View Full Version : 65% of federal time????

dianna4444
06-13-2008, 07:32 PM
i was told that now in a federal prison you only have to do 65% of your time? is there any truth to this? my son on his presentence report says they recommend 132 months, is it possible that he can get less? or do most judges do what the presentence report says???? my son has been in a state prison before for buglarizing garages when he was 18, met someone who infulenced him to do drugs, trafficing mary jane, but no violence ever, no wepons, he will do the drug program to get a year off, and i think he is eleigle for halfway house isnt all persons eligible for that? but i want to know is the good time credit 35% of his sentence? only has to serve 65%? he is now being held in a jail until he gets sentenced on july 22nd, and someone from a federal prison told him he only has to do 65% but i cant find anything that will confirm this. also is it possible after he gets sentenced that he can self surrender? and do you have any recommendations that can be done to try to help him come home even if only for a day? any help would be appreciated... thank you

PTO-97580
06-13-2008, 08:20 PM
No truth to that rumor. It's 85 % in federal. With that long of a sentence and if he is being held pre sentence it is highly unlikely he will get to self surrender. Sorry but thats the truth of the matter

dianna4444
06-13-2008, 08:58 PM
thank you, i appreciate your honesty..... no way to convince judge? to let him come home?

bshug4u
06-13-2008, 09:33 PM
my son somewhat same story. good boy finished high school/into 2 yes college influenced by others. on drugs. never took anything in his life /180 months. i wish there was parole again. maybe hope in new administration

greyghost
06-14-2008, 08:27 AM
There are a lot of good people in prison, good people who must made some stupid mistakes. God knows where I'd be if I had to pay for everything that I did stupid.

As it is said.... "But for the grace of God go I"

sscared
06-14-2008, 02:02 PM
My Husbands Psi Report Said Recommended Time Was 87 To 108 Months...he Got 57 Months For A White Collar Crime (and Was Supposed To Get Way Less Because The Prosecutor Offered 24 But Our Attorney Never Told Us!!!!) Anyway...write Letters To The Judge...our Judge Got Them The Day Of Sentencing But I Know In Some Cases They Help A Lot...they Just Need To Get To The Judge On Time...they Shouldnt Pertain To The Case But Rather To Your Son And His Characteristics...the More Letters The Better...i Believe They Need To Be Given To The Attorney And He Is Responsible For Getting Them To The Judge...good Luck!

perditionsghost
06-14-2008, 05:16 PM
That's so strange because at our visit today my fiance mentioned something about the 65%. Wonder where that's coming from?

PTO-97580
06-14-2008, 05:49 PM
That's so strange because at our visit today my fiance mentioned something about the 65%. Wonder where that's coming from?

That rumor has been going around for 20 years

greyghost
06-14-2008, 05:59 PM
And it'll be going around for another 20.

That is unless it reall happens..........:rolleyes: one day......

mybabysbabe
06-14-2008, 06:16 PM
yup my boyfriend was told the same thing when he first went in too.....pretty cruel. I bet it was started by the bop just to mess with our loved ones heads.....

ADXDUNGEON
06-18-2008, 01:30 AM
And it'll be going around for another 20.

That is unless it reall happens..........:rolleyes: one day......

Yeah, Congress won't ever tinker with that now that crime rates are lower in some areas. They'll just point to the 85% as proof that it's working.

There was also another rumor going around for MANY YEARS that good time was going to be double to 108 days but it's just a fictional rumor.

lostgirl_101
01-19-2009, 12:11 PM
I am new to this, and I was searching the web when I found this page. I was looking for more information about Obama reducing federal time. My husband told me he heard once Obama is in the whitehouse all he needs to do is sign for the federal time reduction. Time will go from 85% to 65% if he agrees to sign. Does anyone have any information about this?:confused:

bellisq
01-19-2009, 12:36 PM
To change good time credit takes a bill from Congress, which just reconvened. I am sure it is not going to be the first thing they do, but there will be a push for the 65% change. When? I think the economy and the war are first, and who knows what other emergencies are awaiting the government. So the answer is no, but maybe eventually. Then there will still be the issue of retroactivity, will it just be for sentences in the future, or earlie?.

Anybody wanting this chnge to happen needs to join FedCure and/or FAMM and get to work. They badly need money and volunteers.

JDOrtegasbaby
01-21-2009, 10:36 AM
My cuz has been down 11 years ... and he jsut brought up this 65% thing and told me to look into it .... sounded too good to be true.... appreciate the help ladies.

ant's wife
01-21-2009, 10:42 AM
it's called the federal work incentive act of 2008 it hasn't been signed yet

ant's wife
01-21-2009, 10:44 AM
A BILL

To amend title 18, United States Code, to restore the former system of good time allowances toward service of Federal prison terms, and for other purposes.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,
SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Federal Prison Work Incentive Act of 2008'.
SEC. 2. RESTORATION OF FORMER GOOD TIME SYSTEM.

(a) In General- Part III of title 18, United States Code, is amended by inserting after chapter 307 the following:
`CHAPTER 309--GOOD TIME ALLOWANCES

`Sec.

`4161. Computation generally.

`4162. Industrial good time.

`4163. Discharge.

`4164. Forfeiture for offense.

`4165. Restoration of forfeited commutation.

`Sec. 4161. Computation generally

`(a) Each prisoner convicted of an offense against the United States and confined in a penal or correctional institution for a definite term other than for life, whose record of conduct shows that the prisoner has substantially observed all regulations promulgated by the Director of the Bureau of Prisons and has not been subjected to punishment, shall be entitled to a deduction from the term of his sentence imposed beginning with the day on which the sentence commences to run, and including time served in pretrial confinement, as follows:

`(1) 5 days for each month of the sentence, if the sentence is not less than 6 months and not more than 1 year.

`(2) 6 days for each month of the sentence, if the sentence is more than 1 year and less than 3 years.

`(3) 7 days for each month of the sentence, if the sentence is not less than 3 years and less than 5 years.

`(4) 8 days for each month of the sentence, if the sentence is not less than 5 years and less than 10 years.

`(5) 10 days for each month of the sentence, if the sentence is 10 years of more.

`(b) When 2 or more consecutive sentences are to be served, the aggregate of the several sentences shall be the basis upon which the deduction shall be computed.
`Sec. 4162. Industrial good time

`(a) A prisoner may, in the discretion of the Director of the Bureau of Prisons, be allowed a deduction from that prisoner's sentence of not to exceed 3 days for each month of actual employment in an industry or camp for the first year or any part thereof, and not to exceed 5 days for each month of any succeeding year or part thereof.

`(b) In the discretion of the Director of the Bureau of Prisons such allowance may also be made to a prisoner performing exceptionally meritorious service or performing duties of outstanding importance in connection with institutional operations.

`(c) Such allowance shall be in addition to commutation of time for good conduct, and under the same terms and conditions and without regard to length of sentence.
`Sec. 4163. Discharge

`Except as otherwise provided by law a prisoner shall be released at the expiration of the term of sentence less the time deducted for good conduct. A certificate of such deduction shall be entered on the commitment by the Warden or keeper. If such release date falls upon a Saturday, a Sunday, or on a Monday which is a legal holiday at the place of confinement, the prisoner may be released at the discretion of the warden or keeper on the preceding Friday. If such release date falls on a holiday which falls other than on a Saturday, Sunday, or Monday, the prisoner may be released at the discretion of the warden or keeper on the day preceding the holiday.
`Sec. 4164. Forfeiture for offense

`If during the term of imprisonment a prisoner commits any offense or violates the regulations promulgated by the Director of the Bureau of Prisons, all or any part of his earned good time may be forfeited.
`Sec. 4165. Restoration of forfeited commutation

`The Director of the Bureau of Prisons shall by regulation provide for the criteria for and means of restoration of any forfeited or lost good time or portion .'.

(b) Clerical Amendment- The table of chapters for part III of title 18, United States Code, is amended by striking the item relating to chapter 309 and inserting the following:
4161'.

(c) Conforming Repeal and Cross Reference Change- Section 3624 of title 18, United States Code, is amended--

(1) by striking subsection (b); and

(2) in subsection (a), by striking `subsection (b)' and inserting `chapter 309'.

(d) Application of Amendments- This Act and the amendments made by this Act shall apply with respect to--

(1) all prisoners, other than those to whom the former system of the former chapter 309 of title 18 applies, as of the date of the enactment of this Act; and

(2) all periods of imprisonment of the prisoners to whom it applies that occur after the date of that enactment.

THIS HAS NOT BEEN SIGNED YET!!!!!!!!! but that's what they are talking about with the 65% law i kept telling my man he was crazy there was no 65% law going to congress and someone on here and famm told me what it's really called.

bellisq
01-21-2009, 12:37 PM
This bill died when Congress adjourned last year. It has to be resubmitted for consideration to begin again. It is not yet listed on FAMM's current legislative agenda, http://famm.org/ExploreSentencing/FederalSentencing/BillsinCongress.aspx

Ravenscaitorrie
01-21-2009, 12:41 PM
From WashingtonWatch.com-
H.R. 7089, The Federal Prison Work Incentive Act of 2008

This item is from the 110th Congress (2007-2008) and is no longer current. Comments, voting, and wiki editing have been disabled, and the cost/savings estimate has been frozen.
H.R. 7089 would amend title 18, United States Code, to restore the former system of good time allowances toward service of Federal prison terms.

Stangloverswife
01-21-2009, 07:31 PM
this will not effect us, as my husband has 6 months req for RDAP but I sure am hoping for all yalls sake.

Ravenscaitorrie
01-22-2009, 12:14 PM
What's RDAP?

stacyb78
01-22-2009, 01:05 PM
SENATOR DANNY DAVIS, INTRODUCED A BILL FOR GOOD TIME (THE 65% THING) TWO DAYS BEFORE SESSION ENDED. THE BILL IS DEAD NOW AND WILL HAVE TO BE INTRODUCED IN THE 111TH CONGRESS. THE RUMOR IS STILL FLYING AROUND THE PRISON AND MY MAN CALLS ME ALL THE TIME SAYING I HEARD ITS SIGNED.. I TOLD HIM NEVER AGIAN BELIEVE THE RUMORS, JUST WAIT TILL I TELL HIM CAUSE WELL THEY LIE!! ANYWAY SORRY FOR THE CAPS, I WORK IN CAPS. :o

Stangloverswife
01-22-2009, 06:32 PM
What's RDAP?

Residential Drug and Alcohol Program

Certain inmates qualify for a 'rehab' program so to speak and it gives them 12 months off their sentence. He also gets six months hwh and his gtc.

But because of where he is at in his sentence, it wouldn't affect him because he'd still have to do his 6 months hwh.

BrooklynBorn
01-23-2009, 09:26 PM
I just had my change of plea hearing. Changed to guilty. THey offered me 24 to 36 two years ago. Now my guildlines equal 21-28. White Collar crime as well.

When I was first arrested, I heard the same thing about the 65%. I was told by BOP employees that it was already passed through the first level and waiting for Obama to sign once he got into office.

Obama already made statements that there are too many young men in the federal prison system that need to be home taking care of their families (HINT HINT).

GK

I am new to this, and I was searching the web when I found this page. I was looking for more information about Obama reducing federal time. My husband told me he heard once Obama is in the whitehouse all he needs to do is sign for the federal time reduction. Time will go from 85% to 65% if he agrees to sign. Does anyone have any information about this?:confused:

BrooklynBorn
01-23-2009, 09:29 PM
So what is the deal with RDAP. I was positive for Marijuana when I was taken into custody and required to take weekely urines as part of my bail release.

I should qualify for RDAP. If I get 21 months, will they allow me the RDAP program? I heard its 9 months long then you get up to a year off your sentence. THen the 6 months 1/2 way house and 1.5 months off for good behavior, then the 6 weeks I did in holdiong. Sound right to you?

GARY

this will not effect us, as my husband has 6 months req for RDAP but I sure am hoping for all yalls sake.

shrek123
01-23-2009, 09:34 PM
i was told that now in a federal prison you only have to do 65% of your time? is there any truth to this? my son on his presentence report says they recommend 132 months, is it possible that he can get less? or do most judges do what the presentence report says???? my son has been in a state prison before for buglarizing garages when he was 18, met someone who infulenced him to do drugs, trafficing mary jane, but no violence ever, no wepons, he will do the drug program to get a year off, and i think he is eleigle for halfway house isnt all persons eligible for that? but i want to know is the good time credit 35% of his sentence? only has to serve 65%? he is now being held in a jail until he gets sentenced on july 22nd, and someone from a federal prison told him he only has to do 65% but i cant find anything that will confirm this. also is it possible after he gets sentenced that he can self surrender? and do you have any recommendations that can be done to try to help him come home even if only for a day? any help would be appreciated... thank youWhen I was in prison we had to do 85% of our time. I am in a halfway house and have heard that the 65% is near. I also went through the R>D>A>P> program to get the time off and I got 5 months,and 6 months half way house. Once you go thruogh the drug program its mandatory to complete 6 months halfway house. That can and most likely will be broke down to 3 months halfway house, and 3 months of home conefinement.

Zelda50
01-24-2009, 12:29 AM
The 65% isn't "near." The bill has yet to be introduced even - maybe in a few months it will be. Then it has to go through committees, and the whole legislative process before it would even reach the President for his signature.

bellisq
01-24-2009, 07:44 AM
I think this is a HUGE change, much bigger than the crack bill last year, that will have trouble getting passed, although i am optimistic. And there is no guarantee that those already sentenced would get a break. Join FAMM and FedCure and help. There are a lot of calls and letters that will need to be done to get the attention this needs.

dtjohnson01
01-24-2009, 11:38 AM
I hope it goes through, but so far everything I have experienced in the federal system just seems to screw offenders.

Stangloverswife
01-25-2009, 10:34 AM
So what is the deal with RDAP. I was positive for Marijuana when I was taken into custody and required to take weekely urines as part of my bail release.

I should qualify for RDAP. If I get 21 months, will they allow me the RDAP program? I heard its 9 months long then you get up to a year off your sentence. THen the 6 months 1/2 way house and 1.5 months off for good behavior, then the 6 weeks I did in holdiong. Sound right to you?

GARY

This is assuming that you go directly into the program, and that they count the six weeks in holding. This is also assuming that you go to a facility that gives you the full 12 months off. Other than sounds right ;)

But I always do it backwards to make it clearer lol. 21 months minus 9 months for the programs is 12 months. minus the 6 months for the halfway house, is really just 6 months that you need to get off, which shouldn't be a problem. The problem will be the to get into the program and making sure you are designated to a facility that has RDAP, and that there is a class starting right away. Either way you will get a lot out of the program so even if you only get a few months off for it, you will find it well worth it :)

Al'swife2012
01-25-2009, 11:51 AM
Today i heard from a CO that they did pass it. But its for the feds he said they are working on state next. I will be keeping my fingers cross!!

Zelda50
01-25-2009, 12:11 PM
The C.O. is wrong, if you're talking about passage of the good time bill. It hasn't even been introduced yet.

Ravenscaitorrie
01-28-2009, 03:36 PM
HOPE....HOPE...HOPE...and CHANGE.

qimenglan037
02-02-2009, 06:07 PM
The 65% rumor is half true. As posted earlier with the bill's exact text, the Work Incentive bill was introduced last fall just to get it on the radar. It was not expected to have been voted on at the time due to how close it was to the elections at the time. However, according to information from Rep. Danny Davis' aid (we spoke with him last week), the bill is slated to be reintroduced (possibly under a different name) in late spring/early summer of this year. Rep. Danny Davis is the Congressional supporter of the bill who is presenting it. Not much is going to be done with it until after the Economic Stimulus bill is settled, though. The bill will not grant a 65% across the board, but will instead depend on the amount sentenced, amount served, type of job held, etc. Join up with FedCure to help us out. We need phone calls and letters of support to our reps to get this passed!