state jail facility and is a state jail confinee, attach the doctor’s letter to your letter requesting a hardship transfer and mail it to the Correctional Institutions Division Director, P.O. Box 99, Huntsville, Texas, 77342. Although submitting a request does not guarantee the offender will be moved to a unit closer to the family, you can be assured that the agency will give careful consideration to the request.

$y$tem Failed
11-04-2008, 01:34 PM
Abrister is right. That is what we did for my stepfather. It took about 6 weeks for the whole process. Start it now cuz they don't get in a hurry!