View Full Version : Sending Paper / Envelopes and his books for commisary.

Sade4us
04-16-2008, 12:37 PM
1. How much money would you recommend putting on someone's books? bi monthly. Or ever two weeks?

2. What is a comfortable amount for anyone to have on their books?

3. I'm looking to send him some paper however I'm not sure it will get through.
I’ll call but I thought I'd ask.
He uses a typewriter therefore he needs copy paper. I found some online but they only come in 20lb boxes. Tons and Tons of paper. That way he has no excuse for not writing. :D
Is this obnoxious and will he be able to receive it?

4. When you send envelopes, do you send it in a box of 500?

RobinsMan
04-16-2008, 01:07 PM
They can only spend $75 every two weeks. For Robin that is more than enough. There are times there could be more because some things are more expensive and they don't count against the $75 limit. There are also some spends that the limit is raised to $100, such as around Christmas or Thanksgiving.

In my opinion any amount that someone is comfortable with placing there is ok. I have heard that lump payments from $600 or more will get the account frozen for a while. I guess for them to decide what's up with that. If I had the money to do it I would put quite a bit into Robins account just in case something happened to me where I couldn't keep up her commissary. An alternative, though, is to set up automatic debits from a checking or savings account and keep the money in there instead. Automatic debits are at no cost.

How many reams of paper makes 20lb? I'm not sure where you might buy plain paper from but I'd be very concerned about that much paper because he has very limited room to store his property and he has to carry all property with him to the gym that where she has plain white single sheets for a typewriter. You could call her and see if she couldn't include that product in smaller quantities (than 20lb) for you if you need it. She's very nice.

I usually send envlopes about 100 at a time.

sandrasheets
04-16-2008, 01:32 PM
I personally put $50 on his books each month. If he needs more than that, he'll always let me know and I give him more, but he can't spend more than $75 a month anyway.

I send him 50 envelopes a month, every month. Once he gets his property, he'll start typing again but has always used regular lined paper for that, not copy paper. I get him 2-3 tables of regular lined paper every month. I order from www.rosiesgraphics.com (http://www.rosiesgraphics.com). She's extremely familiar with TDCJ policies and only sells things that are allowed in.

smallngood
04-17-2008, 08:26 AM
A inmate in TDCJ is allowed UP to 150.00 a month for commissary.
One can send whatever they can, simple, just not OVER 150.00.
On the paper, he can get that there, but you can send one package with some envelopes if you want. Most office supply stores will send it out- -IF- -the unit does NOT have a PO Box address. Some units do, some don't.
Hope this helps.

RobinsMan
04-17-2008, 09:04 AM
Just so it is clear, there is not a $150 limit on what you can put on his books. The limit is on what they can spend per month.

metro3480
04-17-2008, 09:40 AM
You also might want to check with the unit before you send a lot of envelopes. Some units make them stand there at the mail room and write their name and ID number on them before they let them have them. So if you send a lot of envelopes at one time, it will take them quite some time to do it. Rosie's will print their name and ID number on the envelopes for free. But, before I would do that I'd check with your guy first.

metro3480
04-17-2008, 09:44 AM
Please Note:

Cash and personal checks are not accepted and will be returned to the sender. Single transaction deposits of $500.00 or more and/or insurance, company, payroll, or estate checks, and other like disbursements are held 14 days before offender access is authorized. Forwarding cash through the mail is not recommended.

Do not send trust fund deposits to offender's facility of assignment and do not send offender's personal mail or other items to the Inmate Trust Fund.

The Inmate Trust Fund can respond to inquiries concerning the receipt of a deposit, but cannot release information regarding the offender's account or balance to anyone except the offender. Offenders receive monthly statements listing all trust fund account transactions for that period.

The Inmate Trust Fund does not pay interest; therefore, the account should hold no more than what is required to meet the offender's immediate needs. Offenders with funds in excess of their immediate needs are encouraged to open an account with and transfer excess funds to a banking facility of their choice. Offenders may use funds in their trust fund accounts to make purchases from the facility commissary, or through approved vendors and to send funds to family or friends. An offender's Trust Fund balance is refunded upon release.

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/finance/comm&trust/comm&trust-inmatetrust.htm

They can have any amount of money they want in their account. I've heard of a couple of instance where inmates have had a couple of thousand dollars in their account.

RobinsMan
04-17-2008, 10:04 AM
The best benefit of using www.rosiesgraphics.com (http://www.rosiesgraphics.com) (in my opinion) is because she will print their name and number on the envelope for free if you request it. First time I sent a bunch of envelopes to Robin I had not done this and she had to stand out in freezing wet weather as a cold front blew in having to write that out on every last envelope. Needless to say I won't be making that mistake again.

sandrasheets
04-17-2008, 10:11 AM
That's the same reason I use Rosie's...I don't want Ken having to stand around and put his name on 50+ envelopes. Plus she ships fast, it's easy to order and pay. Just always had a great experience with her.

Sefton
04-17-2008, 10:29 AM
Just so it is clear, there is not a $150 limit on what you can put on his books. The limit is on what they can spend per month.

I can vouch for that. I knew a guy who had $7000 in his ITF. :confused:
My folks sent me about $100 a month and that was plenty.

roy'smecca
04-17-2008, 10:34 AM
There is a difference between the weight-based name that is used to describe the paper and the actual weight of the quantity of paper you order. A certain thickness of paper is described as 20 lb. paper in printers' lingo, because a 500-sheet ream of that paper would weigh 20 lbs...but it's often sold in much smaller quantities...Rosie sells a tablet of 20-lb. paper, but the tablet is only 50 sheets...don't know but maybe this relates to the question of sending the 20 lbs of paper.

roy'smecca
04-17-2008, 10:36 AM
Never mind my above post! I re-read your post and realize it's copy paper that you are talking about.

JaycieDnTejas
04-17-2008, 10:58 AM
1. How much money would you recommend putting on someone's books? bi monthly. Or ever two weeks? DEPENDS ON IF THEY LIKE THE FOOD IN THERE OR NOT :) I SEND BETWEEN $150-$175 A MONTH BUT LIKE EVERYONE SAYS, THE INMATE IS LIMITED AS TO HOW MUCH HE IS ALLOWED TO SPEND EACH TIME.

2. What is a comfortable amount for anyone to have on their books?

3. I'm looking to send him some paper however I'm not sure it will get through. BE SURE YOU ARE NOT PLANNING TO SEND THIS YOURSELF. IT HAS TO COME DIRECTLY FROM A VENDOR LIKE ROSIE'S GRAPHICS OR OFFICE DEPOT. AND YES, THEY DO HAVE TO IMMEDIATELY PUT THEIR NAME AND ID ON EACH ENVELOPE....
Iíll call but I thought I'd ask.
He uses a typewriter therefore he needs copy paper. I found some online but they only come in 20lb boxes. Tons and Tons of paper. That way he has no excuse for not writing. :D
Is this obnoxious and will he be able to receive it?

4. When you send envelopes, do you send it in a box of 500? I MADE THE MISTAKE OF SENDING 500 TO MY DAUGHTER WITHOUT REALIZING IT WAS 500. I WAS IN A HURRY WHEN I PLACED MY ORDER. AND I DID NOT KNOW SHE HAD TO WRITE ON EVERY ONE OF THEM. THEY GAVE HER AN HOUR TO DO IT AND SHE GOT HELP FROM A COUPLE OF NICE LADIES! MY BAD. IF THERE IS A NEXT TIME I'LL LOWER THE QUANTITY CONSIDERABLY -- 100 THAT ROYCE SUGGESTED SOUNDS ABOUT RIGHT!

He is lucky to have you.

RobinsMan
04-17-2008, 11:21 AM
I try to strike a happy medium between enough to last a while and not hitting her too hard on storage space. I can send Robin envelopes every week if I need to and it is no big hassel for me but she can go close to three months on 100 envelopes so I leave it at that and just order more when she asks. I really have to think about what all I send her because she's not all that big and carrying all her stuff during lockdown was not even possible for her the fist time around. This last time her technique was better and she made it there and back upstairs with only bruised shoulders to show for it.

metro3480
04-17-2008, 12:19 PM
I send my wife around $200 a month. That way she has the commissary money and has money left over for other things as well. She likes to oreder her own paper and writting supplies and she can do that. She also likes to order her own magazine subscriptions and buys a lot of her own books with the money. She gets a rather large catalog from a discount book seller and a lot of the books sell for only a couple of dollars. I guess it helps her feel like she has at least a little independence and that she doesn't have to feel so dependant on me. I try to keep about $100. more on her account than she really needs, because who knows if a time comes when I won;t be able to send her any money. If it does she won't be broke.

I don't think Hobby makes them write their name and ID number on the envelopes, but I could be wrong.

RobinsMan
04-17-2008, 01:09 PM
I don't think so either. It was Plane where she had to stand out in the cold. Hobby is laid back about some things and I mean waaaaaaaaay back.

metro3480
04-17-2008, 01:37 PM
I don't know anything about any of the other places. My wife and some other women with her pulled chain straight from County to Hobby and she has been there ever since.

Sefton
04-17-2008, 02:13 PM
I really have to think about what all I send her because she's not all that big and carrying all her stuff during lockdown was not even possible for her the fist time around. This last time her technique was better and she made it there and back upstairs with only bruised shoulders to show for it.

God, I remember doing that a couple times - especially early on. One unit shakedown I had way too much stuff (needed two bags) then you gotta take your sheets and blanket too, I was crapped out by the time I got to the gym.
You start to get a little wiser (as in all things about being inside) and can just about time when they're going to do another one, so you start to minimize what you have on hand. Plus, eventually you learn to just "hobo it" and pile it all in your sheets, wrap it up and hump on over there that way.
:o

metro3480
04-17-2008, 02:17 PM
Plus, eventually you learn to just "hobo it" and pile it all in your sheets, wrap it up and hump on over there that way.
:o

So that explains the letter I got from my wife after the last one. She was talking about how it was cold and didn't want to use her blanket because it was really dirty.

RobinsMan
04-17-2008, 02:26 PM
Robin tried to carry everything in commissary bags the first time and it was just too much to try to keep a hold on. She got it downstairs and over to the gym but coming back she was completely wore out and had dropped and exlpoded a couple of orange sodas olong the way. When she got to the building she was trying to get it all up the stairs and could make the first step. Of course, CO's won't let you leave part of it and come back for the rest nor will they let someone else help you. Finally the CO got tired of standing there looking at her and went off to do real work and real quick like two other gals hussled her stuff upstairs for her. This time it all went into the sheet and off she went. She tried to offload as much as she could but they did the usual thing where they talk about lockdown and talk about it and talk about it and all the while people are dumping stuff and working down on commissary. Finally, at some point, everyone gives up on it and make s big run to commissary figuring lockdown wil never happens and THATS when they do it. Still, she carried her own this time there and back - probably dragging it most of the way. They get to do it again here in a couple of months.

RobinsMan
04-17-2008, 02:31 PM
Sorry. I'm supposed to be setting a good example here and not leading threads waaaaaaay off topic. (Hey, I got to type waaaaaaay twice in one day)

Dillon's Wife
04-17-2008, 03:12 PM
It was an interesting read, Royce, so IMO, no apologies are necessary. :)
Thank you for sharing--

I use Office Depot for Dillon's paper and envelopes. They will keep all your info in the computer--Offender's name, TDCJ #, unit's address, etc. They know what is allowed and so forth.
All I have to do is go to the service counter, tell them that I'd like to send supplies to an inmate and they'll print out an invoice that I then take to the checkout and pay.
Anyway, thought I'd share.

(http://www.TickerFactory.com/)
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10722;80/st/20090101/e/Dillon%27s+PRD%21/dt/-1/k/5cb3/event.png
(http://www.TickerFactory.com/)

RobinsMan
04-17-2008, 10:29 PM
That's the first (as I recall) I've heard of Office Depot being accomodating as far as sending supplies to a prison. I'm glad to hear that.

doc's honeee
04-18-2008, 05:06 AM
...She likes to order her own paper and writting supplies and she can do that. She also likes to order her own magazine subscriptions and buys a lot of her own books with the money. She gets a rather large catalog from a discount book seller and a lot of the books sell for only a couple of dollars. I guess it helps her feel like she has at least a little independence and that she doesn't have to feel so dependant on me.

metro - or others - How can offenders order their own stuff? I didn't know they could do that. Do you send catalogs? thanx
Peace Marianne

metro3480
04-18-2008, 04:58 PM
metro - or others - How can offenders order their own stuff? I didn't know they could do that. Do you send catalogs? thanx
Peace Marianne

They can order books, magazine subscriptions and writting supplies themselves. My wife orders her own paper and envelopes from Rosie's. She gets her own magazine subscriptions and buys a lot of her own books. She receives book catalogs from companies like Edward R. Hamilton Bookseller. (Which has cheap books) She can also order from catalogs about anything she wants as long as it is shipped to someone else. She buys friends and family birthday and Christmas gifts that way. I signed her up for a bunch of mail order catalogs. When she wants to buy something, she puts in an I-60 with the mailroom (if I remember right) requesting a check be made out to the catalog and for what amount. When it is ready she gives them the order form and they send it out with the check.

doc's honeee
04-21-2008, 05:50 AM
Thank you so much! I know he would want to order his own books, etc. He reads a lot and I run out of time looking for good books! Peace Marianne

metro3480
04-21-2008, 06:38 PM
Thank you so much! I know he would want to order his own books, etc. He reads a lot and I run out of time looking for good books! Peace Marianne

Here is a mail order book catalog you can send him

http://edwardrhamilton.com/

doc's honeee
04-21-2008, 09:14 PM
Thank you!! That's funny, the company is only about 1/2 hour from me!

JM3Lynn
04-21-2008, 10:41 PM
They can buy envelopes and whatnot in TDC also, can't they? I went into office max also, hoping they would help me out...but they said the things I could actually send him were very limited.

doc's honeee
04-22-2008, 04:47 AM
Go to www.rosiesgraphics.com (http://www.rosiesgraphics.com) she is really great. You can call and talk to her, she knows what they can and can't have. When you buy envelopes, you can have the name and # printed on. That was a big hit when I sent that! He will have to buy stamps in the commissary.

metro3480
04-22-2008, 06:40 AM
They can buy envelopes and whatnot in TDC also, can't they? I went into office max also, hoping they would help me out...but they said the things I could actually send him were very limited.

Yes, they can buy envelopes and stuff themselves. rosiesgraphics.com is a good place for them to get them. She knows what they can have, she ships quickly and has wonderful customer service. She also sells games and puzzles and stuff like that and her prices are very reasonable. When she ships them something she also includes a catalog and order form and they can order for themselves if they want.

My wife told me once that Rosie is also a past guest of TDC. She likes buying stuff from her for that reason instead of Office Depot or somewhere else.

Mahatma
04-24-2008, 12:08 PM
I know two different girls in two different prisons. One just got there Marce the other Min has been there for some time. Min told me what all the GV unit in Gatesville could have. She said something about it having to be sent from a place of business? Can I send her stuff from MY place of business (computer store) or does it need to come from a vendor they know? If I can send it then I could mass print the return address and TDC number on it for her. I called Bowie Correctional Center to find what I could send and they just told me to send it. If she couldn't have it they would send it back. He did tell me he thought their stuff had to come from the commissary. I don't know if Marce's place is for long not (BCC). I know Min is staying where she is (GV). Does anyone know the place of business rule or the name address tdc # rule for GV?

Mahatma

RobinsMan
04-24-2008, 12:40 PM
What will happen is if the mail room employees do not recognize the vendor they will refer it to their contact at the Mail System Coordinator Panel office (each unit has one) and that person will attempt to verify the legitimacy of the business. This could be nothing more than calling the place if a phone number is available or maybe checking for it online or whatever method works. So, I would think that as long as this verification can be made to their satisfaction it should be ok. This comes to me from having to do a little of my own footwork to authenticate a vendor that the MSCP could not readily identify themself. I sent them copies of the e-mails I had received verifying an online order and it was good to go.

Mahatma
04-24-2008, 03:12 PM
So anything that would be considered for their use would need to come from a business. The only thing they are allowed to receive from us would be personal mail or information that would help their case? I was thinking of sending her a manila envelope with some stuff she had asked me to look up for her such as a copy of the latest PD-22. I was going to include some envelopes and filler paper in this for her but that would not work correct??? I could send a copy of the PD-22 but not the envelopes because the envelopes need to come from a business?? Thanks Robinsman I have been reading up on some of your post. One of my dads favorite quotes when he was with us was "Good judgment comes for experience and experience comes from bad jusdgment!" Nothing beats good ole been there tried that!

RobinsMan
04-24-2008, 09:01 PM
...I could send a copy of the PD-22 but not the envelopes because the envelopes need to come from a business?? ...

Exactly.

You can send her personal correspondence of any type as long as it is not contraband or content that is somehow a security risk. In general, that would be letters, either handwritten or typed, or printed pages of any sort including various legal forms NOT to include most blank tax forms. What can be sent from a business but not by you personally is stationary including envelopes, gummed writing tablets (no staples) and some various other items - but definitely not stamps. Please be sure to study what is permitted to be sent from a business before you do so. You might look at www.rosiesgraphics.com (http://www.rosiesgraphics.com). She does an outstanding job of providing mail order products to TDC that are acceptable to be sent. What can be sent from a business besides what Rosie provides are books, as long as the content is acceptable. If you have more detailed questions please feel free to ask.

Mahatma
04-25-2008, 05:38 AM
I thought I would add this. This is from my last letter from Min. Now these are what is permitted at the GV unit in Gatesville. <quoted from the letter> White only stationary, filler paper that I am writing on (just like what you would put in your old HS notebook) Blank note cards- color envelopes are permitted as long as it comes with note cards. These imbeciles started coloring their undies and the next thing we know colored stationary in no longer permitted to offenders. Books any w/o sex graphic material. Newspapers, magazines, journals, Bibles everything else we must purchase off our commissary As long as they are wireless (think security) books, educational, religous, legal etc. we are able to have them. If you have a question about anything let me know and I will ask them. Just remember items must be mailed from a place of business. And nothing with industrial sized staples. Writing supplies such as legal pads, calendars journal etc need to be glue based (small staples are ok)

Oops thought I would say what the PD-22 is. PD-22 Listing of employee General rules of conduct & disciplinary violations. They utilize these rules to protect themselves against the officers who abuse their authority. They can write cases to resolve the matter. I am also looking for the TDCJ - Health Services Division Policy Manual. Actually I am looking for an attachment from it. I am sure this goes in another forum but maybe you Robinsman can tell me where? I found a document labled as such from TDCJ but the content is not correct. I think what I have found is rules to release of inmate health information. That is not what she is looking for.