View Full Version : Cheaper prison calls?

mpl5164
06-07-2008, 11:34 AM
Currently I use GTL, Calling my girl in Virginia, from Chicago, and you all know its pretty expensive. We talk 3-4 times a week, but about an hour each time on the week days, and 2 hours on the week ends(Goes by like seconds :)). Has anyone ever tried Prison calls online or any of the other tele companies I see advertised here? Are they cheaper? Do I still use GTL with that? I'm a bit confused..........:confused: Any insight would be greatly appreciated! :)
Michael

mpl5164
06-07-2008, 08:12 PM
I think I may have worded this incorrectly. I use GTL so my girl can call me in Chicago, from Virginia. Sorry for the confusion.....

Ms.PoP
06-08-2008, 11:48 AM
I'm not really sure about that one but I am in the process of setting up something w/ ConsCallHome.com

justvicki
06-08-2008, 02:40 PM
You have to use whatever billing service that has a contract with the facility. So, if its GTL there's no getting around that. However, I am in CA and D is in WV. I set up Vonage with an area code that is local to his facility, and established a prepaid account with GTL since no VoIP service will allow you to accept collect calls. Our 15 minute calls that used to cost $8.35 each when GTL direct billed my CA AT&T account now cost 78 cents plus the $24.99 monthly charge from Vonage. When I set up my prepaid account with GTL I did it through their automated service and I also add funds to it when the balance gets down the same way. When I set up my Vonage account I also did it online and never talked to a rep. I have been using Vonage with my prepaid GTL account for 18 months and haven't had a problem.

PCO did not save me any money and the facility considered it to be a call forwarding service, which is not allowed. I haven't had any experience with any of the other services out there.

Good luck!

OutHereWaiting
06-13-2008, 11:40 AM
I set up with CBS (Corretional Billing Services) Google it. It is a 6.95 charge to set up and put money on.. I put 50.00 dollars on and it seems my man calls all the time now and the money hasn't ran out.
Each 20 minute call cost 2 dollars and some cents.. so that is about 20 calls at 20 minutes each.. I can def. afford that!

sscared
06-13-2008, 12:23 PM
I would recommend getting Vonage...you can get a local number and your calls will end up being so much cheaper...just like justvicki says, you might still need to use whatever provider the facility has a contract with, but since you already have GTL this will help you stretch that money waaaaay more...they will charge you only for a local call...VONAGE IS CURRENTLY RUNNING A PROMOTION I JUST SET UP WITH THEM YESTERDAY...THEY ARE NOW WAIVING THE ACTIVATION FEE AND GIVING YOU 2 MONTHS FREE IF YOU SET UP THROUGH A REPRESENTATIVE (YOU CAN FIND THEIR TOLL FREE NUMBER ON THEIR WEBSITE)...YOU DO NEED A HIGH SPEED INTERNET WITH ETHERNET MODEM TO SET UP THEIR PHONE ADAPTER...IT WILL INITIALLY COST YOU ABOUT 25-30 DOLLARS DEPENDING ON THE SHIPPING METHOD YOU CHOOSE AND THE NEXT 2 MONTHS ARE FREE (I CALLED THEM LAST WEEK AND IT WAS LIKE 55 BUCKS TO SET UP BUT NOW THEY ARE WAVING THAT ACTIVATION FEE WHICH HELPS SO MUCH, I WAS GLAD:)...IT IS SOMETHING TO CONSIDER...I HAVE BEEN SEARCHING FOR THE BEST WAY FOR A FEW WEEKS NOW...AFTER THE TWO MONTH PERIOD IT COST 24.99 USD/MONTH PLUS TAX AND A FEW OTHER FEES SO ALL TOGETHER ABOUT 30 USD...HOPE THIS HELPS:) OH BY THE WAY I AM NOT A VONAGE EMPLOYEE, I JUST SEARCHED FOR SO LONG AND WAS HOPING MY INPUT MIGHT HELP SOMEBODY...ENJOY YOUR DAY:)

mjd
07-12-2008, 06:50 PM
Check out www.callear2ear.com (http://www.callear2ear.com). They will save you money!!!

jpkjpk2000
07-13-2008, 06:34 PM
Someone posted on another forum that vumber.com works well. You can forward to any number -flat $5 per month.

This is not a prison oriented service. It is for anyone who wants a local number that people can call and have the call automatically routed to another US number.