View Full Version : He got a mail violation for crayon, are you kidding me.

LovinMyPrisoner
05-29-2008, 01:17 PM
My man got a mail violation yesterday after I sent him a picture that my 5 yr old son drew for him. The reason for the violation simply just said "Crayon".

I mean seriously people, that just seems a little overboard to me, and neither me nor my boyfriend knew that crayon was not allowed... he's gotten stuff from him daughter and my son before...? Has anyone else had this problem or know if this is actually prohibited? :confused:

one_luv
05-29-2008, 02:04 PM
Prisoners use crayon to make something- tatoo dye I believe. They scrape it off the picture. It is contraband in most facilities. Every once in awhile, it will get through because it's overlooked.

one_luv
05-29-2008, 02:09 PM
You can use markers or colored pencils. Here's the rule:

Incoming mail must be in pen, lead or color pencil, non-toxic markers or be typewritten or photocopied.

LovinMyPrisoner
05-29-2008, 02:22 PM
Gotcha!
Thank you. My biggest concern was why on earth they would reject a child's crayon drawing... :rolleyes:
I swear... those boys can make something out of everything. They're true life McGuivers!

Azucar
05-29-2008, 05:15 PM
To get past this stupid rule, I just copy / scan my 4 and 6 year olds art work on my copier / scanner and then send it to him:) :thumbsup:

Dawn.here2help
05-29-2008, 06:14 PM
Just be careful with the markers too. They have to be non-toxic markers. When I called and asked the prison (SRCI) how are they going to know if they are non-toxic or not she (in the mail room) told me that she sends back most of the marker pictures because she cannot tell what is non-toxic or not! I said then why does the rules say you can send pictures with markers...she said they are trying to get that changed! Best bet according to her...colored pencils!!!

Good luck!
Dawn

iloveyoumore
05-29-2008, 08:22 PM
The Macguyver thing is so true! They can do amazing things with so little. The markers, jolly ranchers, pencil sharpeners, a crayon...when he was home he set us up with some awesome toilet paper dice, and roses! I never would have known one could use toothpaste as glue and zit cream. He must have let my son in on it cause he came out of the bathroom the other night with a big blop of it on his nose and he said Peanut told me my zit would be gone in the morning if I did this...and it was!

grannyG
06-01-2008, 03:36 PM
Yeh, many years ago, I got my brother a mail violation for writing him a really "long" letter using 2" wide adding machine tape. I thought it was a cool inventive thing to do, just being creative. But he got in trouble for it. But that was also over 20 years ago, don't know if it would be okay now, or not.

JustBeachy
06-05-2008, 04:38 PM
My man got a mail violation yesterday after I sent him a picture that my 5 yr old son drew for him. The reason for the violation simply just said "Crayon".

I mean seriously people, that just seems a little overboard to me, and neither me nor my boyfriend knew that crayon was not allowed... he's gotten stuff from him daughter and my son before...? Has anyone else had this problem or know if this is actually prohibited? :confused:

Yep, we get to deal with all kinds of fun stuff! What we do is make a color copy of any of our artwork and mail it that way. I used paint to make my daughters hand print for him and then did a color copy...he still gets is just as we did it but that way it's not a violation...you can use colored pencils though...we've sent in pictures where we used colored pencils and no problems there either. It's so innocent for us to send our childrens drawings and coloring book pages with just crayon, but apparently we could smuggel drugs in the crayon markings or something.

LovinMyPrisoner
06-05-2008, 04:50 PM
Yep, we get to deal with all kinds of fun stuff! What we do is make a color copy of any of our artwork and mail it that way. I used paint to make my daughters hand print for him and then did a color copy...he still gets is just as we did it but that way it's not a violation...you can use colored pencils though...we've sent in pictures where we used colored pencils and no problems there either. It's so innocent for us to send our childrens drawings and coloring book pages with just crayon, but apparently we could smuggel drugs in the crayon markings or something.

It's just sad that obviously people have done something regarding crayon, to actually have it be an issue and for it to be "banned". I mean, their actions took away something so important as a childs drawing, and that sucks!

VinnysGirl
06-07-2008, 01:19 PM
Just use colored pencils or pens. I guess somone told me that people could melt the crayons and put drugs in them. That would be retarded.lol

colbyswifey
09-20-2008, 04:13 PM
I'm so glad that I'm not the only one with this issue...my daughter is over at the table painting Colby a picture and I was wondering if that would be okay to send to him but after reading some of the responses here I think that I will take the scan idea and do it that way...he's in enough trouble no need for a mail violation.....thanks guys even if you didn't know that you helped....:p