View Full Version : Fight for Email!

robertegarrett
06-07-2008, 08:07 PM
My wife is currently at SFF Hazelton, and they have email.
It is fantastic. No attachments permiited, and they are, of course, screened, resulting in a few hours delay, but much cheaper and quickder than snail mail.
If your loved one does not have email, then fight for it!

24jf
06-09-2008, 09:43 AM
I personally think e-mail is great for emergencies. However, I have a concern that a push for it will eventually elminate snail mail all together! It's already starting to happen in some of the southern states, incoming mail is restricted to postcards only. What a great way to for DOC to cut expenses.. eliminate the mail room. Of course incoming e-mail would still require screening but there would be no concern of contraband and therefore no need for a fully staffed mailroom. Just food for thought!!

Danalia
06-09-2008, 09:58 AM
Hmmm, unbelievable as it might be to most of us, there are still people out there who do not have the internet. Public access, such as cafes and libraries might also be beyond them and snail mail is all they have. Ok, they may be in the minority but they have to be considered too.

Also, there are little somethings I can send in snail mail that I can't put into email. Just my thoughts :)

LeBeau
06-09-2008, 11:25 AM
I share 24JF's concerns that if e-mail became commonplace as a means of communicating with inmates that it would not be long before paper correspondance was limited or eliminated altogether.

As for access, If I did not have internet at home, I'd be out of luck- the nearest public computers are 30 miles away... a 60 mile round trip that is very dangerous in the winter.

D4C
06-09-2008, 12:54 PM
Another anti-email point is that in many cases, when they are in the hole, mail is their only communication... I cant see CO's transporting guys from the hole to a computer to write an email.

Angelsdelight
06-09-2008, 01:34 PM
I love getting my snail mail ! E-mails great every now & then but its impersonal to me :(

Baked
06-09-2008, 02:01 PM
i have been thinking about this for awhile now!
i didnt think there would be any harm for an inmate to have a legit email address that couldnt be out until it was read of course.
it would just make some things easier! then i saw someone say, people without the internet but how could they ever take away real mail?
i saw a website where you can send a letter on the internet & it gets printed out and sent to them within 24 hours & i thought, thats awesome! then saw this & was like wow! that would be awesome!
FIGHT FOR EMAILS! :cool:

Angelsdelight
06-09-2008, 02:04 PM
what site baked ?? Jpay do it but i couldn't send to cali

michellecasey
06-10-2008, 08:57 PM
I honestly love it!! I usually only use it for something urgent needs to get to him. It costs us 60 cents for up to 3 pages, and no attachments but you can copy and paste the information.

robertegarrett
06-10-2008, 09:18 PM
I definately share some of the concerns expressed about email, and I hope that BOP would never cease receiving of snail mail. I send pictures, books, magazines by snail mail, and those are important.
But when it comes to daily contact, at a much lower cost than the phone, email has become a way of life between me and my wife. Time delays are only a matter of hours.
Many once feared that TV would put an end to radio, and that video tapes would put an end to movie theaters. It wont happen.

supermomma
06-10-2008, 09:50 PM
I think that's great for emergencies but I really love my mail. I really don't think my man would be so open to be himself in an email meaning I'm sure he wouldn't have the privacy he does when writing a letter to me, ya know what I mean?