View Full Version : Rape in Florida Prisons?

hypnoticgg
11-21-2003, 02:10 AM
I just wanted to know, if anyone knows the rape ratio in Florida Prisons? Do these happen frequently here or are they just on TV and in upstate prisons?

aprilcat
11-21-2003, 06:10 PM
hypno ~ i'm sure rape happens in most prisons. i have no idea what the ratio is, but i know amnesty international did a study on rape in texas prisons a year or so ago, and their report is at their website. i'm fairly sure that no doc would ever report on such a thing...it's most likely "closeted". ac

girasol
11-21-2003, 09:21 PM
Rapes can only be reported by the victim. In most cases, I would assume they are too humiliated/ashamed to do so, which I think anyone can understand. I would be interestd in that ratio, if you found it. Sam told me it's not as common as you see it on TV.

Mike
11-22-2003, 07:57 PM
I've asked my pen pals about it. Not on a personal level (as if to ask if they personally have been raped) but, like, just statistically. They all say things like "We don't talk about it." So it seems to be closeted, as ac said. I also have heard vague comments like, "It's not as common as the media says," and "it only happens if you let it," and so on. :confused:

ard
11-23-2003, 07:47 PM
rape happens in every jail system in florida
the national average is 9-12% having been raped more then 9 times ...
texas's average is 1 in 5 prisoners ...with prisoners saying it is closer to 1 in 3 ..... jailers claim 1 in 8..(ya texas jails being open :pissed: )
a childhood friend who did a 12 bit in florida says the only thing people dont talk about is how drugs get into jails and if they had been raped !!!
he once told me when he was drunk that he thinks over 75% have had some kind of act forced on them!!!!
now this is coming from a man who is 5'7 and is about 210 lbs of all muscle ...

please feel free to look up the nclu ??? web site i beleive they have stats on this

CathyFL
11-24-2003, 05:19 AM
My son has never mentioned rape but has mentioned alot of men turn gay only in prison.

rakaha
11-26-2003, 02:22 PM
These are the two great mysteries of prison, to me. 1) Why do the authorities make no real effort to prevent drugs from getting in, or to prevent inmates from being raped. And 2) Why do inmates treat each other so badly? They have a great deal of influence over whether their environment will be hellish or not, why do they gravitate toward the hellish direction?

spyda
11-26-2003, 09:19 PM
The dont ask dont tell thing happens here just like the military and the sad part is the two (prison and military) seem to go hand in hand.