View Full Version : anyone been to an ontario prison social?

browning
06-12-2008, 02:41 AM
my boyfriend was moved to joyceville about a year ago and wants me to attend a social with him in july. i'm not sure what it's about, he said i get to spend the whole day with him in 'the yard'
he also said theres over a hundred people that attend this.
were both not very social people, especially when it comes to anything prison related. i'm surprised he even did this.

has anyone attended one of these? how did it go, did u like it?
thanks for any replies!

justus1
06-12-2008, 09:00 AM
I haven't been specifically to one of these socials. But the prison my husband is in does a "family picnic" type thing each summer, and from the communication I've had with some of the wives that I keep in contact with, it's really fantastic. They tell me the food is pretty good, and the best thing is the kids can actually have their dads in fairly normal surroundings. Pretty much like you would envision any family picnic, except for the perimeter, of course.

I'd love to go, but I can't ever afford the trip. I'm hundreds of miles away.

lilystacey
06-12-2008, 09:46 PM
Lol... "social" i love the word

Socials are usually held in the gym , with access to the yard as well. The gym is filled with tables each barring a name of the inmate (lol.. so you know where to sit)

There are snacks, drinks, coffee awaiting you in the morning when you arrive. Lunch is served - usually buffet style. (the day is from 9am to 3pm)

They set up, ping-pong tables, pool table, tv (kids movies playing) and so on.. (to keep the kids busy..) kids play basketball/soccer outside.

Its very relaxed, you can walk around, go outside, kiss, hug, hold hands.. (its really nice to have some "normal time" again!! )

I was intimidated by the "social" aspect but let me assure you, there's no group interaction. Its basicly a day with your man, and they feed you..lol..and i was suprised how good the food is!

Go, I promise you'll have a great day! (it's just you and him, everyone minds there own buissness)

Lilystacey

I've been to many, they have them on every occasion christmas-easter-valentines-mothers day-fathers day... lol.. you get the idea. (on average every 3 months)

browning
06-13-2008, 10:05 AM
Lol... "social" i love the word

Socials are usually held in the gym , with access to the yard as well. The gym is filled with tables each barring a name of the inmate (lol.. so you know where to sit)

There are snacks, drinks, coffee awaiting you in the morning when you arrive. Lunch is served - usually buffet style. (the day is from 9am to 3pm)

They set up, ping-pong tables, pool table, tv (kids movies playing) and so on.. (to keep the kids busy..) kids play basketball/soccer outside.

Its very relaxed, you can walk around, go outside, kiss, hug, hold hands.. (its really nice to have some "normal time" again!! )

I was intimidated by the "social" aspect but let me assure you, there's no group interaction. Its basicly a day with your man, and they feed you..lol..and i was suprised how good the food is!

Go, I promise you'll have a great day! (it's just you and him, everyone minds there own buissness)

Lilystacey

I've been to many, they have them on every occasion christmas-easter-valentines-mothers day-fathers day... lol.. you get the idea. (on average every 3 months)

thanks for that info!

UN girl
06-13-2008, 06:24 PM
limited supervision for 7 hours :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

lilystacey
06-13-2008, 07:32 PM
limited supervision for 7 hours :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

LOL.. fun fun fun..

Keepin6
06-28-2008, 10:32 PM
yes, a very good time. once we got steak!! had kfc before too!! great time, for a minute you forget where you are! just a minute though lol my man is home now so no more socials for me, but i suggest you go, i bet you have a good time. my man was in collins bay

Back12draft
07-03-2008, 10:35 PM
Oh man, I'm so jelious.

My wife is doing time in Texas and something along those lines is completely unheard of.

I live in Canada and grew up in the Kingston ON area so I'm frimilar with the Canadian system but nobody in Texas belives me when I tell them how much easier CDN prisons are. Social day, Family picnic, this type of thing is totally unheard of in the US.

In Texas we are only allowed one - 8 hr visit per month or 2 hrs each weekend. All visits are supervised and take place across the table from each other. Conditions are inhumain and the system has no accountability whatsoever.

You people should consider yourselves so lucky.

spacecase77
07-07-2008, 01:52 PM
I'm sure that when it's possible we all consider ourselves very lucky.
I haven't seen my brother in 2 months because he's 10 hours away. When I could see him, it was one hour, once a week, through glass on the phone ,or over the counter, so not all Canadian facilities are just like being at home.
Even after driving 10 hours once every 4 months to see him, we'll still get one hour on saturday and one hour on sunday.
I guess we're ALL lucky that sooner (or later) most of our loved ones will be back in our arms and by our sides.

mochasplash
07-07-2008, 09:47 PM
u know were gonna hook up!! :P
did u close ur account???

lilystacey
07-08-2008, 04:04 PM
I'm sure that when it's possible we all consider ourselves very lucky.
I haven't seen my brother in 2 months because he's 10 hours away. When I could see him, it was one hour, once a week, through glass on the phone ,or over the counter, so not all Canadian facilities are just like being at home.
Even after driving 10 hours once every 4 months to see him, we'll still get one hour on saturday and one hour on sunday.
I guess we're ALL lucky that sooner (or later) most of our loved ones will be back in our arms and by our sides.

THIS THREAD is about prison socials! not about who "has it harder" I am truly OFFENDED by your remarks,

Dont assume you know anything about anyone elses hardships!!!

Who are you to expect peoples sympathy?? We all have our own situation. (ie: lifers)

AND I WILL HAVE YOU KNOW my husband is a 10hr round trip away from me, YET i find a way every week to visit !!

So maybe before you Rant about your situation.. Remeber there are always familys in much worse situations than you!!

Lilystacey