View Full Version : Magic jack really works

papisgirl
05-14-2008, 07:30 PM
Hey hey just wanted to pass on the BIG savings on my phone bill. I just received my first call from my man using magic jack (it hooks into your computer) the connection was excellent and i was still on the computer. The best part is that it cost $39.00 for the YEAR so no monthly bill and it's unlimited long distance and local calling. The also send it to you for free with a 30 day trial after the 30 days is when they will charge the 39 dollars. So it is worth a shot...it was no problem at all...just had to pass it on

cindy belle
05-14-2008, 08:27 PM
inmates can call collect? its only $39.00 no matter how many calls?

angel12569
05-14-2008, 08:44 PM
that is hard to believe those that work in ny and if it does where can I get one, thanks for letting us know. hopefully we can all use a break thanks again

Princess14
05-14-2008, 08:53 PM
Im chatting with a live rep from magic jack right now to see if calls can come in through GTL. Well see....if this really works that would be a huge savings!!

Princess14
05-14-2008, 09:02 PM
Ok ladies, I just got done with the live chat and copied and pasted it for you to see. I ordered the free trial, so fingers crossed this really works. I wont get my hopes up until i actually try it!

MagicJack LiveChat:
Sam: Hello, how may I help you?
P: HI, I just ordered the free trial but should have asked if magic jack accepts collect calls from correctional facilities.
Sam: Yes.
P: I have an account for prison calls through Global Tel Link and pay them directly for the collect calls instead of at&t, would magic jack just entirely bypass GTL?
Sam: Thank you for your patience. I will transfer you to a higher level of support. Please hold while I transfer you.
http://server.iad.liveperson.net/hcp/chatinfo/chatinfo.gifPlease wait while I transfer the chat to the best suited site operator.
http://server.iad.liveperson.net/hcp/chatinfo/chatinfo.gifYou are now chatting with 'Roy'
Roy: Hello this is Roy, I will be assisting you today.
Roy: How may I help you?
P: Thank you! I recieve collect calls in CA from a correctional facility. All CA prison calls are through a company called Global Tel Link instead of the local phone co. I pay GTL directly for prison calls and wondering if Magic jack would by pass GTL. I spend approx 200.00 per month on prison calls.
Roy: Thank you for bringing this concern to us, yes magicjack accepts collect calls.
P: Thats great news! Is there anything I need to do with GTL? Because I have the acct with them and not sure if they will still charge me for accepting the calls.
Roy: No you don't have to do anything for GTL.
Roy: Is there anything else I may help you with today?
P: Thats all, thank you for your help!

papisgirl
05-15-2008, 06:28 AM
I use global tel as well and it works just fine. I am amazed that it really works and the cost. Honestly if they didn't send it for free for the 30 days i would not have tried it . I can still be on the computer as well with no interferences and clear sound as well. I did call global tell when i first got it as well as the prison. I keep my home phone just in case it didn't work you know how it is to miss a call..lol but i am happy to say i will be a lot of money. I saw it on an infomercial one night. Good luck to all and hope it works for everyone

jpkjpk2000
05-15-2008, 10:12 AM
I am pretty you can set MJ to automatically forward a call.

It is too good to be true. I have had it for 5 months. Don't use it often - just a backup phone

kevs1&only
05-15-2008, 12:22 PM
This is GREAT news! Thanks for sharing! Do any of you all know if this would work if Im in CA and my man is in OK????

patswife4-ever
05-15-2008, 01:03 PM
Roy: Thank you for bringing this concern to us, yes magicjack accepts collect calls

Okay, he says, yes magicjack accepts collect calls, but he did not say, yes we accept collect calls from correctional facilities. I know you specifically asked him, but that one has got me a little worried. So we can use this magicjack and we DON'T have to have GTL anymore?!? :eek: This sounds too good to be true!! LOL :p

Papisgirl says she uses GTL WITH her magicjack?!:confused: Sorry, I guess I am a bit confused on this.. if anyone has done this AFTER cancelling their GTL, please let us know if it works... thanks

Mrs.Official05
05-15-2008, 01:35 PM
My question as well. Magic jack accepts collect calls. But does it accept prison collect calls? They are different. Will we still have to deal with the phone provider (Gtl, ICS, CBS, ..etc) for the facility for the calls to come through? :confused:

Okay, he says, yes magicjack accepts collect calls, but he did not say, yes we accept collect calls from correctional facilities. I know you specifically asked him, but that one has got me a little worried. So we can use this magicjack and we DON'T have to have GTL anymore?!? :eek: This sounds too good to be true!! LOL :p

Papisgirl says she uses GTL WITH her magicjack?!:confused: Sorry, I guess I am a bit confused on this.. if anyone has done this AFTER cancelling their GTL, please let us know if it works... thanks

Princess14
05-15-2008, 02:44 PM
I use global tel as well and it works just fine.

Did you have to set up a pre-paid acct with gtl or does MJ just bypass any billing from GTL? Thats what I was trying to ask the rep. and as another poster said he didnt really answer it well.

papisgirl
05-15-2008, 07:46 PM
I still have the pre-paid account with gtl . I didn't think there was anyway the magic could accept collect calls, there is no monthly bill. We still have the gtl . The magic jack deletes your land line bill.

HeIsMighty
05-15-2008, 08:03 PM
Just to clarify, whether you have majic jack, at&t, etc. You still need to use whatever company that services the particular institution your loved one is located in (i.e., GTL, CBS). As papisgirl stated, you use this service in place of a land line or as jpk stated, as a back up. Hope this helps.

LovinMeNow
05-15-2008, 08:24 PM
So, I don't get how you are saving any money? When I accept the collect calls from the prison, I still have to have the account through GTL and pay them for my prepaid account. GTL has control over the phones in a prison and when you are out of money, the calls get blocked. All you will receive is notification that someone is trying to call you and that you have no funds in your prepaid account. I don't pay anything to my own phone company anyway for accepting these calls. All that it is costing me is the money for GTl, which is outragious, but I don't see the benefit for having the Magic Jack! The only way that there would be a benefit is if it were able to bypass GTL completely and I don't see how it can do that when they control the phones. If someone has the answer, let me know. Thanks!

Princess14
05-15-2008, 09:23 PM
I was really hoping it would bypass gtl, but one way it helps is that you can choose a phone number in the area code the prison is, so at least gtl fees wont be so high from him calling a different area code(well at least in out situation, he is 3 hrs from me) also when YOU make long distance calls from magic jack there are no fees.

papisgirl
05-16-2008, 06:04 AM
Well lovinmenow i was paying 70 dollars a month for my bell south account plus the cost of gtl now with magic jack i pay 39 for the year so let me see that saves me 800 a year. So yeah it does save A LOT of money. How much are you paying to have your land line phone a month? Magic Jack has NO monthly payment so how can you not save money

215 Motoring
05-17-2008, 08:26 PM
ygpm

Shush
05-18-2008, 01:21 AM
from what I read here, this may be a solution for those they dont live next to prison, as for them the gtl account would stay the same.

for us overseas, this seems not to work. first we cannot create a local gtl account as they dont accept payments from overseas for that one.
second we cannot have this serivce, as our phone companies still work here.... of course it would still be a saving having only 39$ a year....

the problem stays, we are not able to use the gtl local account, as we cannot fill it up.
this is for us the same problems with all services involved, no matter what they are called: as soon they provide a local number, we cannot pay gtl.

gtl states clear, that this second service is "forbidden". ............. thats the reason why they dont accept foreign credit cards!

but this is a real nice way to work out that cost problem.... I will keep reading about your experiances, thanks for sharing!

debbielew
05-18-2008, 08:47 AM
I do this same thing with a Vonage phone. I set up a seperate line in my house with the same exchange as the prison. I am out of state. I pay $25.00 a month for Vonage, and the calls from my son run about $2.00-$3.00 on IC Solutions.

sorrycantsay
05-25-2008, 11:47 PM
i have a magic jack and im wondering if anyone else has one that uses CBS
does it work and go thru like it does w/ the other facility phone places?
thank you
-i have the prepaid account also

Mrs.Official05
05-29-2008, 08:46 AM
I'm at work so it's blocking their website right now..:(
I have some questions :).
Do you need to have your computer on for the calls to come through?
Can you forward the calls where ever you want?
What if you're not satisfied will I receive a full refund if I payed?
Can you manage your account through any computer (online)?
All I will be paying is $39.00 /year and the connection fee for the phone provider for the facility?
Is there a contract?

Thankz in advance..:idea:

jpkjpk2000
05-29-2008, 09:09 AM
MagicJack works like any other phone service in the US - ATT, Bell South, Vonage, VOIP etc. The only difference is that it is cheap and you computer must be on and running to make and receive calls. BUT - if your computer is off, you can make it such that the calls go to another number.

Actually, this is a cheap way to get automatic call forwarding like save123.

YES - but if your computer is off it can be forwarded to another number

YES (in the US)

Check the website

All I will be paying is $39.00 /year and the connection fee for the phone provider for the facility?
Is there a contract?

Mrs.Official05
05-29-2008, 09:26 AM
Thankz... :thumbsup:
I guess I'll check the website when I get home
MagicJack works like any other phone service in the US - ATT, Bell South, Vonage, VOIP etc. The only difference is that it is cheap and you computer must be on and running to make and receive calls. BUT - if your computer is off, you can make it such that the calls go to another number.

Actually, this is a cheap way to get automatic call forwarding like save123.

YES - but if your computer is off it can be forwarded to another number

YES (in the US)

Check the website

Is there a contract?

Boykins
09-26-2008, 11:19 AM
Hi everyone, I have a magicjack, and I have not been able to receive any calls from the prison as of yet! I was told by GTL I needed to set up and account with them, but I need to fax them proof of my address with my phone bill, so I did, but that didn't work. The address needed to be on my phone bill, well! you don't get a bill with magicjack, so I still can't talk to my husband. I spoke with some one on the live chat at magicjack in hopes of getting a receipt that would show my name and address on it. They keep telling me they would email it to me, well i've emailed them twice and still waiting. Does any one using magicjack have any ideas?

xgot420issuesx
09-27-2008, 11:04 AM
So, I don't get how you are saving any money? When I accept the collect calls from the prison, I still have to have the account through GTL and pay them for my prepaid account. GTL has control over the phones in a prison and when you are out of money, the calls get blocked. All you will receive is notification that someone is trying to call you and that you have no funds in your prepaid account. I don't pay anything to my own phone company anyway for accepting these calls. All that it is costing me is the money for GTl, which is outragious, but I don't see the benefit for having the Magic Jack! The only way that there would be a benefit is if it were able to bypass GTL completely and I don't see how it can do that when they control the phones. If someone has the answer, let me know. Thanks!

The way it saves money is by getting rid of your regular monthly phone bill. Like right now, I have verizon, and by monthly bill is $25.00 a month. Where it would save me money is Majik Jack is $39.00 per YEAR... per year I am paying verizon $300.00 per year in bills. So this is how it saves you money. Not through GTL, but through the regular phone service. So for me, it would be a savings of $261.00 a year.

RealStreetLife
02-13-2009, 07:06 PM
Hi everyone,
I use a VOIP plan that provides me with a local area code so our calls are cheaper. I can forward the phone to any other location I may be...I pay a monthly fee for this service. I wonder if magic jack can take its place? But I too want to know whats the difference, in price, between a collect call and a prepaid call? Also, it appears to me that there is no way out of using gtl or whatever plan is in place through the prison system. Am I correct?

sugarsmack75
02-14-2009, 12:49 PM
the advantage to using a magic jack it that you can have a number local to the prison, but you do not have to have a new monthly bill to go along with. Magic jack charges you for the service, once a year. you can use it for unlimited minutes unlimited long distance , all that stuff. why get vonage, another cell service or anything thats gonna cost you another 20-30 bucks per month on top of the cost of the call from the prison. Thats where you save the $, basically after you by the magic jack, you pay the GTL charge, which happens no matter what b/c thats the service provider to the prison, and thats it. theres no continual extra monthly bill for those of us who need to get a local number specifically for prison phone calls.

Cx2
02-15-2009, 01:15 AM
Hmmm, so Iam thinking get the area code number threw MJ that is the same as the prison area code and instead of 85 cents connect fee and 2.50 a call with phone cards, he'll only pay the 1.85 because that will eliminate the long distance connect..Hmmm that could work.. that could save money with his phone cards too..

Whats this deleting our land line number though??? Does it do that automatically or can you have both numbers the MJ and land line??

So you can pick your area code number, thats awesome..

Cx2
02-15-2009, 01:34 AM
Yes ladies it will save you $$ even with GTL because the long distance connection fee will be less or nothing when you choose a area code thats near you man..So it will work because depending where you are, half you charge on each call is the connection fee you wont have that if your a local area code to the prison..:thumbsup:

This could be a good thing our calls will go down from 2.50 to 1.85 because we will only get charged for the call... no connect fee.. I got it, I am gonna try it

esteli
02-15-2009, 01:41 AM
I have the majic jack and I gave the number to my man. He tried calling me but it said there was a billing issue.

Yeah, if I call GTL they will want proof and mj doesn't give any kind of bill or paperwork.

sugarsmack75
02-15-2009, 01:08 PM
FOr those of you having problems with your magic jack and receiving phone call from prison. I have one and it works GREAT, but heres the catch. You have to set up your magic jack number with a GTL prepay account. then your address doesnt matter, because the only reason they need you address to so that they can hunt you down for money. Pay them in advance, and that satisfies their issues. It also means that you aren't accepting any collect calls on your Mjack number which may pose a billing issue. The other alternative which has only become available in the last month, is have your inmate get a calling card or account whatever it is that they can do now and call your magic jack number directly. I personally do the prepay thing. I save $18 / call- now each call is about $2.36. my $25 GTL prepay deposit used to last one call, now it lasts one month, and that allows time for me to mail in my my payments so i can avoid the %19 service fee GTL charges for credit card payments over the phone, before i didn't have enough time to wait for the payment to post to my account before i needed to use it. The magic jack thing truly works, it took may take a little figuring, but its worth it. hope this helps, i know it can be really frustrating dealing with all this stuff. GOOD LUCK everyone.

Cx2
02-15-2009, 05:00 PM
Yes, like everything if its to good to be true it usually is well, I am having problems already and i didn't even get the damm thing yet. They charged my card and now I am on hold with the billing for like 20 minutes I have been caller #1 for 20 minutes now. They charged my credit card I called my bank and they said that the hold they put on can stay as long as they want, then I have to dispute it. They said the best thing to do is call the MJ company. Well thats what I am doing and Ima getting more pissed!!! :angry: I did some research on the Magic Jack and all the feedback i got was bad there have only been a few that have success with it and there is no 911..Sorry I'll stick to my hubby phone cards..I think this might be a fly by night that makes a ton of money then we never hear from them again, No 1-800 #'s thats fishy to me..

Good luck girls I was as hyped as the next person went and ordered and now regreting it...

Just becareful, something is not right

Cx2
02-15-2009, 05:23 PM
Ok got threw!!! :hee: Damm that took 45 minutes...I dont know ladies :cool:.... Please be careful something tells me that its fishy, it seems some had good luck but when you google it ummm, anyway I pulled out... That 50.00 bucks I can give my hubby in phone cards..

But so sorry i was excited too but I wanted to come here and tell y'all what trouble i got in with the impulsive buy I made, now Im 50.00 bucks short in my account..:angry:

RMR 6789
02-15-2009, 06:39 PM
i have magic jack! how much cheaper is it..if at all when they call collect? i had him put this number on his list with my other house and cell #'s so im hoping its much cheaper

DavidsGirl4Ever
02-15-2009, 08:27 PM
I have the MJ and I did not have to show any proof to GTL....and I save a minimum of $1 per call.

sugarsmack75
02-15-2009, 11:25 PM
CX2- im not sure what your billing issue is w/ Mjack, but they do put a hold on your card for the cost of the Mjack when you order it, if you return in the time allowed, they remove the hold off your card. I ordered it and returned it once before i reordered and kept it- i wanted to take advantage of the 30 day trial thing, but SSCF only lets inmates add numbers to their call list every 3 months thats why i did what i did.

i have never had any problems w/it when i use it for regular calls, or prison calls, and it saves me $18/ per call. about 20 bucks for my bf to call me in NC from SSCF in NJ, w/ Mjack, $2.36 because i have a local number. In 2 calls it nearly paid for itself, and by the third it was straight savings. Im sorry you are having issues w/ it. theres definitely more than one way to save money on prison calls, and we all have to figure out which way suits our needs best, but it isn't a case of too good to be true, it really does work- at least for me. i would hate for others to not check it out. Although be aware that because theres no bill every month you cant really take collect or toll calls, so i still use the GTL prepay system or you can still use the inmate phone cards, where it saves you money is that you can get yourself phone number local to the prison without having another monthly bill from some other service. having the local number will reduce the GTL charges for the call, magicjack doesn't cahrge for minutes or anything just the once a year charge for the service. Good luck, i hope it all works out!

sugarsmack75
02-15-2009, 11:35 PM
Hi everyone,
I use a VOIP plan that provides me with a local area code so our calls are cheaper. I can forward the phone to any other location I may be...I pay a monthly fee for this service. I wonder if magic jack can take its place? But I too want to know whats the difference, in price, between a collect call and a prepaid call? Also, it appears to me that there is no way out of using gtl or whatever plan is in place through the prison system. Am I correct?

hi RealStreetLife,
if i understand it correctly, magicjack uses voip or something similar, but you HAVE NO MONTHLY bill, and AVOID PAYING FOR A MINUTES plan. theres no contract, just a once a year fee which is probably less than what most may for one month. that is why i chose to use it instead of any of the other programs like vonage, or conscallhome, i even considered getting a prepaid cell, but there are still so many other fees and i'd have to buy a phone and the minutes and still pay GTL.

you are right, you cant get around GTL because that is the company the prison uses for their phone service. they base their charges on how far you are from the prison your loved one is at, factor in taxes and other variables that may differ from state to state, but you can't get around them. even if the call is billed directly to your phone, and you don't literally see the GTL name attached to it, the charge you are paying is the one passed from them to your phone service provider, and then to you.

I prefer to go the ADVANCE Pay ROUTE. Its the most direct means to an end. it cuts out the middle man, it cuts out "collect" call charges, and keeps you from talking over your limit. When they have their money [your money] up front and the call is paid for directly, it minimizes certain processing and billing fees because they are technically getting payment at the time of services rendered.
The cost of the prepaid call depends on distance you are from the place you are calling. with magic jack, because you dont have a bill, i dont think you can have collect calls anyway so you have to have the prepay account. Unless your inmate has a phone account or calling card type system where they can prepay from their end.
i dont know if that answers your question, but i hope it shed a little light. it may not be the perfect answer for everyone, but it works great for me and saves me a small fortune.
good luck!

Cx2
02-17-2009, 07:55 PM
Sugar,

Your right, it sounds good if you dont have the billing issues and can get a local number like the prison...No doubt a good save..I have choose to pass for other reasons I dont want my landline deleted and so forth..

And I hope your right I hope my comments didn't turn eveyone off :rolleyes:, I do say be careful though, there are alot of bad experiences out there with the MJ...

:D

missmymaffew
02-20-2009, 10:16 AM
Now im worried.. ive been redin about how you all have been using MagicJack and so I went to their website and I had a Live Chat with an agent and he told me NO they dont accept collect calls... Here is the convo with him. I really want to get something being that I onluy have a cell phone. unless anyone knows how to get calls from prisons on my cell...

Gary: Hello, how may I help you?
melissa: hi i was just wondering does MJ accept collect calls from correctional facilities?
melissa: one i get my MJ should i chose an area code thats the same as the correctional facility ?
Gary: Hi Melissa, I do apologize but magicJack does not support inbound or outbound collect calls.
melissa: OK! thank you
Gary: You're most welcome and thank you for your patience.
Gary: Is there anything else I may help you with today?
melissa: No Thank You!
Gary: Thank you for stopping by to chat, I hope I did a good job at addressing your concerns. Please take a second to answer a one question survey about the service I provided. Please click the "close" button on the top right of this screen and the survey will appear. Thanks again!
Gary: You're most welcome.
Gary: Have a great day.

Jocenana
02-20-2009, 01:09 PM
All you have to do is go on line and you can print a copy of your yearly bill, they only thing is that there is not address on it.

sugarsmack75
02-20-2009, 01:15 PM
missmymaffew- its true, no collect calls w. Mjack, but to get around that issue all you have do is set up an Advance Pay ACCt w.GTL for your Mjack number. That way it is no longer a collect call, and it should go right thru. the only charges you are paying are the GTL charges which you have to pay anyway, you are just paying them up front. Those charges should be minimized by using your Mjack number w/ an area code local-or closer to the prison.

otherwise if the prison has a call account or card system, where the inmate pays for the calls -you should also be able to use the Mjack # that way too.

hope that helps,
good luck!

Jocenana
02-20-2009, 01:26 PM
You would have to set up an account the correctional billing service or something similar to where you are. Not sure what facility he is in but correctional billing service does do arizona and it is a prepaid account. I use one on my magic jack with no problems....

tearsonmypillow
02-23-2009, 08:39 PM
OK, just got off the chat with Majicjack and this is what I got.

http://service.liveperson.net/hcp/chatinfo/chatinfo.gifPlease wait for a site operator to respond.
http://service.liveperson.net/hcp/chatinfo/chatinfo.gifYou are now chatting with 'Mikel'
Mikel: Hello, how may I help you?
Myra: I have a pre-sale question.
Mikel: Okay.
Myra: I know majicjack can receive collect calls, but are they free?
Mikel: MagicJack don't have monthly bill.
Mikel: You only have IPP.
Mikel: International Prepaid card.
Myra: I know I get a package for $39.95, but will I get billed extra if I receive collect calls?
Mikel: It will be deducted to your prepaid account.
Myra: Thank you very much.

So now we know that they actually only offer the one year for $39.95. If I get collect calls or make an international call, it gets deducted from a prepaid account and at what rate, who knows. They never mention anything about prepaid. I think this is good as long as you don't use any special features like collect calls. I don't think that my man or son can use this since they are in prison and not county jail. GTL needs to make money no matter what.

I was all excited when I read "free collect calls" that my heart was beating a mile a minute. It will work OK with the jails pre-paid.

Sorry, did not want to rain on anyones parade or anything.:o
It's just in my nature to get more information on things before I buy or get anuthing. I am just one of those people that actually reads the small fine print on everything. LOL!

MizzG58
02-24-2009, 08:14 PM
I was just reading through some of the posts and I may be wrong, but I think that we won't be able to get around GTL or whatever communications provider services your inmates facility completely. The prisons use them as a means of monitoring the phone conversations. On GTL's website they even have testimonials from their customers (police departments) on how the monitoring service helped them make arrests.

tearsonmypillow
02-25-2009, 03:32 AM
I was just reading through some of the posts and I may be wrong, but I think that we won't be able to get around GTL or whatever communications provider services your inmates facility completely. The prisons use them as a means of monitoring the phone conversations. On GTL's website they even have testimonials from their customers (police departments) on how the monitoring service helped them make arrests.

Exactly, they need to make money no matter what. When my husband called me before I used portal32, my verizon collect call bill showed charges for both verizon and GTL. GTL still took a cut of the collect call my regular land service was charging. As I have mentioned in another posting, I am trying to start class action deal against them as USA law prohibits an entity from cornering a market solely, which in GTL's case is they are the only one that can provide inmate phone service. Lucky for us, this is where Uncle Sam also wants a cut or has not been made aware. The prison system is allowed to set calling rules and who controls them, but cannot hold us at bay to the rates they choose. This is where our government steps in and determines if they are reasonable or not just like interest rates on mortgages. I have been trying to get something going on this issue, but am still gathering more information on where to pick at the government so they can press up on facility providers like GTL. We all know that the US does not allow anyone to corner one single market and our wars show proof of it. I do detective work in Los Angeles County and I am not afraid of my job being jeopardized if I get something started or because my Husband or Son are Convicts. Just simply fed up with these companies. And they know what I am talking about. Lots of posts show that “I work for GTL, CBS, PCS”, and so on. I hope those people let your company know what’s coming so they lower rates or dish out something that works for all parties and is fair. Example, GTL is already on the line according to my attorneys. I have been advised to start a website with you guys to get signatures for a Class Action Suit that I am getting going. This will mean lower reasonable rates that are cheaper than Gasoline that actually burns and is an actual product unlike airtime for phone service. We all know why MCI is off the map and GTL took over right?

If you feel me and agree, help me out with a thanks reply and I will start a site for all of us to share ideas on how to stop these bullies and start talking to our babies for less!

ravens
02-25-2009, 08:49 AM
Hey hey just wanted to pass on the BIG savings on my phone bill. I just received my first call from my man using magic jack (it hooks into your computer) the connection was excellent and i was still on the computer. The best part is that it cost $39.00 for the YEAR so no monthly bill and it's unlimited long distance and local calling. The also send it to you for free with a 30 day trial after the 30 days is when they will charge the 39 dollars. So it is worth a shot...it was no problem at all...just had to pass it on
would it work for me,,i am in florida calling montana state prison

ravens
02-25-2009, 08:57 AM
i am still confused,,,i use pcs telcom,,,,will magic jack bypass them with no fees on my prepaid account,,,please help raven

MizzG58
02-25-2009, 09:00 AM
GTL really does need to get it together. I appreciate the service that they are able to provide, but the costs and fees are ridiculous. We're charged extra fees for every little thing. They need to be called on the carpet just like all of these other businesses are during these difficult economic times. The families of incarcerated persons spend considerable amounts of money just to be able to make their loved ones time in prison a little bit bearable. Everything associated with prison costs at least twice if not three times more than in any other sector. Sometimes I feel like we family members and significant others are a sub-culture of the rest of society so they're going to make us pay extra for loving our inmates.

tearsonmypillow
02-25-2009, 10:19 AM
You can't bypass the facilities billing. If they call you collect on majicjack, you now pay majickjack and the facility through a majickjack pre-paid account. Majicjack only really works for USA regular calls, but if you make or receive international calls or collect calls, you have to pay extra.

ohiolove
03-08-2009, 02:35 AM
All you have to do is go on line and you can print a copy of your yearly bill, they only thing is that there is not address on it.

aaah!! :)
I've been looking into the MJ thing, but I didn't wanna register with them until I knew that I could get some kind of "bill" from my online account with them.
basically, what you are saying is that you can print a copy of some kind of bill, it just won't have your address on it? it has everything else, like phone number, their logo and such?

KingmanQueen
03-09-2009, 12:36 PM
I just did a chat with someone at Magic Jack see the transcript below

Fiona: Hello, how may I help you?
me: Hi I am considering getting the magic jack and would like to know if needed can I change the phone number and area code and is there a charge for that?
Me: I would also like to know can the magic jack be set up to automatically transfer phone calls to my cell phone because I am constantly on the go
Fiona: Hello Danielle
Me: Hi Fiona, are you looking up the answer to my question?
Fiona: Hi Danielle. there are no charges when you get a phone number with magicJack.
Fiona: Yes, you can set up call forwarding with magicJack.
Me: What I would like to know is If I move to a new area can I change it to a new phone number and is there a charge for a phone number change down the line?
Fiona: If you didn't have changed it yet, changing of phone numbers with magicJack for the first time is for free Danielle.
Me: does it work with a wireless connection?
Fiona: Yes, Danielle.
Me: what if I am traveling and I am in a car and the computer is not on or connected to a internet connection can the calls still be forwarded
Fiona: Yes, Danielle, even if the magicJack is not plugged in call forwarding will still work.
Me: Wonderful thanks! are there any contracts?
Me: Last question and then I believe I am done. Does Magic jack accept collect calls?
Fiona: No contracts Danielle.
Fiona: MagicJack will not support collect calls.
Me: ok have a great day
Fiona: You are most welcome, it's my pleasure to assist you.
Fiona: I hope I have made you a satisfied costumer today.
Fiona: Take care and have a great day!
Fiona: Thank you for stopping by to chat, I hope I did a good job at addressing your concerns. Please take a second to answer a one question survey about the service I provided. Please click the "close" button on the top right of this screen and the survey will appear. Thanks again!

stefbear
03-10-2009, 07:46 AM
There has to be something that works that is not a scam we can use and trust. The majic jack sounds to good to be true and I agree the prison phone systems are different and may be blocked through it. It would be nice to hear from someone who has actually used it to know for sure. I have VOIP phone service because of where we live Verizon isn't available yet. But, there has to be something that works that we could successfully use.

Chell_Belle
03-10-2009, 07:03 PM
This is the conversation I had with a Magic Jack representative today. I have been checking into this and was curious.

Karen: Hello, how may I help you?
Chell: Hi.
Karen: Hi there.
Chell: I was considering ordering Magic Jack but I need to know if I will still be able to receive calls from the prison system as long as I have a prepaid account with them
Karen: yes, you can still receive calls for that Chell.
Chell: also can I get a number that will be local to the facility that he is located
Karen: for the magicjack you can choose the areacode and prefix that you want Chell.
Chell: thank you very much you have answered all my questions
Karen: you are welcome.
Karen: Thank you for stopping by to chat, I hope I did a good job at addressing your concerns. Please take a second to answer a one question survey about the service I provided. Please click the "close" button on the top right of this screen and the survey will appear. Thanks again!

tearsonmypillow
03-10-2009, 08:55 PM
It does work if your still going to pay the facility and so does vonage and skype, but I guess what everyone here needs is something that will also forward to a cell and will provide a bill accepted by the prison.

sueshe
03-15-2009, 10:22 AM
When having another service like Magic Jack or ConsCallHome, one needs to know if you are being charged for something other than a local call. MagicJack and ConsCallHome allow you choose a phone number. In Missouri, all intra state calls for Missouri Department of Corrections are 10 cents a minute, so there is no need use one of these services to have a different number, but only as a choice for replacing your home service provider. ** But for other facilities, and fed facilities, one benefits greatly by choosing a number in the same exchange as the facility. Then when the call is routed through the designated inmate phone service, the call is charged as local call and is a lot cheaper. I have a friend in Federal custody which uses CBS as the calling service. The ConsCallHome account costs 24.95 a month for 300 minutes(other plans, as well as monthly/yearly payments and purchase of additional minutes are also available). It transfers the call to you number of choice, home/cell. You can also add another number for $3.99 a month. What is now different, is the CBS call is a flat 1.18 for 1-30 minutes as opposed to 8.98 for a 30 minute call. Do your research to determine if either service helps you in your particular state/type of facility.

DaQueenOfKing
07-08-2009, 09:47 PM
So did it rally work and how much?
im chatting with a live rep from magic jack right now to see if calls can come in through gtl. Well see....if this really works that would be a huge savings!!