View Full Version : Calling abroad

TeamGorman
05-25-2008, 05:43 AM
Hello, hopefully someone can help me. My friend Rich is incarnated in San Diego, moving to Mule Creek now. I have been trying to contact Global Tel to activate an account for him but they never reply nor return calls.

I am in Germany so if anyone has got any ideas about how my friend would be able to call Germany please please let me know.

I am in such an urge to hear his voice after having corresponding by letter for nearly three and a half years.

Melanie

whytrip
05-25-2008, 09:59 AM
My experience with GTL, is when I was recieving calls from the prison... they called me to set up an account with them, or they would block my phone. I don't know how to set up an account. Does your phone recieve collects calls? If so, he should be able to call, and if he calls enough...trust me GTL will be calling you to set up an account with them. Hope this helps.

TeamGorman
05-25-2008, 10:19 AM
Thanks for your reply.
My friend can not make collect calls even though my phone receives them. He said all calls go via GTL from his institution. He asked me to contact GTL but it is impossible. I even had a friend in the States trying to call them but she also had no luck getting a life operator.

This is cracking me up. I do not mind waiting for him if I could only hear his voice once.

R30CREW
07-03-2008, 06:41 PM
the best way is to get on their website. You can pre pay with a credit card. He will need to dial the international code - you can mail him on how to. Good Luck

jaysgirl72
07-03-2008, 10:16 PM
International are all prepaid and you can only setup the account via a Western Union agent. Your friend would then be able to call with the international dialling code country code etc etc.....
I have the info/ GTL flyer for this so if you would like it pm with an email address and I will forward it for you.

You MUST send the money via Quick Pay which is a specific Western Union service, this is a special blue form. I have found here in Oz that many agents dont have this form BUT.....you can complete a regular WU form and when the agent calls WU have them tel the WU call centre that the money MUST go via QUICK PAY. Ive done it this way and it reraches the account.

We cannot access an account online and you can only check your balance via an email address but they respond quickly and I never really had any trouble with their service.

Let me know if you need the info, Ive been using this since it was introduced 12 months ago.

:D

TeamGorman
07-03-2008, 10:17 PM
Thanks for your help.
We worked it out about a month ago. GTL does not accept credit card payment from abroad - only Western Union or wire transfer. You can not open an account online, but I was given an email address and that lady there helped me setting up an account. I then had to wire transfer the money and after that he could call me.
It was so good to hear his voice after having written to eachother for almost four years.

In case anyone experiences problems... I will give you info and help you!

jpkjpk2000
07-03-2008, 10:23 PM
Sign up with a VOIP provider and take the box you get with you to Germany. Order the box with a US number that is local to the jail.

Take the box with you to Germany and connect to your Internet modem.

Even cheaper, use Skype or MagicJack or Yahoo Phone - this also gives you a US phone, but your computer must be on.

PM me for more help if you need it