View Full Version : Racism in Prison between inmates...spills over into the inmates visits...

LadyBaby
05-14-2008, 04:05 PM
It's so bad how prisons are ran, you know races not getting along, if you're black you can't come over here, if you're a northerner latin, you can't walk over here, if you're white,. you can't sit over here, if you are a sorreno, you can't walk over here. I know racism is EVERYWHERE, but at least I can still sit in the front of the bus if I want to (although someone may not want me to - it's not a "rule" anymore) It makes it sooo hard on us during visits because sometimes when I visit, and I'm in line waiting to be processed small chit chat can begin with a person of another race. When I get inside, my man may say, "don't sit at that table, I can't sit with a sorreno/black/white/northerner"...He isn't aware that the person's wife and I exchanged smiles in the parking lot. So I have to act like I have never seen her before. There are also some of you who have your pictures on here that I see when I go to see my man, but I dare not smile or let you know I recognize you for fear that our men don't get along...What a world we live in....:(. I wish MLK's dream could really come true all the way...:cry:

mistydawn
05-14-2008, 04:13 PM
I know the "politics" stink. Sometimes there is tension in the visiting room from drama going on in the yard. And even though my husband never says anything about it, i can see him scanning the room constantly checking out what's going on. I wish he could relax more. He told me that he'll relax when he finally gets to come home.

bernadette
05-14-2008, 04:22 PM
I know how you feel but like I have always told my husband because ya'll can't get along on the inside doesnt mean the wives and girlfriends can not get along
my husband is always scanning the visiting room when i question him he just says I am paying attention to what is going on is all

LadyBaby
05-14-2008, 04:23 PM
Right Mistydawn...I guess there is some kinda "code" where they can't discuss what's going on in there, but you can definitely see the tension.

SaNdiA
05-14-2008, 04:27 PM
i know what u mean.. at my mans prison tables are assigned so i dont have to worry about where i can and cant sit.. my man is black and i am mexican. theres been a few times that i take our son to the vending machines or the bathroom and ill ALWAYS have someone tell me he is cute or ask how old he is and we'll exchange smiles.. mostly mexican ppl becasue at first glance my son doesnt look mixed.
well as soon as they see that im there to visit my man and hes black the reaction is so weird they wont even turn to look our way...
it makes me feel bad also when i have conversations with women in line and as soon as our men get to the tables we have to act like nothing..
its weird but i dont want him getting into anything.. i know thats how it works with them.

codasgirl04
05-14-2008, 04:39 PM
this may open up a can of worms so i do apologize first if i offend anyone on here but what i don't like hearing from my man at visitation (who is white) is that everytime he goes out to the yard he pointed this out this weekend, that all the black men sit together braiding each others hair and all the mexican men are in there own group lifting weights, but why when a group of white men are together doing push ups together, the guards come and break them up because they are being racist and not allowing other races to come work out with them? How is that fair?

LadyBaby
05-14-2008, 04:39 PM
SaNdiA, you know EXACTLY what I mean to the 10th power! Keep handling it like a true soldia...:)!

ariesandtaurus
05-14-2008, 04:40 PM
What nationality is a serreno? It is like that in the inmate prison yard...

LadyBaby
05-14-2008, 04:41 PM
Serrano is a a southern latino... (towards LA and surrounding areas)

PTO-92958
05-14-2008, 04:52 PM
It's like Cali prisons and NY prisons are on separate planets, not just opposite coasts.
Yeah, there's segregation amongst the inmates, but nothing like you describe. And I've never seen it "spill over" onto the visitation floor.
They got their own sections of the yard, and their own groups etc. Working out/hanging out/associating with etc. But I see all kinds of races interacting and speaking to each other at visitation.
I'm sure it's more pronounced inside once the visits are over and they're back in the yard and on the block. But I know my man talks to dudes of all races/religions etc.
Besides, you don't have friends in there anyway...you have associates at best.
That's just my New York view of it, from my side of the wall, I guess.
(I'm not taking Gangs into account here, however)

LadyBaby
05-14-2008, 05:00 PM
It's like Cali prisons and NY prisons are on separate planets, not just opposite coasts.
Yeah, there's segregation amongst the inmates, but nothing like you describe. And I've never seen it "spill over" onto the visitation floor.
They got their own sections of the yard, and their own groups etc. Working out/hanging out/associating with etc. But I see all kinds of races interacting and speaking to each other at visitation.
I'm sure it's more pronounced inside once the visits are over and they're back in the yard and on the block. But I know my man talks to dudes of all races/religions etc.
Besides, you don't have friends in there anyway...you have associates at best.
That's just my New York view of it, from my side of the wall, I guess.
(I'm not taking Gangs into account here, however)

I've gotcha...It's not that anyone has to be friends, I just mean at least cordial, you know?

lilithinwaiting
05-14-2008, 06:15 PM
Racism runs strong in prisons. Oklahoma is racist and still pretty segregated in many areas. You would think with all that the world has been through and is facing that racism would not have any part in it but there will always be the stupid narrow minded walking amongst us, who are only looking for a reason to hate.

Mrs. Nunez
05-14-2008, 08:00 PM
Good evening everyone,

What I'm reading makes me so sad and sick to my stomach. I'm so glad my husband is on the east coast. I know that racism is every where, but for it to spill over into the visits is insane. If me and my husband were in Cali we would have problems because my husband is a light-skinned Dominican/ Porto Rican and I'm African- American and Cuban. So he would probably have problems with other hispanics/blacks if they saw what race his wife was.That's Deep. LadyBaby, I'm sorry you have to go through such things. I don't even know what to say :( Except: imagine my NYC arms giving you a big hug :) don't worry every thing will be okay!

Much love and respect,
Mrs.Nunez

selinaz
05-15-2008, 09:11 AM
Okay, I know there is racism that goes on in the TX prisons...but when I go visit Bobby, I have never noticed anything like you guys describe?!?! :confused: I never really pay any attention and always smile at everyone. :) I am hispanic and a black lady sat next to me at last visit and had some questions so she asked me. I had no problem talking to her and Bobby didn't tell me anything? Her guy came out and there was not any tension that I noticed. I am pretty friendly and I guess Bobby keeps me out of a lot of stuff though, but I would think if it was as bad as the problems posted here no matter how naive I am, I would still notice. :o

mrsthunderbolt
05-15-2008, 09:54 AM
You are right codas and it makes me sick. I think that if the CO's were no so racist then maybe things could start to change. But as long as they are allowed to be corrupt & ractist well....It is what it is:angry:

LOWRYDERHYNA
05-15-2008, 12:22 PM
Its like that with us because he is asian and i am mixed with native and mexican. he would tell me that his group got into it with da surenos and he knows that i had grew up in the south side lifestyle.(syrenas) so when i make coments he gets upsets but then he don't let that get inbetween us. so when we have visist i say sup to the surenos and he like wtf but he does get mad but i told him that my ppl. you can feel the tension in the room and there are times i tell him about certian things and since its face to face he lets me know more about code and who they don't get along with.

greeneyedlady19
05-15-2008, 12:41 PM
I've gotcha...It's not that anyone has to be friends, I just mean at least cordial, you know? :)were at a calif prison also. again this does not go out into the visiting room at all. actually, the inmate who works in the visiting room is black. my husband and myself are white, we have a blast with this man taking our pix. he's always super nice and we get along just fine. sorry, you have to deal with that.:confused:

KARMA1234
05-15-2008, 12:41 PM
Arizona isnt as into the whole prison gang thing as the coasts I think. I have never seen a problem at visits nor have I ever had a problem. The seperation of races does exists, I know my man has told me that he only hangs with the whites and that most of the races keep to themselves and if stuff " goes off" you go with your own...
other then that, havent had a problem. I keep to myself if I am ever in a line and I try to show respect no matter what someone's race is..
Also he has told me that VISITATION ROOMS are basically neutral grounds.. in other words, he might speak to someone in the visitation room that he would not speak to on the yard.. You dont cause trouble in visitation!!

peace and love, KARMA

Jayzwife
05-15-2008, 03:14 PM
What is going to happen if we get a black president then what? I am so glad that my husband is at a camp and this is not really an issue. He has a little circle of friends and they are from different nationalities. He is not racist at all and neither am I. I believe that people should not be judged by the color of their skin but we don't live in a perfect world. So I'm sure it will continue to be issues regarding skin color, weight, height, and whatever else they feel like fighting about. But me personally I will continue to be kind to everyone no matter what you look like. And I feel sorry for those of you that have to deal with this madness.:(

one_luv
05-15-2008, 03:41 PM
I have lived in and visited several US states, and besides the south, California is the most racist state I've ever been too. Everyone has issues, but Cali seems to be in its own world with racial politics. We just don't have those issues in Oregon prisons. Sure there are the gangs, but there isn't this hatred. Whites intermingle with Blacks on the yard without any fear.

And at the prison where I visit, black, brown or white; the women there are all very supportive of each other- unless you cut in line.

angelicscars03
05-15-2008, 03:45 PM
You know, I've always wondered if the prisons promote this type of racism as a means to control the inmates.

LOWRYDERHYNA
05-15-2008, 05:14 PM
Arizona isnt as into the whole prison gang thing as the coasts I think. I have never seen a problem at visits nor have I ever had a problem. The seperation of races does exists, I know my man has told me that he only hangs with the whites and that most of the races keep to themselves and if stuff " goes off" you go with your own...
other then that, havent had a problem. I keep to myself if I am ever in a line and I try to show respect no matter what someone's race is..
Also he has told me that VISITATION ROOMS are basically neutral grounds.. in other words, he might speak to someone in the visitation room that he would not speak to on the yard.. You dont cause trouble in visitation!!

peace and love, KARMA
my baby is now in Arizona in the immgration hold and of coarse they never got along but now he has no choice, he is living in da pods with surenos, piasa, and even his own kind. i ask him how does it feel being living in the world with his enemies and he told me that right at this point in his life he don't care anymore. he only wants one thing and that is to go home. (2 more months)

Ponchos Love
05-15-2008, 05:37 PM
...I thank GOD that we dont have this issue in our visiting room. My man smiles in our pictures now regardless to the the politics they respect that room. But all I can say is pray for your visiting room so that GOD can shine his light in that prison your visiting. Ill tell you ur prison is not perfect but I have met girls & men in every color there that have blessed my life.(THANKS TO JESUS!!)

SexyChef1
05-16-2008, 10:06 AM
We are in the deep south and where my man is there are very few "other" races either ya black or white and they dont really seem to give a crap who sits or talks to who...we are there to visit our men, sons, friends and family...Thank Goodness we dont have to add that foolishness to our list of things to deal with during visits.

MizJohnson
05-16-2008, 10:20 AM
I haven't been to visitation, but Jerome has never told me about any racism issues going on where he is. Course, he would just ignore it if there were. He doesn't let stuff like that get to him, and neither do I. I'm not gonna miss out on talking to a really cool person just cuz they're black or serreno or whatever else they might be... That's ignorance.
But the most racist states I've heard of are Cali and then Georgia. Georgia is BAD. lol. I was there asking for directions one time, and everybody said they didn't know the place. lol. When I found the place, it was right up the street! They wouldn't tell me because I was white! hahaha. I just laugh about it cuz it's pretty ridiculous.

RedRider
05-16-2008, 10:21 AM
I think it is great that people are talking about racism here. I've been doing it for years in a magazine I edit called California Prison Focus (the rules here will not allow me to post the URL, but you can do a Google search). My editorials consistently rail against racism on the inside, but family members need to do the same. No place in the nation is as bad as California prisons when it comes to racism. And conditions on the inside will never change for the better until the prisoners there can overcome this division, a division that only serves the interests of the state. Family members and loved ones of prisoners should take a proactive role in helping to overcome this reactionary and self-destructive evil.

LadyBaby
05-16-2008, 10:29 AM
So RedRider, are you saying that the state encourages racism in the prisons?

Seatrout
05-16-2008, 01:04 PM
I'm sorry that you feel this way. Only once did my boyfriend look over his shoulder looking worried about what was going on behind him.
I guess that my man and I were just fortunate because nothing like this ever happened with us while he was gone; or maybe we just turned our heads to it... He told me in multiple letters how the race card didn't seem to apply to him although it was all around him. Maybe thats because we're in California where most people are VERY openminded, or maybe its because he is very easy to get along with and never pressed an issue towards others which made them comfortable ... I don't know. It makes me irrate when I hear about things like this. I hope that someday soon people learn that racism and hatred are just weakness and insecurity in disguise...

yolie816
05-17-2008, 06:29 PM
Honestly I have never paid much attention. Where he is at we don't sit at tables its chairs side by side. So I have enough of a hard time looking at him with out breaking my neck. Sometimes the CO's could care less if you turn in your seat, but others tell you not too. My man is Mexican from Texas and I am Black/Mexican from Illinois he looks just as dark as me. The only thing that keeps his head moving is the sound of keys he is like a dam dog. He can't keep his head straight when he hears keys.

ladyjgermany
05-25-2008, 10:10 PM
Whats really sad is when a inmate has to lie and tell his cellies that his mother is another race other thatn her own!. I have two cousins that are both in a california state prison. One of my cousins is half black half mexican and his brother is black..both have the same mother and different fathers. When my cousin goes to visit her son( sorreno) he has to tell his home boys his mother is cuban because they ask him why is he visiting with a black woman. Now his younger brother just got sentenced to 18 years he is black and his gang he claims is CRIPS. I hate to think how these two brothers have to handle themselves in the california prison system. When a riot breaks out unfortunately they would have to fight against each other. I just don't understand all this racisim. I just wish these men would wake up and realize that it is the system versus them not them verses them. I get so mad when my husband tells me about how the blacks are funkin with the whites amd the mexicans are funkin with the blacks. It makes me sick to my stomach. I always tell him that I think they are stupid to fight against each other. If it was me I would be revolting against the CDC not the other inmates. I would be the female version of George Jackson. They need to understand that when they fight each other they are doing exactly what the "MAN" wants them to do, that way they can keep them locked even longer. Can we say "JOB SECURITY" The CO"s play a big role in keeping the racisim alive as well. It's an outrage!