View Full Version : Vonage-once and for all answers..

angelwithwings
06-03-2008, 02:26 PM
Hi,
I already have Vonage and I live out of state. I need to know if I can set up a local (to the prison) # with Vonage for my other half to call me on.
My concern is, my address and # will not match up whatsoever at all and it will be pretty obvious that I dont live locally. Will this be a problem at the prison and will CBS allow this also?? I need to know ASAP as phone list update is next month, thanks.

debbielew
06-04-2008, 11:10 AM
I live in Massachusetts and have a New Hampshire phone number for my son to call on...also through Vonage. No one has ever sad anything. I am looking into two other programs right now though, local123 and prisonphonecalls. I am having a problem with Vonage for forwarding calls. I always have done this, and all of a sudden I no longer can. I hear these companies let you use more than one phone number. I am not always at home, so I like my son to alway be able to get in touch with me, even when I'm traveling.
Hope this helps.
Deb

angelwithwings
06-04-2008, 01:41 PM
Thanks Deb, I'll set it up. The only thing is,Im not worrying about Vonage, im stressing over CBS! It took 30+ emails just to get my account set up properly on the old number!

debbielew
06-04-2008, 02:41 PM
I don't have CBS, I have ICS (Inmate Calling Solutions)
Sorry, can't help you there.

northstar
06-04-2008, 03:00 PM
Do you use simul-ring or call forwarding through vonage?

I live in Massachusetts and have a New Hampshire phone number for my son to call on...also through Vonage. No one has ever sad anything. I am looking into two other programs right now though, local123 and prisonphonecalls. I am having a problem with Vonage for forwarding calls. I always have done this, and all of a sudden I no longer can. I hear these companies let you use more than one phone number. I am not always at home, so I like my son to alway be able to get in touch with me, even when I'm traveling.
Hope this helps.
Deb

northstar
06-04-2008, 03:07 PM
Hi,
My concern is, my address and # will not match up whatsoever at all and it will be pretty obvious that I dont live locally. Will this be a problem at the prison and will CBS allow this also?? I need to know ASAP as phone list update is next month, thanks.

I could be wrong, but I'm thinking that the prison only wants the billing address and phone number to match. So what if your phone number has a 860 area code and you live in Boston where it's a 617 area code? As long as your phone bill address matches the address of the phone number, ya know? I think the prison just wants to certify that YOU live at the same location as the phone number you give them. If your vonage bill is sent to the same address where you live, and where the phone is located, the area code really isn't the issue.

Check out the vonage website for some of their offers, and you may be able to find what you're looking for (additional lines, virtual numbers, etc.)

Good luck, and keep us posted about what you find out,
Northstar

angelwithwings
06-04-2008, 03:17 PM
Northstar, I think you're right. As long as the billing side of it matches up then I dont see why the virtual number would be a problem. I've only ever had to produce a paper bill as proof when I first got put onto his list and i've changed my number several times since then so (hopefully) it wont be a problem.

jpkjpk2000
06-06-2008, 07:22 AM
It has become common practice for many people to have phone numbers that do not match up with where those numbers are "supposed to be". Many folks who have Vonage type services or just cell phones do not change their numbers when they move - easier for friends to find them. My son who lives in NY still uses his Ohio number

I think a gentle argument can be made that this should be allowed if challenged. One can show that the the phone number is being billed to a certain address and that the credit card matches up.

angelwithwings
06-06-2008, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the advice. I now have the virtual number and CBS updated it straight away :eek: lol. Now im nervous about the prison accepting the number. I forgot about the credit card details matching up aswell. I'll bear that in mind. If they didn't charge us extortionate rates in the first place we wouldnt have to do this!

21months
06-06-2008, 01:32 PM
Let me know how that works out for you because I will be setting my calls up soon as well. I need to know what works best and want to have it directed to my phone calls.

angelwithwings
06-07-2008, 08:55 AM
Sure, I should know in the next few weeks...

water_bills
11-14-2008, 09:17 PM
Can someone [please help me with this prepaid phone service and Vonage?

I have a Vonage phone with the prison local area code so that the calls are cheaper (I am 6 states away), and I have an account set up with VAC so that my husband can call me.

He has continued to try to call me without getting through. All week! The money is on my account! I don't understand it.

Before he got moved to the facility where he is now, I was using a different prepaid phone service provider and he was able to get through NO problems at all. I have called VAC and Vonage and both of them say that everything is working fine, but YET he still CANNOT get through! He keeps getting a recording that says the call is blocked. Vonage doesn't offer collect calls, hence the prepaid thing. I am so frustrated and pissed off!:angry: I want to talk to my husband!!!:(

HopeICanHelp
11-14-2008, 09:25 PM
Hi, if you are using global tel link you will have to find some way to put a local address on there or thei will definately not set up an account :(

Waitin4BlueEyes
11-14-2008, 10:36 PM
I use GTL and have a Cali number with an out-of-state address and I've had it that way for over two years with no problems! It is do-able:thumbsup:

whytrip
11-26-2008, 03:12 PM
In California does vontage accept collect calls through GTL and how do I set it up. Thanks in advance for any info

water_bills
11-26-2008, 04:20 PM
In California does vontage accept collect calls through GTL and how do I set it up. Thanks in advance for any info

Vonage has a collect call block, which is why you have to go through a prepaid service provider like VAC or that GTL (as far as I can tell).