View Full Version : anyone familiar with POCAHONTAS unit

hiswife050505
06-13-2008, 07:12 AM
does anyone have any information about pocahontas? my husband was just moved there and i don't know anything about this one. please help!! trying to get my kids out there to see their daddy. :confused:

ronslady
06-13-2008, 10:30 AM
does anyone have any information about pocahontas? my husband was just moved there and i don't know anything about this one. please help!! trying to get my kids out there to see their daddy. :confused:

only thing i can tell you is that its in pocahontas, its a level 3, and it just open sometime the end of next year. my baby is there too, and waiting for him to get moved to the facility he's pose to be in, its way to far from home, he's been there since nov or dec or 07.

hiswife050505
06-13-2008, 10:44 AM
i am far away too, in richmond its about 5 hours for us atleast we think. he was just moved yesterday. i was wondering if there was anything different about visitation there? he was moved to pocahontas from mecklenberg. how long has it been since you saw your guy last? i can mapquest the directions i just want to know before i get there how things kinda go? when i saw him the first time at meckelnberg they sent me to the store and made me change my underwear because they were thongs. but stupid stuff like that...i dont want to screw up if i drive that far with the kids to see him.:o

ctzgirl
06-17-2008, 02:22 PM
anyone every wanting to car pool out there...get in touch with me...i'm lookin to go out there as soon as possible too...they just shipped my baby there yesterday ... so...get with me and we can work something out....

nithtmare
08-28-2009, 08:04 PM
I have my sons review right in front of me. He is a level 1>1, no infractions ,the co report he was going a good job at his house keeping job and they have sent him 9 hours away 475 miles away there just isn't anyway I can take his children that far away from home. Does anyone know of anyone I can write to to try to get him moved closer to home?

nithtmare
08-28-2009, 08:05 PM
why would they put a level 1 in a level 3 facility?

dwfighterva
08-29-2009, 06:58 AM
He could be moved there to be a cadre worker. This means he would be at a facility above his security level but he is only there to work. They have been putting lower level guys in the upper levels as that but this is the first time I heard of someone going to Level 3. Although, it just hit me, this could be their way of getting some of these lower level guys out of receiving and into open spaces and also have someone in the jobs they know they can trust. We all know most of the guys are lower and the open beds are in upper and that is why there is a bottleneck at receiving - no where to put them.

As for getting him moved closer to home, person to contact - Jim Parks - Classification and Records Services (804) 674-3131

I have spoken to Mr. Parks and he is very informative and helpful. Don't be all upset but ask him "why" your son was moved and if it would be possible he be moved closer? No guarantees but it sure won't hurt to ask.

nithtmare
08-29-2009, 01:27 PM
my son called and said they moved about 30 people on tues and had the beds filled the same day and they moved about 30 more on thursday. there are other level ones that got sent to the level 3 at Pocahontas. They may close prisons but that doesn't mean they will reduce their time, they will just ship them further away from family to the higher level facilities with space I quess.:eek::eek:

harasubam
08-31-2009, 05:35 AM
nightmare, im sorry your son got transfererd sooo far away,but i just want you to know my husband has been at pocahontas, he is now at lawrenceville we wanted him closer BUT i would give most anything to have him go back to pocahontas as all places have draw backs pocahontas is the best place ive been. in my oppinion there are no gangs, there are no drugs, the co;s are the nicest people as long as rules are followed, and it is the cleanest well kep[ place ive been, as a visiter they treat you as such NOT like a criminal for loving your inmate. they even seem to have compassion when things come up that you cant help. i know its far and it sucks. but keep in mind that its a pretty good place. now for the inmates take, they have more rules than most, there are co;s in every pod 24/7 they have door breaks every few hours and if you miss them you are stuck in or out of cell for an hour. no soft ball field, and very little in organized sports.the inmates hate it there not much to do and watched every minute. but because there is no trouble to get into the familys of inmates like it. my husband could not wait to get off that camp, but now he even wishes he had stayed.

nithtmare
08-31-2009, 01:21 PM
He has called and for the fact it is so far away, he says the food is better, he has his own space, he will be able to make $.27 a hour, and he has his own john right now. He has a cell but he is still a level 1>1 and is there for that cadre program. I guess I just have to adjust because even though it is so far away, it sounds like it may be a better place for him to be. I just don't know how I will get the kids out there to see him. His father has offered to take us, just don't know how my husband now will react to me going out there with his father. Of course the children would go and my mother would go. Just one more problem to solve in this nightmare. Thanks again for the words of encouragement.

harasubam
08-31-2009, 03:22 PM
you get to visit both days i stayed in a hotel there in bluefield comfort inn is the best one, summer prices are kinda high, and watch not to go when bristal nas car is racing the hotels all fill up.

donna915
09-05-2009, 10:59 PM
nightmare, im sorry your son got transfererd sooo far away,but i just want you to know my husband has been at pocahontas, he is now at lawrenceville we wanted him closer BUT i would give most anything to have him go back to pocahontas as all places have draw backs pocahontas is the best place ive been. in my oppinion there are no gangs, there are no drugs, the co;s are the nicest people as long as rules are followed, and it is the cleanest well kep[ place ive been, as a visiter they treat you as such NOT like a criminal for loving your inmate. they even seem to have compassion when things come up that you cant help. i know its far and it sucks. but keep in mind that its a pretty good place. now for the inmates take, they have more rules than most, there are co;s in every pod 24/7 they have door breaks every few hours and if you miss them you are stuck in or out of cell for an hour. no soft ball field, and very little in organized sports.the inmates hate it there not much to do and watched every minute. but because there is no trouble to get into the familys of inmates like it. my husband could not wait to get off that camp, but now he even wishes he had stayed.

I agree with you, Pocahontas is clean and the people are nice. My step son is there now, in fact, I am in the hotel room tonight, going to see him in the morning. We are from NC and it is a pretty good drive so we spend the night in WV and drive to Pocahontas in the morning so we will have more time with him. Even though it is a long way for us, I worry about him less being there because of all the things you mentioned.

nithtmare
09-06-2009, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the info. Are the visits contact and do they do the odd/even visiting day?

harasubam
09-06-2009, 07:42 PM
contact visits and no # you can visit both sat and sun and holiday !!~!!!! all of them if you go sat you can go back sun.

nithtmare
09-08-2009, 06:43 PM
Thanks so much. You are always there with an answer.

nithtmare
09-08-2009, 06:58 PM
My son called today. He went to court for child support while he was in the county jail. The judge gave him 90 days to serve when he got out. Of course this was before he got sentenced. With his max guidelines at 2 years and 11 months, don't guess the J&d judge thought he would get 31 years with all but 8 suspended. Well it seems that the 90 day detainer for child support is still out there so now they won't let him work in the cadre program until the 90 detainer for the child support is addressed. He is a level 1>1 in a level 3 in a cell with 15 minutes out an hour for the next year unless the J&D judge will run the sentences together. Where do I start? This is so unbelievable. Does anyone think I should contact ACLU? All this is just to much. HELP HELP HELP

dwfighterva
09-08-2009, 07:14 PM
I would say your best bet would be a lawyer to file a motion with the custody court that his time be served concurrent. Part of it can be that it is forcing an additional penalty on him and will serve absolutely no purpose to help the domestic situation. Since this is a detainer on him, it has not been settled and it can be taken care of since it is still in the original jurisdiction.

nithtmare
10-30-2009, 04:06 PM
well I talked to the local prole office and told them it was keeping him from being able to work in the cadra program, which of course they had to verifywith the facility, they went to a j&d judge who signed a order that the support 90 day sentence was to run concurrent with the cc charge and the chicken house, and they sent it to everyone who didn't get it, so I called them back and they put a receipt on it so it did get received but it seems that DOC really isn't into dealing with mestomeaners, so even though the judge signed the order for them to run concurrent, he may still have to serve it when he finishes this sentence. They still say the detainer has not changed anything and he is still not able to work the cadra program. Unbelievable