View Full Version : How does a PO find out if you've been arrested?

mombat
05-12-2008, 03:05 PM
My son was arrested for a dwi in Dallas last weekend, while on probation for a felony theft charge also in Dallas. This is the second dwi in 4 years. Who will tell the probation officer about the arrest if my son decides not to report it himself? Is the punishment much more severe for failing to confess? His next meeting with the PO is in two weeks. Is he supposed to call and report it before then, or does he have time to meet with a lawyer? What are the odds that the PO won't find out about the arrest, and that the dwi judge won't know my son was on probation?
If his probation is revoked, does he have to do the original sentence for the theft, or is that negotiable? So many questions, so little info on the web. :confused:

karen
05-12-2008, 05:21 PM
I have a friend who is a probation officer. I know she would much rather find out about her clients screw ups from them than from it coming in on the wire. I'm not sure the direct route the news travels, but they do find out. His rap sheet is available to all the entities, they will eventually find out.

I may be mistaken but aren't they told when they first get put on probation that they are to report any incidents. With the law, I would think running and dodging would just make it worse. If he went ahead and told his probation officer then the officer could work towards getting him in rehab as a secondary option to him getting violated. I know my friend prefers to do that with her clients. The PO are supposed to facilitate rehab success, not just sit around and wait for them to screw up so they can violate him. Think of it this way, the DWI only gives him one screw up... a DWI and failing to report it gives him 2!

Hopefully someone will come along and offer another opinion. That is the great thing about the boards, you get to see many thoughts and opinions on here which just help you see all sides of a situation.

Good luck
Karen

smallngood
05-12-2008, 10:58 PM
If your son is on any type of parole or probation, it is listed in the main directory (computer) of his DL- -the minute his DL is run, it shows he is on probation or whatever and the arresting agency will notify parole/probation/court.
Be safe.

Kacee
05-12-2008, 11:21 PM
Ditto to the above. My son did not notify the po and I think it could have helped a bit if he had done so. He was charge and sentenced to the 4th dui as well as probation revocation. Good luck.

ReggiesLady
05-13-2008, 05:40 AM
I know a few ex-probation and parole officers and it is always better to be up front with them. They are more willing to work with you if you are honest. It's when they feel like you are trying to hide something that they don't have or want to show any mercy. My advise would be to have you or your son contact his PO asap.

ParoledIn98
05-13-2008, 05:57 AM
Each and every morning, the local law enforcement agencies send a print out of their last days activities to the parole/probation office. Theres your answer.

Bill

Kay
05-14-2008, 09:49 AM
Let us know how things are going and remember we are here for you.

mombat
05-14-2008, 10:01 AM
Thank you, katyb. I really needed to hear that right now. We are hanging in there. My son has a lawyer for the DWI, and we are in contact with one to represent him in Waco if and when there is a probation revocation hearing. I think that will take first priority, and will happen before the dwi trial, but that's just a guess on my part. My son thinks he can wait until his next scheduled visit to the PO to tell him about the DWI, which is two weeks from today. I disagree, and think he should call and tell him now. Not sure if he will follow my advice on this one or not. Anyway, thanks for the shoulder.

Unbroken
05-14-2008, 10:49 AM
Just my two cents Mombat, but I think your son would do very well to listen to his Momma.... putting off legal issues that could involve probation revocation, is not a good thing to do.... he might save himself the revocation by simply making a phone call so the PO doesn't think he has been hiding something for such a long time.

Peace, Dan

ReggiesLady
05-14-2008, 02:54 PM
Hopefully, he'll take your advice.

Tracy
05-15-2008, 05:25 AM
I have to say I agree with Unbroken, and everyone else. I know he doesn't want to face it probably, but it can only hurt if he puts it off.

Let us know how you are....hope things work out and hang in there.

ParoledIn98
05-15-2008, 05:45 AM
I hope he decides to listen to Mom...I have found that a hard head makes for a soft ass!!!!!!

Bill

lormur
05-15-2008, 11:55 PM
Bill, You have so much to offer and it is really good to see you back online. We're gonna have anothe G 2 G and we're plannin on you being there. You are our mascot and you know it.
J

Kay
05-17-2008, 10:20 PM
Yeah, what Jean said!!

shagginabit
05-21-2008, 11:51 AM
My son was arrested for a dwi in Dallas last weekend, while on probation for a felony theft charge also in Dallas. This is the second dwi in 4 years. Who will tell the probation officer about the arrest if my son decides not to report it himself? Is the punishment much more severe for failing to confess? His next meeting with the PO is in two weeks. Is he supposed to call and report it before then, or does he have time to meet with a lawyer? What are the odds that the PO won't find out about the arrest, and that the dwi judge won't know my son was on probation?
If his probation is revoked, does he have to do the original sentence for the theft, or is that negotiable? So many questions, so little info on the web. :confused:

Probation officers/Parole officers get a "flash notice of arrest" in their mailbox once an offender gets arrested. Offenders are required to let their PO's know when they get arrested, but by the time they get out and notify the officer they already know anyway. The judge is going to know your son is on probation, especially here in Texas. That info will pop up quite quickly, and there may be a slight chance that your son's PO will have to go to court or at least send paperwork to the court. What happens next depends on the case. He may get his probation reinstated; he may not. Hope this helped some.