View Full Version : Things to NEVER send...

MDF1965
06-09-2008, 11:46 AM
Okay, so we drive over 500+ miles one way to visit son in a prison camp in northern Upper Peninsula of Michigan. We had a great visit!!! We hadn't seen him in many months; we were waiting for the snow to melt up there in Siberia, Michigan. ;)

So, we visit all day and leave at the end of the visit day (Sat & Sun only 8:30am - 2:30pm) and hubby, dawg and me take a ride around the Keweenaw Peninsula taking lots of pictures of Lake Superior which was GORGEOUS. We drove all the way around the peninsula to Copper Harbor, too. It was mid-May when we went and we saw snow still along side the road. The next day (Sunday) we visited for just a couple hours and had the long 11-hour drive home to face.

When I got home and had the photos developed, I send copies to our son so he could see how beautiful it was. And along with the photos I sent some brochures about the copper mine tours and a detailed road map of the Upper Peninsula.

Ummm.......when he called a few days later he asked Whose bright idea was it to send me a map of the U.P.???

And I said (because I could tell he wasn't happy about it) Your dad sent it. I'm certainly smarter than that. (no clue why it wasn't a good idea! I thought he should see the geographical aspect of where he is)

Son says Mom, I told you when you were here that I got a job working with a crew out of the prison cleaning up parks and roadsides.

And I said Uh huhhhh, you sure did. And we're so happy for you!

Son says Mom, the map was confiscated in the mail room and the lieutenant called me to his office asking why I was sent a detailed road map of the U.P........Mom? you still there?

<sigh> :rolleyes: <sigh> Ohhhhh......my gosh. Did you tell him it was sent by your ditzy mother? Did you lose your job? Oh I'm soooo sorry! Shall I call the lieutenant and explain???

Noooo, Mom. I explained how you were always trying to teach me stuff AND not planning an escape route.

Okay, so now I know: Do not send maps to son in prison. :cool:

Love & Peace ~~~
Mary

Danalia
06-09-2008, 11:50 AM
Oh goodness, I probably shouldn't but that did make me giggle. Sounds just like something I would do! I'll make a note of that no-no ;)

COMPLETElyhis
06-09-2008, 11:56 AM
Bless you're heart! I had to smile upon reading that!

:D

lucy83
06-09-2008, 12:23 PM
Oh my goodness! I sent a map!!! HAhah. But it was a google map. No roads or anything like that, more like an atlas picture of U.S and Canada with an arrow showing where I was. No directions or nothing. No where near the area he is.
Will he/did he get in trouble for that? He's in California.
I feel like an idiot now.

VictorsLadii
06-09-2008, 02:25 PM
MDF-it sounds like you feel like a fool, but you know, im sure you didnt think about it, atleast he didnt get into any trouble, and lucy-i doubt it, i think you will be fine..exspecialy if the maps not even in the area he is in. i dont think its the fact that its a map, just that in MDF situation it was in the area his son worked off the prison yard.

5144yecats
06-09-2008, 02:49 PM
Awww!!
In england, it's really strange but you're not allowed to send in pictures which contain the person you're sending to, anyone know why?!

why
06-09-2008, 02:58 PM
LOL ... Oh my gosh ... sounds like something that I would do! I am always afraid something that I do in innocense will cause my friend harm in someway.

thatwiz
06-09-2008, 03:55 PM
Yeah they bug out on the maps. I had sent hubby some house brochures which had a little map of how to get to the spot-it was just a small thing with a few streets-and nowhere near where he's at, but it was a "map" and he was also asked about it.

warriorqueen
06-09-2008, 04:09 PM
I had to laugh as well. Today I rcvd back in the mail from the prison a card I sent along with a google map of the neighborhood which I had handwritten which were new subdivisions and labeled the neighbors houses. He has been gone almost 14 years and I bought this house while he was gone. He is coming home early (10 months) and I am trying to get him somewhat adjusted.
Just the neighborhood mind you and I am 200 miles away. This is and I kid you not what was checked;

Depicts, encourages, or describes methods of escape from correctional facilities or contain blueprints, drawings or other similar descriptions of Department of Corrections facilities or institutions, or includes road maps that can facilitate escape from correctional facilities.

Guess we all learned something

MDF1965
06-09-2008, 05:19 PM
Thanks all of you! It WAS funny as long as he didn't get thrown off the work detail because of my innocent mistake. The guards there are so nice. I'm sure they knew he wasn't a risk; too far to go any where up there!

Just wanted to share a laugh with you! :)

essicaj00
06-09-2008, 05:21 PM
so far returned to me was

garbage pail sticker
and stamped envelopes, he told me he could recieve them but maybe he was mistaken, i had to LOL when i read on the list body hair im like EWW gag

A.C. Aldag
06-09-2008, 08:12 PM
Hey Mary, that is where I am from! The most beautiful land on Earth.

In CA max security you can't send things like staples, brads (metal things) on the envelopes, paper clips, etc. because, well, the inmates might save them up and use them to make a sword, or something. :p

leahc
06-09-2008, 11:30 PM
The way you told the story made me lol. :p I'm certainly glad it all worked out okay!

whisky 23
06-10-2008, 09:27 AM
I thought that was so funny.

michellecasey
06-10-2008, 12:23 PM
Probably shouldn't laugh but it was funny. I am always sending things to my husband and now i know never to send a map-lol thanks

ksweeney2
06-11-2008, 08:14 AM
At least he didn't lose his job. That's good.

sscared
06-13-2008, 02:07 PM
Reading All These Posts I Couldnt Help But Giggle...thank You So Much

othersideofhell
06-13-2008, 05:08 PM
OK, I had to giggle on that one. I personally LOVED where you AUTOMATICALLY blamed Dad for it though... Priceless

jrivera3
06-16-2008, 12:40 PM
Good things; that turn out Bad...Your intentions were good...