View Full Version : Do Inmates Know Who Sent Money

joshtyra
04-21-2008, 11:59 AM
Do they know who sent them the money through J-Pay??

a_coleman
04-21-2008, 12:09 PM
Yes they do-they get a statement every month and it has the name of the person who sent the money

joshtyra
04-21-2008, 12:20 PM
thanks alot for the help

a_coleman
04-21-2008, 12:21 PM
no problem-anytime;)

momofthreetx
04-21-2008, 04:10 PM
OK, I have a related question...

Do the inmates receive notification that they have money in the account? My Hubby was just transferred from Dallas County to Middleton. I am sure he thinks we "forgot" him. (yeah like that would happen) I have sent him several letters and, thanks to you all, stationary supplies. He may not realize that he has money to be able to buy stamps. I hate the disconnect when he was transferred.

Kacee
04-21-2008, 07:07 PM
Hi Momof, yes they will let him know that he has money for commissary. It will probably take a while (couple weeks sometimes) for the letters you have sent him to arrive. Just write and let him know that he will have more coming from county that you mailed. They also can take some stuff from county with them--at least my son was able to when he caught chain from Travis county to Holliday. Good luck to you!!

smallngood
04-23-2008, 07:41 AM
Inmates in TDCJ can go to the comminsary and run their ID card through to see if they have money or not- -usually the way inmates do it is to go there with the idea they ARE going to buy some things, because if they run their card and not buy anything, that is considered "using your card" so they have to wait until the next two weeks to use it to buy stuff- -understand?
Trust me, if they don't know a single thing- -the FIRST thing they learn is how to get comminsary.

Unbroken
04-23-2008, 08:09 AM
Well said Small... I for one, never recieved any notification that funds had been sent to my account... and as you stated, I'd go to "make store" just as if I had money on the account, with list in hand. The only time I was ever notified of transactions on my inmate trust fund account, was if it involved paying for my college coursework, which is required to be paid via the trust fund account. (unless you qualified for a grant)

Peace, Dan

RobinsMan
04-23-2008, 08:53 AM
Robin sends me her ITF statements and commissary receipts. I have no idea how she comes by the statements. Maybe she requests them but she has never mentioned having to do anything out of the ordinary to get one. I have always assumed that they came to her by some normal process within the unit and specifically thought that it was a normal monthly thing because the handbook states that a monthly statement is sent (page 45). I think that it must be that some units do this and other don't but she has sent them from both Plane and Hobby. Her statements give the name of the person that made each deposit.

Sefton
04-24-2008, 01:22 AM
I for one, never recieved any notification that funds had been sent to my account.
Must be something new, because I never got anything either.
The only reason I found out it was in there was through a letter from home or loved ones telling me at visitation...or, like Unbroken and smallngood said - running your card at commissary.
"Running your card" is also one of those deals where you may or may not make store that day. Some units actually have commissary employees who have their day made by telling an offender "No money, bye." Then there are some who will run it and if the money's hit they let you make store.

redhaired_dolly
04-27-2008, 04:48 PM
Sometimes if the money is wired or they send a money order, they don't always have to put their name on it. But through JPay they usually know who sends it. I know this can cause drama for people wondering where money came from at times so I just thought I'd point that out. My man doesn't know he has money unless someone sends him a letter saying so or he goes to commissary and it's there on his books.

kittkatt
04-27-2008, 05:14 PM
I know my son doesn't know until he fills out a commisary list and purchases items. He then is given a statement that will give him the remainder of his balance. We mut corespond when he needs money added to his fund. Sounds like each unit may have their on set of rules. Why does this not suprise me.

Brandons Mom

RobinsMan
04-27-2008, 08:55 PM
I asked Robin about her ITF statements when I visitated with her Saturday. She said that he statements come to her when they hand out the mail with no request or effort on her part. Plainly, vey few units actually do what the offender handbook says they do.

"Offenders receive monthly bank statements itemizing account transactions."

Mrs. Low
04-27-2008, 10:19 PM
My husband always reminds me to let him know via letter or visit when I have sent money. He has never received a notice. Back when I was doing snail mail for money, he would always remind me to inlude a copy of the money order. Now that I use J-Pay, I notify him when I have sent it.

Live2luvhim
04-27-2008, 10:56 PM
I often wondered the same thing if they knew. but I always write my husband and let him know when i sent it and how much.

cowgirl1962
04-28-2008, 12:01 AM
From my understand from what my husband tells me he gets a statement every month. But I also write and tell him so that he will also know when to expect it to be credited to his account.

JaycieDnTejas
04-28-2008, 10:25 AM
My daughter always knows her balance. She's at Plane.

smallngood
04-28-2008, 10:42 AM
Also- -with TDCJ, every inmate receivs a "statement" once a month showing what they have- -or don't have on their books.
It is passed out with the normal mail.
LOTS of times a inmate doesn't even pick it up- -mainly if he "owes" on a bet of something and he doesn't want to pay, he'll just say he doesn't have any money.
Usually though, those not dumb enough to bet, will receive this notice.
In ALL TDCJ units, no exception, basically because it is considered "mail"- - a felony if it is not at least tried to be given to the inmate.
If the inmate gets moved or transferred, might take a while, but one does try to give it to him.
Be safe.

RobinsMan
04-29-2008, 08:55 AM
The statement is one of those things where you tear the ends off to open it up. Robin will tear a little bit off of one end to peek in then she immediately mails it home. She doesn't owe anybody anything but she won't even throw it away for it to be found by others.

Sefton
04-29-2008, 09:12 AM
Okay, now I remember that thing.
Yeah, I got one of those every month. It's a carbon copy sealed printout thing-a-ma-bob. The mail CO passed it out at mail call and then the dayroom trashcan ended up full of 'em.

ReggiesLady
04-29-2008, 09:47 AM
At my hubby's last unit rarely ever received them (maybe once every few months) but he has been receiving them where he is at now on a regular basis.

Mrs. Low
04-29-2008, 05:23 PM
Yeah, my husband used to receive them at one unit he was at but he receives them every now and then, which is the reason that I always notify him of how much I have sent.

bastet@tisd.net
04-29-2008, 05:35 PM
Hi all, I'm new here. My son is in E. Glossbrenner San Diego TX. This unfortunately is his second time. The problem is that he says that they haven't had any money slips to send home. I don't know if he's just trying to save me from sending him money or if its true. Anyone else know anything about it? I know he needs money badly. Many thanks

Vinny'sBaby
04-29-2008, 07:54 PM
Welcome bastet!

I don't know about how to get the deposit slips other than from the guys. But you could always try jpay. A lot of people go that route rather than using the slips and mailing the money in. It's just a thought.

RobinsMan
04-30-2008, 08:32 AM
Besides www.jpay.com (http://www.jpay.com) (which you pay by credit card) you can use ACE (America Cash Express) or Western Union. You might also call the Inmate Trust Fund people in Huntsville at 936-438-8990. I talked to them right after Robin caught chain and they mailed me an application for free monthly debits and they sent me several deposit slips (for mailing in money order or cashier check) along with it.

davidsister
05-01-2008, 11:46 AM
I wanted to say thank you for all of the info. I just sent money through JPay today and my brother just went to Gurney Tuesday A.M. I was wondering if they let them know they they have money in their trust accounts. I was not sure so I mailed him a letter to let him know we knew where he was and that he had money. Thanks to you all for the support!!! :D