View Full Version : Leg Monitor & Phone Line

sandrasheets
04-23-2008, 01:52 PM
I understand that when my husband comes home IF he has to have a leg monitor that it's hooked up through a regular land line phone. What if I have digital phone service from Time Warner? Will that not work?

Tracy
04-23-2008, 03:08 PM
sandra, I may be wrong, but I don't think you can have digital. I think it has to be a plain jane, one line phone line, no call waiting, nothing like that.

But I don't have experience and just trying to answer on what I remember reading here...which, today my memory is not so good! Someone will come along that knows alot more than I do and help you.

funtie8
04-23-2008, 03:32 PM
You won't be able to have a digital line. When you do get the line hooked up it cannot have any extra features on it.

sandrasheets
04-23-2008, 03:40 PM
I don't have any extra features, that I know. It's through Time Warner but it IS plugged into a phone jack. So maybe it's not digital?? I guess I should call them. Thanks!

jerc78
04-23-2008, 05:23 PM
i work for comcast digital voice which is the digital service you are talking about and in order to use it would have to get extra line (phone number)and the second line can have no features.. we have a lot of customers with it on....

sandrasheets
04-23-2008, 05:53 PM
Oh great. Thanks so much!!!

redroses
04-23-2008, 09:05 PM
Just heads up , make sure the line AND monitor is setup before he gets out . I know someone who came out and we didn't know the exact date he was getting out . Well he called from the walls unit outside and said he was catching the bus home . Well the line was there but the his assigned parole officer didn't make it out to the place to hookup the monitor . Well at 11pm that night 4 cops knocked on the door and picked him up and took him to jail because his P.O. never came by to do his job . After a week in jail and calling his P.O and the P.O.'s supervisor he finally was free after 19 years .

sandrasheets
04-23-2008, 09:32 PM
Lovely! I think I'm still confused on why I need two seperate lines, but I guess I'll deal with that later. We don't use the phone line at all, it was set up JUST for this purpose. And I'm still confused on whether or not the line is correct...it's digital through a modem yet is plugged into a phone jack. Uhhh...what!? =) Nonetheless, I don't even know yet if he'll need a monitor. I was just trying to prepare early for him coming home!

Tracy
04-24-2008, 01:37 AM
Well, you know TDCJ NEVER makes anything easy!

I am glad you got some answers.

ParoledIn98
04-24-2008, 06:55 AM
If you need any other info concerning the monitor/box, feel free to contact me...I have all the Administrative Directives governing its use/misuse.

Bill

RobinsMan
04-24-2008, 07:25 AM
Bill, can you explain a little bit about how the phone line is involved in the release on a monitor?

Oh, and I might hit you up about AD's for the monitor.

ParoledIn98
04-24-2008, 09:33 AM
Ok...no prob...I'll do my best to try and explain all of its aspects...Here goes:

It's best and probably a safer way to go by contacting the local phone company and having a single line installed for the monitor to use. The phone line is plugged into the black box monitor...It receives downloads from the monitoring company which is then used to regulate the parolees comings and goings. The parolee is required to submit a weekly schedule, one week in advance to the parole officer. The parole officer then contacts the monitoring company giving them the approved times the parolee is allowed to leave and his/her returning times. If the parolee leaves early of returns late...the monitor automatically calls the Parole Command Center, Located in Austin, Texas, and a warrant is issued at that time. There are times that the Command Center will call your home and verify that you are there and the equipment is operating correctly...they will ask the parolee their SID Number (State Identification Number) to verify that who they are talking to is in fact the parolee :))

The Monitor is equipped with a tampering device located inside of it...if the monitor is moved excessively, tilted, bumped and banged, phone line removed, a warrant is issued automatically. You have to remain withing the range of the monitor (the ankle bracelet must be detected by the box at all times). It's virtually fool-proof...trust me...convicts have tried every method to beat it and are still doing time because of it!!!

The monitor is very stressful...there are so many uncontrolled things that happen. It will make you pull your hair out at times...If the power goes out...it has a battery back-up that lasts an hour of so...if that runs out, a warrant is issued...if the phone is off the hook or in use excessively, a warrant is issued...if the command center cannot communicate with the box / ankle bracelet for any reason...a warrant is issued. If you have pets...keep them away from the phone line/monitoring box...they will cause a warrant in a heartbeat...been there and done that...Also, if your parole officer screws up your times...a warrant is issued...it's up to you to prove your times that were submitted. (Now you can understand why so many people cut the damn bracelet off and run for it) it's a bitch to live on it...oh yea...here's the bad part: Let's say you get a job working inside a building and you are on a GPS Monitoring System...the satellites have a hard time tracking the ankle bracelet inside buildings...you are sent a message via the ankle bracelet that says, "go outside"...this happens every 15-25 minutes...an employer will not put up with this and you will be terminated within 2 days (been there and done that too).

GPS and Electronic Monitoring is a hard row to hoe...I did it from 1999 until July 2007...went to jail 15 times and ISF 3 times because of it's screw-ups...you have to really want to remain free to be a success story on this type of parole. One very important word of advice: Document everything...any little thing that happens and also keep a copy of your schedule...you'll need it numerous times to refer back to. Also, be damned sure to have your parole officer's cell phone number and call him/her anytime anything out of the ordinary happens...its fatal for them to have to guess what is going on with you...call them and let them know immediately if you have to go outside of your schedule or the box screws up...this is your freedom...protect it at all costs!!!!!

Hope this helps explain it a little better for all involved.

For more info, Please See: http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/bpp/policies_directives/policies_directives.html

Policys: BPP-POL. 05-03.01 (http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/bpp/policies_directives/POL%2005-0301%20_Special%20Condition%20SISP_.pdf) (SISP) and BPP-POL. 06-07.01 (http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/bpp/policies_directives/POL%2006-0701%20_Special%20Condition%20X.pdf) (Condition "X" )

Bill :thumbsup:

Sefton
04-24-2008, 10:18 AM
Bill nailed on a lot of points there.
I was on a monitor during pre-trial release and my community supervision officer was hardcore about documentation of movements.
In my setup, a contractor came out and connected the box and put the monitor on; wore it to work and church, etc.
Fortunately, he didn't zap a warrant on me though when the box didn't record a couple of times. He has a data computer readout sheet that he scans over at the next meeting and cross-examines you on it.
I had to pay for the use of it too, which wasn't cheap.

lormur
04-24-2008, 10:30 PM
Bill, It is just good to see you back online again. You have so much to offer.

ParoledIn98
04-25-2008, 06:03 AM
Bill, It is just good to see you back online again. You have so much to offer.
Ty mamma Jean...it's good to be back too :thumbsup:

Bill

Mahatma
04-29-2008, 07:29 PM
This is in my field and right up my alley. Some of these devices are old and kind of antiquated and some are very high tech. What you sound like you will be dealing with is a device (ank) that sends signals at a set duration say every four seconds maybe to a base (home). The signal ank sends to the home can be the complex part. Older ank systems can not project far. If the signal to the home stops being received home signals over the analog line you are not within your bounds or MIA. The base (home) either is setup to send the signals at a set rate and will begin showing you out of the area over the analog line, or it can be setup to only signal when the ank device stops sending a signal. If home stops receiving a signal meaning you have gone out of bounds it alerts the police. The problem with these older devices is the same problem you have with wireless networks. Sometimes while you are still legally in bounds something blocks the signal. Lots of things can do it like wireless phones or walls or whatever. Now that being explained there are new devices that work on GPS and use mobile phone technologyl These can receive request (like where is this guy) and or be set to send when out of a certain range. They know this information because of the GPS, it knows your coordinates (location) all the time . There is also the SCRAM system that basically uses one of these location monitoring technologies while also monitoring your blood alcohol level. If it detects alcohol it sends a signal to a station that reports you are drinking. Whether a home base unit or to a station in case of cell technology.

Mahatma

shawnee12334
08-19-2008, 07:22 PM
WOW now im scared to death. My husbands not home yet but ill be extra extra careful about everything. I pray for a PO thats cool and God help us. My husband CANNOT go back to prison EVER. Howe long do they have to be on the monitor? We are going back to court to get all this off of him soon. He did 18 years on a Burglary of a Habitation. PFFFT thats Texas for you.

piercedkitten83
11-17-2009, 08:44 PM
Wow, I really hope paroledin98 was just kidding about getting arrested due to the pets tampering with the box. I'm 99% positive my husband is going to need this and I have 2 cats that love to get into everything. They seriously cannot send someone back to prison for that! :eek:

vicloo
11-18-2009, 08:33 AM
I am getting a tad nervous now. My son is due to be released next week on the monitor for the first two months of parole. If that goes well the next 7 or 8 will be monitor free. I am praying that his PO will not be the kind just looking for any little thing to get him on. I think that we should be able to handle it for two months though. We have no other good choice.

Myguysinmoco
11-23-2009, 10:21 PM
I don't know if this is the right place, but I will ask. My husband is on parole and a warrant was issued for him and he is now locked up in Harris county jail awaiting trial (he was accused of doing something, but he is innocent and its ridiculous that he should sit in there waiting a year for a trial to plead guilty and provide testimony about his alibi), because he is on parole, he cannot get bond, and I am wondering if it would be worth it for me to write the Texas parole board to request he be allowed to return home on an ankle monitor while awaiting trial, has anyone ever heard of this sort of thing being done? What do I need to do, who do I need to contact. PLEASE HELP. Its horrible to watch him suffer in there when he is innocent.

Myguysinmoco
11-23-2009, 10:27 PM
WOW now im scared to death. My husbands not home yet but ill be extra extra careful about everything. I pray for a PO thats cool and God help us. My husband CANNOT go back to prison EVER. Howe long do they have to be on the monitor? We are going back to court to get all this off of him soon. He did 18 years on a Burglary of a Habitation. PFFFT thats Texas for you.

Wow, my husband was sentenced to 44 years for burglary of a building and served 16 before he got parole, they must have had the same judge!, let me know what resources (if you have any) you are using to get this off him (I'm assuming you are appealing his sentence somehow), we want to do the same....its rough being on parole, someone can get mad and accuse you of something and bam, your back in there fighting again.

ktarp001
12-21-2009, 04:13 PM
Lovely! I think I'm still confused on why I need two seperate lines, but I guess I'll deal with that later. We don't use the phone line at all, it was set up JUST for this purpose. And I'm still confused on whether or not the line is correct...it's digital through a modem yet is plugged into a phone jack. Uhhh...what!? =) Nonetheless, I don't even know yet if he'll need a monitor. I was just trying to prepare early for him coming home!

Here is my experience and I am going through the same thing. The PO came by today to install the monitor. He asked if we had internet and stuff. I told him we have digital, phone, cable, internet. The only thing he told me was that if I have voice mail that I will have to have that disabled and if I have an answering machine on that it needs to be turned off. SO I contacted the cable/phone company and they disabled the voicemail feature with supervisor approval. If i wouldn't have been able to do that, then I would have had to have gotten another line. HOpe this helps, this is what I just went through this morning and my son gets released on Wednesday.