View Full Version : Do you have a PenPal at Holman?

I am R.A.B's
04-24-2008, 06:54 PM
Hi All, Just wondering if any of you have a pen pal at Holman and are willing to share your stories, such as their name, how you found them, how long you have been writing, and how you feel about the experience.

I am thinking about looking for a pen pal and wanted to hear some experiences first.

Thanks,

canadiangrl
05-30-2008, 04:17 PM
Hey, in response to your post. I am currently penpals with an inmate at Holman, and I've been writing to him for almost a year now. I chose him at random when I decided to start writing an inmate, and it's been one of the most fulfilling experiences of my relatively young life. Since I'm married, it was just to establish a friendship, nothing romantic. If you can commit to writing on a regular basis, I believe you'll find it very rewarding as well. Since I'm from Canada though, it makes sending mail slow, and money orders impossible :(

coder08
06-08-2008, 09:23 PM
My family and I have a friend at Holman, he was on death row and we visted him about 12+ years ago and we met 2 other inmates through him and visited all three. After 10 years of not being in contact with them, i decided to get in contact with them again. I found out all 3 had their DR sentence commuted to life without parole, Thank God! I'm so glad I got back in touch with them again, it has been too long!:)

Babydoll123
06-21-2008, 02:49 PM
Yes, I have a penpal at Holman.
We haven't written to each other for a long time but I hope we can become friends.

Rach806
06-21-2008, 04:29 PM
Hi ... I have a penpal in Holman, we've been writing about 1 year now. I can honestly say that I've found a good friend, even though I'm married, and I've never regretted writing that first letter. He's never asked for anything and has always been a complete gentleman, so I'm happy :)

crisco
06-30-2008, 10:44 PM
I know most males inmates want female penpals but there is a desperate need for secular non-religious penpals between males to males. In reality, these guys need another guy just to talk to and listen to them. They do not want the Jesus stuff and just an ear to listen.

In our society, most guys do not want to even deal with these people. And yet, these are people who are the most need for positive role models. It is sad that I am one of few people that do care but I am going through the pain of lonliness, boredom, and isolation. And yet just writing to these people would help them to feel less lonely and feel that they have friend on outside that believe in them. Just this encouragement might prevent violence and help inmate focus on programs and not get in trouble with gangs.
:thumbsup:

Companionate
01-27-2009, 05:22 PM
I have a pen pal at Holman. We've been writing a few months now. It's funny how I found him. Originally I was watching a documentary on the WE channel about women married to prisoners. They had Richard Ramirez's wife on there and Eric Menendez. Then there was this young girl who met her husband on a website. Months later I was writing a paper for psych class and I was researching how isolation affects people. I started thinking about Death Row I found a page with a whole list of DR inmates looking for pen pals. On the bottom of his ad the site administrator had put this inmate is recieving no mail so I thought I should write to him. The holidays are coming and nobody should be alone on the holidays so I did and he wrote back. It's been good so far. If all things go well hope to visit in October.

Rach806
01-28-2009, 05:15 AM
That's great ... and even better that you're in the States and able to visit. He'll be so pleased ... I hope it goes well. If you want to stay in touch, PM me and I'll send you my email address.:)

joyfulflower
01-28-2009, 03:19 PM
I have a handful of pals in Holman. And as I am working for an organization I'm in contact with something over 80 inmates. The most regular one I'm writing to is an inmate care taker, he has a lot of stories and feelings to share. If you want some addies I can give you. Most of the guys are really nice and fun to read

Doremi
02-06-2009, 09:00 AM
I have a penpal in Holman, too. We've been writing about (almost) 2 years. He's a good friend, and my trusted man. He's my Friend!:)

lisainengland
02-09-2009, 02:45 AM
I have 2 pen pals at holman. One of them I picked at random off a website and we had a really strong relationship. Unfortuanatly it all went wrong and I had to make the decision to just be friends with him rather than take the relationship further. I knew of my other pen pal through my cousin as she used to write to him and he had an email forwarded to me asking for a friend. I now have really good friendships with both of them. Sometimes its hard but you just have to take the rough with the smooth.xxx

kimshei
07-09-2009, 01:33 PM
I just started writting to a gentleman on D.R. I particularly wanted to write to someone on D.R but the reason why I chose him was because a woman, from this newsgroup??put an add out saying that he didn't have a penpal and that he was soon to be executed. Well, for some reason I jumped and I'm so happy (not sure if that's really the word, but I know in my heart of hearts, this is the right decision.period.) I "adopted" him. teehee ( :

He's an elder-older gentle man in his early 60's (I'm a young 40yearold)whose totally respectable. I'm so glad I've met him. He's very insightful and I really admire him. 31.5 years living like that. Imagine!

I'm so grateful that I found this newsgroup. I'll need the support. His execution is scheduled for Dec '09 or Jan '10 -sigh-

-Today is Day three. Trying to figure out how to send a money order to him. He wants to be able to buy stamps more easily. I'd like to totally cover that, plus a wee bit more. Even Holman's office isn't positive about how the forms are supposed to be! argh sorry just worried i may never get through this sometimes!

lisainengland
07-10-2009, 03:39 AM
Hi Kimshei, You will always find support on here. I am so sorry to hear about your pen pals possible date. It sounds as though he has found a good friend in you though. Holman now has an online inmate account that you can add funds to. It will go straight on to his account and is quicker then money orders.

sweetnina
07-13-2009, 08:40 AM
You can also use jpay!:)

Chelle1972
07-30-2009, 10:41 PM
My fiance' is on DR at Holman. Of course we have been together on and off for 13 years and he has only been there for 3. It is not easy and takes a strong woman to have a pen pal on DR. It is particularly hard when he speaks of the executions that happen and how they are sure to make enough noise to let the guy know they are thinking of him right before he passes. It is very hard on them since they can see the people coming and going from the execution building. I would suppose it would be easier on your emotions if you just had a friendship going with your pen. Although it is looking like we may have hit a turning point which may overturn my fiances' conviction. Pray for us ladies..there is much power in prayer in numbers!