View Full Version : can i write a friend if i was in jai? help

maggiek
05-12-2008, 09:54 PM
i just got out of county jail in ny. i served 19 days for a dwi. my conditional discharge paper says not to "consort" with disrepuutable people. because i didnt get a chance to say goodbye to a good friend i met in county, i wrote her a letter explaining that i was rushed out. is it a violation of a conditional discharge to write a letter? does consort mean actually hang out with or is writing a letter consorting? please help i am nervous:( p.s i am ot on probation or parole

tinktink5
05-12-2008, 11:54 PM
you should be fine i highly doubt anything will happen from you writing a inmate. but u should call your po and ask dont tell the u did it just ask if you can send one.

maggiek
05-13-2008, 01:25 AM
im not on porobation or parole.... its a "conditonial discharge" warning not to "consort" e/unreputable people. i just got out friday and have no idea who even checks up on u cuz there isnt any prbation... im just worried. the letter was innocent just saying i got home ok and plans for dchool, etc..... thanks for ur reply though, i live in ny n they are realllll strict w/dwi stuff here. just dont know if im being super paranoid.:confused:

robs_angel
05-13-2008, 01:33 AM
I DONT THINK YOU HAVE ANYTHING TO WORRY ANYTHING, I WOULD GUESS IT WOULD MEAN IF YOU MAYBE CAUGHT DOING CRIMINAL ACTIVITY WITH OTHERS THAT MAYBE ON PAROLE OR SOMETHING.. WRITING A LETTER YOU SHOULD BE FINE

SARAH MOATS

TympanicHippo
05-13-2008, 01:46 AM
You are Internet savvy. Go to the NYDOC to find out about the correspondence between former inmates and a current inmate.

As far as you not knowing what your conditional discharge is for and for how long. . .the papers you were given when you were discharged spell it out, you had to read it and sign it no?

Read it before you ask for help. If you don't understand it then spell out the language in a post completely so we can help and/or advise.

Bottom line, take responsibility for your actions and figure it out if you can, if you can't then I'll help you any way I possibly can as I'm sure many members will also.

If you think I'm harsh well, get over it and get on with your life. . .don't sweat the small stuff, like my opinion.

AlwaysUs2011
05-13-2008, 08:14 AM
I was on a conditional discharge in NY. I had no papers to sign or anything, was just told if I got into any trouble or was hanging around people that got into trouble, my charges would be brought back up.

maggiek
05-13-2008, 08:16 AM
"refrain from frequenting unlawful or disreputable places or consorting with disreputable people". A Corporal C.O told me that disreputable places were whore houses/crack houses. i was never explained what the other part meant, i am tryng to get in touch with my attorney today.... i am just confused if "consort" means real life or via mail as well. p.s my friend in county hasnt actually been sentenced yet.... what do u think? can they re-arrest me?

AlwaysUs2011
05-14-2008, 09:35 AM
All I was told is that I couldn't get into any trouble. And they advise you to stay away from the crack/whore houses because well if there is a raid and you are there, guess what, your charges come back. I honestly can't see how you writing to someone in jail will get you in trouble. Have you tried the NY forums?? Maybe they have more insight. Ya know what.. as I am here thinking about it. My best friends brother was locked up when I had my CD and we went to visit him. But I am not a lawyer, and don't know if CD changes from person to person or county to county.

TympanicHippo
05-14-2008, 07:42 PM
"refrain from frequenting unlawful or disreputable places or consorting with disreputable people". A Corporal C.O told me that disreputable places were whore houses/crack houses. i was never explained what the other part meant, i am tryng to get in touch with my attorney today.... i am just confused if "consort" means real life or via mail as well. p.s my friend in county hasnt actually been sentenced yet.... what do u think? can they re-arrest me?

Okay, yeah I went to Law School, chose not to take the Bar, but I'd still have to make the call about what you're asking. A definition of "consort" is: association. Being associated with a fellow prisoner might or might not be okay.

Please call or email the facility so you can be sure that you aren't hurting yourself or your friend.

maggiek
05-21-2008, 10:41 AM
tahanks, i did what u said and called the jail, they said it was ok :)